Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,674 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:14 PM

The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment (1285 Views)

12 Signs You Have Commitment Phobia And How To Fix it / Love Vs Attraction & Infatuation. / Why Am I Still Scared Of Commitment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Gorgeous58(f): 12:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
I don't believe in The Power of Love, I believe in The Power of commitment. I don't believe that Love moves mountains, I believe that mountains are moved by sheer commitment. The truth is, it is easy to love something but uncommitted to it, and in the end, lose it. But you can commit to what you don't love and never lose it, and often, end up loving it.

Practical example:

You do 36 courses in order for you to obtain a degree. You might find yourself loving only 10 of those courses, but your commitment to be a graduate is what will get you through the 26 that you don't love. And you find that after graduating, when you join the workforce, you actually love being a Geologist, working in some mine, when in varsity, you only loved 10 out of 36 courses you were doing to obtain your BSc qualification.

Equally, you can love someone very much, they may mean the world to you. But if you cannot commit to this person, if you are incapable of sticking to the principle of commitment where they're concerned, you will ultimately lose them, because no one, no matter how tolerant they may be, will accept being one of very many, particularly when there's no mutual agreement to include the many. So with all the love you have for it, you can still lose something, if you lack commitment.

So for me, the idea that Love conquers all, romantic though it may sound, is actually unrealistic. Commitment, not love, is what sustains things. You're more likely to enjoy the benefits of committing to what you initially didn't love, than loving what you initially and still can't commit to, because commitment might lead to love, whereas lack of commitment is guaranteed to result in losing that which you love.

But my man has both! I Love him and am committed to us!

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 24, 2014
I'll modify later
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Tallesty1(m): 1:37pm On Oct 24, 2014
Gorgeous58:
I don't believe in The Power of Love, I believe in The Power of commitment. I don't believe that Love moves mountains, I believe that mountains are moved by sheer commitment. The truth is, it is easy to love something but uncommitted to it, and in the end, lose it. But you can commit to what you don't love and never lose it, and often, end up loving it.

Practical example:

You do 36 courses in order for you to obtain a degree. You might find yourself loving only 10 of those courses, but your commitment to be a graduate is what will get you through the 26 that you don't love. And you find that after graduating, when you join the workforce, you actually love being a Geologist, working in some mine, when in varsity, you only loved 10 out of 36 courses you were doing to obtain your BSc qualification.

Equally, you can love someone very much, they may mean the world to you. But if you cannot commit to this person, if you are incapable of sticking to the principle of commitment where they're concerned, you will ultimately lose them, because no one, no matter how tolerant they may be, will accept being one of very many, particularly when there's no mutual agreement to include the many. So with all the love you have for it, you can still lose something, if you lack commitment.

So for me, the idea that Love conquers all, romantic though it may sound, is actually unrealistic. Commitment, not love, is what sustains things. You're more likely to enjoy the benefits of committing to what you initially didn't love, than loving what you initially and still can't commit to, because commitment might lead to love, whereas lack of commitment is guaranteed to result in losing that which you love.

When you hear a lady commend her man as the emboldened.

Know it that the guy is a gonner
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Rapsainot(m): 1:39pm On Oct 24, 2014
I'm lacking it... I don't just know why, I can't commit myself.
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Rapsainot(m): 1:40pm On Oct 24, 2014
Tallesty1:
When you hear a lady commend her man as the emboldened.

Know it that the guy is a gonner
gunner as in?
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Tallesty1(m): 1:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
Rapsainot:
gunner as in?
As in say she don finish the guy.

I mean when they are not married oo......
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Tallesty1(m): 1:49pm On Oct 24, 2014
Rapsainot:
I'm lacking it... I don't just know why, I can't commit myself.
How did your first relationship end?
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by mesoade(m): 1:55pm On Oct 24, 2014
So apparently jesus didn't love us? . . It was because of his commitment to do the will of his father dat's why he died for us? . .no matter the commitment u hav,u can't die for som1 unless u love dat person so much
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Rapsainot(m): 1:55pm On Oct 24, 2014
Tallesty1:
How did your first relationship end?

Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Tallesty1(m): 2:03pm On Oct 24, 2014
Rapsainot:
I see............

Was there a second and third? if yes............

How did they end?
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Rapsainot(m): 2:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
Tallesty1:
I see............

Was there a second and third? if yes............

How did they end?
yes second.. Committed myself so much , later found out she have a side Guyana she's a pretender .... I was so heart broken then... undecided.... But since then, I don't give a damn, I leave them when I'm done with them.
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Tallesty1(m): 2:15pm On Oct 24, 2014
Rapsainot:
yes second.. Committed myself so much , later found out she have a side Guyana she's a pretender .... I was so heart broken then... undecided.... But since then, I don't give a damn, I leave them when I'm done with them.
You do give a dam bro...

A part of you doesn't support what you are doing.

BTW you are just scared of being used a third time right?

It is not like u don't like to be committed.

What did u learn from two relationship that you did put in your best?
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Rapsainot(m): 2:31pm On Oct 24, 2014
Tallesty1:
You do give a dam bro...

A part of you doesn't support what you are doing.

BTW you are just scared of being used a third time right?

It is not like u don't like to be committed.

What did u learn from two relationship that you did put in your best?
I'm not scared if being used the third time, there's even no opportunity for that....

Your question, my lessons are
1)whenever they are done with you, nothing can bring them back

2) study someone very well before you commit yourself because the more the commitment, the more you're heart broken when the time comes

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Tallesty1(m): 2:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
Rapsainot:
I'm not scared if being used the third time, there's even no opportunity for that....

Your question, my lessons are
1)whenever they are done with you, nothing can bring them back

2) study someone very well before you commit yourself because the more the commitment, the more you're heart broken when the time comes
*sighs*

Thank God............

It is not what I feared............
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Rapsainot(m): 2:38pm On Oct 24, 2014
Tallesty1:
*sighs*

Thank God............

It is not what I feared............
I will be happy if you tell me what you "feared"
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Ploy(m): 3:06pm On Oct 24, 2014
Pls, tell us what you feared. This guy is just writing out of my hands. Guy, you're presenting my views
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Missmossy(f): 3:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
I really don't think you can get committed to someone you don't love.Thats why a solid marriage is based on committment.

4 Likes

Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Gorgeous58(f): 4:28pm On Oct 24, 2014
mesoade:
So apparently jesus didn't love us? . . It was because of his commitment to do the will of his father dat's why he died for us? . .no matter the commitment u hav,u can't die for som1 unless u love dat person so much

From your post, Love is not enough. It's important to have both
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by passionate88: 5:58pm On Oct 24, 2014
angryangry
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by jearile(m): 10:01pm On Oct 28, 2014
Gorgeous58:

Practical example:

Nice post but I think there's a little misconception. The true definition of love is incomplete without commitment. Once commitment is missing, it's termed feelings. Feelings change from day to day, hour to hour, even moment to moment. Feelings cannot be trusted, not cus they change so often, but cus they also lie.
So in nutshell, there's NO LOVE WITHOUT COMMITMENT. Forget about how's it's been interpreted nowadays in movies... U see it's like giving; there's no love without commitment but there can be commitment without love. He/she can be committed for several ulterior motives that aint necessary based on love.
Love may look or sound so simple but it's very deep...
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by Gorgeous58(f): 10:09pm On Oct 28, 2014
jearile:

Nice post but I think there's a little misconception. The true definition of love is incomplete without commitment. Once commitment is missing, it's termed feelings. Feelings change from day to day, hour to hour, even moment to moment. Feelings cannot be trusted, not cus they change so often, but cus they also lie.
So in nutshell, there's NO LOVE WITHOUT COMMITMENT. Forget about how's it's been interpreted nowadays in movies... U see it's like giving; there's no love without commitment but there can be commitment without love. He/she can be committed for several ulterior motives that aint necessary based on love.
Love may look or sound so simple but it's very deep...

Great! Wonderful analysis!
Re: The Power Of Love Vs The Power Of Commitment by jearile(m): 10:29pm On Oct 28, 2014
Gorgeous58:

Great! Wonderful analysis!
Thank you madam!

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help On What Am Passing Through In My Realtionship / What Do You Do When Your Parents Are Madtly In Love With Your Ex Girlfriend?? / Romance In Secondary School.....[ Share Your Experience]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.