Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,395 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. (12129 Views)

Military: Boko Haram Rocket Making Factory Photos Not Real / Secret Nigerian Drinking Dens In Kano / The Secret Nigerian Politcians Will Die To Keep Secret By Henry Omoregie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 16, 2008
Nigerian Scientists Launch Rockets
By J.K. Obatala - GUARDIAN NEWS.

OFFICIALS at the Centre For Space Transport And Propulsion (CSTP), Epe, Lagos State, have made a startling revelation: Nigerian Scientists and engineers have, for the past two years, been building and launching experimental rockets - without foreign assistance.

Coordinator of the Centre, Mr. Oluremi A. Fashade, told The Guardian last week that at least nine test-firings had occurred.

The rockets are launched from a testing range near the Lagos State University, adjacent to the Lagos Lagoon.

For the first time ever, Fashade, an engineer, talked openly about the Centre's formerly top secret rocket research, which is being carried out under the auspices of the National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA).

Among other things, he said that the Centre would, in time, graduate to bigger and more complex craft, capable of launching satellites and eventually humans into space.

He said that the NASRDA was acquiring a new launch site on a remote island in the Atlantic, to accommodate full-sized space vehicles.

@TOPIC

Imagine a kite flying around LASU.
Nigeria is a place for comedians. How bold can a people be when displaying stupidity? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 16, 2008
Top secret?

Anyway, why are you laughing? Are you insinuating that there's no possibility of launching a rocket in Nigeria? What happened to faith? cheesy
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by bawomolo(m): 7:05am On Nov 16, 2008
top secret what 

the only rockets getting launched in nigeria are bangers grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 16, 2008
stillwater:

Top secret?

Anyway, why are you laughing? Are you insinuating that there's no possibility of launching a rocket in Nigeria? What happened to faith? cheesy

I'm not insinuating anything, i was simply celebrating the great nigeria for launching rockets from our own soil and LASU of all places. Nigerians have finally woken up. Hurray!!!
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 16, 2008
bawomolo:

top secret what 

the only rockets getting launched in nigeria are bangers grin grin grin

Whats your problem? angry
Are you calling the nigerian scientists liars?
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by jgirl3: 7:16am On Nov 16, 2008
Of what use is a rocket from Nigeria?
No one will be bold enough to fly in them as astronauts, not to even talk of gong as far as discovering new life in Pluto.
They need to focus on Nuclear bombs so we can at least have a way of defending ourselves in the event of any war.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by bawomolo(m): 7:21am On Nov 16, 2008
nuzo:

Whats your problem? angry
Are calling the nigerian scientists liars?

liars ke. why would i call them liars. these rockets are truly a technological breakthrough

[img]http://www.yorkcounty.gov/tourism/images/web_cannon.jpg[/img] cheesy
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 16, 2008
Lmao.  cheesy You're wicked. cheesy
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 16, 2008
j-girl:

Of what use is a rocket from Nigeria?
No one will be bold enough to fly in them as astronauts, not to even talk of gong as far as discovering new life in Pluto.
They need to focus on Nuclear bombs so we can at least have a way of defending ourselves in the event of any war.

Abi oo. . . . .at least we will have enough time to build the roads, electricity, education, etc when the war is over; they are simply not necessary now. undecided
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 16, 2008
bawomolo:

liars ke. why would i call them liars. these rockets are truly a technological breakthrough

You are so lucky, i was almost calling on tpia; the grand defender of blind patriotic nigerians to reduce you to your size immediately.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by congoshine(m): 10:25am On Nov 16, 2008
Beans? undecided
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Horus(m): 12:55pm On Nov 16, 2008
Nigerian Student Fabricates Satellite Rocket Launcher, Digital Antenna

Engineering Student of the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi, Mr. Musa Zubairu, has fabricated a satellite rocket launcher and a digital transmission antenna using locally fabricated materials. The rocket which has the capacity to cover 372 km in less 110 seconds, is said to have gone through static testing at the polytechnic. Mr. Zubairu, 30, said on Sunday in Bauchi that the electro-wave aeronautic and digital transmission antenna, he fabricated, could be used for both military and domestic operations."Unlike the conventional space antenna, the new device is designed to operate on earth surface, using electrical wave and transmit signals to a classified destination," he said."The device is specially constructed to perform multi-sectoral purposes such as auronatics, geodesy, geo-dynamics, agro-metrological survey and broadcast transmission. "It is also designed to enhance security surveillance" he said.According to him, the fabricated antenna could also be used for soil analysis, climatology and for monitoring earth movement to detect quakes, flooding, storm and natural calamities.The young innovator said that the device was fitted with navigational device, which could help in establishing the location of individuals, mineral deposits and missing persons as well as guide conflict management and rescue missions. "The antenna relies on earth rotation in relation to time in identifying the location of missing persons, air crafts and mineral deposits."The device can also be useful in protecting Internet facilities and electronic mails from piracy," he said. Zubairu, however, attributed the shortage of funds to his inability to perfect the projects and urged government and non-governmental organisations to give him a helping hand to facilitate the launching of the project for the benefit of mankind.

"I am financially constrained to complete the project, but I am soliciting for support from government and non-governmental bodies so that my dream of launching Nigeria on the global technological scene can be realised," he said.
Mr. Zubairu also called for adequate funding of the education sector in order to stimulate more research and innovations as part of measures to facilitate the growth of science and technical education in the country.
He urged government to encourage students undertaking various research studies in the nation's higher institutions learning so as to achieve the dream of making Nigeria one of the top 20 economies in the world by 2020.
He said that improved funding of research works and provision of laboratory equipment would stimulate teaching, enhance academic excellence and promote competition among students.
"Adequate funding of research studies will facilitate the nation's drive towards sustainable economic and technical development," Zubairu said.

Source: http://www.voiceofnigeria.org/student-rocket.htm
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Nov 16, 2008
roflmao!
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by oderemo(m): 6:28pm On Nov 16, 2008
we can actually launch a rocket after consuming apu top with ichiewu, with ogogoro or apetechi , why not anything is poss. then. at least you can c anything afterwards.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by courage89(m): 10:20pm On Nov 16, 2008
I understand from the angle of “from strong criticism, we can bring the best out of our failure”. But why is it that we (Nigerians) never believe in our abilities and capabilities. We tend to shoot ourselves in the foot by believing that we can never achieve greatness, therefore not pushing harder.

Where is the support on this forum? I believe our job as Nigerians are to; offer support, embrace good ideas, and motivate individuals, groups, organization with good ideas and intention to perform better. I think we can motivate them by recognizing their work, critiquing their work and effort to create room for improvement for the betterment of the economy.

At least they’ve open wide range of awareness for other schools to cultivate, and I strongly believe that the awareness will translate into knowledge building and modification, from knowledge building you get practice which will lead to success. I say kudos to all those people behind the Rocket Launching.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by kosovo(m): 10:36pm On Nov 16, 2008
oh ma gush,
hahahahhahahhahhhahhahahaha
i laugh ma laugh in pidgin.
Nigeria, WHAT A WASTE!

very soon we might be advocating for the creation of MINISTRY of ROCKET LAUNCH CENTERS.
nothing WEY we nor go hear,
let me stop typing before Mr. RULE OF LAW sends SS to come pick me up JUST as he did to CHANNELS TV. lol
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by ikeyman00(m): 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2008
couarage89

I think there is something u need to understand here u know; u got to know there are lots of looser nigerian citizen hiding in oversea, they barely see anything good commng out of nigeria, they critise, and critize with layin any solutions, resoution or ideas.

age is barely so kind to them, they will keep laughin their f uckin a$$ off till thy kingdom come, but guess what , wait till soludo reverse naira value, the truth cannot longer be concealed

hmmm ha dumb heads stay tight!!
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nigeria4: 10:39pm On Nov 16, 2008
The first story from lagos may be true. but the one from bauchi , can not be true. it takes many people even here to do what a student claim he did. The one in lagos they claim it is experimental , but the one in bauchi claim say na real. You know say 419 dey inside.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by ikeyman00(m): 11:07pm On Nov 16, 2008
The first story from lagos may be true. but the one from bauchi , can not be true. it takes many people even here to do what a student claim he did. The one in lagos they claim it is experimental ,  but the one in bauchi claim say na real. You know say 419 dey inside.

hmmmm thinkin? mc usman need to answer that?

but as for the guy that built helipcoter, was him not from the north?

auto from nnewi anambra state? any doubt or u those one that beleive yoruba de clever well well eyea!
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by lucabrasi(m): 11:23pm On Nov 16, 2008
typical, this cynicism is turning to something else, so just cause it happened in lasu guess it must be fake then,if we as nigerians our first responce is cynicism or jeering at achievements then corrupt politicians isnt the only shackle tying us down to being underdeveloped third world country, are the westerners,the indians,chinese created from a different planet to ours?seems we have conditioned our mindset that anything from nigeria has to be fake or inferior and anythig from the west is the best, unless im detecting some tribal undertones here, animal farm comes to mind 2 legs good 4 legs bad, 2 legs good, 4 legs bad tell 'em long enough and they ll start to believe it
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by diggler(m): 11:39pm On Nov 16, 2008
Horus:

Nigerian Student Fabricates Satellite Rocket Launcher, Digital Antenna

could be used for both military and domestic operations.""The device is specially constructed to perform multi-sectoral purposes such as auronatics, geodesy, geo-dynamics, agro-metrological survey and broadcast transmission. "It is also designed to enhance security surveillance" he said.According to him, the fabricated antenna c[b]ould also be used for soil analysis, climatology and for monitoring earth movement to detect quakes, flooding, storm and natural calamities.[/b]The young innovator said that the device was fitted with navigational device, which could help in establishing the location of individuals, mineral deposits and missing persons as well as guide conflict management and rescue missions.[size=8pt] Zubairu, however, attributed the shortage of funds to his inability to perfect the projects and urged government and non-governmental organisations to give him a helping hand to facilitate the launching of the project for the benefit of mankind.[/size]

"I am financially constrained to complete the project, but I am soliciting for support from government and non-governmental bodies so that my dream of launching Nigeria on the global technological scene can be realised," he said.

Source: http://www.voiceofnigeria.org/student-rocket.htm

The guy left out this devices ability to cook amongst other domestic chores.

Also if he needs government support he should highlight the money laundering and embezzlement capabilities of this device.

Iwu will kiss him if he points out the election riggin, ballot box snatching, stuffing and non tribunal overturning capabilities of this device.

Our true scientists at LASU should speed up the rockets make we test run am for Cameroon.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by DisGuy: 11:40pm On Nov 16, 2008
What the big deal, why don't tehy just show it on TV
and rockets are not that tiny are they? people especially LASU
students will have seen the bloody thing

you can get rocket parts at the local store anyway BnQ, homebase and online  cool
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by kay9(m): 12:33am On Nov 17, 2008
This is the 21st century, not the 12th grin grin. I don't mean to despise little beginnings and all, but someone should please tell our Naija-based scientists that the world has moved on past home-made rockets - that is, if this is not some silly catch-22. Nobody is gon.na give 'em a medal for manufacturing a crude contraption like that; in fact they more likely to get laughed at. The way to do it is to learn the current technological standard, then incorporate it into your own design. Stop re-inventing the wheel; the Mesopotamians did that five millenia ago.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by bawomolo(m): 12:35am On Nov 17, 2008
it's not cynicism but how in the hell can a rocket launch be top secret?
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Kobojunkie: 12:51am On Nov 17, 2008
diggler:

The guy left out this devices ability to cook amongst other domestic chores.
Also if he needs government support he should highlight the money laundering and embezzlement capabilities of this device.
Iwu will kiss him if he points out the election riggin, ballot box snatching, stuffing and non tribunal overturning capabilities of this device.

Our true scientists at LASU should speed up the rockets make we test run am for Cameroon.

The list sort of looks like the same one that was used to sell the Nigerian people the NIGCOMSAT satellite idea. lol
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by tpia: 1:32am On Nov 17, 2008
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nigeria4: 2:06am On Nov 17, 2008
I only said so , because that picture came from this website space-rockets.com
here is the links below. So that why I said it is 419.

http://www.space-rockets.com/photo/launch1.jpg
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Beextra(m): 2:32am On Nov 17, 2008
Hurts me deeply when '' Hypocritical true patriotic Nigerians '' choke over developmental issues, Same way they said GSM tech. wouldnt see the light of the day,Oh ! what about the Automated Teller Machines that is gradualy begining to adore major cities, And its even no Longer news that Nigerian Banks are receiving accolades globally.These are few examples amongst lots.

Well if you are a Nigerian in Diaspora and you are still so pessimistic/in doubt about the potentials of Nigeria,the truth is the National ills notwithstanding i.e ( Insecurity ,Energy flaws ,cCorruption etc ) Nigeria a.k.a the Prodigal Son is returning back to us,and we need to embrace,love and assist him - If we really want our Nation to suceed,Even the so called '' Rule of Law Crooners '' cant stop This Emerging Giant from Breaking The resistance point.

Kudos to Our Young Engineers,'' Ajourney of a thousand miles starts with a mere single step '' !
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by courage89(m): 3:59am On Nov 17, 2008
@ Tpia,

Launching rocket is not a big deal, but how many rockets have we as a country launched in past ~ 50 years of our independence? The earlier the better we recognize and motivate this team to improve on their research the better.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by tpia: 4:13am On Nov 17, 2008
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Mustay(m): 7:55am On Nov 17, 2008
Is LASU near a lagoon or isn't it UNILAG that's near the lagoon?

Or the EPE campus?
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by lucabrasi(m): 12:41pm On Nov 17, 2008
@courage89
thank you very much for these comments and GOD BLESS YOU, maybe we ll rather have the students send a man to the moon before we acknowledge what they r doing, in a country where there are absolutely zero student welfare,where government help isnt forthcoming for students,nothing in their labs because the funds have been diverted yet they come up with something that awesome and we r here saying "its no big deal"if they r not applauded and encouraged,what exactly will give them the motivation to continue, even the likes of a.ainstein and co all started from somewhere, im sure if they were nigerians some will have said "whats the big deal"wabout their first inventions worth hundreds of millions in different museums now
@bawomolo
same way the northern ppl who made an helicopter went unnoticed,and other inventions by nigerians that couldnt take off due to lack of funds and publicity

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nobody Will Beg Igbos To Take Presidency In 2023 – Tony Momoh / NBA Sues Buhari Over IGP Adamu Tenure Extension / Yahaya Bello Dances With Children During Kogi Christmas Party (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.