Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,520 members, 7,808,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? (32366 Views)

Who Is Nigeria’s Greatest Number 5? / Loic Remy Refused Number-9 Shirt. / Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by hensben(m): 6:25pm On Oct 25, 2014
StarBoard:

help me ask him.
It is only in Nigeria that people will manufacture other reasons besides the obvious facts staring them in the face and start forcing it as opinion.
Yekini has no business with foitwork. His mission is to score goals and he did that fairly efficiently.

Kanu with his leg overs has a glorified u23 competition as his claim to fame. No goals at AFCON after 6 competitions yet he is the best 9 we produced.
most nigerians analyse issues base on sentiments n tribalism were they always want their argument to stands thereby, fooling themselves more like this guy i quoted..this same reason is what is affecting the nation, they discuss national issue base on tribalism n sentiments which leaves the ogas at the top to embezzle more money.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Concept(m): 6:34pm On Oct 25, 2014
YEKING!
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by alphaomega(m): 6:45pm On Oct 25, 2014
Tolexander:
Kanu ke?

Seems you didn't witness the days of Rashidi Yekini!

in d words of Olamide... ''mo score goal, mo ya net...Rashidi, Rashidi Yekini...''
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Lucasbalo(m): 6:57pm On Oct 25, 2014
The great Thomson Usiyen.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 25, 2014
hensben:
most nigerians analyse issues with sentiments n tribalism were they always want their argument to stands thereby, fooling themselves more like this guy i quoted..this same reason is what is affecting the nation, they argue national issue base on tribalism n sentiments which leaves the ogas at the top to embezzle more money.
it is actually a shame.
If there was ever an opinion that was unanimous you would think that Yekini being Nigerias foremost striker would be it.
Yet silly talk like stepovers have found their way into the argument.
what do we gain by going against an established fact?
Is it not clear enough that Kanu cannot even lace Yekini's boots when it comes to the Super Eagles for some low-lifes to even contemplate bringing up any issue to the contrary?

I tire. seriously anybody cslling anybody other than yekini in this matter should have a psychiatric evaluation ASAP
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Amadaz(m): 7:14pm On Oct 25, 2014
I'll give it to Julius Aghawonder.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by munky(m): 7:27pm On Oct 25, 2014
only kids that didn't watch football at all will ask who's the greatest Nigerian number 9. There's no question at all. The is greatest is still Rashidi Yekini. He scored goals for fun. he is Nigeria's greatest striker ever.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by kenex4ever(m): 7:30pm On Oct 25, 2014
dabossman:

Ronaldo mainly scores tap-ins? And Yekini too? Seriously? Please stop telling us stories you heard growing up. We saw these players ball. Don't come here and rewrite history on hearsay. Yekinini celebrates his goals alone? So when a player scores a goal, he is the one who runs to his teammates or the other way round. When Yekini created a goal for Amokachi against Bulgaria, did he wait for Amokachi to come and hug him, or did he not run to the corner flag to celebrate with the Bull where he was busy dancing?

I think a lot of Nigerians think flair is the greatest skill a footballer can have. Sadly flair is not the number one quality you are looking for in a striker. Yekini scored all sorts of goals. You don't do that if you are not smart.
u r right but what I actually mean is when he runs to the opponent's net to celebrate how can his players come inside the net to meet him? And u 4got his psychological problem started in those days(he is always removing himself from other players and that is balotelli's problem today). But on a more serious note, U seem to know him better than me and am talking based on hearsay because I watched him only at d peak of his career.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by hensben(m): 7:32pm On Oct 25, 2014
StarBoard:

it is actually a shame.
If there was ever an opinion that was unanimous you would think that Yekini being Nigerias foremost striker would be it.
Yet silly talk like stepovers have found their way into the argument.
what do we gain by going against an established fact?
Is it not clear enough that Kanu cannot even lace Yekini's boots when it comes to the Super Eagles for some low-lifes to even contemplate bringing up any issue to the contrary?

I tire. seriously anybody cslling anybody other than yekini in this matter should have a psychiatric evaluation ASAP
kanu shone at youth level nigeria not senior team...he is not even in first 4 strikers for super eagle and also kanu was like ST(supporting striker) for super eagles but he can still be called a striker...a great footballer he was though...yekini is nigeria best no9 so far.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by kenex4ever(m): 7:34pm On Oct 25, 2014
StarBoard:

No need for long talk and stories.
False 9 or not Yekini remsins Naija's all-time 9 on the basis of his goal scoring record.
Juliud Aghahowa, Yakubu Aiyegbeni and even Obafemi Martins will be mentioned before Kanu as #9s as far as Naija super eagles is concerned because they simpky scored more goals.

How can you base your opinion on sentiment (e.g. Kanu heart problem) when stats are there to see?
Even before the heart problems Kanu was NEVER a prolific goalscorer for the senior national side or for his clubsides.

Im guessing you didnt see Yekini in his prime.Neither did you see Ronaldo.
He was hardly the tap-in striker. He had a ferrocious right foot shot and was good in the air. Ask anyone who saw Tunisia 94 vs DR Congo fir starters.
You r right

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Feranmicharles(m): 7:39pm On Oct 25, 2014
[quote author=oakinfesola post=27441630][/quote] abi o cheesy
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by daontop: 7:41pm On Oct 25, 2014
kanu no 9? very soon someone will come on this forum to say messi plays 2(right back)... @OP, get ur fact right...
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 25, 2014
OkikiOluwa1:

I wonder why you picked Kanu. Is it cos of his rescue goals?
Last Bullet
To rate Nigeria's greatest striker, one has to look at their number of goals, teamwork & how vital they were to the team.
It's not just about scoring goals, its also about team contribution.
The greatest among them still remains
1. Rasheed Yekini.
2. Julius Aghaowa
3. Obafemi Martins
4. Segun Odegbami
5. Victor Ikpeba
6. Ikechukwu Uche
7. Kanu Nwankwo
8. Yakubu Aiyegbeni
9. Osaze Odemwingie
10. Daniel Amokachi

More to follow.

Good list, but Segun Odegbami was not a 9, he was a winger (7)

Amokachi was not a 9, he was a supporting striker (cool

Kanu was not a 9, he was mainly a supporting striker (cool.

A 9 is a top striker.

When you talk of 9 in Nigeria's NT in the last 2 decades, you talk of:

Rashidi
Martins
Aghahowa
Agali
Yakubu
Ikpeba

(Not in any order)

IK Uche also plays 9, but operates from the wing more.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2014
But strike rate of our strikers is not impressive

Yekini was our best, 37 goals. The next was distant 22 goals, Odegbami.

Guess what? Asamoah Gyan has 45 goals for Ghana already. Eto'o and Drogba scored not less than 55 goals for their national teams each.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by tmodeltoluene(m): 8:30pm On Oct 25, 2014
Veneto81:
Who is Nigeria's greatest Number 9.

I think is Kanu Nwankwo ?

No its etoo
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 25, 2014
dabossman:

What is skill by the way? Is it only flicks, step-overs and dribbling? Yekini was not skillful indeed. You should see his ball control, his movement on and off the ball, his positioning and goal sense. Yekini was dangerous both within and outside the box. Check out his goal against Zaire at Afcon 94, or the byline goal he scored at National Stadium. Not skillful indeed.
Don't mind those indo mie generation. His goals were a delight to watch. That man embarrassed a lot of goal keepers in those days.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by pamcode(m): 8:54pm On Oct 25, 2014
Abbey2sam:
Me.......next question
conspiracy how do u mean
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 25, 2014
hensben:
kanu shone at youth level nigeria not senior team...he is not even in first 4 strikers for super eagle and also kanu was like ST(supporting striker) for super eagles but he can still be called a striker...a great footballer he was though...yekini is nigeria best no9 so far.
word, bro.

No denying Kanu is probably one of Africa's greatest players.
However he was never the go-to option for goals at senior level.

When Ye-king was doing it for the Super Eagles starting from Maroc 88 where he scored a blinder in our first game vs Kenya to Algiers 90 where he scored 4
3 goals in5 games and ended up 2nd top scorer to Senegal 92 where he scored 4 in six games to Tunisia 94 where he scored5 in 6 to be top scorer. Not to mention numerous goals in Nations and World cup qualifiers.

hensben:
word, bro.

No denying Kanu is probably one of Africa's greatest players.
However he was never the go-to option for goals at senior level.

When Ye-king was doing it for the Super Eagles starting from Maroc 88 where he scored a blinder in our first game vs Kenya to Algiers 90 where he scored 4
3 goals in5 games and ended up 2nd top scorer to Senegal 92 where he scored 4 in six games to Tunisia 94 where he scored5 in 6 to be top scorer. Not to mention numerous goals in Nations and World cup qualifiers.

Jarus:
But strike rate of our strikers is not impressive
Yekini was our best, 37 goals. The next was distant 22 goals, Odegbami.
Guess what? Asamoah Gyan has 45 goals for Ghana already. Eto'o and Drogba scored not less than 55 goals for their national teams each.
its actually an indicator of how competitive it is to play for Nigeria at senior level.
Yekini played only 58 times for Nigeria. His strike rate is phenomenal in world football.
I remember Siasia getting rave reviews in Eurooe but could only play 51 times for the senior national team.
Almost nobody had a monopoly of a team shirt for an extended period of time. if Yekini had played twice the number of times he did for the Eagles his tally would have been higher.
Gyan has 86 caps for Ghana over 11 years. compare that with Yekini who played for 14 years for the senior side and earned 58 caps.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by ewosk: 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2014
@op

Product of INDOMIE GENERATION

Rashidi Yekini nor get mate as of now...Tuale to a great baller of Super Eagles...Men who dorn d Colors n played wit passion....Rip Rashidi Nigeria's Goal King....
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by ONYEBALL: 9:56pm On Oct 25, 2014
Na Babatunde raji fashola8-)
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 25, 2014
ewosk:
@op

Product of INDOMIE GENERATION

Rashidi Yekini nor get mate as of now...Tuale to a great baller of Super Eagles...Men who dorn d Colors n played wit passion....Rip Rashidi Nigeria's Goal King....
the OP is a product of the Africa Magic generation.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Malawian(m): 10:00pm On Oct 25, 2014
Amadaz:
I'll give it to Julius Aghawonder.
how did we even forget that guy? there was a time this guy held the nation's hopes. i think it was jealousy that ruined it for aghahowa.

who remembers "na only you sabi score goals?" grin grin grin
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by nigerianvenom(m): 10:26pm On Oct 25, 2014
Tolexander:
Kanu ke?

Seems you didn't witness the days of Rashidi Yekini!
Kanu wasnt even a number 9
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 25, 2014
@Op, Kanu was a midfielder and not a striker. Meanwhile, Rashidi Yekini was the best 9 ever for Nigeria
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by meccuno: 11:01pm On Oct 25, 2014
KANU NWANKWO No be 9 oh! You can't call him a striker per say.....he could be a play maker or a supporting striker.....not a full striker.....the difference between kanu and yekini is that kanu is more of a utility player.....but yekini is an all out striker....he would be played out of position if he is made a winger.......our Best striker even with out the records sef is yekini.....martins would have filled the void but the boy is busy with balotelis sister
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by acenazt: 11:07pm On Oct 25, 2014
Veneto81:
But people say Yekini wasn't skilful at all. so he wasn't a complete striker.

Trying to get a vote to see what Nigerians think from my list below.

http://yashidasports.com/who-is-nigeria-greatest-number-9/

Rashidi yekini was a forward not a striker. a striker should be able to dribble and run. A forward on the other hand is made a for power and shot. to muscle his way into goals.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by andywaves(m): 12:03am On Oct 26, 2014
I think pips should go watch some old matches .saying that yekini was not skillful is not true he was not flamboyant or flashy more straight to the point but once he is on full gallop u stand in his way u r a goner he will dribble you on the run he is not the best dribbler one on one but he's ball control is exceptional he brings down the ball like he has glue on his leg if that is not a skill then what is he shoots the ball with so much power n precission

He has a low goals tally cuz back in the days nigeria didn't play as much friendly games as the do now n we did go to the 96 n 98 nations cup when he was in his prime

I dare say that rashidi yekini was not just the best no 9 he was the greatest player ever for nigeria par contribution to the national team

Why?

Without he's goals we would not have qualified for the world in 94 he was the highest goal scorer for qualification in the world not only africa
He's goal qualified us for nations cup and world cup in 94 In previous editions he goals got us bronze n silver

The first nigerian to score at the world cup benching the likes of a young victor ikpeaba

Even at the time he was in the twilight of he's career after playing in 88 , 90 , 92 nations cup with him started nigeria's dominance of African football
I think they should build a statue of him at the national stadium till date I dont think anyone has done so great for SE if you talk about altanta it was more of a team effort yekini practically carried the team on his shoulders n he delivered everytime

Kanu n jj r cool but what we really loke is their flamboyance and playing to the gallery' sells tickets everytime' but actual contribution to the tSE them no reach yekini at all cuz if u dribble all 11 players but cant put the balll at the back of d net ......
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by donbenie(m): 12:17am On Oct 26, 2014
Veneto81:
But people say Yekini wasn't skilful at all. so he wasn't a complete striker.

Trying to get a vote to see what Nigerians think from my list below.

http://yashidasports.com/who-is-nigeria-greatest-number-9/

And what does being skillful have to do with being the best number 9,your job is to bang in the goals and nobody did it better than The Goalsfather..Yeking..
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by donbenie(m): 12:32am On Oct 26, 2014
All this thread has shown is that indeed the labour's of our heroes past are very easily forgotten by a generation too young to have witnessed them..as somebody old enough to have watched Yekini in his heydays and to have witnessed Kanu play for Nigeria from the U17 through the Olympics and senior national team,if we're talking about the greatest all round footballer in Nigeria's history then Kanu is arguably the best..but it's an insult to the memory of Rashidi Yekini's goalscoring prowress in the green of Nigeria to compare him to Kanu as Nigeria's greatest no 9..
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by easyelliot(m): 1:29am On Oct 26, 2014
Yekini
If only he played more frequently early in his national team career 84 to 87 and during italia 90 qualifications .....imagine what his goal rate would have been. Of course Keshi and co sabotaged yekini at USA 94 and between 94 and 98 he was used sparingly.

By my math that is 30 games he didnt play ; then factoring that he scored on more than half his games he would have had an 19 goals.

58 caps plus 30 =88 caps
37 goals plus 19 = 56 goals

Yekini 4 life
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Hardtalk: 5:33am On Oct 26, 2014
[quote authort=easyelliot post=27457125]Yekini
If only he played more frequently early in his national team career 84 to 87 and during italia 90 qualifications .....imagine what his goal rate would have been. Of course Keshi and co sabotaged yekini at USA 94 and between 94 and 98 he was used sparingly.

By my math that is 30 games he didnt play ; then factoring that he scored on more than half his games he would have had an 19 goals.

58 caps plus 30 =88 caps
37 goals plus 19 = 56 goals

Yekini 4 life
[/quote]

I will not blame anyone who says, Kanu is Nigeria's best number 9. The reason is simple. Such a person will be btw the ages of 19 and 25. Or must have been born from 1990 upward. Again, becos many of our youths are fond of cutting corners (eg like JAMB and post-JAMB exams), they will never read to know true facts and compare results, or what they have read.

I wished they grew up to see Rashidi's statue at the national stadium in Lagos. This argument would have been totally unnecessary. That I want NFF and Nigerian govt to do, for this unrecognised legend.

Straight to the point. Abedi Pele is regarded as the greatest player ever in the history of Ghanaian football, yet, how many goals and trophies did he win for Ghana?

George Opon Weah, till date, (for me), is the greatest player from the soil of Africa (becos he won Euro and World footballer of the year), yet, how many goals did he score in the world cup?

You may still not want to use that as a basis. If Kanu is regarded as Nigerian best 9, please, how many goals does he have in the nations cup? Besides, in all the qualifiers for nations cup and by extension, world cup, how many goals has his number 9 shirt, scored for Nigeria? How many impossible stunts has he performed that ensured Nigerians victory in crucial events (out Japan Korea 1993 and Atlanta 1996)?

As for Rashidi Yekini, the list for his achievements is endless. This is a man who singlehandedly turned national stadium in Lagos, to a slaughter slab. No nation came there, and never left with a bitter experience. To list a few (tho I am not good in remembering years)...
1. Rashidi Yekini's exploit as in Moroc '88 is still fresh in our memories.
2. Algiers '90, he single handled took Nigeria to the finals (even with homebased squad)
3. As bad as Senegal '92 team was, Rashidi still stood out (not minding the blunders from Alloy Agu).
4. Tunisia 94, we all know how how became a household name, becos of his epxloit. We won. No one will easily forget his ballistic missile in Congo, that secured that all important victory against congo in Point-Noire.
5. Btw 1993 and 1994, no one will foget all his goals that led to Nigeria's qualification in nations cup and her first world cup. Is it the impossible goal (from impossible angle) against Algeria in Lagos)? Is it how he scored a beautiful goal against Ivory Coast in Abidjan (tho we lost). Is it the total annihilation of Burkina Faso, here in Lagos.

What took CAF and FIFA to moan a player, means, he did the extra-ordinary. Note, Yekini has always celebrated his goals, alone. In fact, he celebrated his goals more with security officials, than his team mates.

In summary, who ever chooses Kanu before Yekini, must have been born from 1990 upward. So, I forgive such a person. YEKINI...is the greatest KING of GOALS in NIGERIA.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Cameroon: Player Rating / Anthony Joshua Pictured With John Terry In Dubai / Manchester United Confirm Ander Herrera Exit, Fans React (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.