Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil (2260 Views)

Mobil-1 5w20 And 5w-30 Oil / Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils / Serious Accident Around Ojodu Berger (just After Mobil Petrol Station) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by hazvat(f): 4:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
hello gurus. pls I have this issue with my car. it was serviced 26 of September with Mobil oil. now 23 of October it started displaying check engine light. and when I checked discovered there was no oil in the engine any longer. the car does not emit any smoke and there's no leakage whatsoever. my friend who knows much about car told me the engine oil j used was bad. pls I need more opinions on this .car is Mazda protégé 2001. 4 cylinder.
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2014
Did you physically measure and pour the oil into the crankcase?

If not then all bets are off.

I have never used any oil in any car that this happened in. For sure not an oil make issue.
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
1. What grade of Mobil oil did you use
2. Prior to that what oil and what grade were you using.
3. Did you happen to gauge the oil after servicing to confirmed the oil level?
4. Did you travel?
5. If there is no Excessive smoking and leakage my brother this is a tough call. We may need to ask Ifa.

4 Likes

Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by uboma(m): 8:23pm On Oct 24, 2014
hazvat:
hello gurus. pls I have this issue with my car. it was serviced 26 of September with Mobil oil. now 23 of October it started displaying check engine light. and when I checked discovered there was no oil in the engine any longer. the car does not emit any smoke and there's no leakage whatsoever. my friend who knows much about car told me the engine oil j used was bad. pls I need more opinions on this .car is Mazda protégé 2001. 4 cylinder.

How did you check for the oil level? Was it via the dip stick? Were u physically present during the oil change? Or u did just drop off your car at your mechanic's workshop and left the scene?

I advise that you carry out a scan on your car to get to the root of your car problem.
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by baaliyah(m): 9:14pm On Oct 24, 2014
Does absence of engine oil in a car trigger check engine light?
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by hazvat(f): 9:15pm On Oct 24, 2014
uboma:

How did you check for the oil level? Was it via the dip stick? Were u physically present during the oil change? Or u did just drop off your car at your mechanic's workshop and left the scene?

I advise that you carry out a scan on your car to get to the root of your car problem.
just drop the key with mechanic and I believed he will do the best being a neighbour. I didn't check the oil after being serviced but I personally bought the oil at Mobil filling station for 3100 naira.. I used gulf oil then and there has never been this case. I travelled to epe from Ikeja just three times and other trips just alausa to home and like that.
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by uboma(m): 9:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
hazvat:
just drop the key with mechanic and I believed he will do the best being a neighbour. I didn't check the oil after being serviced but I personally bought the oil at Mobil filling station for 3100 naira.. I used gulf oil then and there has never been this case. I travelled to epe from Ikeja just three times and other trips just alausa to home and like that.

Your mechanic may have short changed you. I personally prefer to be present during any repairs on my car.

All the same, pls carry out a scan on your car.
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by Piyke: 9:35pm On Oct 24, 2014
[quote author=baaliyah post=27424116]Does absence of engine oil in a car trigger check engine light? [/quote )
Yes
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:58pm On Oct 24, 2014
hazvat:
Possible causes
*Engine is burning oil.
*You have a leak.
*You never had the right amount.

Simple solution, check you car every day for the next 1month, if you notice any shortage, engine is burning oil.

For the possible leak check where u usually park, there should be a significant amount of engine oil on the floor.

Might be a 5liter engine (don't know just guessing since u bought 1 gallon at 3100)

1 Like

Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by hazvat(f): 10:52pm On Oct 24, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Possible causes
*Engine is burning oil.
*You have a leak.
*You never had the right amount.

Simple solution, check you car every day for the next 1month, if you notice any shortage, engine is burning oil.

For the possible leak check where u usually park, there should be a significant amount of engine oil on the floor.

Might be a 5liter engine (don't know just guessing since u bought 1 gallon at 3100)
thanks Sir I will do exactly
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by sooperrescue(m): 2:04am On Oct 25, 2014
Is there sludge in your engine?
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by DrBlack(m): 6:48am On Oct 25, 2014
hazvat:
if there is no oil in your engine, it will knock. when you have low oil the check oil light should illuminate. kindly rephrase your topic as you are de marketing mobil oil.
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by DECOtech(m): 7:22am On Oct 25, 2014
sooperrescue:
Is there sludge in your engine?

Sludge wld not cause the above mentioned problem.
_
Gazzuzz has a good point.
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by ezioyi(m): 12:35pm On Oct 25, 2014
check the oil seals, if non is leaking then your engine is burning fuel.It is either the valve oil seal is bad or the piston and rings are worn out, in this case you may have to resurface the cylinder or install a bigger piston.You can do it yourself. Good luck
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2014
ezioyi:
check the oil seals, if non is leaking then your engine is burning fuel .It is either the valve oil seal is bad or the piston and rings are worn out, in this case you may have to resurface the cylinder or install a bigger piston .You can do it yourself . Good luck

shocked
shocked

I'm seeing wonderful suggestions on cartalk.
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by kenmaro: 12:56pm On Oct 28, 2014
First advice is to top-up the engine oil and observe if there is still a decrease in the oil level. Always check the floor of your park-lot for signs of oil drips on the floor. If there is still a significant decrease in the engine oil level without any leakages seen, then the culprit should be a bad PCV valve that is causing excessive oil consumption. Change the PCV valve and observe the difference. Most times, we ignore this cheap serviceable part (PCV valve) which is required to be changed after some specified intervals which could lead to extensive damages and expensive repairs.
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by hazvat(f): 2:30pm On Oct 28, 2014
kenmaro:

First advice is to top-up the engine oil and observe if there is still a decrease in the oil level. Always check the floor of your park-lot for signs of oil drips on the floor. If there is still a significant decrease in the engine oil level without any leakages seen, then the culprit should be a bad PCV valve that is causing excessive oil consumption. Change the PCV valve and observe the difference. Most times, we ignore this cheap serviceable part (PCV valve) which is required to be changed after some specified intervals which could lead to extensive damages and expensive repairs.
thanks bro. already observing the oil now. still intact. but what is PCV in our local usage?
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by Arteta99(m): 7:36pm On Oct 28, 2014
hazvat:
thanks bro. already observing the oil now. still intact. but what is PCV in our local usage?
Positive crankcase ventilation
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by DrBlack(m): 5:03am On Oct 29, 2014
Arteta99:
Positive crankcase ventilation
but what is PCV in our local
usage?
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by cassytoons: 9:30am On Oct 29, 2014
ooops
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by cassytoons: 9:35am On Oct 29, 2014
out of curiosity, isnt your car supposed to have a Low Oil Level light somewhere in the instrument panel
but i doubt ur issue has anything to do with the type of the engine oil, except u bought it from a road side
Re: Could This Be True Of Mobil Oil by kenmaro: 4:09pm On Oct 29, 2014
hazvat:

I don't know the local name for PCV but once you can locate it in your car then u could test it to see if it's bad. It's mostly mounted close to the intake manifold. It's a cheap part.
How to test it: Air is not supposed to flow through either ways, air goes through one way while the way is obstructed.

(1) (Reply)

Is This The Right Time To Buy A Car Or Wait Till After The Covid 19 Pandemic / Honda CRV Misbehavior When Starting The Engine / Affordable 2003 Toyota Camry Up For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.