Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,799 members, 7,802,562 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils (21185 Views)

Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters / El-rufai Announces Autonomy For Local Councils, Swears-in Sole Administrators / Southeast Governors Reject Transfer Of Boko Haram Suspects To Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by fairheven: 7:07am On Oct 24, 2014
Why won't they refuse it,I don't expect less from.them,..Nigerian governors been stealing from local government account since 1900 cool this calls for more "Owambe" cool an wasteful foreign trip.
Btw,the national assembly does not need the consent of the governors to the grant local government autonomy,if it is to approve dubious pay for themselves,they wud have done it with "immediate alacrity" cool
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by jbolt(m): 7:09am On Oct 24, 2014
Because of the lack of autonomy,those at the bottom ladder of governance do not receive the dividends of governance.Governors hoard money that is supposed to be used by lgas.
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 24, 2014
CFCfan:

It shows how the governors are so used to impunity. It's really a shame.

But my support for LG autonomy has some limitations - Personal income tax should be solely within the purview of the FG and States; and the LGs should be barred from setting up law enforcement agencies.
And who said local governments cared about those? It seems you really do not know what is happening at the moment. State commissioners for finance go to abuja to collect cheques for both state and lga allocation. The governor takes state allocation then does with it as he pleases, then he takes lga allocation, removes salaries, adds a little capital expenditures, adds a little change for the lga politicians then keeps the rest. Its not like the money is a lot compared to their own allocation but it shows you the level of kleptomaniacs they belong to.

This autonomy is mostly about giving local governments the right to go to abuja directly to receive their allocation.
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by stinggy(m): 7:16am On Oct 24, 2014
BruzMoney:

Yes, this is why we shouLd vote this selfish man that doesn't allocate duties to proper quaters out... Imagine a governor saying he'll distribute teacher's employment letter himself so that someone will nt take his glory.... We need to. Gt it right In oyo state
I'm telling you bruv
Can't wait to see this man booted out angry

eleko1:
Not only in Oyo state(as u erroneously put it)it is common all over d state's'
blink182:
Virtually all the states in Nigeria are guilty of this.
The National Assembly should press on with it and leave the state assemblies to conclude the work.

Yea, but Oyo state was used as example for personal reasons

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 24, 2014
A
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by henryutd(m): 7:35am On Oct 24, 2014
Irrespective of any political party they belong, governors are the highest thief of all time. Peter Obi ruled Anambra State without LG chairmen. He later conducted election and installed them few months before he left. No party represent the interest of this country. Same old criminals jumping from one party to another since 1960.
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by fortunejum: 7:46am On Oct 24, 2014
dridowu:
Jang Led and Ameachi Led, of what benefit is NGF to ordinary citizen ?
Political benefit. wink
dridowu:
Jang Led and Ameachi Led, of what benefit is NGF to ordinary citizen ?
Political benefit.

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by conyema12(m): 7:47am On Oct 24, 2014
The Governors are kicking against what they see as gross disarmament of their power to flex with the funds.
to some states the allocation that gets to the governors table will be reduced to about 50 %.

How will this affect the masses?
Grass root projects in the rural settings will be carried out. And it will simmer down to.the people in the rural settings.
Most of the councillors will be elected with confidence by their people.

On the issues of corruption, Being a lesser devil with little money to buy his/her way out. The LG chairmen can easily be probed by Anti-corruption Agency like EFCC.
When they start misappropriation of funds.

It's a welcome development. ...if only our law makers have the balls..

4 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by englishmart(m): 7:55am On Oct 24, 2014
cocoduck:

look at them yes you are one of the thugs used by these thrives to terrorise the people why would you say no? when you know it is from the money meant for grass root development that he pays you with but this time you will fail. demo crazy bitches
pls. Just shut your trap

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by Onmason(m): 8:10am On Oct 24, 2014
Hmmm Abbacici, d LG chairs are useless cos dey were made so by d Governors. Dias corruption right from d fed govt in trillions, state govt in billions and Lg in millions! We are nt blind fr gudness sake, let d 'holy' govs allow d financial autonomy and leave d rest 2 Lg commision nd relevant fiscal regulatory bodies. Dey are not EFCC and ICPC wat an insult to our intelligence!!
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by msmon(m): 8:13am On Oct 24, 2014
Ok FP! It's going to be a great weekend.

On Topic:
I often criticize the councils because they refuse to play the role they were created for (i.e bringing governance closer to the people), I come to realize though that they have been handicapped by the state govt. and this news is a good attest to that fact.

Off Topic:

mukina2, maclatunji, Oga Seun,
Pls do the needful on this thread, it another Friday.
www.nairaland.com/1888631/etiquette-salat-al-jumuah-friday-prayer
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by Dewze(m): 8:14am On Oct 24, 2014
Why are the APC and PDP e-worriors not commenting on this thread? Where are the omenka, sincerenigerian, berem, egift, barcanista, gbawe and the rest of them. You guys should come display your intelligence here, Nigeria is not all about GEJ and Buhari.

3 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by Dewze(m): 8:22am On Oct 24, 2014
msmon:
Ok FP! It's going to be a great weekend.

On Topic:
I often criticize the councils because they refuse to play the role they were created for (i.e bringing governance closer to the people), I come to realize though that they have been handicapped by the state govt. and this news is a good attest to that fact.

Off Topic:

mukina2, maclatunji, Oga Seun,
Pls do the needful on this thread, it another Friday.
www.nairaland.com/1888631/etiquette-salat-al-jumuah-friday-prayer
a thread created in a section that is for muslims and for muslims alone should not be put on the front page. FP is for everyone.
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by Onmason(m): 8:24am On Oct 24, 2014
All of ds call fr why we must collectively 'Buharilise' 2015! So much rubish!!
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by msmon(m): 8:29am On Oct 24, 2014
You are not wrong bro, but it has been witnessed on several occasion (especially Sundays) that we have christian related thread on FP, yet FP is for everyone. I'm not calling for a debate though I won't argue if you one of mukina2, maclatunji, Oga Seun.

Dewze:
a thread created in a section that is for muslims and for muslims alone should not be put on the front page. FP is for everyone.
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by coputa(m): 8:31am On Oct 24, 2014
segzyj:
See them.... Thieves, Most especially that Mimiko, he alone is the Governor,the council chairman and the counselor of all the eighteen local govt area of Ondo State for the past five year,why won't he move against council autonomy..... You will soon meet your waterloo.... Shege
same with governor emmanuel uduaghan of Delta state,for the past four years,there is no local goverment chairmen and councillors in the twenty five councils in the state,he uses the money to buy the best governor award,
if you visit delta state,you will be taken abacj by the sorry state of things,no motorable road,when it rains,the whole state is almost submerged with flood,people are suffering,despite the huge federal allocation that the state receives monthly.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by cocoduck: 8:46am On Oct 24, 2014
englishmart:
pls. Just shut your trap
you know I know who you are and what you do for a living You are a thug and you want me to shut up because you lazy bones want this nonsense to continue I will not. shut up
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 24, 2014
These governors are always against LG autonomy, meaning they are against the Constitution of the FRN which has a provision for LG autonomy and which they, the Governors swore to uphold and defend. There will never be true democracy without LG autonomy. Nigeria will never progress with these set of governors who continue to oppose anything progressive because of their selfish, parochial, economic interests. 36 Governors cannot decide what 160 million Nigerians want. I thought there a public hearing on constitution amendment where Nigeria spoke their minds. The wishes of the people should always be respected.

4 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by IYANGBALI: 9:11am On Oct 24, 2014
stinggy:
See thieves! Yet they want states' autonomy.
They squander the money meant for LG by not conducting elections as stipulated by law e.g. Oyo state
what part of the geographical zone in Nigeria is Oyo state?
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 24, 2014
What sort of irresponsible Governors do we have. This is a shame and an embarrassment to our collective sensibility.

We must all support LG Autonomy

3 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by stinggy(m): 9:42am On Oct 24, 2014
IYANGBALI:
what part of the geographical zone in Nigeria is Oyo state?
I should ask you...
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by e9club: 9:43am On Oct 24, 2014
Do a part time work and make over N300,000 every month
Join E9CLUB Nigeria Today.
http://www.e9club.com
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by Arsenalbro: 9:47am On Oct 24, 2014
Delta state is worst , after 7 yrs no LGA Election s
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by IYANGBALI: 9:47am On Oct 24, 2014
stinggy:

I should ask you...
olodo ni e

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by torch01(m): 9:51am On Oct 24, 2014
simply because they want to keep and increase their level of influences, maintaine power as well as to have reasons not to remove immunity.

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by stinggy(m): 10:03am On Oct 24, 2014
IYANGBALI:
olodo ni e
Gbabe tongue
Telme d answer na grin
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by highchiefpee(m): 10:03am On Oct 24, 2014
God bless you my brother,36 governors cannot dictate for millions of nigerians, this is an insult on nigerians by this thieving gorvernors,I think we need to organize a protest across the country cos governors av vowed to frustrate the ammendment @ the state houses of assembly
Okonikott:
These governors are always against LG autonomy, meaning they are against the Constitution of the FRN which has a provision for LG autonomy and which they, the Governors swore to uphold and defend. There will never be true democracy without LG autonomy. Nigeria will never progress with these set of governors who continue to oppose anything progressive because of their selfish, parochial, economic interests. 36 Governors cannot decide what 160 million Nigerians want. I thought there a public hearing on constitution amendment where Nigeria spoke their minds. The wishes of the people should always be respected.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by noguile: 10:13am On Oct 24, 2014
States check and balance the Federal Govt. Who checks and balance the States? Naturally the Local Governments! The states always want to engage the Federal Government but would hardly tolerate Local Governments doing the same to them. Go to Oyigbo L.G.A. in Rivers State and see what lack of autonomy has caused.

3 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by 4C2215131: 10:28am On Oct 24, 2014
No autonomy for LGs, at least not in Nigeria. Haven't folks learned their lessons already? You want two 'independent' governments in one state? Haven't you had enough abuse from non-peforming governors already? You still hanker for another bloated eel who sees himself as the governor of his little farmland (his local government) where he now institutionalizes corrupt acts with un-bridled passion without check from an even more corrupt governor.

No! It can't happen. Not for the selfish reasons that the NGF espouse but for the predereliction of the average politician to corruption and abuse of office to the highest degree. If this goes through, the average Nigerian is finished! Kaput!
Re: Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils by oniconx: 10:29am On Oct 24, 2014
The real powers of Governors lies in their absolute control of LGs. Remove this and you will see how empty the powers of governors are.. Governors use LG political appointments and administrative structures for cheap and undeserved political advantage to trample oppositions amd amass godfather advantage.That is why in all states and with all parties whenever you organise LG election it is landslide for rulin party and No way for opposition.The governors use LG resources rather than State own to showcase the governors own performance.You can see why they oppose LG autonomy. Nigerians during last constituency refrendum to amend the constitution voted in favor of LG autonomy.Ditto the last National Delegates Conference. But the governors forum cabals is bent on frustrating the popular desire. Nigerians enough of this selfish cabals. We must cry out for LG freedom lest our sufferings continue. Hit like and share for better tommorrow.Freedom from oppressors is never easy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Video - Nnamdi Kanu Is A Rapist And Women Abuser - Ngozi Madu Reveals / Women Dancing After Receiving Tradermoni In Benue (Photos) / Popular PDP Supporter, Ayokunle Odekunle Is Dead, Atiku Abubakar Mourns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.