Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,228 members, 7,780,433 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:12 PM

The Biography Of Preside Barack Obama - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Biography Of Preside Barack Obama (1219 Views)

Barack Obama's Presidency In Fascinating Photos By Pete Souza. / Before And After Picture Of Barack Obama Family. / Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Biography Of Preside Barack Obama by mruwazie(m): 7:21pm On Oct 25, 2014
QUICK FACTS
NAME
Barack Obama
OCCUPATION
Lawyer, U.S. Representative, U.S. President
BIRTH DATE
August 4, 1961 (age 53)
EDUCATION
Harvard Law School, Occidental College,
Columbia University, Punahou Academy
PLACE OF BIRTH
Honolulu, Hawaii
FULL NAME
Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.
ZODIAC SIGN
Leo
Barack Obama is the 44th and current president of the United States, and the first African American to serve as U.S. president. First elected to the presidency in 2008, he won a second term in 2012.
Born in Honolulu, Barack Obama went on to become President of the Harvard Law Review.
In 2008, he was elected President of the United States, becoming the first African-American commander-in-chief.
Synopsis
Born on August 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii, Barack Obama is the 44th and current president of the United States. He was a civil-rights lawyer and teacher before pursuing a political career.
He was elected to the Illinois State Senate in 1996, serving from 1997 to 2004.
He was elected to the U.S. presidency in 2008, and won re-election in 2012 against Republican challenger Mitt Romney.
President Obama continues to enact policy changes in response to the issues of health care and economic crisis.
Early Life
Barack Hussein Obama was born on August 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii. His mother, Ann Dunham, grew up in Wichita, Kansas, where her father worked on oil rigs during the Great Depression. After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Dunham's father, Stanley, enlisted in the service and marched across Europe in Patton's army. Dunham's mother, Madelyn, went to work on a bomber assembly line. After the war, the couple studied on the G.I. Bill, bought a house
through the Federal Housing Program and, after several moves, landed in Hawaii.
Barack Obama's father, Barack Obama Sr., was born of Luo ethnicity in Nyanza Province, Kenya. Obama Sr. grew up herding goats in Africa, eventually earning a scholarship that allowed him to leave Kenya and pursue his dreams of college in Hawaii. While studying at the University of Hawaii in Manoa, Obama Sr. met fellow student Ann Dunham, and they married on February 2, 1961. Barack was born six months later. Obama did not have a relationship with his father as a child. When his son was still an infant, Obama Sr. relocated to Massachusetts to attend Harvard University, pursuing a Ph.D. Barack's parents officially separated several months later and ultimately divorced in March 1964, when their son was 2. In 1965, Obama Sr. returned to Kenya.
In 1965, Dunham married Lolo Soetoro, an East–West Center student from Indonesia. A year later, the family moved to Jakarta, Indonesia, where Barack's half-sister, Maya Soetoro Ng, was born. Several incidents in Indonesia left Dunham afraid for her son's safety and education so, at the age of 10, Barack was sent back to Hawaii to live with his maternal grandparents. His mother and sister later joined them.
Education
While living with his grandparents, Obama enrolled in the esteemed Punahou Academy, excelling in basketball and graduating with academic honors in 1979. As one of only three black students at the school, Obama became conscious of racism and what it meant to be African-American. He later described how he struggled to reconcile social perceptions of his multiracial heritage with his own sense of self: "I began to notice there was nobody like me in the Sears, Roebuck Christmas catalog ... and that Santa was a white man, " he said. " I went to the bathroom and stood in front of the mirror with all my senses and limbs seemingly intact, looking the way I had always looked, and wondered if something was wrong with me." Obama also struggled with the absence of his father, who he saw only once more after his parents divorced, when Obama Sr. visited Hawaii for a short time in 1971. "[My father] had left paradise, and nothing that my mother or grandparents told me could obviate that single, unassailable fact, " he later reflected. " They couldn't describe what it might have been like had he stayed." Ten years later, in 1981, tragedy struck Obama Sr. He was involved in a serious car accident, losing both of his legs as a result. Confined to a wheelchair, he also lost his job. In 1982, Obama Sr. was involved in yet another car accident while traveling in Nairobi. This time, however, the crash was fatal. Obama Sr. died on November 24, 1982, when Barack was 21 years old. "At the time of his death, my father remained a myth to me, " Obama later said, " both more and less than a man." After high school, Obama studied at Occidental College in Los Angeles for two years. He then transferred to Columbia University in New York, graduating in 1983 with a degree in...COMPLETE BIOGRAPHY HERE: http://www.chimauwazie..in/2014/10/barack-obama-biography.html

(1) (Reply)

Caption This Photo Of Obama And Putin In A Mental Deek Measuring Contest / Can Hillary Clinton Still Win? Electoral College To Vote In December / Wikileaks Claims Bombed ISIS Tunnels Were Funded By CIA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.