Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,757 members, 7,798,531 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

4 Personality Traits Of Successful Freelancers - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 4 Personality Traits Of Successful Freelancers (1151 Views)

MY Contribution To Any 9ja Personality Seeking 4 Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

4 Personality Traits Of Successful Freelancers by lightheart(m): 9:02pm On Oct 22, 2014
There are certainly more, but here are the first 4…

1. Curiosity. Many solopreneurs consider themselves to be introverted or shy. You just want to do your work, right? You don’t want to promote it, and sometimes you don’t even want to deal with your paying clients. If you are curious, you know that any interaction with a client and/or prospect is an opportunity to learn more about what they need and how you can help them. If you’re not curious, you may be certain. In fact, certainty may be running your life and you may not even notice it, that’s how subtle it can be.

Here’s one way to tell: When you think about reaching out to a new prospect, is your first thought, “They probably don’t need someone like me,” or is it, “I wonder what they need.” Certainty is imagining you know things you couldn’t possibly know, like what your prospects need or want before talking to them. That will keep your world (and your business) narrow. As a freelancer, the more curious you are, the wider your network will be and the greater your potential for growth. That type of curiosity is worth developing.

2. Self-Discipline. For both new freelancers and veterans, self discipline can be a challenge. It’s up to you to determine what needs to be done and then to do it. This covers everything from getting up at the same time every day (no matter how you feel) to meeting project deadlines. You may think you’re accountable to your clients and, to a certain extent, you are. But as a freelancer, you are mostly accountable to yourself and the strength must come from within. If you don’t have that in place, you will need to establish that foundation, which takes practice, especially if you’re accustomed to having a boss.

3. Professionalism. A reputation of flakiness precedes most creatives. So you have to work against that preconception, sometimes even going overboard, by being more buttoned up than you might be underneath it all, to override that impression. This can even include dressing for work. Not that there’s anything wrong with working in your pajamas (you’re free to do that). But getting dressed to work can have a psychological effect on you; it is often more conducive to being productive.

4. Organizational skills. Success doesn’t spring from chaos. With piles of paper on your desk and your inbox overflowing with email, you won’t get far. Important information or requests from prospects may need your attention, but if you’re not organized, you’ll miss opportunities without even knowing it! Order is essential and it’s a skill you can learn, but it requires discipline.

Source: http://www.howdesign.com/creative-freelancer-blog/4-personality-traits-successful-freelancers/
Re: 4 Personality Traits Of Successful Freelancers by mcdokwe(m): 5:43pm On Oct 23, 2014
Lightheart, I had to trace you through www.nairaland.com/454908/logo-flier-banner-designs-free/18#9732545 remember? I need us to talk.
Re: 4 Personality Traits Of Successful Freelancers by lightheart(m): 6:42pm On Oct 23, 2014
mcdokwe:
Lightheart, I had to trace you through www.nairaland.com/454908/logo-flier-banner-designs-free/18#9732545 remember? I need us to talk.

I do remember, boss. I just shot you an sms.
Cheers!

(1) (Reply)

How Long? / SEE What Nairalander Was Caught Doing On Paper! / How To Register For Autodesk 3D Model Design Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.