Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? (28740 Views)

Discipline Or Stupidity? / Does Flogging A Child = Discipline Or Abuse / Discipline Or Wickedness : Child Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by ShakurM(m): 2:51pm On Oct 23, 2014
manutdadex:
not to dat extend...kids are like lame leg,u can hardly av control ova dem and dey wont understnd u dat much wen u start to explain,at dat moment dey will understnd u ,jst some mins latr dey are back to wat u scolded dem for...but cain na like constant reminder
Agreeably, differences dey in some pikins sha.

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by micsade(f): 2:53pm On Oct 23, 2014
i remember the last time my mum flogged me, while flogging me, i was just laughing. it was then it dawned on her that flogging does not work with me. she then decided to pay close attention to what i loved doing the most and realized it was sleeping. since then, if i wronged her, she'll wake me up at 1am and talk to me till like 3pm on why she didn't like what i did to make her annoyed. ever since, i stopped making her angry cos i knew i would lose two hours of sleep.
advise is: study your child before choosing the kind of disciplinary measure to use.

1 Like

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 23, 2014
MovingMax:
. Bros, ar u against the teachings in the holy books.Our problem is, we are confuse on which culture to raise our children. Some people that believe in western culture while abode in Nigeria will say is wrong to beat a child.spare the rod and spoil ur child. Pls beating the child when he\she do wrong & living examplary live worthy of emulation by ur children is the best way of raising a child. Do not swallow hook,line & sinker the western child right act because its paining them now

i'm against any teachings that doesnt maximize the human well being which this is one of them,

Forget culture, dont let any culture dictate how to raise your child.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by FlyboyZee: 3:15pm On Oct 23, 2014
mirexxx:
the rod doesn't mean flogging alone na, there r oda ways u can discipline a child. if am grounded 4 an hour,without my gadgets n locked in my room chaii i give up on dat strong head o. beating kids sha. dey dont 4get it o and might hate u sef
At what age would that begin to work? Bone that yarn, children wey dem no beat in my days all the behave like morrons, foools and iddiots now wey we all don become men and women with children. Bone all these your oyibo ish. My children no dey try nonsense where I dey, but dem dey use their mama do boju boju because she no dey beat dem, me I dey beat very well to treat their F' ups. Crying does not kill a child, it has never killed a child and it won't start killing a child now.

If you spare the rod for the child wetin you wan use the spared rod do? Just asking anyways...
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 23, 2014
tete7000:

My brother pain is part of life. We can't live in this life without undergoing one pain or the other. When pain is paired with a stimuli, you get a properly conditioned response. When a child recognises doing a particular stupid action, brings him/her pain then the child learns to avoid such stupid action. That's the logic behind discipline and reward. You punish (inflict pain on the offender for) wrong behaviours while you reward good behaviour.
Why should anyone be afraid to inflict pain on a silly and recalcitrant child. The bible says 'in the heart of a child is stored up folly, it's the rod of correction that drives it away'. Beat your child while he/she can still take correction or you spend your old age regretting when they won't mind inflicting on you the pain you are afraid of inflicting on them now.

my boss, i know pain is part of life, what i'm saying is that inflicting pain on children is pure abuse.

I know it contradicts with your bible, but lets look at it from this perspective. Can a child reach his/her full potential in an environment where beating, tongue lashing is the best thing to do when a child misbehave.

Can a child develop confidence,courage, self esteem if he/she is always in fear?

Have you ever asked why the child is silly or irecalcitrant?

About the bible part, what about other part that says kill your rebellious son?
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by iamakbar(m): 3:23pm On Oct 23, 2014
It all depends on measurement, when u beat a child on the slightest provocation, it becomes an abuse, same thing goes for sparing the child all the time, such child might become incorrigible. Even when you want to discipline, make such child understand the full import of his/her mistake before you discipline, don't just pounce on the child like a lunatic.... that might spur hatred in the child's heart.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 23, 2014
Gbaskybabe:
when a child does something wrong and you say "hay leave that place" the child has the tendency of going back there because there was nothing to back up the shouting.but a little spanking will remind the child that you mean business when you said she should leave the place

Ten
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2014
Corporal punishment, including flogging is a criminal act in Lagos State schools.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2014
Dad gave me a slap if was misbehaving and it brought me back to my senses grin
same applies to my daughter, a slap but i would never beat her. cry
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by deasy(m): 3:39pm On Oct 23, 2014
Your child isn't an animal but human as you(The parent).They are just too naive on how to live life, they are just learning how to live. You know? They will make mistakes...even we parent make mistakes at times and no one beats us.
"we are all fallible and because of our fallibility...we are bound to make mistakes, do wrongs, offend some, go against the rule given..."
To me, when our children do the wrongs we just need to exercise patience in putting them through...don't allow anger to take control.
This kids have thier own nature and temprament...we need to know what kinda discipline works on then.
Beating/Spanking/Hitting your kids is part of discipline...it should be use fast/quickly to correct a kid, but what makes it an Abuse is that many parent don't care about the pains/feelings the child ingested included with maybe the anger YOU(Parent) used in the process.
My advice, don't use this discipline method as your only discipline tool.When you find yourself using it...make sure you clear off the air and start afreash... by bringing you kids closer, let them know you are sorry and let them know what they did is wrong.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by mirexxx(f): 3:46pm On Oct 23, 2014
FlyboyZee:

At what age would that begin to work? Bone that yarn, children wey dem no beat in my days all the behave like morrons, foools and iddiots now wey we all don become men and women with children. Bone all these your oyibo ish. My children no dey try nonsense where I dey, but dem dey use their mama do boju boju because she no dey beat dem, me I dey beat very well to treat their F' ups. Crying does not kill a child, it has never killed a child and it won't start killing a child now.

If you spare the rod for the child wetin you wan use the spared rod do? Just asking anyways...
I know children wey beating na their morning food buh dey r still eedioits. so wat r u saying? if a child decide 2 change and be good he will. if u lyk carry tyre flog am e no go change. u might not lyk d method i suggested buh beating has neva been a solution. not 4 me tho.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by tete7000(m): 4:02pm On Oct 23, 2014
Peterken05:

my boss, i know pain is part of life, what i'm saying is that inflicting pain on children is pure abuse.

I know it contradicts with your bible, but lets look at it from this perspective. Can a child reach his/her full potential in an environment where beating, tongue lashing is the best thing to do when a child misbehave.

Can a child develop confidence,courage, self esteem if he/she is always in fear?

Have you ever asked why the child is silly or irecalcitrant?

About the bible part, what about other part that says kill your rebellious son?

Beating when properly used doesn't do any harm to one's self-esteem rather it enhances it. Yes, when not properly used it can be abused just like even freedom when excessively explored can create problems for the child. The problem with many of us have is in trying to find balance between discipline and abuse. What parents often fail to do is that they can't create an environment where their children feel they love and care for them to the point that they won't harm them. Beating as a discipline only makes sense when a child first feel the parent loves him and won't hurt him. If that kind of parent then beats the child, it sends the child into some kind of introspection as to what could I have done to make my parent who loves me so much to pick cane and flog me? As per fear, in a any relationship between a superior and a subordinate, their must be some element of fear. What you want to avoid is a paralysing kind of fear that denies the subordinate ability to express his feelings. Parents are symbols of authority and as far as I am concerned must carry some fear factor when dealing with their wards. I will find it disgusting if I give instructions to my child and he feels no fear as to know there could be serious repercussions if my instructions are not carried out to the letter.
I am of the class who believe in using cane on children when necessary and nothing changes that perspective of mine. My children know that and at the same time are well aware I love and care for them. Their self esteem is intact and can converse with me without any paralysing fear in them. Our relationship is one borne out of mutual respect and understanding.

3 Likes

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:12pm On Oct 23, 2014
I'm sorry but I'm gonna spank the crap out of my kids when they act up. I lived abroad for a while and I've seen the outcome of their way of raising kids. undecided
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by lutfullah: 4:29pm On Oct 23, 2014
سلام. عليكم. Our childrens are our blood it need care we can play wt it. Mean dat we hv to observe them carefully mostly when they at 2 to 10 they do't need. B beeting but when they above dat we can starting beeting liitle by litle
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Sagamite(m): 4:30pm On Oct 23, 2014
iconize:

The fagggot was even talking about kids, as if he can make babies with his fagggot biatch. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Tell us, what do you know about reproduction, you incestuous homo? grin grin grin

Is this not your homo partner professing love to you.

Homofuuktard, is that not your homosexual community?
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Sagamite(m): 4:32pm On Oct 23, 2014
iconize:

The fagggot was even talking about kids, as if he can make babies with his fagggot biatch. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Tell us, what do you know about reproduction, you incestuous homo? grin grin grin

Is this not your homo partner professing love to you.

Homofuuktard, are you not a product of a failed education system? grin grin grin grin grin

Homofuuktard, is he not from your homosexual community?
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by DaBullIT(m): 4:35pm On Oct 23, 2014
Honest answer

Scolding and flogging is African way of life. Unless you gave birth to half casts or your marry oyinbo. Flog Pikin when wife no dey. Apart from making then obedient. It makes your kids scared of you. . Easiest solution talk to your wife make her consent to normal flogging but play good cop bad cop. Daddy flings mummy begs. But a solid point has been passed across
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by iconize(m): 5:00pm On Oct 23, 2014
Sagamite:

Homofuuktard, is that not your homosexual community?

You mean in the community where you and your partners wear diapers? grin grin grin grin grin

maonkz:

Leave saga alone. I love him angry tongue
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by iconize(m): 5:02pm On Oct 23, 2014
Sagamite:

Homofuuktard, are you not a product of a failed education system? grin grin grin grin grin

Homofuuktard, is he not from your homosexual community?

Faggotm_oron, how can he be from my community? In my community, men don't wear diapers. grin grin grin grin

He professed love to you, asking me to stop beating you. grin grin grin grin grin

maonkz:

Leave saga alone. I love him angry tongue
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by fr3do(m): 5:06pm On Oct 23, 2014
julisa2020:
its dicipline...but when it gets to a certain extent,it becomes abuse...e.g...regular beating of kids at every wrong done dose not always says dicipline...because at a certain stage,beating might become used to the child...so..at times its advisable to use other methods like;tongue lashing and punishments

shocked tongue lashing, insulting is very bad.
Just beat the child but show love.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by fr3do(m): 5:09pm On Oct 23, 2014
Peterken05:
it is pure abuse, why would inflict pain on your child and be happy about it. Thats psycho. Most people beat their children because the holy books say so.

so you think it is happiness that is in the mind of a loving african parent when they discipline their children?
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by manutdadex(m): 5:10pm On Oct 23, 2014
Riclord001:

i hope u won't be beating dem becos u were beaten
say wetin happen? But i will beat dem wen i need to... Will also make sure they get d reasons for d trashin
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by manutdadex(m): 5:11pm On Oct 23, 2014
ShakurM:
Agreeably, differences dey in some pikins sha.
we were told child development start at age 4-5 but dis days i wud say age 3...d rate at which kids pick up habits is...........
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by fr3do(m): 5:17pm On Oct 23, 2014
DaBullIT:
Honest answer

Scolding and flogging is African way of life. Unless you gave birth to half casts or your marry oyinbo. Flog Pikin when wife no dey. Apart from making then obedient. It makes your kids scared of you. . Easiest solution talk to your wife make her consent to normal flogging but play good cop bad cop. Daddy flings mummy begs. But a solid point has been passed across

:/ Ipa, you are getting it wrong.

What will your kids be scared of when you are not there?

Teach them responsibiliity and initiative!
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by SpcAgtOko: 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2014
zeroshadow:
A form of inflicting fear....

Fear is also reverence
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 23, 2014
fr3do:

so you think it is happiness that is in the mind of a loving african parent when they discipline their children?
yh, if they are not happy, they would have stopped, what do you think?
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Sagamite(m): 6:39pm On Oct 23, 2014
iconize:

Faggotm_oron, how can he be from my community? In my community, men don't wear diapers. grin grin grin grin

He professed love to you, asking me to stop beating you. grin grin grin grin grin

Homofuuktard, your community seems to be standing up for you. grin grin grin grin

You are part of the homosexual brotherhood. grin grin grin
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 23, 2014
manutdadex:
i wud beat my kids!! because i was beaten and it helpd me...

Just my thought.
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by ELLYsian: 6:46pm On Oct 23, 2014
manutdadex:

How did it help you?
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by iconize(m): 6:57pm On Oct 23, 2014
Sagamite:

Homofuuktard, your community seems to be standing up for you. grin grin grin grin

You are part of the homosexual brotherhood. grin grin grin

Fagggotmoron, stop running.

Another of fagggot biatch of yours quoted you asking if you survived the last homo party you had. grin grin grin grin grin

Have you changed your diapers? I'm sure its filled up already. grin grin grin grin
Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 23, 2014
manutdadex:

Just my thought.

As a child i would listen to my parent,and my father mostly,largely due to fear,d most my mom does is ground me,which didnt rili help wen it was jst me and my mom at home(takin some few gadgets or toys from me for a while wont kill me,lol).but putin my dad in d mix or just a threat by her of tellin my dad,was enough to turn my obedient switch on(he knew how to cane d sturborn spirit off).and i believe dat method of discipline worked for me,wonder how i would be if d worst they could do was ground me.
we shouldnt feel because some western countries dnt apply some method of discipline makes it wrong,and if u tink their method is really good,have a rethink.

Re: BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 23, 2014
On the way!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Reasons Why Your Husband Will Be Snatched By A Mistress- Dokun Olumofin / 12 Types Of Guests We All Get Tired Of In Our Homes / Spousal Abuse Against Men Rising In Lagos – UI Criminologist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.