Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. (6698 Views)

8 Amazing facts about salvation you will not hear in many churches. / Why Do We Have So Many Churches In Nigeria? / The 6th And 7th Books Of Moses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by malvisguy212: 8:36am On Oct 29, 2014
Ukutsgp:
@malvisguy212
but how do u see churches doing the things i listed in my first post?
in this life men will always do things contrary to the will of God, nowadays pastors has there own interpretation of the word of God,they misinterpret the bible just for there own favour,example, you mention tithe, i dont want to say much about tithe because it will cause more agument.why do you pay tithe?to find profits or to help the poor?you pay tithe in other for God to enlarge your business?if you tithe, what come out from your mind judge you. Thank you for your time.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 11:13am On Oct 29, 2014
malvisguy212:
in this life men will always do things contrary to the will of God, nowadays pastors has there own interpretation of the word of God,they misinterpret the bible just for there own favour,example, you mention tithe, i dont want to say much about tithe because it will cause more agument.why do you pay tithe?to find profits or to help the poor?you pay tithe in other for God to enlarge your business?if you tithe, what come out from your mind judge you. Thank you for your time.
many people dnt simply know the reason why they do what they do. They just follow the multitude whenever they are going. Imagine some pastors calling those who christ have bought with his blood robbers because they dnt pay tithe, did they think God is after money as their soul? God prefer obedience even more than sacrifice. We dnt have to offer the sacrifice of fools. The only people christ called robbers are those who are buying and selling in the house of God. Turning the house of God into a business centre. Many pastors have turned the house of God into money making ventures. The soul of men is no longer their top priority again. All they are after is money. Extorting money from the poor who should be help by the church. We must retrace our step back to where we have missed it and follow the right path.

God is nt the respecter of persons. God doesn't look at how famous u are. He will cast u out if you think you are indispensable. On that day many famous pastors in Nigeria and abroad will say lord we did miracles and build mansions for you but God will say to them that he knew them not because they think they can bribe God with their fame and wealth they amass for themselves by milking the poor. Many of them keep laying up their treasure here on earth, buying jets, building schools for business, building hotels, mansions for themselves and their families, building business empires and more. God is not interested in all that as the souls of men. Money is preached more on sundays in many churches than salvation. Those who dnt have to contribute are dispised and relegated to the background. Giving the rich top positions in the church and neglecting the poor. Allow politicians to mount the alter as they like. One thing i would say is that God is watching.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Boomark(m): 11:33am On Oct 29, 2014
olire:
Why do you say the Sabbath is the law of Moses. Could u point out scriptural evidence to support your claim?

Ex 24:12
The LORD said to Moses, "Come up to me on the mountain and stay here, and I will give you the tablets of stone with the law and commandments I have written for their instruction."

Exodus 31:12-18
The Sabbath
12 Then the Lord said to Moses, 13 “Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord , who makes you holy.
14 “‘Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it is to be put to death; those who do any work on that day must be cut off from their people. 15 For six days work is to be done, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, holy to the Lord . Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed. ’”
18 When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

This is what you asked for.

The Sabbath was first given to them in Ex 16:23-27. The Sabbath is a law.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 30, 2014
Ukutsgp:
moses wrote it.
Are you sure
Boomark:

The LORD said to Moses, "Come up to me on the mountain and stay here, and I will give you the tablets of stone with the law and commandments I have written for their instruction."

The Sabbath
12 Then the Lord said to Moses, 13 “Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord , who makes you holy.
14 “‘Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it is to be put to death; those who do any work on that day must be cut off from their people. 15 For six days work is to be done, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, holy to the Lord . Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed. ’”
18 When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

By way of comic releif, I want to thank this Gy for doing my work for me grin
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 30, 2014
Boomark:

The Sabbath

lol, I'm not contending whether its a law or not. My contention is whose law is it, God or Moses. What u have pointed out above, especially the highlighted part shows that it was written by God himself. So then again, is it still Moses' law when God wrote it initially??
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 6:40am On Oct 30, 2014
olire:
lol, I'm not contending whether its a law or not. My contention is whose law is it, God or Moses. What u have pointed out above, especially the highlighted part shows that it was written by God himself. So then again, is it still Moses' law when God wrote it initially??
the first one was broken by moses so God had to speak and moses had to write it down himself. by the way, what do u intend to achieve by asking all these questions?
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Boomark(m): 1:42pm On Oct 30, 2014
olire:

Even those who call it the "law of Moses" knew that Moses made no law. Don't let the title confuse you. No man makes the law on behalf of God. The Pharisees added their own laws then, the same way most churches are adding their own law to the law of Christ today. These are man-made doctrines.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Kingdompartaker: 2:25pm On Oct 30, 2014
Sometimes I wonder, for how long will man continue to use GOD Words against GOD, we claim to be under the Law, the Law we are keeping. may GOD deliver us all
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 3:30pm On Oct 30, 2014
Boomark:

Even those who call it the "law of Moses" knew that Moses made no law. Don't let the title confuse you. No man makes the law on behalf of God. The Pharisees added their own laws then, the same way most churches are adding their own law to the law of Christ today. These are man-made doctrines.
the laws of moses is the law God gave to the children of israel through moses under the old covenant.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Oct 30, 2014
Ukutsgp:
the first one was broken by moses so God had to speak and moses had to write it down himself. by the way, what do u intend to achieve by asking all these questions?
What I want to establish by asking these questions is that it is a misnomer to refer to the ten commandments as the law of Moses. They are the laws of God. The Sabbath most especially. The law of the Sabbath is the first out of the ten commandments. It was given immediately after the creation of the heavens and the earth. It is therefore wrong to refer to the Sabbath as the law of Moses.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 30, 2014
Boomark:

So... U agree with me that it is wrong to refer to the ten commandments as the law of Moses.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 8:29pm On Oct 30, 2014
olire:
What I want to establish by asking these questions is that it is a misnomer to refer to the ten commandments as the law of Moses. They are the laws of God. The Sabbath most especially. The law of the Sabbath is the first out of the ten commandments. It was given immediately after the creation of the heavens and the earth. It is therefore wrong to refer to the Sabbath as the law of Moses.
so we must worship God on the sabbath day? which one then is the law of moses if it is not? are not the other law given by God through moses?
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Boomark(m): 3:02am On Oct 31, 2014
olire:
So... U agree with me that it is wrong to refer to the ten commandments as the law of Moses.

2 Kings 14:6
But the children of the murderers he slew not: according unto that which is written in the book of the law of Moses, wherein the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, nor the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

For the commandment, "Thou shall not kill," killing has it consequences written in the law of Moses. The ten commandment, including the Sabbath is like a summary of the law of Moses.

1 Kings 2:3
And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:

The ten commandments, etc are all in the law of Moses.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 31, 2014
Ukutsgp:
so we must worship God on the sabbath day? which one then is the law of moses if it is not? are not the other law given by God through moses?
The ten commandments stand on a different pedestal compared to the other injunctions. The fact that they are the only ones that God used his own fingers to write shows that they are on a different level.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 31, 2014
Boomark:

2 Kings 14:6
But the children of the murderers he slew not: according unto that which is written in the book of the law of Moses, wherein the LORD commanded
According to your quotation, although it is called the Law of Moses, it is actually the law of God. This is due to the fact that it was what the Lord commanded.
Boomark:

1 Kings 2:3
And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
Here, as u can see, your own quotation refers to the law as God's own. It is named the law of Moses because it was revealed through him. It is God's own Law.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Boomark(m): 11:48am On Nov 01, 2014
olire:
According to your quotation, although it is called the Law of Moses, it is actually the law of God. This is due to the fact that it was what the Lord commanded.
Here, as u can see, your own quotation refers to the law as God's own. It is named the law of Moses because it was revealed through him. It is God's own Law.

So... U agree with me that it is wrong to refer to the ten commandments as the law of Moses?

I hope those bible answered your question? Or you want to go over to who really made the law?
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 01, 2014
olire:
How did the Sabbath become part of the law of Moses
Please ask him! He certainly do not know the difference between 10 Commandments and other laws
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 01, 2014
Ukutsgp:
Jesus had fulfil the law, so u dnt have to continue in it. we are not under the law again.
Keep deceiving yourself.
Jesus came to TEACH US HOW TO KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. The mistake that many Christians make is merging the ceremonial, sacrificial laws in with the ten commandments, thinking that Jesus nailed it all to the cross. But that's not so. The ten commandments and the ceremonial laws are two distinct laws. The one (ten commandments), Jesus came to exalt and teach us how to keep. The other (ceremonial, sacrificial laws) were a "shadow of things to come" and "nailed to the cross". The sacrificial laws pointed to Christ Jesus as our sacrifice. But the ten commandments are God's eternal moral laws that will stand forever!
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
Ukutsgp:
was christians commanded to keep the sabaath in the new testament?
And where in the Bible did you read that Jesus or His disciples broke the Sabbath?
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 5:15pm On Nov 01, 2014
enigmaotr:

And where in the Bible did you read that Jesus or His disciples broke the Sabbath?
Jesus did nt break the sabbath. i did nt say that
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 5:22pm On Nov 01, 2014
enigmaotr:

Keep deceiving yourself.
Jesus came to TEACH US HOW TO KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. The mistake that many Christians make is merging the ceremonial, sacrificial laws in with the ten commandments, thinking that Jesus nailed it all to the cross. But that's not so. The ten commandments and the ceremonial laws are two distinct laws. The one (ten commandments), Jesus came to exalt and teach us how to keep. The other (ceremonial, sacrificial laws) were a "shadow of things to come" and "nailed to the cross". The sacrificial laws pointed to Christ Jesus as our sacrifice. But the ten commandments are God's eternal moral laws that will stand forever!
and u think christians should keep the sabbath? the sabbath law did nt stand now.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 01, 2014
Ukutsgp:
Jesus did nt break the sabbath. i did nt say that
If so, why then did you say we should do away with the law when in fact, Jesus practised it in His days on earth. Even Christianity as we know it now started off as a sect of Judaism. The law of God stands forever more. If He says he honors His Words more than His Name, I wonder why you think He will abolish His own laws.
Which law did Jesus abolish, 10 commandments or ceremonial laws?
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 01, 2014
Ukutsgp:
and u think christians should keep the sabbath? the sabbath law did nt stand now.
It's not standing because the Devil has deceived the world into thinking it doesn't matter. Sabbath worship is the most important law of God. It was instituted from creation to eternity.
Below is a quote from a thread I created today
there are a few differing views and beliefs concerning the sabbath day throughout the mainstream Christian churches. Some believe that the sabbath dayof the 4th commandment has been abolished completely. Some believe that the sabbath day has been changed from the 7th day of the week to the 1st. And others believe that we can keep any day as the sabbath day. But, you guessed it. They are all wrong, because the 7th day sabbath still stands exactly as per the 4th commandment today. Let me share with you an interesting statement made by Christ Jesus Himself:
Matthew 5:17-18 ...'Thinknotthat I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you,Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.'
Now many Christians look at this verse and for some strange reason use it to defend their belief that Jesus "did away" with the ten commandments. And yet that is a clear contradiction to what Jesus actually said above. Look, Jesus said He DIDN'T come to destroy the law, He came to "fulfil". And that word fulfil in the original language actually means "to bring FULL MEANING" to the law. And the next verse is even more clear:
"Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law."
Do you see what Christ Jesus is saying here? It is so clear. One jot or tittle shallNOTpass from the law till the end of this world. What law? Read the rest of Matthew 5 and you will see that Jesus was talking about the ten commandments. Friends, if one jot or tittle has NOT passed from the ten commandments, then the 4th commandment concerning the sabbath day remains EXACTLY as it was, which means the sabbath day is the 7th day of the week (our Saturday), not the 1st (Sunday).
If you study the creation account, you will see that God instituted the seventh day sabbath BEFORE there was any sin in this world. Meaning He meant it to be an eternal weekly day of rest, which the prophecy of Isaiah 66:22-23 confirms. And the seventh day of the week is the ONLY day that God has ever blessed and set apart for holy use.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by dein77(m): 5:37pm On Nov 01, 2014
enigmaotr:

It's not standing because the Devil has deceived the world into thinking it doesn't matter. Sabbath worship is the most important law of God. It was instituted from creation to eternity.
Below is a quote from a thread I created today

No man will go to either hell or Heaven for keeping or not keeping the Sabbath. As a matter of fact, the day we worship God is immaterial, as far as we worship Him in spirit an truth. That's the ONLY accepted condition for true worship.

Apostle Paul clearly handled this matter in Romans 15 and Col 2. I advise we study them with an open mind. Shalom
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 5:42pm On Nov 01, 2014
enigmaotr:

If so, why then did you say we should do away with the law when in fact, Jesus practised it in His days on earth. Even Christianity as we know it now started off as a sect of Judaism. The law of God stands forever more. If He says he honors His Words more than His Name, I wonder why you think He will abolish His own laws.
Which law did Jesus abolish, 10 commandments or ceremonial laws?

The Sabbath or the Lord's Day-Which?

Some religious groups teach that it is
necessary to keep the Sabbath in order to be
saved. They insist that we are still under the
Law. Yet, for reasons not divulged, they
assume the right to remove some of the
restrictions laid down in the Bible with regard
to keeping the Sabbath as a day of rest. So
while they contend that the keeping of the day
is incumbent on the Christian, they change the
nature of it by their own authority. This all
adds to the confusion surrounding this
annoying problem, for which the only
satisfactory solution is found in the Bible.
The first reference to the Sabbath is found in
Genesis 2:3 : "Then God blessed the seventh
day and sanctified it, because in it He rested
from all His work which God had created and
made." The root meaning of the words
"Sabbath" and "rest," as referred to in Genesis,
is "to cease." After having spent six days in
His creative work, God ceased from His labors.
The words "evening" and "morning," however,
are missing in the description of this Sabbath
day. This would indicate that the first Sabbath
was a continuous rest, or a continuous ceasing
from labor, until the time when man fell into
sin. Then God once again began His labors in
creating new creatures in Christ Jesus.
It cannot be overemphasized, however, that
this was God's rest. No obligation on man's
part to keep the Sabbath is even implied in this
passage.

2500 Years of Silence

After this first mention of the Sabbath, there is
silence for 2500 years; not a word is given
concerning it. God instituted the covenant of
the Law 430 years after He had made the
covenant of grace with Abraham.
The first mention of the Sabbath since the time
when God ceased from His labors on the
seventh day is found in Exodus 16:23 : "Then
he said to them, 'This is what the LORD has
said: 'Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy
Sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake
today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up
for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until
morning.''"
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 5:45pm On Nov 01, 2014
Reference is also made to this in Nehemiah:
"You came down also on Mount Sinai, and
spoke with them from heaven, and gave them
just ordinances and true laws, good statutes
and commandments. You made known to them
Your holy Sabbath, and commanded them
precepts, statutes and laws, by the hand of
Moses Your servant" (9:13-14).

In Exodus 20:8-11 the Sabbath law is made a
part of the Ten Commandments: "Remember
the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you
shall labor and do all your work, but the
seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your
God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your
son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant,
nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your
stranger who is within your gates. For in six
days the LORD made the heavens and the
earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and
rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD
blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."

Curiosity Aroused

Why did God not mention the Sabbath during
those 2500 years? The answer is evident when
the purpose for which the Sabbath was given
is realized. Exodus 31:13-17 must be carefully
considered: "Speak also to the children of
Israel, saying: 'Surely My Sabbaths you shall
keep, for it is a sign between Me and you
throughout your generations, that you may
know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.
You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is
holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall
surely be put to death; for whoever does any
work on it, that person shall be cut off from
among his people. Work shall be done for six
days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest,
holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on
the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to
death. Therefore the children of Israel shall
keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath
throughout their generations as a perpetual
covenant. It is a sign between Me and the
children of Israel forever; for in six days the
LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on
the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.'"
Ezekial 20:12 says, "Moreover I also gave them
My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and
Me, that they might know that I am the LORD
who sanctifies them." The Sabbath was
especially instituted as a sign of separation for
Israel. Any person of Israel not keeping the
Sabbath was to be cut off from his people.
Since it was instituted as a special sign for
Israel, it could be enforced only as long as
Israel was in the land of Palestine as a nation
and was on proper terms with God. According
to the foreknowledge of God, the Israelites were
to be scattered soon after the crucifixion of
Christ, and the Book of Galatians teaches that
the Law was given by Moses until Christ died:
"What purpose then does the law serve? It was
added because of transgressions, till the Seed
should come to whom the promise was made;
and it was appointed through angels by the
hand of a mediator" (3:19). Even though Israel
is back in the land now, she has not
recognized her God; consequently, the sign-the
Sabbath-is not yet enforced.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 5:50pm On Nov 01, 2014
Christ and the Sabbath

Did Christ keep the Sabbath? Certainly He did.
Some Scripture passages will show why Jesus
kept the Sabbath on earth.
In the first place, John 1:11 says that "He
came to His own"-that is, the Jews. He came
for His own-the Jews. He was made under the
Law and was part of the nation of Israel. The
Law was not yet set aside. Galatians 4:4 tells
that He came to His own: "But when the
fullness of the time had come, God sent forth
His Son, born of a woman, born under the
law."

Jesus, being a Jew and living in the time when
the Law was still in force, had to keep the Law,
too, including the law of the Sabbath. He did
not come to destroy the Law but to fulfill it:
"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law
or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but
to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven
and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will
by no means pass from the law till all is
fulfilled" ( Matt. 5:17-18 ). As far as any human
being is concerned, Christ is the only One who
ever kept the Law perfectly. This proves His
sinlessness.

The four Gospels, which record the history of
Christ's life on earth, mention the Sabbath at
least 50 times. It was observed by all Jews
because until the crucifixion, the disciples, as
well as Christ, were still under the Law. Not
until He cried, "It is finished" ( John 19:30 ) was
the Law completely fulfilled. But notice-and
this is very important-Christ is not spoken of
once as keeping the Sabbath after the
crucifixion. Instead, He left us the example of
the Lord's Day.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 5:56pm On Nov 01, 2014
@enigmaotr

Paul and the Sabbath

What about Paul? He observed the Sabbath
with the Jews until he turned completely to
reaching the Gentiles. In Acts 18:4-6 Paul
cleared himself of his responsibility toward his
people, the Jews, and turned to the Gentiles:
"And he reasoned in the synagogue every
Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.
When Silas and Timothy had come from
Macedonia, Paul was constrained by the Spirit,
and testified to the Jews that Jesus is the
Christ. But when they opposed him and
blasphemed, he shook his garments and said
to them, 'Your blood be upon your own heads;
I am clean. From now on I will go to the
Gentiles.'"
Before chapter 18 the Sabbath is mentioned
eight times in the Book of the Acts. The reason
for this is that Paul visited the Jew first and, of
course, that was most easily done on the
Sabbath, for the Jews kept the Sabbath. But
when he met with the church, he always did
this on the first day of the week. After Acts 18
the Sabbath is not mentioned once in the
Scriptures, with the exception of Colossians
2:16 : "Therefore let no one judge you in food or
in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon
or sabbaths." Here it is merely mentioned,
showing that it has been abolished in view of
the Dispensation of Grace.

It is also noted that the other apostles
observed the Sabbath together with the Jews,
but they did this only when they went to the
places where the Jews were. After Acts 18 we
do not find another mention of the Sabbath in
all of Scripture, with the one exception
mentioned above. Although the apostles met
with the Jews on the Sabbath day to be as
Paul said, "I have become all things to all men,
that I might by all means save some" ( 1 Cor.
9:22 ), when they met with Christians, or the
church, they met on the first day of the week
( Luke 24:1 ; John 20:19 ; Acts 20:7 ; 1 Cor.
16:2 ; Rev. 1:10 ).

From the above statements it can be clearly
seen that the apostles, including Paul,
understood very well the place and purpose of
the Sabbath. It was a sign for the Jews,
beginning with Moses and ending with the
crucifixion of Christ. It is interesting to note
that once the Jews are regathered and
recognize God as their King, the Sabbath will
be observed again ( Ezek. 36:16-38 ). Isaiah
56:2-3 also speaks of this time: "Blessed is the
man who does this, and the son of man who
lays hold on it; who keeps from defiling the
Sabbath, and keeps his hand from doing any
evil. Do not let the son of the foreigner who
has joined himself to the LORD speak, saying,
'The LORD has utterly separated me from His
people'; nor let the eunuch say, 'Here I am, a
dry tree.'"

Since the members of His Body, the Church,
are considered by Him to be neither Jew nor
Gentile, the Sabbath is not for their
observance. They are new creatures in Christ
Jesus: "For He Himself is our peace, who has
made both one, and has broken down the
middle wall of division between us, having
abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the
law of commandments contained in ordinances,
so as to create in Himself one new man from
the two, thus making peace." ( Eph. 2:14-15 ).
As we have seen, the Sabbath in God's plan
concerns only Israel. Note these truths: (1) the
Sabbath law was given in Exodus 16-2500
years after creation; (2) it was given as a sign
to Israel ( Ex. 31:12-1 ); (3) since Israel is
scattered, the Sabbath is not now observed;
the Law was finished, according to Galatians
3:19 , in Christ; (4) when the Jews are
reestablished as God's earthly nation, the
Sabbath will again be observed. Could there be
a simpler explanation than this?
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 5:59pm On Nov 01, 2014
@enigmaotr

Special Restrictions of the Sabbath Law

There are certain facets of the Sabbath law
that must be considered. First, a man was not
allowed to leave his home. "See! For the LORD
has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives
you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let
every man remain in his place; let no man go
out of his place on the seventh day" ( Ex.
16:29 ).

Second, a man was not even allowed to work
or to build a fire: "Then Moses gathered all the
congregation of the children of Israel together,
and said to them, 'These are the words which
the LORD has commanded you to do: Work
shall be done for six days, but the seventh day
shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest
to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it
shall be put to death. You shall kindle no fire
throughout your habitations on the Sabbath
day" (35:1-3).

"Now while the children of Israel were in the
wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks
on the Sabbath day. And those who found him
gathering sticks brought him to Moses and
Aaron, and to all the congregation. They put
him under guard, because it had not been
explained what should be done to him. Then
the LORD said to Moses, 'The man must
surely be put to death; all the congregation
shall stone him with stones outside the camp.'
So, as the LORD commanded Moses, all the
congregation brought him outside the camp
and stoned him with stones, and he
died" ( Num. 15:32-36 ).

Since God gave the commandment of the
Sabbath to Israel in the land of Palestine,
which has a warm climate, it was very
practical. The law which prohibited building a
fire on the Sabbath would not be practical for
people living in certain climates, because they
could not very easily go without heat in the
winter.
But far more crucial is the fact that those who
attempt to keep God's Sabbath, which was
meant for Israel, immediately place themselves
under the curse of the Law. Galatians 3:10
makes this clear: "For as many as are of the
works of the law are under the curse; for it is
written, 'Cursed is everyone who does not
continue in all things which are written in the
book of the law, to do them.'"
James 2:10 states, "For whoever shall keep the
whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is
guilty of all." If a person fails to keep all of the
Law, he is under that curse. Anyone in this
category would do well to admit his sinfulness
and to come under God's grace, for that is his
only hope.

The keeping of the Law is an impossibility to
man in the flesh; no one can be justified before
God through it. "Is the law then against the
promises of God? Certainly not! For if there
had been a law given which could have given
life, truly righteousness would have been by
the law" ( Gal. 3:21 ). Only God's grace can
save us ( Eph. 2:8-9 ). Salvation is not the
reward for a holy life but the gift of God to a
sinner deserving judgment.

The Law was given to show the exceeding
sinfulness of sin ( Rom. 3:20 ; 7:1 ). To confess
that salvation by Law is unattainable by man
humbles him but exalts the holiness of the
Law. On the other hand, to claim salvation by
Law-keeping exalts man but lowers the
righteousness of the Law.

God has provided only one way of salvation:
"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is
no other name under heaven given among men
by which we must be saved" ( Acts 4:12 ).
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:01pm On Nov 01, 2014
Ukutsgp:

Jesus had fulfil the law, so u dnt have to continue in it. we are not under the law again.

The old serpent has not changed it's tactics.

Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 6:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
@ enigmaotr

The Christian's Day of Worship

Is there a day which believers should set aside
to worship the Lord? There is one day-the first
day of the week. That is the day on which
Jesus rose from the dead, and it is also the
day He chose to meet with His disciples after
His resurrection. This was not a Sabbath day,
or a rest day, it was a day of ceaseless
activity. The Lord Jesus was very busy on the
resurrection day. The false conception of so
many is that Sunday is the Christian Sabbath,
and since the Sabbath is a day of rest, the
Sabbath laws are applied to Sunday. This has
resulted in untold harm.

The average Christian, instead of making the
Lord's Day one of service, has made it one of
rest and feasting. That is not the purpose of
the Lord's Day. That is merely a perversion of
the Jewish Sabbath day. Christians need to
wake up and to grasp the meaning of this
resurrection day. Souls need to be rescued
from darkness, and only the gospel of Jesus
Christ can accomplish this. "Therefore, to him
who knows to do good and does not do it, to
him it is sin" ( James 4:17 ).

One might say, "But I don't dare mention that
in my church; it would only stir up a lot of
trouble." That is true. It is hard to stand
against traditions, but I challenge each believer
to yield himself to the Lord in this matter.

Thus, by the example of Christ Himself and
later by the apostles, we see that the first day
of the week, known as the Lord's Day, was
especially set apart as a day of service for God.
Some seem to think that it is worse for one to
sin on Sunday than on any other day of the
week. I believe that this is wrong. The Bible
teaches that it is displeasing to God for one to
yield to the Devil on any day of the week.
Christians must live so that their consciences
will be void of offense before God every day. In
addition, they can make Sunday a day of
special worship and service.
Re: Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. by Ukutsgp(m): 6:05pm On Nov 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The old serpent has not changed it's tactics.
u are that serpent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Revealed: An Enzyme Called 'luciferase' Is What Makes Bill Gates Vaccine To Work / If There Was No Religion / Public Rebuke Of False Prophets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.