Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,848 members, 7,798,834 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? (47660 Views)

Who Is More Powerful...a Minister And A Senator??? / Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Suggest A Portfolio For Babatunde Fashola As A Minister... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by 0merta(m): 11:31am On Oct 24, 2014
Tabtab:
.........nice!!! But we do have minister of defence and
minister of state for defence as well at the federal level........but not @ the state level!!! There s notin like commissioner of defence!!! So I think it could reperesent the real minister and
its deputy as people ave said.

Sure, there are no commissioners of defence at the state level but there are "defence issues" at the state level.

Remember the events leading to the Ekiti governorship elections few months back when the President thought it wise to establish federal presence in Ekiti state for security reasons, he didn't send his Defence minister but his minister of state for defence in the person of Obanikoro.

We all know he sent Obanikoro there to give PDP some undue advantage, by the way.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 24, 2014
I want to comment but first of all
NEW MTN CHEAT WITH OPENVPN. View here http:///ljq8vzv
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 24, 2014
fairheven:

How does the work of a president relate to a minister an ministries ...comparing "elective position with selective position"? You need to get a grip with politics first..Jonathan can chose to appoint or not to appoint any of those junior ministers.na wa for una reasoning,I saw you talkin about memo been wrongly address to minister or minister for state,seriously?..aren't their more important tins than memos?wat?if we have one minister ,who then will addres memos to the wrong person?
I only used your mentality to relate with you so as for you to see the shortsightedness in your comparison.......... You are the one with myopic understanding here ..... Minister and Minister of state doesn't do the same function ... Each has her area of jurisdiction and issues they deal with ....

There is no need to grip politics here ..........you have poor knowledge of distinction between Politics and Governance ......... This is an issue of ''GOVERNANCE'' not Politics !!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by 0merta(m): 11:39am On Oct 24, 2014
jcflex:

from your write up nw, tell me where is the need for minister of. when we have the PS and Dirs to work round clock to assist the minister as the case maybe, and finally report to him.

let call a spade a spade
we dnt nid any minister of state, it simply what we nigerians can rise up to, they should stop lavishly our resource the way they like at out own detriment.
as simple as that

grin grin

I resemble GEJ?

May be you should consider voting PDP out come February 14th, 2015.

No be say I support Buhari 100% ooo, but I think Nigeria needs a change of leadership at the federal level. PDP has been there for like 15 years now and Power supply is still epileptic, roads are still bad, educational standards have fallen, Poverty rate has worsened...I can go on and on!

Let's give APC a chance and when they fucck up in the first term, we vote them out again in 2019 and give Labour Party a chance. grin grin

Abi, my guy?
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by DelTel(m): 11:40am On Oct 24, 2014
0merta:

Sure, there are no commissioners of defence at the state level but there are "defence issues" at the state level.

Remember the events leading to the Ekiti governorship elections few months back when the President thought it wise to establish federal presence in Ekiti state for security reasosns, he didn't send his Defence minister but his minister of state for defence in the person of Obanikoro.

We all know he sent Obanikoro there to give PDP some undue advantage, by the way.

I beg to differ. Obanikoro was a willing tool not because of his portfolio line of duty.
You can't imagine a person of Gusua character dabbling in illegality.
A case in point is former minister Ama Pepple who was removed because she refused to play politics of thuggery like Wike to fight Ameachi though she was not nominated by Ameachi unlike Wike who was "punished" with a ministerial nomination to reduce his influence. Bolaji Abdullahi, Obada and Mrs Rufai were removed for the same reason of not fighting their respective opposition governor and/or massaging madam PEJ's ego.
Point is that only a thug can be sent a thuggery job.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 24, 2014
mmb:
dont think pls, be sure before posting something here.
Oga wetin be your own wey you dey vex 4 ma post .... Atleast MOS will sha report to presidency abi ?
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by jcflex(m): 11:47am On Oct 24, 2014
0merta:

grin grin

I resemble GEJ?

May be you should consider voting PDP out come February 14th, 2015.

No be say I support Buhari 100% ooo, but I think Nigeria needs a change of leadership at the federal level. PDP has been there for like 15 years now and Power supply is still epileptic, roads are still bad, educational standards have fallen, Poverty rate has worsened...I can go on and on!

Let's give APC a chance and when they fucck up in the first term, we vote them out again in 2019 and give Labour Party a chance. grin grin

Abi, my guy?

enough of all this problem jawe, we all knw it, let us stop complaining and do the needful, which is coming up with possible solution,
nt no light, no road today, yet tomoro n nx tomoro we we still come out with the same complain, no light no road. jst sick and tire of hearing those word, if it warrant us to vote out the ruling party, let go for that, bt what in the case the office holder defect to anoda party, then what happen. that take us to voting individual, and not party, and hear i can say 100% that, that was what favour our no1 citizen today.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by fairheven: 11:54am On Oct 24, 2014
emmykk:
bro white collar job work do not mean you must sweat yourself out like common labourer before we know that the country is not spend too much on them,there should be division of labour.if a governor/deputy suituation exist,VC/DVC,president/vice presido exist.a minister should be assisted.
Believe me there is enough work for both of them.
On aide,there is a limit aide can go.

Ther problem of this country is not money spend on these guys but other major things govt failed to fix.

The problem is not wat we spend on ,u know the real problem is wat you just said,let's assume they don't have problems squandering our commonwealth;but to see that you are turning a blind eye to it,is greater crime against humanity...for a country that spends greater part iof its budget on reccurent expenditure...which is mostly salaries and jumbo pay...the national assembly budget is more than the budget of about 21 states of the federation,you don't see anything untoward about it..yawa don gass be that..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by fairheven: 12:00pm On Oct 24, 2014
donroxy:
I only used your mentality to relate with you so as for you to see the shortsightedness in your comparison.......... You are the one with myopic understanding here ..... Minister and Minister of state doesn't do the same function ... Each has her area of jurisdiction and issues they deal with ....

There is no need to grip politics here ..........you have poor knowledge of distinction between Politics and Governance ......... This is an issue of ''GOVERNANCE'' not Politics !!
You haven't answer any of my question yet..just one Q ,can those ministries function without a junior minister? If yes ,then you have nothing to argue aboout .since you know how ministries work,who created ministry of trade an investment ,who created ministry of cooperation and integration in Africa,were they in existence before ?you are too Ignorant to know that they can be created an discarded wit a Snapp of the finger?kpele!
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Demdem(m): 12:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
austinbrown:
ass hole

Ur mama right?
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by OGHENE316(m): 12:06pm On Oct 24, 2014
very soon we wl v comisiona 4 state n local gvt,even delta state v 2 comm 4 educatn xo mayb cuz of d complexity in meeti d nid of d ppl
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by aadoiza: 12:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
No difference, it's just redundancy aimed at profligacy.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Khalifa04: 12:18pm On Oct 24, 2014
Pennywise:

Sometimes we try too hard to find solutions to problems that do not exist or we go rigmaroling/sommersaulting looking for answers that stare at us in the face.

Minister of state is a creation of the Obj Goverment to deputize for a substantive minister. The real essence is for political jobs to go round. It was an expedient decision of Obj to spread the goodies among supporters and loyalists not minding that state resources can ill-afford it. If GEJ had any leadership spirit in him, he would have since abolished that position. I suppose we all have to wait for Buhari.
stupid niga (buhari ko atiku ni)
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Lucky77: 12:28pm On Oct 24, 2014
PassingShot:
It was OBJ's strategy to share positions and money to his PDP cronies when he became president in 1999.

He was reported to have said that " No need to fight, there is enough for all to share". The result was all the useless positions including those of PAs, and Special PAs.

It was actually in existence during Shagari era. (second republic) the relevance which I don't know.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Obodo999(m): 12:35pm On Oct 24, 2014
Thank you. But why Minister of state for Defence i.e. Musiliu Obanikoro when the States don't have commissioner/ Ministry for Defence?

0merta:
The creation of the posts of a "minister" and a "minister of state" is to afford representations of all the 36 states of the federation and the FCT in the federal cabinet. This wouldn't be possible if the minister of state position is non-existent as the number of ministries is not up to 36.

But I think the representative capacity should have been based on Geo-political zones and not on the number of states to eliminate duplicity of functions.

And for those saying the Minister of state is like a deputy Governor, I think you're all wrong. The Minister of state is independent of the "real" Minister with respect to portfolio assignments. The Minister of state functions as an intermediary between the federal government and the respective state ministries. For example, if the commissioner of education in Osun state wants to liaise with the Federal ministry of education in Abuja, he does that via the minister of state for education.

Conclusively, I think the position of the "Minister of state" was intrinsically created to make the "chopping of money" go round!

Awon Ole jati jati!

Gbogbo waa ni ole sha.

grin grin

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Chidoxyl(m): 12:37pm On Oct 24, 2014
Good topic to ponder on.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by morbid: 12:45pm On Oct 24, 2014
Demdem:

Jonathan came in and adopted the same rot. The fool even went further to appoint ambassador at large. Yeye dey smell.

It is very easy for you to open your mouth and call someone old enough to be your father a fool. Let me make this known to you:if you,your father,your brother(s) or any other male in your generation does not equal Jonathan's achievement,then you are the real fool. Finally,go and find out how old President Jonathan is today;if you continue with this your unbridled tongue,you may not live to be as old as Jonathan. #TameYourTongue#

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by jahbiz: 12:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
Yungwizzzy:

I have two answers

1. The minister is the oga and the minister of state is the vice/deputy

2. The latter is not necessary since the former is not even functional

so the difference is that they all wasting tax payers money!!
kolaaderin:
Just creation of job for looters.
U are bad men!!!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by IJIGGAH(m): 12:55pm On Oct 24, 2014
The minister is the head of the ministry.while the minister of state is the deputy/vise.But the creation of minister for state all bodge down to creation of Employment.This same as councilor and supervising councilor. In my opinion,is good becouse there's increase in unemployment in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by IJIGGAH(m): 12:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
The minister is the head of the ministry.while the minister of state is the deputy/vise.But the creation of minister for state all bodge down to creation of Employment.This same as councilor and supervising councilor. In my opinion,it is a welcome ideal all long because there's increase of unemployment in Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
fairheven:
This is one of the many reasons we spend more than 70% of our national budget on recurrent expenditure,we have over-bloated civil service,oversize cabinet,over pampered national assembly and over-dependent state an local government...the only solution is to shut the oil flow from Niger delter,so that everybody wul look inward.

Seconded!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Stakekay1(m): 1:06pm On Oct 24, 2014
One posses power to steal more and the other, power to steal less.Their common denominator is their power to STEAL.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Rapture4real(m): 1:09pm On Oct 24, 2014
A Minister controls the ministry as it relates to the entire federation while the minister of state works directly with the Presidency. The Minister is higher in portfolio than a minister of state.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 24, 2014
Demdem:

Jonathan came in and adopted the same rot. The fool even went further to appoint ambassador at large. Yeye dey smell.

I don't blame u for insulting your leaders my prayer for u is u will not smell leadership all the days of Ur life amen gej til 2025

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Demdem(m): 1:46pm On Oct 24, 2014
Frankmishael:
I don't blame u for insulting your leaders my prayer for u is u will not smell leadership all the days of Ur life amen gej til 2025

Fool, shove ur prayers into ur anus. Am already a first class leader as at today.
So called leaders like Jonathan deserves nothing but stones.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by biz2get(m): 1:46pm On Oct 24, 2014
Simple

Minister -> Awon Boss (Omo Ole)

Miniter of state -> Awon busy bodi (Omo Jati jati)

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Demdem(m): 1:50pm On Oct 24, 2014
morbid:
It is very easy for you to open your mouth and call someone old enough to be your father a fool. Let me make this known to you:if you,your father,your brother(s) or any other male in your generation does not equal Jonathan's achievement,then you are the real fool. Finally,go and find out how old President Jonathan is today;if you continue with this your unbridled tongue,you may not live to be as old as Jonathan. #TameYourTongue#

Fool, why don't u attend to the issue at stake by minding ur business instead of bringing ur useless father and cursed souls ur lineage is blessed with into a discussion that isn't their business. What's my business with u guys predicament?
Demdem is made up to its third generation however can the same be said of ur cursed souls?
Demdem will surely outlive u because in ur case it's Jonathan till ur early grave.
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by firstolalekan(m): 1:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
segend:

The issue is that we must have 36 ministers, if 10 new states are created today, then we must have 46 ministers, whether there is a ministry for them or not. I think the real issue should be why should each state have a minister, each state is already well and equally represented in the senate and house of representative. The job of a minister is not to represent his state, will make more sense if ministerial appointment is by zone, maybe 3 per zone.
Ignorance at its peak.
Why must we have 36 ministers because we have 36 States?
Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by firstolalekan(m): 2:01pm On Oct 24, 2014
austinbrown:
can u call ur father a fool?
You're also a f00l. Is Jonadåft his father?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Diff Btw A Minister And A Minister Of State In The Same Ministry? by Consultville(m): 2:06pm On Oct 24, 2014
Room for all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Benue Lawmakers Climb Fence To Stop Impeachment Plot Against Ortom (VIDEO) / Why Atiku Did Not Campaign In Ogun’ / PROFORCE Nigerian Defence Company That Produces Equipment To Fight Boko Haram(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.