Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? (945 Views)

See what Watching Parents Have Sex, Made This 5 Years Old Calabar Girl Do / Effects Of Domestic Violence On Children / FG Unveils Toll-free Helpline For Violation & Violence On Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by xynerise: 12:46pm On Oct 26, 2014
I see some censored movies tagged "V" and "Parental Guildiance" follows. Now I got a little confused because we watched those kind of movies while growing up and I never acted violent to anybody, well apart from using rubber band as catapult to kill the 'villains" grin. Aside that, we grew up in a disciplined manner. Kids still watch violent movies and even play violent videos games and it still doesn't affect the society. I guess those that are violent today are those who didn't watch TV at all or even play video games.
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by ELLYsian: 12:56pm On Oct 26, 2014
Violent movies and video games do have negative effects on children and teenagers.
Not all kids and teenagers who watch violent movies become violent themselves because it also depends on a child's natural temper if he or she is more or less inclined to aggressiveness. However, violent movies and video games affect every child in one way or another and always negatively.
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by UjSizzle(f): 12:58pm On Oct 26, 2014
I think there are certain things we expose children to that 'may' have adverse effects on them. Sometimes the moral upbringing is sufficient enough to counteract whatever the media has been teaching, and other times it's not. So it's always advisable to be on the safe side.
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by xynerise: 1:06pm On Oct 26, 2014
UjSizzle:
I think there are certain things we expose children to that 'may' have adverse effects on them. Sometimes the moral upbringing is sufficient enough to counteract whatever the media has been teaching, and other times it's not. So it's always advisable to be on the safe side.
Safe side watching the current Nollywood movies where raw skins are exposed on per second billing ?
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by Danhumprey: 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2014
xynerise:

Safe side watching the current Nollywood movies where raw skins are exposed on per second billing ?
Lobatan!!!grin
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by UjSizzle(f): 1:20pm On Oct 26, 2014
xynerise:

Safe side guiding their viewing choices as parents. If keeping them away from nudity is the way for you, then do so. But from experience I know how impossible that is. So teach them as much as they should know by way of moral education, and pray to God thy remember your words when temptation beckons.
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by Danhumprey: 1:21pm On Oct 26, 2014
Not all kids are inclined to be violent. There are kids that have watched all the violent films and played all violent video games that have been produced so far,yet when you examined them,you will be surprised to find little or no violent tendency in them. Parental upbringing and guidance have a huge role to play here. The strict family atmosphere do have a neutralising capability of erasing violent tendencies from kids.
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by ELLYsian: 1:25pm On Oct 26, 2014
Danhumprey:
Not all kids are inclined to be violent. There are kids that have watched all the violent films and played all violent video games that have been produced so far,yet when you examined them,you will be surprised to find little or no violent tendency in them. Parental upbringing and guidance have a huge role to play here. The strict family atmosphere do have a neutralising capability of erasing violent tendencies from kids.

Violent movies and video games can influence kids in different ways. Some will become aggressive, others will become anxious.
Research shows that watching violence changes the brain. There is no need for kids to watch violent movies or to play violent games.
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by acenazt: 1:52pm On Oct 26, 2014
Any kind movie wey pikin watch dey influence him thoughts and actions. na one film wey dem dey fucktoto wey me and some kids watch begin try to do each other ohh. n dat tym sef I jus dey 9. kai I no fit forget d kind flogging my grand papa give me wen dem catch us. and wen me n my small friends watch Chinese film na so so kungfu we dey display.
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by crackhaus: 2:30pm On Oct 26, 2014
I watched a lot of my father's action films on VHS, in fact the first very foreign movies I was exposed to were mostly of the violence/action genre - and then a few from the romance genres (mother preferred this I guess).
The thing is I don't consider myself a violent or a very romantic person if been exposed to such images in my pre-teen years is anything to go by.

All that notwithstanding, I do have a theory:
I think more and more kids these days are becoming very adept at picking things up. I don't want to say they're smarter because I believe a lot of factors work together to result in this trend.
There's a lot more mental & psychological stimulation as well as exposure from/to the things they see around. How it got to this I really can't say, but I do know that it is there.

Then there's also the theory of our society being less conservative now than it was in the distant past.
Just because I saw a lot of violent movies didn't mean I had opportunities to practise any of it, most parents then were the conservative kind - the kind that monitored everything their kids did, made sure their kids went to church and stayed involved, got the best grades, practised good character, and made use of some tough discipline.

Nowadays, young parents are more liberal owing to the fact that this generation of parents (ages 28-40) do not believe in using brute force and harsh methods of discipline on their kids like what most were exposed to themselves - this in turn results in kids having more liberty to practise what they see on TV...they may not do it all at home, but when they do step out of line, you see these parents making use of the soft method approach in discipline with just a slap on the wrist of the child as punishment.

The preventive step then to curb or at least limit exposure is to restrict what these children get to see on TV - the parental control feature common these days due to technological advances therefore come in handy.
Unfortunately, I still get to see some mild form of sexxual and violent content on most materials that have been labelled PG13...makes one wonder if certain things are now to be considered normal.

2 Likes

Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by An0nimus: 4:37pm On Oct 26, 2014
There's something about learning by audio visual means. It registers faster and the info can be more easily recalled when need be.

Kids watching violent videos must be influenced by it. What might differ is the degree they exhibit it probably due to their temperament, immediate environment or how they were brought up. However that knowledge is there and at the appropriate time can be utilized.
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 30, 2014
When such violence is painted in good light, yes.
Re: Does Watching Violence On TV Create A More Violent Child? by radiant3(f): 10:10am On Oct 30, 2014
masonkz:
When such violence is painted in good light, yes.

I don't think so
Violence is violence as far as children are concerned

(1) (Reply)

How To Enjoy Life / Please Dissolve Our One-week Marriage, His Manhood Is Too Big, I Can’t Cope – Wi / Airport Cleaner Who Returned N12M Has Salary Increased To N15,000.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.