Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

A Nation Of Beggers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nation Of Beggers (663 Views)

PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nation Of Beggers by feedthenation(m): 12:17pm On Oct 23, 2014
“Oga, wetin you chop remain now, big bros your boys dey here o’’

It was a hot October in Lagos. Even with a weather that was threatening a downpour on a cloudy afternoon, the heat still made life uncomfortable. On a day that I had already become edgy not just for the scorching heat, the long line of traffic stretching several kilometres also added to my misery. I had left home that morning skipping breakfast.

In a city where a minute lateness can sentence one to a lifetime in traffic, I had rushed out hoping to have lunch in an eatery. After much struggle to find a parking space among the maze of vehicles, that was when I noticed him. He was a dishevelled looking middle aged man dressed in a faded blue private security uniform with a pair of boots. With the way he loitered around the park, it appeared his job was to help customers navigate their way as they park their vehicles. But on that afternoon, it seemed doing his job was the last thing on his mind.

As I made to exit the car, I looked up to see a terse sign that announced ‘’Cars parked at owners risk’’. The security guard approached me. Fawning and too obsequious, he assured me the car would be safe. I ignored him wondering why I needed to be assured of the safety of my car. Was his job not to protect customers’ vehicles? But it was ironical that the management of the eatery would deploy security and yet warn customers that they would not be responsible for stolen vehicles. He came after me, ignoring my petulance. “Please, Sir, just find me anything. Your car will be safe by the time you come back”. As I made to enter the building, I saw him follow a couple who had just exited the building. Now, fawning and even more obsequious, he held the car door open for them like a practised chauffeur. The couple threw a crumpled note at him as they drove away. He grabbed it, quickly tucked it into his pocket and continued his hustle.

Welcome to the world of Nigeria’s corporate beggars. Indeed, we have become a nation of beggars. From the lowly man on the street to the greedy politicians jostling for a piece of national cake, and to the well-heeled, everybody seems to have mastered the act of begging. How many times have you been harassed to part with your hard-earned money by those who feel a sense of entitlement? How many times have you cursed under your breath when able-bodied individuals casually walk up to you as if they had something important to say only to beg? Isn’t it annoying to be harassed for money as if you are being asked to pay a debt? Why have we become so shameless as to brazenly ask for underserved favours? Is it a sign of the times or a manifestation of the culture of entitlement that has come to define this generation?

Really, being stalked for money appears to have become a regular feature of Lagos and other parts of the country. At our airports, immigration officials hold on to your travelling documents while they subtly demand their palm to be greased. One incident was instructive. While travelling recently, a man presented his passport for checks. The immigration official took a long curious look at the visa and pronounced it was a fake. Just like that, without running it through a scanner. After a long delay, he demanded money. “Oga, find me something now, I take dollars or pound”. How low have we sunk as a people when people cite the most ridiculous of reasons to fleece money off others. One day when I went out in Lagos, I was harassed by countless number of people asking for or demanding money. Sometimes, the level of desperation is shocking. Some people even feign being terminally ill to make easy money.

At the eatery, when the guy who opened the door for me smiled so widely that it almost became a smirk, I knew something was not right. I was soon proved right. As I sat to enjoy my meal, he left his place by the door and sauntered to my side. Barely inaudible, he demanded to be tipped. But why harass people for tips? Are tips not meant to be voluntary? In Lagos, instead, the idea is to force a tip out of you? You could even be threatened by street urchins or “area boys” who want to get paid by force. As I made my way to the restroom after my meal, I was confronted by another uniformed young man who offered the toilet paper smiling. I ignored him. I asked myself why he must be the one to issue toilet paper when I could simply take it myself.

Now, a culture of begging appears to have been ingrained in our national character. In traffic, scores of beggars – both physically challenged and able-bodied – converge on cars. A man in Ojuelegba who claimed to have had kidney problems is still begging for help. He is still on the same spot many years after. While I admit that the socio-economic system has pushed people to the margins of poverty, it is unfortunate that some people are just too lazy to do any meaningful work to earn a decent living. What kind of culture encourages people to live on alms?

I am not unaware that the religions teach us about free-giving. But isn’t it plainly absurd to give one’s hard-earned money to street urchins who spend the money on hard drugs? At parties, a bizarre culture of begging has since evolved. In the past, people used to attend parties and even buy gifts for the host. Not anymore; now, people attend parties to eat, drink and take away. On the streets, individuals use infants to extort money from people. The sight of babies exposed to the elements often induces sympathy.

In Nigeria, the saying that “nothing goes for nothing” has become the parameter for social interaction. How often have you been in a distress and you expect people to help you only to be told that nothing goes for nothing or money for hand back for ground? Nigerians used to be very courteous, kind and helpful. But that was in the years gone past. In the past, people valued a simple ‘thank you’ gesture.
For example, they would offer to help push your broken down vehicle off the road or change a flat tyre and walk away. Not anymore. Once, my car stopped in the middle of the road and those who pushed it to a lay-by held me hostage. They wanted money. The culture of begging transcends social divide. Why have we become a nation of beggars? Is it the poverty or have we lost the capacity to be our brothers’ keepers? Is it the poverty that has numbed our senses to attach monetary value to simple acts of kindness?
As I got into my car to leave the eatery, the guard rushed to tell me how he had watched over my car. Amused, I pointed out the sign that read, “Cars are parked at owners’ risk”. He sauntered off to the next customer.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/a-nation-of-beggars-2/
Re: A Nation Of Beggers by gunuvi(m): 1:02pm On Oct 23, 2014
you are very woked. my great grand mother for you. she still remain a virgin. may you walk and stumble never. mayanstikal
Re: A Nation Of Beggers by egift(m): 1:17pm On Oct 23, 2014
Buhari supports devolution of power and given States and Geographic Regions more resources for grassroot development. In 2011, Buhari proposed the establishment of Regional Trust Funds for each of the Geo-Political Regions in Nigeria.

Vote for Buhari so that the money trapped in corruption and looted will be stopped and allowed to be injected into the System. Nigeria will have more funds to be utilized for Development and Empowering Nigerians.

The choice is yours. Sentiments will do you no good.
Re: A Nation Of Beggers by Lordlexyy: 1:24pm On Oct 23, 2014
Who do you blame exactly? I am trying hard not to lay the blame on successive gov't, but as much as i tried, i realised that the many years of negligence and greed among those entrusted with the welfare of the masses have been responsible for the many woes of this great country. Imagine a graduate pulling all sort of tricks just for a stipend. It has gotten so bad that able body men will post in a national youth service vest pretending their vehicles broke down just to attract sympathy and cash. While it is not all gov't affair to cater for the over all needs of the people, needlessly to say that the onus rest on them to provide the needed environment that will encourage self realisation, actualisation which will in turn eliminate any form of execuses that will warrant 'legalise' begging and promote economic competition. Folks in develop countries takes pride in themselves and so abhoured any form of begging because of a functional gov't that made them realise their values and importance. But a nation that treat its people with disrespect and disdained can't expect its people to understand the meaning of self honour. It is the same reason why young girls go into prostitution and yound men take to robbery, kidnapping and many neferious activities. I bet you, must of these able body 'beggers' are probably not comfortably with what they found themselves doing but the need to survive had necessitated this social ills. Call it survival of the fittest and you will be correct. But that is not to excuse why a complete young man should take to begging when he could atleast take advantage of his completeness and do something meaningful. Those who are suppose to offer that orientation are busy fighting over politics and how to enriched themselves. Some beg for genuine reason while others out of being lazy. Whatever it is, your discretion should guide you in your decision. But for street urchins is a no no.

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi Shy Away From Corruption Challenge From Wike / Did Sahara Reporters Just Take A Shot At Buhari?? / Breaking News: Gombe Bomb Blast Kills 8 And Not 30 -BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.