Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,902 members, 7,799,027 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! (3915 Views)

NPC Collaboration Poetry Competition Season 2: The Renga Fiesta / Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (season One) / A Critique Of Poems Featured In Nairaland's "The Poets" Competition Season 2 (2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by OMA4U(m): 9:01pm On Oct 23, 2014
ELIGIBILITY
1. Be a member of Nairaland
2. A participant must submit a poem of five lines (any theme), and above the poem should indicate a number (1, 2, 3 etc). This is the entry fee.
DEADLINE: Sunday 26-10-2014 Time: 6:00 pm

GUIDELINES
1. This is a collaborative poetry whereby two poets shall be paired together to write and submit a single poem of any theme.

2. The poem may be submitted by either of the poets, provided that every verse/stanza written shall have the name of the poet who writes that verse at the top of it.

3. At the end of the first round, seven (7) best poems shall be chosen for the second round and from which the best three (3) poems shall emerge the winners.

4. Our impeccable judges shall follow the outlines below to grade each poem:

i. Organization: Structure/Form of the poems; coherence/comprehension ( that is the ideas of the poem being presented as a whole; the meaning of the poem and how the meanings are being conveyed)
(20 marks)

ii. Poetic Devices/Dictions: The number and effectiveness of those devices that raise poetry beyond prose. Also, the poets' choice of words used to paint imagery and evoke emotions.
(20 marks)

iii. Content/Significance: Do the poems deal with human experience? To what extent has the poem changed or add to our understanding? The universal-tility of the poem: should the poem be translated to other languages, does it still apply to human's conditions?
(20 marks)

iv. Grammatical Accuracy: Well punctuated poems are more appreciated and can add to the cadence of a poem. Every word must be well spelt, except for the intentional use of MALAPROPISM.
(10 marks)

v. Theme/Analysis: Brief analysis of the poem will give better understanding of the poem and the analysis of how the poetic devices used help the poets to achieve their aims. This should come after the poem, NOT BEFORE.
(10 marks)

vi. Mood/Imagery: Can the readers feel the feelings? Does the poem evoke emotions? Does the poem lift spirits and/or suppress the readers to a different mood? (20 marks)

5. The competition begins:
First round: Saturday 08- 11 - 2014; Time: 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm. Then, submission of scores will follow by the judges.
Second round: Sunday 09- 11 - 2014; Time: Same time as the first round.

PRIZE
The best poems will automatically make it to our forthcoming Nairaland Anthology of Poems (Volume 1), while others are being screened. The anthology will be published in print as well as electronic and every qualified poet shall be reckoned with.

LET'S PROMOTE POETRY
We write to entertain, to rejoice and cry, to gasp and wonder, to share victories and defeats, pain and joy, to share love, life and death. We write to debate and discuss, to provoke and to questions the existence of things, to rebuke and probe. We write to address and proffer solutions to uprising in Nigeria, Africa, and the world at large.

Poets and poems that have inspired and lifted my spirit: Edgar Poe's Annabel Lee; William Shakespeare's sonnets, especially Sonnet 18 (Shall I compare thee to the summer's day? This poem lives in me) . Samuel Coleridge's Rime of an Ancient Mariner; John Fletcher's Upon a Honest Man's Fortune; Maya Angelou's I know why the caged bird sing and Still I Rise; Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken; John Donne's Death be not proud; Wole Soyinka's Telephone Conversation and Abiku; Jared Angira; Gabriel Okara; Lenrie Peters; Sola Owoniyi's Homeless not Hopeless; Niyi Osundare, J. P. Clark etc

All these poets have done great things with words and have also inspired the world. So we, the poets of this generation can also inspire the generations to come.

Great Nairaland Poets! Advocates of what pen can do
Thanks
OMA
Siggy:
My Silent loquacious pen speaks louder than my quiet lips; A drop of ink makes a mighty word

Any question? May I be of help in any way?

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 23, 2014
Can I send my entry poem in now?
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by GIYAZZ(m): 10:27pm On Oct 23, 2014
*Palms itching*

So in. . .
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by sosiqdude(m): 7:43pm On Nov 03, 2014
In
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by OMA4U(m): 1:01pm On Nov 08, 2014
Finally! Finally! The day has come.

Our registered Poets for Nairaland Collaborative Poetry Competition (Season One):

REGISTERED POETS:

Contestant 1. KRYSTALXXX
& ROYVER

Contestant 2. LAYKORN
& LORDTHUNDERBOLT

Contestant 3. JIGSAWKILLAH
& PHILTRUM

Contestant 4. GIYAZZ
& TEXANOMALY

Contestant 5. IYABODEH
& KAGARI

Contestant 6. GOTTOBOY
& SOSIQDUDE

Contestant 7. AD30LA
& IGItee

Contestant 8. midasbliss
& PureIvory

Contestant 9. HARDDON & chizzy94

Contestant 10. AmiableJay & Gladyys

Thanks to all Contestants. I look forward to seeing poetry in radiating armours fighting with its devices with flow, cadence, rhymes, imagery.

We hereby declare the thread open for submission.

Goodluck to our participants as you begin to dish out glamorous poems.

Thanks
OMA

Tag: Philtrum, niftyrules, okwutency, princesa, timpaker JigsawKillah, gottoboy, harddon, poeticjazco, dtito, isaiahogodo, paulaok4, basille, krystalxxx, richommie, Chuksemi, Texanomaly, divepen, michaelok, giyazz, nickz, firestar, Bamibor, osiawa, kagari, elvisosho, maxwellbaba, tjkdzyanju, AmiableJay, lordidol, mrwhat

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 08, 2014
Contestants no.2-laykorn,lordthunderbolt
KOB NO MI
(lordthunderbolt)
Ever since I tasted her pounded yam
I've been reduced to a lamb
No voice and no hands.
I am doing as instructed like her 'ram'
I never used to believe in voodoo.
Now i've tasted the scent of juju.
It's aroma is built with fufu.
I've been degraded to a real mumu.
She says 'her' glittering voice is my ''malady''
I shouldn't listen to nobody!
Let no one sing me a melody!
For she loves me so madly.
I'm following her blinding whims
Who will rescue my limb?
From brittle limp?
Onlookers smile away the wimp

(laykorn)
No requiem for deaf cockcroaches!
Igele fears no approach!
Everywhere he threads reproaches..
Let the 'wayward' teach the coaches

He talks no more...just croaks
Icy fingers marble his throat
The legendary owl now preys on wooly gong
He sold cochlear...now wears foam gums.

Ayamlaykorn

3 Likes

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 08, 2014
Background of poem :The idea behind this poem stems up from the typical African belief in black magic. Here,the poet extends the alleged power of black magic to marital relationships.
Theme/Analysis: KOB NO MI in Ibibio language and culture is a black magic evil charm of strong powers used by wives on especially wayward husbands to make them listen to them and them alone. When the charm is used,the husband loses the common sense to evaluate. His wife becomes his master. The man loses his reputation and eventually loses everything.
POETIC DEVICES
-Structure: The poem consists of 6 stanza of 24 lines with an air-like flow to it,and a constant end-rhyme as in "juju","fufu" and "mumu" of lines 6,7 and 8.
-Diction: The general language of the poem is simple with elements of out-of-frustration pleadings.
-Rhyme: There are mumu/fufu, hands/lamb,yam/ram,reproaches/coaches. Near rhymes have added to the air-like flow of the poem.
-Similies: In line 5,"like her ram" is a description of the owner/owned postion the speaker has found himself in without being able to do something about it just like in a ram's case.
-Metaphor:: In line 2,"reduced to a lamb" and in line 23 "legendary owl" are descriptions of the great person he was and before and what he bacame after the magic was used on him.
-Enjabment/Run on line: This is employed in line 23 and 24 where the idea of the legendary owl that preys now on woolen gongs spills to the next line. In the next line the audience will find the reason why the owl preys on woolen gongs.
-Imagery:: "Foam gums" and "woolen gongs" in lines 23 and 24 create images of impossibilities. This stresses how impossible the speaker had thought it that black magic could be used on him.
-Tone/Mood: From the speaker there is a pleading tone. The mood of the poet is mock pity.
Ayamlaykorn

1 Like

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by philtrum(m): 5:54pm On Nov 08, 2014
Contestant3: jigsawkillah and Philtrum

SEPARATE WORLDS
Philtrum:
I lay my head in motels
Where the doors don't close
And they are always out of towels.

Jigsawkillah:
It's the best I Deal with
If it ain't internationally known
The hotel doesn't worth me.

Philtrum:
Hard working for a mean Boss
So I jump out of bed daily
That I may catch a 4am bus.

Jigsawkillah
Bossing hundreds of workers
Why stress myself?
The appointment, maybe later.

Philtrum:
I'm worth only half His salary
He gets a girl like Marieolae
Feeling like the son of Anarchy.

Jigsawkillah:
Beauty goes with money
No food for lazy men
He looks like he's hungry.

Philtrum:
Can't go back to Ana
She stays down the 23rd jump street
She only wants a loan for her father.

Jigsawkillah:
Marieolae is back for me
She's Miss Independent
She has her own money.

Philtrum:
I squirm in pain in silence,
Pick my Quill and my scroll,
To Take note of my existence.

Jigsawkillah:
My picture is all over the media
I can pretend to be sad
But I've never been happier.

Philtrum:
I'll use my quill like a quiver,
When I'm most scared, depressed
And my tears flow like a river.

Jigsawkillah:
I'll use my quill to note my plans
And write long and short verses
at least, That makes me feel human.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Royver(m): 6:14pm On Nov 08, 2014
Modified.
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by philtrum(m): 6:56pm On Nov 08, 2014
BACKGROUND OF POEM: The Idea behind this poem is to portray two individuals (Males) living completely separate lives.

ANALYSIS: Though Philtrum is the Employee While jigsawkillah, the other is the Boss. They get to see perhaps almost everyday but their life experiences seem to differ in so many ways. But this poem has mentioned just few, A summary of which shows that the The Employee felt unfulfilled while his boss had all he wanted. And despite all this contrasting differences they all get to update their diaries with poems and poetry

POETIC DEVICES
STRUCTURE: This poem consist of 12stanzas of 3 lines each, A total of 36 lines.

DICTION: Voice of a pensive Employee and A Happy Employer or CEO to say

RHYMES: Silence/Existence,Salary/Anarchy, Ana/father, quiver/river, boss/bus, motels/towels etc

SIMILE: Line 31"Quill like a quiver" expresses the writer's defence to emotional vulnerability

RUN-ON-LINE: Line 35 and 36..
" And write long and short verses
at least, That makes me feel human."

MOOD: Employee- Pensiveness, fear with a feeling of vulnerability
Boss- Excitement with a polish of Arrogance
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 08, 2014
Please please bear with us,our post is coming through very soon, we have put it together a long time ago and we r just having network issues. We won't let anyone down,it's going to be awesome
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Royver(m): 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2014
Contestants no.1
Krystalxxx & Royver

LIGHT AND DARK, MAWU AND THE ASTRAL MAIDEN

THE ASTRAL MAIDEN.
(Krystalxxx)
She peeks from behind the clouds,
Shy blushes paint the sky orange.
Golden filters of her aura,
Gently caress the earth.

Teasing, she caresses our waters.
Her little jewels of gold dance,
And glitter upon it!
Like Midas's coins.

She calls upon the children to play,
Slyly tempting with her rays
Gracing the dewdrops with her twinkle
Greeting the beach sands with a tickle

(Royver)
Slowly but surely she glides through the sky
Her mission of peace she summons from on high
Her caress, the breeze, her touch, a calming sigh
As she dances to heavenly music, her rhythm divine.

Of roses and flowers and petals that bloom
There is none as sweet as our maiden in June.
For august and winter and all the year through
Her gay footsteps trail the sky with a golden hue.

Oh astral maiden who calls children to sing
Who laughs and giggles from behind a child angel's wing
Paint the sky and bring out its hue
Once more, let happiness and peace ensue

MAWU.
(Krystalxxx)
The darkness of the night is thick
Thick and suffocating.
The spell of evil is complete
Thoughts cold as ice cover the heart

Conqueror of the night
Conqueror of the labyrinth
Chosen to light the path
Chance,shall we see MAWU today?

Silently will she emerge
Surely like the snake from it's old skin
Still sweet,yet quietly
She uncovers the evil that cowers inside

Mild,bright,beautiful light
Mother of the night
Meekly she will proceed
MAWU,proud mother of the night

(Royver)
A cobra's venom is a terrible poison
A scorpions sting painful enough to distort reason
But all fall short beyond compare
In the heat of MAWU's icy stare.

She slithers so fluidly at the edge of dreams
Turning sleeping fantasies into terrible nightmares
And a person who has but horrid schemes
Will do well to ask Mawu for help, but who dares?

For her touch alone will wither and rot
That which was filled with life's saving lot
And leave it to fester and boil
And lose hope in all its labour and toil

Dangerous beauty, Dangerous night
Steal the haven off hope's light
For none can wait to see and stare
At Mawu, proud mother of the night.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by HARDDON: 7:12pm On Nov 08, 2014
Krystalxxx:
Please please bear with us,our post is coming through very soon, we have put it together a long time ago and we r just having network issues. We won't let anyone down,it's going to be awesome

Ours too!

Got ragged in transit now we sit to reset

Chizzy Brizzy, u chilling? Soup almost ready to scoop
My Quiet Quill
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 08, 2014
HARDDON:

Ours too!

Got ragged in transit now we sit to reset

My Quiet Quill
Please let's use the other thread for discussions. Pls let's modify our former posts for our submissions.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by HARDDON: 8:08pm On Nov 08, 2014
Contestant 9. HARDDON & chizzy94

WHEN INJUSTICE LIVE JUSTLY

Chizzy94

Life through my bloodshot eyes,
would scare a Lion to death
Poverty, murder, violence, injustice.
All in my hood
Tek 9ine, bullets fly, people fall.
All day, All Night.
And never a moment to rest
For we live in fear.

HARDDON

Left my wife heavy
For Bills and some levy
Before I rushed back sadly
Oh dearly
Lifeless she lay cruelly
Nurses left her early
Doctor went away swiftly
No bills no delivery
they had whispered
Here is Your bills!
Give me my wife
I wailed

Chizzy94

I'm going on this sojourn
Not minding the torture.
On my quest for justice
To wear the crest of liberty
I have decided to follow my guts
And lay low my grunts
And if I encounter any pain
I know I gave it all for Gain
For No pain
No Gain

HARDDON

Here is to the peace of my unborn child
Here is to the strength of the weak
I drink to d light at the end of these tunnel
To the ray of hope of the oppressed
The undying soul of the trampled
I drink

Chizzy94& HARDDON
To the voices like ours in the wilderness
Stay on stay strong
For on our feets we'd rather die
Than live life on our kneels
It's better to have struggled
Than to have trembled
Justice is Just it!

Our Wailing Will

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 08, 2014
MAWU and the ASTRAL MAIDEN : POEM ANALYSIS.

BACKGROUND OF THE POEM :: The astral maiden refers to the sun, which is regarded as part of the galaxies astral bodies..The sun is likened to a maiden, young and fresh,emerging to begin the day. MAWU on the other hand, is the supreme go of the FON people of ABOMEY (Republic of Benin). MAWU,the moon,brings cooler temperatures to the African world. They see her as an old mother. She is part of our inspiration for this poem.

Themes/Analysis: Daylight, Joy, Fear of Darkness , The power of "gods and godesses" . MAWU , the mother of the moon, is used to show the power of gods and godesses alike. Joy is shown in both instances, the Astral Maiden brings "joy to children" and makes things beautiful. Fear, however, is shown through MAWU's presence,although she also brings relief.

POETIC DEVICES:
1. PERSONIFICATION: The Sun and Moon are given human attributes, for example, the sun is able to caress and call,while the moon is reffered to as though it were an actual human,a mother visiting frightened children.

2. RUN-ON-LINE : The sentences in the poem are connected in most areas until the verse ends with a final full stop.

3. RHYME : There are a few rhymes in this poem,such as " twinkle and tickle" and " light and night"

4. MOOD: There are two moods depicted in the poem. Happiness ( for the arrival of the sun) and Sadness/ Fear ( for the arrival of the moon ).

5. SIMILIE: MAWU ,line 10 ; " Like the snake from it's old skin " and in the part about the Astral Maiden....."like Midas Coins".

2 Likes

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by pureIvory(f): 9:12pm On Nov 08, 2014
Contestants 8 (MIDASBLISS & PUREIVORY)

SYNERGY O'FRUSTRATION.

PUREIVORY.

I am lost!
Battered shoes worn on shivering shrivelled legs
My life has no cost.
Echoes of bangs weakens my legs
I am Audu Okoro.

MIDASBLISS

Spills of blood designated me.
My humble home in weeping flames.
Bones of my family,
Pleading to rest
Hearts of stone; Adolf like!

PUREIVORY

My family;
Which is it that it is?
My dark lids flutters open; not humbly
I assure, this nightmare is no thesis.
I wish to know me...

MIDASBLISS

I was derailed by thorns of the soil.
A mutated sojourner,
Like chicks, I craved for crumbs.
My agility, malformed by deviation.
I was an illusion, life and death I knew not where I stand.

PUREIVORY & MIDASBLISS

I am dangling on a fence,
Vultures swaying high.
My whole being sleeps dense.
I screeched like a bear for it is nigh.
I am Audu Okoro.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by lordthunderbolt(m): 9:14pm On Nov 08, 2014
honestly it's either the judges are not here and penalties are not given. ..the post was meant for 6 pm submission time and as at now. ...We haven't heard our verdicts. ...how will we write tomorrow to meet up the time...This is unfair to us.. .who met the time line am not asking for any favour...buh why is it taking too long for the judges to tell us our scores??
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by pureIvory(f): 9:53pm On Nov 08, 2014
Analysis of Synergy O'frustration.

Analysis/ Theme:
The dominant themes are the Aftermath of a war, suffering, displacement and hopelessness.
A boy, Audu Okoro's family and home is destroyed in a battle, leaving him with no identity and home as he only remembers his family in nightmares that are constant. He doesn't know where he is from or where he is going. He has no helper and he is left between live and death, between his past and future, hence he says, "I am dangling on a fence"

Poetic devices: IMAGERY: The poem contains lines that are picturesque in the reader's mind. Examples: Line 2, line 7, line 13, line 22.

Diction: The poets' choice of words are simple, comprehensive words that triggers imagery.

Structure: The poem consists of five stanzas with five lines in each stanza. Stanza 1,3,5 are written with an alternate rhyming scheme.

Repetition: A line is repeated at the end of stanza 1 and stanza 5. It may also serve as a refrain.

Tone: The tone is that of frustration.
Mood: The poem evokes sadness and pity.

Figures of speech:
Pathos: Line 2 ( battered shoes worn on shivering shrivelled legs)

Onomatopoeia: words like battered, shrivelled, bangs, flutters explains itself with the sound.

Alliteration: Shoes worn on shivering shrivelled legs.

Personification: Weeping flames.

Simile: Like chicks, I craved for crumbs.

And many more figures of speech.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by sosiqdude(m): 10:51pm On Nov 08, 2014
HAIL DEATH

sosiqdude and gottoboy/

sosiqdude
Hail Death the end of life
The master planner of a soul's end
the farmer that plucks out a fruit before it is ripe
the stupid tailor who gashes a clothe he can't amend

gottoboy
Hail Death i heard you're Inevitable.
You make Living Souls to fall like withered Vegetable.
The heart will Cease to Beat
A dying man will wish to stand back to his Fit

sosiqdude
Hail death the king of sadness
He who Snatch life in the darkness
He hate to see happy cause he is heartless
He that Command soul, dead with boldness

gottoboy
The rich and the Poor will Die
Families to the Belated will Cry
The Youths wish you never catch up with them in their early Life Stages
because Like Cancer you are known for killing both Genders across all Ages

sosiqdude
The blood will cry for help
The ears will not listen
And soul still ask for help
But blood will still glisten

gottoboy
Death is a journey to Mankind
Either by Air, Sea, vehicle or Rail way Station,
It is a 'must reach Destination
Literally speaking! The solution to death? No mortal can Find

5 Likes

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by AD30LA: 12:08am On Nov 09, 2014
LOVE IS FRAUD
(AD30LA AND IGItee)

(AD30LA)
My heart, a sea engulfed by emptiness
Impeded by historical agony
Filled by nothing but impairing darkness
Thence you came with your placating beauty
With a smile breaking through my cardiac walls
Leaving me unguarded against your spulls

(IGItee)
I wonder and ponder but can't remember
What life looks like before my heart you win
Moments linger but passing time seem shorter
Days became brighter than it's ever been
Nights are dreary and for dreams I bother not
For this reality I'll rather not blot

(AD30LA)
You came lightening my mind with your love
Your presence adds music to my heartbeat
With an innocence unmatched by the dove
With you around even the bile tastes sweet
The softness of your lips; ineffable
Your body curvature; impossible

(IGItee)
Heart to heart, communion of fated souls
Paths intertwined, soul mates long destined
Match made in heaven? hmmm... Only God knows
This feel is pristine, oh! divinely ordained
Am lost in your essence, captured by your ambience
A taste of paradise, our eternal existence

(AD30LA)
Little did i know you're a deserter
You turn my pool of love to bloody well
The bond we created spontaneously you sever
Converting my painted heaven to hell
Love lost languishes the mind severely
Makes even the strongest heart weep bitterly

(IGItee)
Gloom looms, my innate senses tingle
Love's doom imminent but denial my refuge pit
Fantasies fading to nothingness, again am single
Pain leaves a soothing appeal compared to torturous exit
Once famed memories, now memoirs of discord
Affection is naught, love is surely fraud

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by AD30LA: 2:37am On Nov 09, 2014
Structure: [/b]the poem is written in SESTET with a uniform rhyme scheme ABABCC (STAVE OF SIX). It has a total of six stanzas and thirty six lines i.e six lines per stanza.

[b]Theme
: the dominant themes in this poem include –pleasure, love, happiness, and sadness.

Content analysis
:
The poem portrays a common phenomenon of heartbreak: The pleasure and pain of falling in love

Poetic devices
:
Alliteration; this device is used in line 2 stanza 2 “life looks like” and line 5 stanza 5, “Love lost languishes”
Malapropism; this is used in line six of the first stanza. (Spulls to mean spells)
Enjambment; this means the running over of the sense of one line into the next and this is used in most lines of this poem
Irony; in line 4 stanza 3 “bile tastes sweet” it is used to express the power of companionship
Onomatopoeia; this device is used in line 1 stanza 6 “Gloom looms, my innate senses tingle”
Paradox; this is used in stanza 5, in both line 2 “You turn my pool of love to bloody well” and line 4 “Converting my painted heaven to hell”
Personification; this is used in line 6 stanza 5 “Makes even the strongest heart weep bitterly”
Meter; the poem is written in pentameters majorly iambs and trochees with a touch of dactyls for rhythm.
Rhyme: a uniform rhyme scheme (ABABCC) is adopted.

1 Like

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Nobody: 2:47am On Nov 09, 2014
[size=18pt]Heart In Sync
[/size]
.....as submitted by Iyabodeh and Kagari.

I walk the forest of my longing heart's realm,
Hoping I'd see the object of my dreams.
For the love that brought me to life.
At the time I had lost in the near extreme.
Held on I did, for a new day to strive.

I wait for her today.
Memorising every word i would say.
My voice sounds strange to me.
O!please; give me the strength for this.

I see a glimpse of my broken beauty.
Should i stay or leave immediately.
Would she want to stay and listen?
She might just laugh and leave me.

I felt a sudden warmth on my hands.
While my heart melted at a glance.
She stood right in front of me smiling.
Is this real or am I again day dreaming?

I thought she asked me a question.
Maybe it was just my hyper intuition.
She asked this time, clear and bold.
What i was doing alone under the cold.

She spoke so confidently and smooth.
I was lost in the power of her voice.
She mixed it with a local touch.
I was transfixed, i couldn't move.

I was confused, i didn't know my stance.
My body reeled with feminine fright.
She wiped my face with her palms.
Felt my pulse, saying i was alright.

But i knew i was sick in fear.
She asked what my name was.
I said i was raphael.
She smiled, i blushed.

Iyabodeh:

She saw him, still and rigid.
Trying to look smart, but really failing.
His face, an expression so morbid.
Why does her heart, a smile its sending?

His sight on her, so surely.
Makes her look forward to mornings.
Regular on the spot he has been.
Always standing, always lost in himself.

Milady, no merry thoughts of the sonny.
Thus says her brain but her heart he melts, And his seeming disinterest sends a warning.
"I'm love. And I want you, all in!"

What they say she cares no more.
Poor he is, but all she sees is his honor.
She sees a man with a lonely heart.
Speaking to her to reverse role and be the knight.

He is cold again, feet like they are pinned.
Ice she should break, she sends her warmth.
Words spoken, and even forgotten norms.
A blush is enough for her to be convinced.

Her thought takes off, care not what they say.
Our journey starts here, no looking back.
If they give a damn? Her heart gets blank.
The ship is sailing, a new life as deemed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by OMA4U(m): 11:24am On Nov 09, 2014
Results for the first round of this competition:

JUDGE ONE
CONTEST. 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
ORG 18 14 18 14 12 16 12 13
P/D 17 14 16 17 17 18 16 15
C/S 18 18 14 17 18 18 16 17
GRAM 9 7 7 7 8 8 8 6
THE/ANA 8 8 8 — — 10 8 —
M/IMA 18 18 17 16 17 18 17 17
TOTAL 88 79 80 71 72 88 77 68

Others are coming in
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by OMA4U(m): 11:40am On Nov 09, 2014

JUDGE TWO

CONTEST. 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
ORG 17 15 17 16 17 16 15 15
P/D 17 15 17 15 15 18 18 14
C/S 17 17 17 15 17 17 17 17
GRAM 8 7 8 8 5 8 8 7
THE/ANA 8 8 8 — — 7 8 —
M/IMA 18 18 18 18 17 17 17 16
TOTAL 85 80 85 72 71 83 83 69
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by sosiqdude(m): 11:53am On Nov 09, 2014
Description

Structure:the poem is a total of six stanza

Theme: the dominant theme in this, the poem is just, that death doesn't fear..it a poem that show how death works and its pride of wicked. a poem of sorrow, blood, soul and life

Content analysis:
The poem show how it take one's life without the knowledge of the person..

Poetic devices:
Metaphor: the farmer that pluck out a fruit before it is ripe..in a short description..the speaker put "death" as in the state of "farmer".

Similes: you make Living Souls to fall like withered Vegetable..
"The speaker refers the living soul as [/i]withered vegetable[/i]"

Mood: life and dead

Tone: the voice of cry

Personification: master planner

Rhyme: the poem in our poems are-
Life,ripe,end,amend, inevitable. Vegetable, beat,fit, sadness,darkness,heartless,boldness. etc
Uniform rhyme
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by OMA4U(m): 12:04pm On Nov 09, 2014

JUDGE THREE

CONTEST. 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9
ORG 17 16 16 16 17 17 15 15
P/D 17 16 14 15 15 15 18 14
C/S 18 18 15 15 16 16 17 15
GRAM 8 8 9 9 8 8 8 8
THE/ANA 8 7 8 — — 7 8 —
M/IMA 18 17 18 18 17 17 18 15
TOTAL 86 82 80 73 73 80 84 67

Total scores are coming in after proper verifications.
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by OMA4U(m): 1:00pm On Nov 09, 2014
TOTAL SCORES:

Contestant 1 - 259
Contestant 2 - 241
Contestant 3 - 245
Contestant 5 - 216
Contestant 6 - 216
Contestant 7 - 251
Contestant 8 - 244
Contestant 9 - 204

Congratulations to all Contestants!

We hereby announce our Contestants for the second round

Contestant 1
Contestant 7
Contestant 3

We are expecting the best of all bests from you guys.

Thanks
OMA
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by noble4d(m): 1:31pm On Nov 09, 2014
Hallo dear poet, you guys are good, you really made the judges suck their toes.

You all write well but not without little flaws. The body of a poem is the structure, that's the area where most of you failed. Some of the poems submitted were off in areas like grammatical accuracy, and diction. The inclusion of analysis to poetry is highly vital because it enables the readers to understand more of the message passed.

I congratulate the participants who made it to the last round of the competition. The judges are expecting you to work more in areas like structure, diction, and analysis.

Thanks
noble cares smiley

3 Likes

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by OMA4U(m): 5:06pm On Nov 09, 2014
DETAILS OF THE SECOND ROUND OF THE COMPETITION:

The second round has been postponed till next weekend. We believe this will give our finalists ample time to craft their muse to its apogee.

STRICT INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE SECOND ROUND THAT MUST BE ADHERE TO.

The collaborative poems for the second round must come in different forms. There are various forms of poetry to apply, check out this

https://www.nairaland.com/1958923/beauty-poetry

* A poem that will be submitted for the second round must be of more than one form in which SONNET MUST BE ONE.

Any questions?

Thanks
OMA
Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by Mrfils(m): 8:03pm On Nov 09, 2014
Ayam quietly enjoying my life here.. Kudos! to y'all. Seeing u guys with so much substance, there is hope for Nigeria. Thanks for blessing my day

1 Like

Re: Collaborative Poetry Competition Season One: ROYVER AND KRYSTALXXX WINS!!! by AD30LA: 8:32pm On Nov 09, 2014
OMA4U:
DETAILS OF THE SECOND ROUND OF THE COMPETITION:

The second round has been postponed till next weekend. We believe this will give our finalists ample time to craft their muse to its apogee.

STRICT INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE SECOND ROUND THAT MUST BE ADHERE TO.

The collaborative poems for the second round must come in different forms. There are various forms of poetry to apply, check out this

https://www.nairaland.com/1958923/beauty-poetry

* A poem that will be submitted for the second round must be of more than one form in which SONNET MUST BE ONE.

Any questions?

Thanks
OMA
do u mean, we are going to write more than one poem?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

rich also cry.... / Good Screenplay Story - Nigerian Movie Script - Available / The Courage To Succeed: An Inspirational Story.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.