Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Share Your First Electric Shock Experience - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Share Your First Electric Shock Experience (1756 Views)

PHOTOS: Lady Gets The Shock Of Her Life After Opening A New Baby Cream / 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. / Husband, Wife In Shock After Giving Birth To Dwarf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 26, 2014
Been thinking about this lately after I had the buzz while messing around with an open socket.
My first electric shock experience wasn't actually me. It happened to my big bro while trying to make a connection behind the T.V set. He got the rude awakening and was flinged from one end of the room to the other. That was a massive one and I felt sorry for him even as a little boy. Not long after was mine.

There I was, little Edison trying to figure out what the electric light bulb was made of. So I picked an old and used one and cracked it open. Fixed up the elements and inserted it back in the socket. Then I forgot the light switch was on and boom! I got the buzz.

That I think was the first time and there were many more to come. Love to read yours.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by boombay(m): 12:11pm On Oct 26, 2014
undecided
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by ameenahz(f): 12:32pm On Oct 26, 2014
This should be fun.

I was heating my bath water in preparation for school. I was really late so I was a bit impatient. At a point when I felt the water must be hot enough, I wanted to confirm so I dipped my finger into the water. Omo, it wasn't funny. I found myself at the kitchen entrance after a scream that that was loud enough to bring my dad out of the bathroom. After explaining what happened, I still chop better slap from my dad for not knowing that water is a conductor of electricity in jss2.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 26, 2014
ameenahz:
This should be fun.
I was heating my bath water in preparation for school. I was really late so I was a bit impatient. At a point when I felt the water must be hot enough, I wanted to confirm so I dipped my finger into the water. Omo, it wasn't funny. I found myself at the kitchen entrance after a scream that that was loud enough to bring my dad out of the bathroom. After explaining what happened, I still chop better slap from my dad for not knowing that water is a conductor of electricity in jss2.
lmao! Your dad is just mean.
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by freshness2020: 12:34pm On Oct 26, 2014
OMG!..
Mine wasn't a joke Oº°˚˚°ºo.
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by ameenahz(f): 12:39pm On Oct 26, 2014
Brandnew2:
lmao! Your dad is just mean.

Not really, but his teaching method helped. The lesson stuck. grin
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 26, 2014
I mistakingly touched my tiger gens spark plug while the engine was on... Only God knew the rest!
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by lonelydora: 4:00am On Oct 27, 2014
Guy, it wasn't funny at all. As a young Edison trying to know what makes the blade of an electric fan turn. After much disconnections and connections I tried to test what I did, BOOM, all I remembered was the whole light in the house tripped and there I was on the floor with every member of the house praying and crying.

My dad left that fan for me to use for plays and bought another one. That is what pushed me to study Electrical Engineering. I must confess, I am doing well.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by johnbuck81(m): 12:07pm On Oct 27, 2014
i think i was like 4,5,6 Or 7 then..on a saturday morning..me n my elder bro were outside playing,suddenly our elder sis screamed from d kitchen n we rushed to check her through d kitchen window n dat was it..when i woke up,i was surrounded by millions of people,Some pressing me,found a spoon inside my mouth.
when i lookEd around my brother n sis were crying seriously,i joined d chorus..mum came n start cryin too.thats when i was told abt d electric shock.
After the incident,some peeps nicknamed me "electric" in dat neighbor hood.
its been over 17 yrs n i still fear electric lyk HELL.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by ojesymsym: 3:32pm On Oct 27, 2014
Mine was when I was about 6 and my cousin about 7. One of us mistakenly touched the socket used for our TV back then and felt the electric shock (not sure who started it). Our conclusion was that the people in the TV set were calling us. So we took turns to touch the socket and felt the shock and then kept smiling that the people in the TV were calling us.

How did the bubble burst? We were having a discussion with a much older family friend and we shared our experience with him how the people in the TV were drawing us to come and join them inside the TV. After some interrogation he explained that it was an electric shock. We did not understand what he was saying neither did we care. In short we were waiting for NEPA to bring light to continue our adventure.

Luckily for us, an aunty over heard our discussion but did not interfere, she however told my parents. Omon see lecture that day. I did not still appreciate the gravity of the risk we took until much later in life. We however inferred from the lecture that what we were doing was bad and should not happen again. However that was not to be. A lot more still happened and still happen but I now knew what it was and why I should be careful.
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by ifyalways(f): 4:56pm On Oct 27, 2014
Nothing shock me like my first heavenly feelings cheesy

Shocking shocked
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by EfemenaXY: 5:34pm On Oct 27, 2014
ifyalways:
Nothing shock me like my first heavenly feelings cheesy

Shocking shocked

Ify! shocked shocked cheesy cheesy
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 28, 2014
@Ifyalways is such a naughty girl.
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by Alexsmith20(m): 12:09pm On Oct 28, 2014
seriously i can't really remember, i have always been the mini-electrician in the house.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 28, 2014
Alexsmith20:
seriously i can't really remember, i have always been the mini-electrician in the house.
Me too but somehow computers took away my interest in mini electronics.
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by Nmeri17: 11:11pm On Jan 06, 2015
I just came back from a party and was feeling a bit high. then my mom falsely accused me of something my older bro did so I retorted at her. as her palm made contact with my face, the shock i felt can only be measured in megawatts embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by dominique(f): 12:18am On Jan 07, 2015
Boiling ring from hell...

Me and my twin were about 7 while big sis was eight. We were home alone with strict instructions not to step out. We decided to use the opportunity to do our usual snooping. We found an old and abandoned boiling ring tucked deep in one of the cabinets. The discovery was quite surprising as my dad is the last person that will use such item- Of course, we had to try it out. We filled a bucket with water and plugged it in. few minutes later, big sis was first to get shocked when she wanted to test if the ring was working by dipping her hand into the water. I wanted to switch off the socket to take out the boiling ring but the megawatts literally flung my hands back. For about a minute, that hand was numb. As if that wasn't bad enough, we discovered that every single electrical appliance was shocking. Sockets, light switch, cooker Fridge, name it! It was like an electrical monster had engulfed the apartment. The water was boiling and evaporating fast, we knew the consequence if the water dried up. Our home could start burning within a few minutes. There were no immediate neighbours around at the time to help us. Eventually, we devised a plan to switch off the power from the main source. Now, this is quite tricky as we lived in a block of sixteen flats. Each flat had it's own power source and meter. the meters were not marked, so we decided to count the meters till we got to 8 (our flat number). We did that and switched off the source, but alas! our power was still on. We counted eight from behind and switched that off also, same result. Then we knew the meters were randomly arranged and we had to switch them off randomly also. We eventually got to ours after about fifth or sixth try. That was when we were able to unplug the boiler. The water level was almost at the bottom.

We restored our power and the few we could remember. Other flatmates had to go and call NEPA on why their homes didn't have light like others. We just looked on innocently as the NEPA guys fixed the light for others. Our parents returned and suspected nothing (they got to hear about a decade later grin). The amount of megawatts wey I chop that day fit power light bulb.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by Nobody: 12:57am On Jan 07, 2015
@dominique....If you see how I'm just laughing at your story ehn! grin
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by dominique(f): 12:35pm On Jan 07, 2015
Brandnew2:
@dominique....If you see how I'm just laughing at your story ehn! grin

It's funny now but it wasn't funny then. You need to see the way we were wailing then. Not because of the possibility of house burning but the flogging we would receive if our folks returned. I don't think I can ever leave my children alone unsupervised at that ages sha.
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by godstreasure23: 11:27pm On Jan 07, 2015
Haaaaa i rem that experience....my mom asked me to check if the beans was done on an electric stove...and me i like beans wey dey neva break wen its soft...so i use that oppourtunity......u wont believe....na so i carry iron spon wan thief the beans.....omo na entrance i meet myself...i just gt up dusted my cloth n walked quietly to tell her say the beans don do......

2 Likes

Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by jmoore(m): 12:18am On Jan 08, 2015
grin grin
So many funny stories here.
@dominique, yours brought out tears from my eyes. grin

@topic, I can't really recall my first experience. Though I got a few mild encounters with eletric shock as "Mr Fix it" of the house.
Re: Share Your First Electric Shock Experience by Nobody: 11:56am On Jan 08, 2015
godstreasure23:
Haaaaa i rem that experience....my mom asked me to check if the beans was done on an electric stove...and me i like beans wey dey neva break wen its soft...so i use that oppourtunity......u wont believe....na so i carry iron spon wan thief the beans.....omo na entrance i meet myself...i just gt up dusted my cloth n walked quietly to tell her say the beans don do......
Lmao! grin
@jmoore first electric shocks are always memorable. Then over time we tend get used to it. I even got a mild shock recently. It's not always a good experience tho'

(1) (Reply)

Getting Divorced In Nigeria / Sold!!!! 2 LG Fridges AC And 3 Tvs For Sale By Relocating Family / Habits Of True Happy People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.