Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide (45444 Views)

FG To Take Over Expansion Of Lagos- Badagry Express Way / FG To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge – BPE / FG To Purchase New Aircraft At Low Interest Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by ghettodreamz(m): 8:08am On Oct 26, 2014
And this is the outcome of the reshuffled cabinet?

This current FG administration can't just stop exhibiting and demonstrating how clueless it is.

Ban Okada, and expect humongous crime rates, kidnapping, money rituals, daylight armed robbery, political thuggery and lots more.

Is this the BEST we can get my kontiri pipu?

Why implement a policy that would endanger the lives of the masses, render the masses useless for themselves, idle and without means of livelihood, in the same nation where large % can hardly feed well and not so many can happily boast of being capable to afford themselves 3 square meals on daily basis. And some entities are living off the masses and feeding themselves fat with our collective treasury, and yet making stringent and ridiculous policies to make living unbearable for the masses. cry cry cry

And how would banning of Okada enhance safety of the people? Fix the gaddam roads, make our roads motorable and with the implementation of proper road transport & traffic management and safety policies. Better still an introduction of a better transport alternatives that would help ease conveyance of the masses to and fro their various destinations and also enable job creation/employments. Then, we can talk about the banning of the commercial motorcycle operators on our roads.

[size=20pt]Come 2015, please let's join our hands to vote OUT incompetency and show these lots the way to the exit. [/size] lipsrsealed cool cool cool

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by teniola55(m): 8:14am On Oct 26, 2014
[b][/b]yes!
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by JEITO: 8:14am On Oct 26, 2014
As far as I'm concerned, okada is a far more useful means of transport than keke especially when navigating some rugged street corners and appian ways.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Temptee101(m): 8:15am On Oct 26, 2014
eightsin:
This is a joke. They certainly can't. Especially if it includes the villages
The person who first thought and proposed this devilish policy should be arrested asap. I know GEJ wont stoop that low as to align himself with this
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by teniola55(m): 8:15am On Oct 26, 2014
[b][/b]yes![b][/b]yes![b][/b]yes!
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by teeboy2110(m): 8:16am On Oct 26, 2014
Who so ever brought this ban idea is mad up stair of his skull, trouble they spen in naija wit differ fools leaders ideas.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by debo07(m): 8:19am On Oct 26, 2014
And wen dem wan campaign na dis pple dem dey use.this is not the right time to do ban okada becos unemployment is @ a great increase @ d moment and d power sector is just too bad.some of them abandoned their hand work which requires lite on a daily basis to do.and since they are not makin profit cos they pay nepa bill for lite which they don't get and also use d little money they gain to fuel their gens.so many of them turned to okada riders.Govt ought to put so many tins in place e.g uninterupted power supply,good roads and creation of jobs.but since we are under a clueless ruler surrounded by clueless pple I don't expect good tins to come from them.so am not surprised.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 26, 2014
na poor man law dem dey implement quick quick....how about a law to kill all embezzlers? tongue

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by snaketail22(m): 8:19am On Oct 26, 2014
Ojo buruku. Esu gbomimu
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by BetterNigeria: 8:19am On Oct 26, 2014
yehmi01:
Looking at it from an angle its a welcomed development. But to be realistic it is not a wise move to make right now. Where would they all turn to after you take food away

from them. What are the reasonable alternatives that the same Government have put in place before embarking on this.

Let Us not Implement Policies that we know will back fire in another way.

Besides Am sure those ridiculous policemen cant wait to start acting like VAMPIRES now once they see okada.

Also if the governments main point for banning it is because of safety, Then lets be honest Lots of sectors in this country needs to be taken out as well Including this INCOMPETENCE government as well.
U talk well. I like it.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by jahlove4jah: 8:22am On Oct 26, 2014
While I agree that banning Okada is a nice step towards enhancing the safety of commuters, I would suggest that FG should first deliver on road infrastructure especially in the hinterlands. I can't see how this will be achieved if there is no good road network.

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by BetterNigeria: 8:26am On Oct 26, 2014
cramjones:
Come 2015, we will BAN this goverment from the presidency. Click like if you support banning this government in 2015!

-CramJones
hahahah, u talked well, I like it.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Lekeydey(m): 8:28am On Oct 26, 2014
The issue of banning commercial motorcycle riders-okada-is a very controversial one. The truth is that they constitute a nuisanse on our roads,they obey no rules at all,ride one-way, makes u-turns anyhow and all other negatives which every Nigerian knows. But they have helped a lot by providing fast,effective, but dangerous means of transport,they've provided jobs for millions of people,they actually thrive because government have failed in providing the basic mode of transport. For me,there should be a gradual process,let's say 3 years,government should say in 3 years time,we'll phase out okada,within the 1st year,we are going to stop the importation of motorcycles except for private use,all existing okada riders should form a union and the members conduct themselfs in an orderly manner and if they can form a strong, orderly and discipline union with a restricted number,government can allow them to operate at certain area that government feels they are highly needed to support the provision of mass transit. Any okada that connot fall into place,goverment is going to buy off the bike at a good price and destroy such bike. For now that's what i can think of,but just banning them will cause more havoc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Fourwinds: 8:29am On Oct 26, 2014
I will respond. church things
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by lekemon(m): 8:32am On Oct 26, 2014
And they wonder why crime and poverty is rife. Smh.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Temptee101(m): 8:37am On Oct 26, 2014
ecoheight:
This development is good and will enable our youths to think for a more lucrative ventures. There are many businesses to venture into rather than Okada.
God!! sometimes i wonder what manner of people i share same country with. You think those into okada business went into it wholeheartedly? its as a result of poverty and incessant increase in unemployment. If govt should provide jobs and capital today, i bet you okada business wil die a natural death. If GEJ tries it, he should equally bid 2015 farewell
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by deebsman1(m): 8:38am On Oct 26, 2014
Even me sef, I no suport okadas operating on the high-ways but d govt shld allow them work from d nooks & crannies.resultant effect of outright ban will just b too costly for everybody to bear, d riders, d passengers and even d govt. Banning okadas can lead to higher unemployment rate, increased transportation cost by d taxis nd buses operators......just name it
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by dramaine(m): 8:41am On Oct 26, 2014
How do these okada riders now survive? .. sad
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by estellar12(f): 8:41am On Oct 26, 2014
This is just a bad idea. The state government will not provide adequate buffer systems. And what will they okada riders do with their lives? This people will be creating more problems instead of solving them.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by ogawisdom(m): 8:44am On Oct 26, 2014
Its a painful decision dt has to b made and d closest alternative keke is too expensive to acquire. Anyway I dnt tink there is a major town in nigeria dt still uses okada I guess commercial use in rural areas shld b allowed for nw but must b banned in all major towns in nigeria. Ndu bu isi

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by JayJustus(m): 8:49am On Oct 26, 2014
I love this...if this is the only thing Uncle Jona can do before his ass is kicked in 2015 or whenever idgaf...I love it...remember in 2012 how my two lil brothers of 9 and 8 years were rammed by these okada people, one of em hitting his head on the edge of the drainage and they both passed out for two days due to shock if NOT God...better take these niggas off the street and let us have fresh air...there will always be jobs...shey they were ranting when fashola did his do they complain again?? necessity calls for innovation!!!
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by mavinc4u(f): 8:53am On Oct 26, 2014
cramjones:
Come 2015, we will BAN this goverment from the presidency. Click like if you support banning this government in 2015!

-CramJones

did you ban Fashola when he did the same? Hypocrisy of the highest order. get a life. Attack the message and leave the messenger.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by jbest247: 8:59am On Oct 26, 2014
May I ask this question friends; does a man who is hungry think of safety?
They should better think well before initiating policy.
Make dem no bring quarrel here oo
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by JuanDeDios: 9:01am On Oct 26, 2014
Lol. PDP's strategists should be fired. Word on the street is that okadamen in Lagos had vowed to vote out the APC in 2015. Now this. I wonder what Pro01 will say about this.
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Ahmeduana(m): 9:04am On Oct 26, 2014
cramjones:

-CramJones
WISHFUL THINKING! NA YOU WANT AM, BUT YOUR DESTINY REJECT AM!

1 Like

Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by redcliff: 9:06am On Oct 26, 2014
stinggy:
As much as I believe okadas should be banned, my fear is 'We are not there yet'. No alternatives for now. I think there should be reliable loan scheme(at all levels of government) for youths to acquire cheap taxis so as to support livelihood since jobs aren't forthcoming, we can introduce tricycles as they are safer, but more importantly, roads should be fixed.

And this is how I think this will go:

After the ban on Okada riders, a means that gives about 1.2 million people job, this FG will then provide three 48-sitter buses to each state, after this, GEJ will go on air to announce to the world that he has given 2.5 million people job...
And that's what they call 'Fresh Air'

Okada as a means of transport if iam not wrong started in the early 90s. My question to you is this, how were people faring before then? Did they die? No! They still had it done. My only fear is that armed robbery would go back to the days of where thieves just came to your houses to steal tvs, iron and dvd players just to be able to eat. For a population of Nigeria where you have over 200million people and no functioning railway system, then there is something wrong with the government..i tell you.. imagine if Nigeria had a running railway system. You can live in lagos and work in ondo which by an unobstructed railway system would be 1hr..
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by ghost1718(m): 9:08am On Oct 26, 2014
if them try am, thief GO plenty for we country oh FG THE BEST THING IS TO HANDLE THEM BY GIVING THEM LAW AND RULES THY WILL UNDERSTAND THAN THAT
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by lastpage: 9:08am On Oct 26, 2014
stinggy:
As much as I believe okadas should be banned, my fear is 'We are not there yet'. No alternatives for now. I think there should be reliable loan scheme(at all levels of government) for youths to acquire cheap taxis so as to support livelihood since jobs aren't forthcoming, we can introduce tricycles as they are safer, but more importantly, roads should be fixed.

And this is how I think this will go:

After the ban on Okada riders, a means that gives about 1.2 million people job, this FG will then provide three 48-sitter buses to each state, after this, GEJ will go on air to announce to the world that he has given 2.5 million people job...
And that's what they call 'Fresh Air'

When l was growing up, the only Okada l saw was that of "outriders" of the then Governor of Lagos, Mobolaji Johnson!
There was one dare-devil rider called "Lati", we usually taunt him by calling him "Laati elewon" as he rode in a daring fashion to the applause of we youngsters in those day!

I still ask myself: How did we get to this level of Okada everywhere?
In my days, young peeps who cant further their education, learned a trade, from Mechanic, to carpentry, to Electrician, to Bricklayers and only the worst-of-the worse, the 'rejected' became Bus Conductors!

Now, it seems the aim of every youngster is to ride an Okada for a living? angry

Where are the roads the Govt built?
Where is the Mass transit (Fast trains, Light Rail systems, e.t.c) to take over the transit of citizens?
Where is the Electricity to run Small Scale Business tha these youngsters would have ventured into, as was in those far-gone days?
When is this UNENDING SLIDE into Poverty going to be checked?
Are the current set of people (From Clueless GEJ and his band of treasury looters, ...to Religiously fanatical Sharia proponent Buhari and his team of APC rogues like Tinubu) leading this nation the ones we expect would lift this country unto the right path?

Me dont think so!

Nigerians can stop this rot, if they really want to and want it badly enough.
But again, me dont think Nigerians want it badly enough, ...maybe not just yet! wink wink

Lastpage
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 26, 2014
mavinc4u:

did you ban Fashola when he did the same? Hypocrisy of the highest order. get a life. Attack the message and leave the messenger.

Plz don't mind the hypocritical eeidiot.
I'm sure PDP wants to use this to show how hypocritcal the apc is, hence this move. Otherewise that Minister of Transportation should be sacked to show GEJ's love for the masses
Re: FG To Ban Commercial Motorcycles Nationwide by newacca: 9:13am On Oct 26, 2014
The problem is not in banning okada riders, the issue is: what are the measures put in place to support them?
This might add to the big socio-economic problems we are already facing in the nation.
FG should consult stakeholders and economists on the best alternative to empower them or st least make policies that will support them to empower themselves; they should see the policy and measure is working for both parties (FG & stakeholders), before banning okada riding commercial activities.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

25 Abbreviations You Must Know About / Trailer Load Of Jonathan/sambo Rice Involved In Accident / What Is Wrong With This Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.