Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:45 AM

LIEBHERR 2014 Men´s World Cup,24 Oct 2014 - 26 Oct 2014, Düsseldorf, GER - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / LIEBHERR 2014 Men´s World Cup,24 Oct 2014 - 26 Oct 2014, Düsseldorf, GER (779 Views)

All Sports Headlines Today [mon-13-oct-2014] / Football Betting...100% Sure Match... Saturday 19-oct-2014 / Ghana Vs Egypt Brazil 2014 WCQ Tues. 15th Oct,2014 (2:30pm) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

LIEBHERR 2014 Men´s World Cup,24 Oct 2014 - 26 Oct 2014, Düsseldorf, GER by ogonogo: 6:26pm On Oct 25, 2014

Winner of the ITTF-Africa Cup in late June in Lagos, Quadri Aruna was the player to cause the first upset of note at the Liebherr 2014 Men’s World Cup in Düsseldorf, as matters commenced in the initial group stage of proceedings on the morning of Friday 24th October.

The 26 year old Nigerian, the no.17 seed, overpowered Japan’s Kenta Matsudaira, the no.12 seed, to set the tournament alight.

Long expansive strokes, very much reminiscent of his predecessor Atanda Musa who competed in six World Cup events between 1984 and 1989; Quadri Aruna recorded an impressive five games success (11-3, 7-11, 11-6, 5-11, 11-2, 13-11).

Nothing to Lose
“I had lost against three Japanese players in the past, although they were defenders but when I knew I was going to face Matsudaira, I knew had nothing to lose being a player ranked lower than him”, said Quadri Aruna. “When I started it was a bit difficult but I had to control the game and ensured that I played my best; for me this win is very important as it boosts my morale ahead of the second match against the Russian.”

In his second contest Quadri Aruna meets Alexander Shibaev. However, prior to that contest taking place; Alexander Shibaev must confront Kenta Matsudaira. The future of the 23 year old from Japan is now on the proverbial razor edge.

Players finishing each of the four groups in first and second places advance to the main draw.

Aiming for Revenge
“I am sure the Russian will be aiming for revenge, follow the result at the Czech Open”, added Quadri Aruna. “However, for me, the win against Kenta Matsudaira has put me in a good frame of mind.”

At the GAC Group 2014 ITTF World Tour Czech Open earlier this year in late August, Quadri Aruna beat Alexander Shibaev in the first round of the Men’s Singles event in a tense seven games contest decided by the very narrowest of margins (8-11, 12-10, 11-13, 11-4,

The lowest seeded player in his group and with the stated goal of reaching the quarter- finals being his avowed aim; against all expectations Nigeria’s Quadri Aruna has progressed to the round of the last eight at the Liebherr 2014 Men’s World Cup in Düsseldorf.

Occupying the no.17 seeded position in the draw, he beat Japan’s Kenta Matsudaira, the no.12 seed (11-3, 7-11, 11-6, 5-11, 11-2, 13-11) and Russia’s Alexander Shibaev, the no.14 seed (11-6, 11-7, 11-4, 11-cool on the opening day of play to secure first place in his group.

On the second day, Saturday 25th October, he continued his unprecedented run of form.

Compares with Atanda Musa
He overcame Hong Kong’s Tang Peng, the no.8 seed (7-11, 11-9, 12-10, 11-8, 9-11, 11-3) in his first round encounter.

A quite remarkable performance and excels those of all others from the African continent since the days of his compatriot Atanda Musa. He reached the quarter-finals under a different system of play in 1984 in the Malaysian capital city of Kuala Lumpur.

Vital Time Out Call
"My Time Out at 11-10 in the third game gained me the win; if I had lost that game I would have lost the match”, said Quadri Aruna. “I felt good and played courageously; I was focused and had confidence.”

Undoubtedly if there is a man in form in Düsseldorf it is Quadri Aruna; understandably the coach sitting courtside, Martin Adomeit, was delighted.

“He’s playing well; everything seems to fit, he’s having fun!” said Martin Adomeit.

(1) (Reply)

Some Arsenal Fans Blamed Goal Line Technology For Their Woeful Defeat / Match Fixtures For The Flying Eagles In New Zealand (Nigerian time) / Manchester United Vs Manchester City At 15:05

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.