Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,170 members, 7,780,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:43 AM

Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. (12556 Views)

Which Car Would You Suggest I Use For Transportation / Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? / Toyota Camry Vs Toyota Avalon: Your Preference And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by eaglewingz(m): 12:40pm On Oct 25, 2014
Goodday all,
Please I need you all to give me candid advice. I just finished my youth service and I want to go into transportation business and I just registered my company as a limited liability ccompany. I'm currently contemplating whether to start by using toyota sienna 1999 model which comes with automatic transmission and a V6 engine or Mazda mpv 2000 model with manual transmission and a 4plug engine.
I intend plying Asaba to Warri route for a start.
I actually want a bit more class for my passengers so I'm ruling out other space buses like the volkswagen Sharon.
Kindly advice whether to start with the toyota sienna or the mazda with fuel efficiency, cost of maintenance, class, reliability and other factors into consideration.
I'll appreciate any advice and also how you think I can make the business a bigger success.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by ping2ping: 12:58pm On Oct 25, 2014
@OP, Mazda MPV 2000 is uses V6 engine. You may go with Sienna. The passengers will have to pay higher because of low fuel efficiency of sienna.

Sienna is more durable and reliable. Wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by eaglewingz(m): 1:30pm On Oct 25, 2014
ping2ping:
@OP, Mazda MPV 2000 is uses V6 engine. You may go with Sienna. The passengers will have to pay higher because of low fuel efficiency of sienna.

Hello ping2ping, I have seen a mazda 2000 with 4plug engine and manual transmission. A mechanic told me that auto tranny is not good transportation though I don't know how true.

Tnks for ur info bro. Do u still drive ur mazda mpv?

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by DECOtech(m): 7:24pm On Oct 25, 2014
@ Eaglewingz, you and I share the same plans. But for "touch of class" sake, I intend using the 2004 Nissan Quest (full option). I was torn inbtw the quest n sienna being that the sienna is preferred by most transport companies due to common belief that Toyota is the most reliable vehicle on Nigerian roads but then, I believe every vehicle is as good as its owner.
_
The secret behind vehicle reliability is to have a good maintenance habit, using manufacturer specified fluids and parts as at when due.
_
So, be it Toyota, Nissan or Mazda, without proper maintenance habits you wld have an unreliable vehicle.
_
Wishing you well my brother. God's speed!

2 Likes

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by eaglewingz(m): 7:29pm On Oct 25, 2014
@ DECOtech
Thanks bro.

Still need more advice fellas.
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 26, 2014
DECOtech:
@ Eaglewingz, you and I share the same plans. But for "touch of class" sake, I intend using the 2004 Nissan Quest (full option). I was torn inbtw the quest n sienna being that the sienna is preferred by most transport companies due to common belief that Toyota is the most reliable vehicle on Nigerian roads but then, I believe every vehicle is as good as its owner.
_
The secret behind vehicle reliability is to have a good maintenance habit, using manufacturer specified fluids and parts as at when due.
_
So, be it Toyota, Nissan or Mazda, without proper maintenance habits you wld have an unreliable vehicle.
_
Wishing you well my brother. God's speed!

That 2005 Nissan quest is one vehicle that was well planned and designed. Too much effizy dey the motor. That VQ35DE na crazy engine. Its a speed demon, that car.

2 Likes

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by eaglewingz(m): 7:33am On Oct 26, 2014
This Nissan quest 2005, I hardly see it been used for transportation purpose. Apart from the touch of class how about the maintenance cost (talking about cost and availability of parts), fuel efficiency, reliability and the rest? What is the price range for this vehicle?

I'm opened to more suggesstions.
Thanks.
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 26, 2014
eaglewingz:
This Nissan quest 2005, I hardly see it been used for transportation purpose. Apart from the touch of class how about the maintenance cos, fuel efficiency, reliability and the rest? What is the price range for this vehicle?

I'm opened to more suggesstions.
Thanks.

VQ35DE is a very good engine, trust me, it has good transmission 2004 used 4speed auto, in 2005 some trim level adopted the 5speed auto. Maintenance is subjective but basic oil changes are recommended, strictly adhere to manufacturers recommendation. It is reliable. Just that its quite lower to the ground than Sienna Toyota. Nigerians follow band wagon hence you see toyota and VW sharan more in transport biz.
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by DECOtech(m): 8:16am On Oct 26, 2014
lomomike:

That 2005 Nissan quest is one vehicle that was well planned and designed. Too much effizy dey the motor. That VQ35DE na crazy engine. Its a speed demon, that car.

Yeah, so I read oh and that's what fuelled my choice.
_
Though I understand the engine's internals tend to break after making 400HP. But then, I asked myself "why would one want to push a vehicle to 400HP on a Nigerian road? When I'm more than satisfied at 220HP"
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 26, 2014
DECOtech:

Yeah, so I read oh and that's what fuelled my choice.
_
Though I understand the engine's internals tend to break after making 400HP. But then, I asked myself "why would one want to push a vehicle to 400HP on a Nigerian road? When I'm more than satisfied at 220HP"

You under-rated the engine. Its 240bhp. 260ib-ft. Its very good for that car.

I don't think so, many skylines, infiniti sports sedans and coupes and 350z uses that engine and I've read people tune their engines to go pass that 400bhp.

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by DECOtech(m): 8:41am On Oct 26, 2014
lomomike:

You under-rated the engine. Its 240bhp. 260ib-ft. Its very good for that car.

I don't think so, many skylines, infiniti sports sedans and coupes and 350z uses that engine and I've read people tune their engines to go pass that 400bhp.

Not at all bro, I did not under rate it. I'm just saying I would have been ok with it even if it had only 220HP to offer.
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by chucky234(m): 10:23am On Oct 26, 2014
ping2ping:

Hahaha dude Siena is fitted with a 3.0L V6 engine.

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by eaglewingz(m): 7:54pm On Oct 26, 2014
@Lomomike,
Please gimme more info on this vehicle compared to the sienna based on rugidity, fuel efficiency, availability and cost of fuel and cost of the car as tokumbo.

@chucky234,
Please wat do you imply when u say that the sienna is fitted with a 3.0L V6 engine?

But why is nobody talking about the mazda mpv with 4plug engine and manual transmission or should I run from it?
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by chucky234(m): 8:11pm On Oct 26, 2014
eaglewingz:
@Lomomike,
Please gimme more info on this vehicle compared to the sienna based on rugidity, fuel efficiency, availability and cost of fuel and cost of the car as tokumbo.

@chucky234,
Please wat do you imply when u say that the sienna is fitted with a 3.0L V6 engine?

But why is nobody talking about the mazda mpv with 4plug engine and manual transmission or should I run from it?
Mazda MPV is an amazing mini van and would offer better fuel economy than the Siena, parts are readily available and maintenance is cheap.
Get any of 2002 - 2005 models with 2.3 I4 engine, the MPV is highly reliable.

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:19pm On Oct 26, 2014
If you asked about the v6 engines in Mazda MPV, I can comment.

I know we had I4's in the Japanese versions, but I am not familiar with them. If people complained that the 2.5 v6 in the 1999-2001 versions were underpowered, resulting in the release of the 3.0 v6 in the 2002 - 2006, I wonder what would be said of the 2.4 I4s in the 2002 - 2005 as regards power.

If you want to use it for transport, you will need to replace the rear coil springs, all the Toyota Siennas used for transport replace the rear coil springs with something capable of carrying more weight than stock and that ensure the vehicle does not bottom out when navigating poor roads with full load

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by eaglewingz(m): 9:34pm On Oct 26, 2014
IdaraCHODB:

I know we had I4's in the Japanese versions, but I am not familiar with them. If people complained that the 2.5 v6 in the 1999-2001 versions were underpowered, resulting in the release of the 3.0 v6 in the 2002 - 2006, I wonder what would be said of the 2.4 I4s in the 2002 - 2005 as regards power.

If you want to use it for transport, you will need to replace the rear coil springs, all the Toyota Siennas used for transport replace the rear coil springs with something capable of carrying more weight than stock and that ensure the vehicle does not bottom out when navigating poor roads with full load

Tnks for ur input. But which of them will u advice I use? People are also recommending the nissan quest 2005. What's ur take on that?
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by bravolad(m): 10:11pm On Oct 26, 2014
I often wonder why people recommend cars based on what they would prefer to the poster's reason for a car. He has certain parameters in mind when considering a vehicle to use for transport. Two options that would give him the best of choices.

I think we need to be real and also consider the location of use for these vehicles in consideration. There's a reason transporters use particular brands and models for business; ruggedity, reliability, affordability, availability of parts as well as access to knowledgeable mechanics are accessories to vehicle ownership in Nigeria. He is not looking for a vehicle to compete for the best aesthetic design and build but reliability over long time of use.

Personally, I have no bias over any brand but We need to consider the ability to maintain a car and also find parts and mechanics when buying a car. I have not seen Nissan Quest being used for transport especially, for long haulage. But Toyota Sienna 3.0l engine offers him the best of choices in this part of the world considering all parameters. The 4 cylinder MPV would also offer a good bagain but it won't offer good performance under load as the Sienna would.

I am not sure that the 6 cylinder MPV is as rugged and reliable as the Sienna. Therefore, I think, considering all odds, the ops should go for the Sienna which offers him a relative peace of mind with respect to all parameters being considered.

2 Likes

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by femmy2010(m): 10:15pm On Oct 26, 2014
Go for the Sienna

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by chucky234(m): 10:54pm On Oct 26, 2014
IdaraCHODB:

2002 - 2005 MPV is fitted with 2.3L I4 and it is in no way underpowered.
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by IdaraCHODB(m): 4:57am On Oct 27, 2014
chucky234:
2002 - 2005 MPV is fitted with 2.3L I4 and it is in no way underpowered.

Good to know, haven't driven it. My training tells me to err on the side of caution by not making a definitive statement on something I haven't exhaustively studied, hence I merely made a comparison not a definitive statement of fact
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by IdaraCHODB(m): 5:12am On Oct 27, 2014
eaglewingz:

Tnks for ur input. But which of them will u advice I use? People are also recommending the nissan quest 2005. What's ur take on that?

Come to think of it, which year Sienna are you considering? If you tell me the year, I will be able to give you more precise analysis of that year versus a similar year MPV. I am familiar with Toyota Siennas (in V6 guise) and Mazda MPVs (in V6 guise) and not so familiar with Nissans not to talk of Nissan Quest, which is why I am extremely hesitant to speak on the subject.

People said all sorts of things when I got an MPV. Well, I'll tell you one thing. I tend to use it to travel because it is not on the watchlist for car snatchers.

Mazda MPV is extensively used for transportation in Ibadan I gather, but elsewhere in Nigeria, Toyota Sienna and Volkswagen Sharan win.

Toyota Sienna is used for transport not so much because the vehicle is the best 6 to 7 to 8 people carrier that was ever made, but speaking as someone who has interacted heavily with all sorts of transporters ( big time and small time), customers on certain long distance routes and in certain cities ( Abuja/Port Harcourt and to a lesser extent Lagos) will not join such a vehicle for the journey unless it was a Sienna. Based on this, it would be good to find out if the passengers you intend to carry will want to join your vehicle if it is not a Sienna.

It is possible that the Nissan Quest 2005 is not such a bad vehicle but I would suggest you sign up at nissan quest forums and lurk around to see if you can gain some intel on the vehicle.

Relatively speaking the parts of the Sienna are costly because it is a vehicle in demand compared to the parts of the MPV.

I will not decide for you, I will lay the facts for you as dispassionately as possible and will let you decide based on the parameters available to you.

Let me not go into more specifics until you provide the year of the Sienna you are considering.

4 Likes

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by eaglewingz(m): 6:51am On Oct 27, 2014
IdaraCHODB:

Come to think of it, which year Sienna are you considering? If you tell me the year, I will be able to give you more precise analysis of that year versus a similar year MPV. I am familiar with Toyota Siennas (in V6 guise) and Mazda MPVs (in V6 guise) and not so familiar with Nissans not to talk of Nissan Quest, which is why I am extremely hesitant to speak on the subject.

People said all sorts of things when I got an MPV. Well, I'll tell you one thing. I tend to use it to travel because it is not on the watchlist for car snatchers.

Mazda MPV is extensively used for transportation in Ibadan I gather, but elsewhere in Nigeria, Toyota Sienna and Volkswagen Sharan win.

Toyota Sienna is used for transport not so much because the vehicle is the best 6 to 7 to 8 people carrier that was ever made, but speaking as someone who has interacted heavily with all sorts of transporters ( big time and small time), customers on certain long distance routes and in certain cities ( Abuja/Port Harcourt and to a lesser extent Lagos) will not join such a vehicle for the journey unless it was a Sienna. Based on this, it would be good to find out if the passengers you intend to carry will want to join your vehicle if it is not a Sienna.

It is possible that the Nissan Quest 2005 is not such a bad vehicle but I would suggest you sign up at nissan quest forums and lurk around to see if you can gain some intel on the vehicle.

Relatively speaking the parts of the Sienna are costly because it is a vehicle in demand compared to the parts of the MPV.

I will not decide for you, I will lay the facts for you as dispassionately as possible and will let you decide based on the parameters available to you.

Let me not go into more specifics until you provide the year of the Sienna you are considering.

Thanks so much @ IdaraCHODB
Ur input have been very valuable. I intend starting with the 2000 model of any of the cars due to the limited funds in my hand now but I need to start somewhere and not wait till I get a huge fund and the road I intend plying for a start is Asaba to Warri route.

I also intend selling off the vehicles after a year or thereabout after I have more funds to get the toyota hiace hummer bus or any other reliable hummer bus.

Thanks.
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by nurey(m): 7:04am On Oct 27, 2014
My brother, if the three vehicles were placed side by side to choose from, then I will choose the Nissan quest, cause the interior looks like a cockpit and more beautiful than the sienna or the mazda Mpv but the reliability and ability to take abuse is not as effective as the other competiors.

I personally drive the first generation toyota sienna 1998 to 2003 model year the only part I have changed is none but the alternator has been worked on and I only service as at when due infact I use a 10w40 full systhetic engine oil and since then performance has been top notch.

The major issue with this sienna model are the door handles they get spoilt easily even when you are very very carefull, the horn siezes and the back shock absorbers tend to give way if used roughly but above all the 3.0L V6 engine is a very rugged and fuel efficient engine and the car can hold its own in any ground.

If you want extra luxury sienna, buy the symphony edition which has superior interior and gizmos above the Le and Xle trim.

As for the mpv, it looks a little cramped up to be a mini van to me, but it is common also but I have not seen one used by any transporter. If you are going to be using AC for your customers, I suggest you forget the I4 engine and find a V6 variant of your choice.
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by eaglewingz(m): 9:04am On Oct 27, 2014
Tanks nurey
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by Meringe(m): 2:26pm On Oct 28, 2014
I'm into transportation business. Sienna is good and durable. All you need is a good maintenance culture. I don't know how the road over there is but you have to use spring to bring it up to help you carry passengers without damaging your exhaust pipe. Another issue with Siena is the break, you have to change it to pad. which you change every 2 weeks depending on how distance you cover.
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by ping2ping: 3:13pm On Oct 28, 2014
Sorry @op, I didn't know Mazda MPV do come with four cylinders.

You can also consider the vehicle in the picture.

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by femmy2010(m): 3:23pm On Oct 28, 2014
Since the vehicle is for commercial use then All i can say is to go for the 1998 - 2000 model Toyota siennas.
You cant go wrong with it.
Best of luck
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by eaglewingz(m): 4:53pm On Oct 28, 2014
Words can't express how grateful I am for all your responses.

From your suggestions and other researches I carried out, I think I will go with the toyota sienna 2000 model for a start pending when I have enough funds to get hummer buses.

Thank u all for taking ur time out to comment.
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by Meringe(m): 8:06pm On Oct 28, 2014
eaglewingz:

From your suggestions and other researches I carried out, I think I will go with the toyota sienna 2000 model for a start pending when I have enough funds to get hummer buses.

If you have enough money, go for 2004 sienna. You will not be having to change pad every now and then and your tires will last longer.
Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:07pm On Oct 28, 2014
From my research the best Sienna is the 2006 model crash protection wise in even in the base model
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:09pm On Oct 28, 2014
Meringe:

If you have enough money, go for 2004 sienna. You will not be having to change pad every now and then and your tires will last longer.
Good luck.

I think those of you in the transport business should forget about all the cheap pads imported from china even if they are in toyota packaging and replace with some aftermarket brands that are very qualitative.

I have seen pads that can do 50,000 miles ( 80,467 kilometers) - 100,000 miles (160,934 kilometers) before having to be replaced, but the guys in the market won't order such since it doesn't move as they say
Re: Mazda Mpv Vs Toyota Sienna For Transportation. by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:11pm On Oct 28, 2014
eaglewingz:

Given that you have decided, I won't bother to post the comparison.

Suffice it to say that the market screams Toyota Sienna, so if you go Sienna, you do no wrong, but right.

all the same, While the market screams toyota hummer bus, I think that bus is the most dangerous thing ever created to move human beings, although the market likes it so much http://rightcar.govt.nz/ancap-test-result.html?q=434

(1) (2) (Reply)

Overheating Headache With Honda Accord 1997 Model / Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL! / Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.