Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

Arochukwu Disobedience. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Arochukwu Disobedience. (11023 Views)

Nsibidi And The Ibibio Civilization Of Arochukwu / Inyom Aro As Peace Ambassadors In Arochukwu History / Arochukwu (in Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:51am On Oct 23, 2014
I will like to find out why Arochukwu stopped bringing gifts and paying homages to EZE NRI,like they use to. All the proud Aro sons should come here and explain this to me.
Not just Aro but all the other major towns in Igboland. To me this is a complete disobedience to a sacred institution.

2 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Lilimax(f): 11:37am On Oct 23, 2014
**Following this thread keenly** smiley
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:49am On Oct 23, 2014
Lilimax:
**Following this thread keenly** smiley

Thats good but you better be ready for third world war...lol
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Lilimax(f): 11:51am On Oct 23, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Thats good but you better be ready for third world war...lol
smiley
Currently sharpening my anti-ballistic missile tongue
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 23, 2014
I hope that when an Aro man finally turns up, he will ask you why the Nri people stopped sending the annual tributes to the head of the Adama community. That is a far more reasonable question that the one you're asking.

7 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2014
RadoilloII:
I hope that when an Aro man finally turns up, he will ask you why the Nri people stopped sending the annual tributes to the head of the Adama community. That is a far more reasonable question that the one you're asking.

Aro defender,why dont you let Adama worry about that. And do you think its easy for someone to migrate into your land and rule over you ?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 23, 2014
grin grin grin

I thought you opened a thread to talk about who was paying tribute to who? What, now? Does the fact that the Nri people were paying tribute to the Adama up to the early 1900s make you uncomfortable? grin grin

You know very well Aros never paid tribute to Nri. You opened this thread in jest grin. As a matter of fact, Eze Nri Enwelana in the 19th century sent delegates to try and persuade the Aro chief Okoli Ijoma to stop sending his Abam raiders into the Nri-Awka area. The attempts at diplomacy failed. It was Awka that finally organized the Amakom league with its neighbouring towns that stood up militarily to the Aro-hired raiders.

Go ahead now and call me hater and revisionist. Wherever I can i'll continue to throw facts into your face.

6 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:02pm On Oct 23, 2014
RadoilloII:
grin grin grin

I thought you opened a thread to talk about who was paying tribute to who? What, now? Does the fact that the Nri people were paying tribute to the Adama up to the early 1900s make you uncomfortable? grin grin

You know very well Aros never paid tribute to Nri. You opened this thread in jest grin. As a matter of fact, Eze Nri Enwelana in the 19th century sent delegates to try and persuade the Aro chief Okoli Ijoma to stop sending his Abam raiders into the Nri-Awka area. The attempts at diplomacy failed. It was Awka that finally organized the Amakom league with its neighbouring towns that stood up militarily to the Aro-hired raiders.

Go ahead now and call me hater and revisionist. Wherever I can i'll continue to throw facts into your face.

Do you need proof ?
By the way Nri never ,Nri never operated military body.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 23, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

By the way Nri never ,Nri never operated military body.

Exactly my point. Which is why when the Awka-Nri axis was threatened by the Aro and their raiders, the Nri could only send embassies to plead and cajole....until Awka stepped in.

You want to bring proof that the Aro sent tribute to Nri? Sure. Go ahead. Present your proof.

2 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2014
RadoilloII:

Exactly my point. Which is why when the Awka-Nri axis was threatened by the Aro and their raiders, the Nri could only send embassies to plead and cajole....until Awka stepped in.

You want to bring proof that the Aro sent tribute to Nri? Sure. Go ahead. Present your proof.

Dont worry,you will get your proof.....My phone is failing me. By the way,raiders are criminals....At least,we can agree with that.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:17pm On Oct 23, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
Not just Aro but all the other major towns in Igboland. To me this is a complete disobedience to a sacred institution.

Who are these "all the other major towns in Igboland" that you're referring to?

2 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2014
ChinenyeN:

Who are these "all the other major towns in Igboland" that you're referring to?

We will find out. Won't we ?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 23, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Dont worry,you will get your proof.....My phone is failing me. By the way,raiders are criminals....At least,we can agree with that.

Criminal or not, that's entirely subjective. Were there laws in 19th-century Igbo society against enslaving people?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Ihuomadinihu: 5:14pm On Oct 23, 2014
There is really nothing to prove. Why do i see only one Nri man jumping all over nairaland? Na wa!
Aro did not pay tributes to Nri. Are you on a mission to claim Aro too? This is getting crazy!
Am only blaming the Umudianas and other subgroups for not stopping this nonesense on time.

2 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 23, 2014
Hang in there. He's still going to bring proof...as soon as his phone stops 'failing' him.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:58pm On Oct 23, 2014
Don't worry you will have it.
There is no law against enslaving people but there is against kidnapping people. If not ,why do they have to raid peoples farm , kidnap and go sell. Rodoillo,dont tell me you are that foolish.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 23, 2014
This is unnecessary and pointless digression. Pre-colonial Aro and its colonies were sovereign political entities. Raiding other communities was permitted by the laws that governed their societies. (Other non-Aro communities, by the way, did minor raids and didn't think it was wrong as long as the people being raided are non-kin). That by definition means it is not criminal from their point of view. It is only unacceptable from the point of view of the community being raided. That's why I used the word 'subjective.'

Are we going to discuss the fine print of pre-colonial Igbo legal systems or are we going to talk about Aro's tributary status with respect to Nri, which is the purpose for which you started this thread?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:08am On Oct 24, 2014
So,Aro people are lawless bunch with no human conscience?
Anyway,I opened the thread and you will wait as long as I want you to wait or you get out. After all,nobody invited you here. Like I said,wait or bounce off.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 9:23am On Oct 24, 2014
*smh*

Flipping troll.
You're now graduating into 'get out' and 'bounce off' because you have nothing constructive to say. Okwa inugo nwanyi, Odenigbo? Keduzi ka I ga-esi na akpa agba ka umu aka. Opening pointless threads like bored and idle college boys.

And do you think its easy for someone to migrate into your land and rule over you ?

I purposely ignored this part of your remark. But one day soon i'll get into the details of the relationship between the Nri and Adama. And i'll back up my statements with hard facts that anybody can check out for themselves. Then we'll know who was lording it over the other - the immigrants or the owners of the land.

1 Like

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Malawian(m): 9:31am On Oct 24, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
I will like to find out why Arochukwu stopped bringing gifts and paying homages to EZE NRI,like they use to. All the proud Aro sons should come here and explain this to me.
grin grin grin grin grin
odenjinji, i bia kwa ozo.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 24, 2014
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by odumchi: 12:39am On Oct 25, 2014
In the words of your people: Ino nkiti ajoka. Odenaalinri Odenigbo, gaa kpaa uka ichosa isi uwa gi. Hapu aka ali a inyi na-akpa nwa.

1 Like

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:06am On Oct 25, 2014
odumchi:
In the words of your people: Ino nkiti ajoka. Odenaalinri Odenigbo, gaa kpaa uka ichosa isi uwa gi. Hapu aka ali a inyi na-akpa nwa.

Odogwu Aro,kelu ki mee?...Nnaa,onwee ajo ife m' mee gi ?
I thought you were a gentle,like Alangwa used to be until the Awka revisionist corrupted his mind. Where is the old Odumchi? This is very painful!
By the way,can you address the board about the disobedience of Aro ?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by bigfrancis21: 11:08am On Oct 26, 2014
Odenjinji...I bia kwa ozo! grin
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by bigfrancis21: 11:15am On Oct 26, 2014
RadoilloII:
grin grin grin

@Bold...Okoli/Okolie/Okoye is a surname more commonly found in the northern axis of Igboland and it's other version, Okorie, commonly found in the southern axis (Abia/Imo etc). Is there any explanation you might have for this observation?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Ihuomadinihu: 11:27am On Oct 26, 2014
Okoli is a popular Abia and Arondizuogu surname. Arochukwu people are not fools, they have their history and place of origin intact.

2 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 26, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@Bold...Okoli/Okolie/Okoye is a surname more commonly found in the northern axis of Igboland and it's other version, Okorie, commonly found in the southern axis (Abia/Imo etc). Is there any explanation you might have for this observation?

Okoli Ijoma was the leader of Ndikelionwu, an Aro colony in present-day Anambra State. The Aros of Anambra (Ndiowu, Ndiokpalaeze, Ajalli, Ndikelionwu, etc) speak like their neighbours in Anambra, and their names also reflect the so-called Anambra speech. Although typical Aro names like Oti are also common among them.

I might add that there were no direct contacts between Nri and the 'mother town' of Arochukwu, i.e, the Nri did not journey as far as Arochukwu (at least, there are no accounts that they did). The only contacts were with the colonies in the Northern Igbo area.

3 Likes

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Ihuomadinihu: 11:48am On Oct 26, 2014
Radoillo:

Okoli Ijoma was the leader of Ndikelionwu, an Aro colony in present-day Anambra State. The Aros of Anambra (Ndiowu, Ndiokpalaeze, Ajalli, Ndikelionwu, etc) speak like their neighbours in Anambra, and their names also reflect the so-called Anambra speech. Although typical Aro names like Oti are also common among them.

I might add that there were no direct contact between Nri and the 'mother town' of Arochukwu, i.e, the Nri did not journey as far as Arochukwu (at least, there are no accounts that they did). The only contacts were with the colonies in the Northern Igbo area.
Spot on! There is an Aro settlement in my villa and they adopted our dialect and culture. They are regarded as sons and daughters of my area but that does not stop them from acknowledging their Aro heritage too.

1 Like

Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by bigfrancis21: 3:30pm On Oct 26, 2014
Radoillo:

I might add that there were no direct contacts between Nri and the 'mother town' of Arochukwu, i.e, the Nri did not journey as far as Arochukwu (at least, there are no accounts that they did). The only contacts were with the colonies in the Northern Igbo area.

So in essence you're saying Okoli Ijeoma had already been naturalized in Anambra (as his name tells) but might have still maintained contacts with his Aro brothers down south to be able to mediate between Nri and Aro raiders?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 26, 2014
RadoilloII:
grin grin grin

Those slave raiders(aro/abam/edda/ohafia) nearly made their Nri habitat devoid of habitants.
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 26, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
So,Aro people are lawless bunch with no human conscience?
Anyway,I opened the thread and you will wait as long as I want you to wait or you get out. After all,nobody invited you here. Like I said,wait or bounce off.
Why sounding emotional?
Re: Arochukwu Disobedience. by bigfrancis21: 3:51pm On Oct 26, 2014
Radoillo:

It might be interesting to add that Oti is not common only to Arochukwu. During my stay in Nsukka, I met Nsukka natives who bore 'Oti' as surname of which one of them was my lecturer in 3rd year. See his profile below:

http://www.unn.edu.ng/profile/engr-se-oti

Interestingly, Nsukka people believe they are from Nshi(Nri), with inputs here and there from Igala and Idoma.

My maternal cousins from Enugu have their surname as 'Okoli', and it is quite a popular one in Enugu.

The creation of Abia state has been interesting in that it initially contained Afikpo (one of the 4 areas that make up the acronym - Abia ie Aba, Bende, Isiukwuato and Afikpo) a NI area and surrounding villages and much later during the creation of Ebonyi state in 1996, Afikpo was shifted to this newly created state. Abia state today isn't homogeneous linguistically as several unrelated dialects exist in that state(from NI and SI alike). It is not surprising if some people bear Okoli are from that state (my guess would be they are from those areas up north close to Ebonyi state which were not moved to Ebonyi state). Another reason Aba, originally Ngwaland, is the melting pot of many people and dialects today. My question specifically is, is Okoli a name borne by Arochukwu people today?

Don't get me wrong or think I'm having underlying assumptions. I'm just curious because the moment I saw the name, it was striking to me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sango Vs Amadioha, Which Is Most Preferred And Why? Africans Oya Try / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" / Traditional Edo Wedding Or Introduction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.