Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

Igbos With Benin Ancestry - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos With Benin Ancestry (2436 Views)

Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? / . / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos With Benin Ancestry by Nobody: 11:14am On Oct 25, 2014
Yea, I know that Most Igbos from Rivers and Deltas claim to have Benin Ancestry.

But today, I just read that the people of Enugu Ezike in Enugu State are descendants of a Benin prince Ejige Oba.

How true?

Because if this is true, then Enugu Ezike people are Bini people not Igbos.
Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by WilyWily: 11:18am On Oct 25, 2014
[s]
Alexkene:
Yea, I know that Most Igbos from Rivers and Deltas claim to have Benin Ancestry.

But today, I just read that the people of Enugu Ezike in Enugu State are descendants of a Benin prince Ejige Oba.

How true?

[/s]
Dustbin

3 Likes

Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by Spicylate(f): 11:59am On Oct 25, 2014
WilyWily:
[s][/s]
Dustbin
im sorry but i just couldnt stop laughing at your creativity. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by macof(m): 7:44pm On Oct 25, 2014
It's known that Benin empire ransacked most parts of Igboland but Igbos have been around for centuries, the Benin influence is like British influence on Nigerians cause of colonization
Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 25, 2014
macof:
It's known that Benin empire ransacked most parts of Igboland but Igbos have been around for centuries, the Benin influence is like British influence on Nigerians cause of colonization

"Most parts" is definitely an overstatement.

Meanwhile, history fabricators have been at work. The earliest recorded traditions of Enugu-Ezike people say nothing about the Bini (though the Igala are mentioned, as well as the Nri in some accounts.) This whole Benin thing appeared fairly recently, and is clearly the work of revisionists.

Someone noticed that the eponymous ancestor of the Enugu-Ezike people was called Ezike Oba (sometimes also rendered as Ejige Oba) and leapt to the conclusion that the 'Oba' in the name indicates Bini ancestry. Needless to say there are no grounds at all for reaching that kind of conclusion.

1 Like

Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by macof(m): 9:10pm On Oct 25, 2014
Radoillo:

Meanwhile, history fabricators have been at work. The earliest recorded traditions of Enugu-Ezike people say nothing about the Bini (though the Igala are mentioned, as well as the Nri in some accounts.) This whole Benin thing appeared fairly recently, and is clearly the work of revisionists.

Someone noticed that the eponymous ancestor of the Enugu-Ezike people was called Ezike Oba (sometimes also rendered as Ejige Oba) and leapt to the conclusion that the 'Oba' in the name indicates Bini ancestry. Needless to say there are no grounds at all for reaching that kind of conclusion.

Oh! I see. I always thought Benin empire did a good job on igboland

Anyway I understand this. African history has been so distorted recently...we have to be careful with the kind of things thrown to us as history

1 Like

Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by bigfrancis21: 11:39pm On Oct 25, 2014
Radoillo:

Oral traditions of my village even has it that Enugu Ezike people are Nri(Nshi) descended. My father even told me this himself.

1 Like

Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by christopher123(m): 7:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
Alexkene:

How true?

Madness

I keep asking which Benin are these ones claiming
Is it the same Benin that their king was exiled by British
Is it the same Benin that Biafra army chased away their king in less than 48 hours

Which Benin

1 Like

Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by modhream: 8:39pm On Oct 26, 2014
Radoillo:

Following their twisted logic,my grandmother was Benin royalty too.She was named Obajiaku afterall.
Nonsense n ingredients.
Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by macof(m): 3:48pm On Oct 27, 2014
modhream:

Following their twisted logic,my grandmother was Benin royalty too.She was named Obajiaku afterall.
Nonsense n ingredients.

but wait a minute! Does Oba mean anything in Igbo? One would think names like "Obajiaku" was inspired by Bini
Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 27, 2014
macof:

but wait a minute! Does Oba mean anything in Igbo? One would think names like "Obajiaku" was inspired by Bini

Yes 'oba' means a number of things in Igbo. 'Oba' means 'barn'. There could be other possible meanings in other contexts. Looking at the name Obajiaku, the first translation that comes to my mind is 'Wealth is in the Barn' (i.e, how big or how stocked your barn is is a measure of how wealthy you are.) But maybe it could mean something else.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos With Benin Ancestry by modhream: 9:50pm On Oct 27, 2014
Radoillo:

Yes 'oba' means a number of things in Igbo. 'Oba' means 'barn'. There could be other possible meanings in other contexts. Looking at the name Obajiaku, the first translation that comes to my mind is 'Wealth is in the Barn' (i.e, how big or how stocked your barn is is a measure of how wealthy you are.) But maybe it could mean something else.
That's the literal meaning of the name.A more deeper meaning is that wealth lies in what one has worked n laid up for oneself.No other meaning from that.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

5 Reasons An American Loves Nigeria. / Black American Freemasons Teach That The Slave Trade Never Happened / When Was The Last Time/year You Played A Banger/knockout During The Christmas Pe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.