Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,682 members, 7,805,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) (4718 Views)

To Fast On The 9th And 10th Of Muharram(23rd And 24th Nov.2012) / 10th Day Of Muharram: The Reason Muslims Fast On This Day Makes Me Curious / Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 3:46pm On Oct 26, 2014
Introduction

Sheik Nasirudeen al-Albaani records a sahih (authentic) hadith (narration) of the holy prophet in his ‘Silsilah Al-hadith Al-Sahiyah’, vol. 2 pg 462 hadith 821:

“Jubril came to me and informed me that my Ummah (nation or community) will kill my son, Hussain. I asked: ‘This Hussain?’ He (Jubril) replied: ‘Yes’ he then brought me some soil (tur’ba) that was red.”
Narrated by Umm al-Fadhal bint al-Harith that she went to the Holy prophet (s) and said: ‘O prophet, I have seen an unclear dream tonight.’ He (s) asked: What is it? She replied: ‘I saw that as if a part of your body was cut off from you and was placed upon my chest.’ He (s) said: ‘You have seen something good. In sha Allah, Fatimah will bear a baby boy and he will be upon your chest.’ So Fatima gave birth to Hussain and he was on my chest as the prophet had notified me. On one day I went to the Holy prophet and put Hussain on his chest then he turned his face to the side and I witnessed his eyes flowing with tears. I asked: “Prophet of Allah (s), may my parents be sacrified for you, what is wrong?” He then mentioned it (the above bolded hadith – “Jubril came to me and informed me...”).”

Similar authentic narrations of the same genre can be found in: “Fadhail Sahaba” by Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, vol.2 pg. 965 Hadith1357; “Musnad Abi Ya’la”, vol. 6 pg.129 Hadith 3402; Imam al-Haythami in his ‘al-Majma zawaid, vol.9 etc

ETYMOLOGY
Linguistically, 10th day of every month could be refer as 'Ashura', a word derived from the Arabic number 'Ashara' - ten (10). However, Muslim tradition and historical happening made the '10th day of Muharram' unique and significant for certain beliefs attached. There are however three debatable opinions among Muslims concerning the day of Ashura and its significance.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 3:55pm On Oct 26, 2014
FIRST OPINION
Some muslim regard the day of Ashura as a day of Fasting enjoyed by the holy prophet (saws). There are various ahadith to back this view but the following two narration summarized the gist of the remaining ahadith :

1. Narrated Ayesha:
'Ashura' was a day on which the tribe of Quraish used to fast in the pre-lslamic period of ignorance (Jahiliyyah) and the messenger of Allah also used to fast on this day. So when he migrated to Madina, he fasted on it and ordered (the Muslims) to fast on it. When the fasting of Ramadan was enjoined, it became optional for the people to fast or not to fast on the day of Ashura.”
Ref: Sahih Muslim, chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura. Book 6 Hadith2499; Book13 Hadith 143

2. Narrated Ibn Abbas:
The holy prophet entered Madina and saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashura. He asked them: "What is the significance of this day on which you fast?" They replied, "This is a good day, the day on which God rescued the children of Israel from their enemy. So, Moses fasted this day." He (saw) then said, "We have more claim over Moses than you." He then fasted on that day and ordered Muslims too.”
Ref: Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 3 Book 31, Hadith 222; Sahih Muslim- chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura, Book 13 Hadith 164, Book 6 Hadith2520

In a similar version:
"Some of the companions exclaimed 'O Messenger of God! It is a day which the Jews and the Christian hold in high esteem. Thereupon the messenger of God said: 'When the next year comes, God willing, we would observe fast on the 9th’. But the messenger of God died before the advent of the year."

Ref: Sahih Muslim, chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura, Book 13 Hadith 172 & 173; Book 6 Hadith 2528 &2529.

CROSS EXAMINATION & SKEPTICISM
1. It is obvious from the first hadith narrated by Aisha that the practice of fasting on Ashura precede Islam; and being a Qurayshite, Muhammad (saws) used to observe and fast on that day even before being ordained as a prophet of God.

The second hadith narrated by Ibn Abbas is in sharp contradiction of the first hadith in the fact that the prophet is completely naive of the fasting on Ashura day alongside its significance. He only needs to rely on the Jewish verdict to fast and make his rulings.

* Even if the practice of Fasting on the Day of Ashura ever exist, the advent of Islam and its practices prevails over such. The first hadith indicated, as Ramadhan was established, fasting of Ashura became of less importance where there is option to abandon.
"It is He who has sent His Apostle with guidance and the Religion of truth, that he may proclaim it over all deen (ways of life, practice, religion)..." ~Sura Saff : 9; Sura Fatih:28

2. In the second hadith, it is not conceivable that ' the messenger of God died before the advent of the (following) year (after migration to Medina) ' thereby could not fast the 9th day (tasua) of Muharram as he had reported to have legislated. Why?

* It is an established fact that the holy prophet died on the 28th Safar, 11th year of Hijrah (i.e10 years after migration to Medina) and never the following year (2nd /3rd H) after migration which the narration portrayed. And worst still, if it is agreed that he died on the 11th year of Hijrah, it is therefore not tenable to say he did not lived to see the 9th day (tasua) of the following year since there would be about 9-10years long between his time of Migration to Medina (1Hijra) when it is alleged that he met the Jews, and his time of death (11th Hijra).
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 3:59pm On Oct 26, 2014
^WHAT THE QUR'AN SAYS
Does it make any sense to assume the holy prophet will ever legislate or recommend a practice based on the purported verdict of the Jew? Allah introduced him (saw) as a teacher who "...instruct them in Scripture and wisdom..." ~Sura Jumu'a : 2; Al-Imran :164

“Never will the Jews and the Christians be satisfied with thee (Muhammad) unless you follow their form of religion. Say (O Muhammad) ‘The guidance of God, that is the (only) Guidance.’ Were you to follow their desires after the knowledge which has reached you, then you will neither find protector or helper against God” ~Sura al-Baqarah: 120

* Prophet's Legislation Is Only Through Inspiration And Revelation:
"(1)By the star when it goes down (2)Your companion (i.e Muhammad) is neither astray nor being mislead (3)Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) desire. (4)It is no less than inspiration sent down to him. (5)He was taught by Almighty in Power" ~Sura Najm

These various examinations make the content (matn) of these hadith (about Ashura fasting) highly suspected and inconsistent with Historical fact, intellectual digestion and Quranic principles which is the only infallible principles other reports should be judged.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 4:07pm On Oct 26, 2014
SECOND OPINION
There are some Muslims who believed the day of Ashura is a day of merriment, feasting where we wine and dine (kayokayo); and a special day of acceptance of prayers. This is backed by some hadith which say that it was on the 10th of Muharram (Ashura) that “Allah saved Musa and children of Israel from pharaoh, Noah's Ark rested on Mount Arafat, the fire became cool and safe for Ibrahim, Yunus was saved from whale's belly, Jesus ascended to heavens...”, among many other blessings conferred upon various prophets of God.

Although Quran and several authentic hadith established the veracity of these events but never their respective dates to be 10th of Muharram as the hadith narrated by Ibn Abbas quoted above revealed it to be the idea of the Jew and not the holy prophet. Besides there is no gain-saying to claim the day of fasting of the Jews always coincide with 10th Muharram since the Jews have their calendar and months.

Apart from the fact that it has never been established through any academic line that all those events ever took place on the day of Ashura (10th Muharram), what immediately come to mind is even if Allah in His infinitesimal mercy blessed most of His prophets on the day of Ashura in their respective time, what blessing did Muhammad (saws), the leader of all prophets, the most beloved of Allah and the seal of the prophets, received on this 'blessed day of Ashura’ throughout the 23years of his mission to say the least? Nothing reliable was documented except this third opinion below:
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 4:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
THIRD OPINION
Imam al-Ridha [a], great-grandson of the holy prophet said, “... Muharram is a month in which even the people of the former age of ignorance forbade oppression and bloodshed due to its sanctity. However, this nation did not honor the sanctity of this month nor did they honor the sanctity of their Prophet [s]. In this month, they killed their Prophet’s progeny, enslaved his women, and plundered his belongings. May Allah never forgive them for these crimes?"

And that was the peak of the crime the community of the holy prophet (saws) committed on the 10th Muharram, 61AH. As foretold by the prophet himself, it was the day Imam Hussain (60+ yrs then), alongside other members of the prophet's household, friends and companions amounting to 72, were massacred in an isolated place called Kar’bala by the evil force of the then Muslim's Leader, a cursed tyrant, Yazid Ibn Mu'awiyyah. And their sole 'crime' was that they refused to acknowledge and bowed to falsehood and Bid’a (innovation) over the truth and guidance established by the holy prophet (saws).

Hussain was brutally murdered, having up to 50 fatal wounds, then a javelin was strucked into his heart; and while still alive, he was slaughtered with his head sever from his neck.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 4:25pm On Oct 26, 2014
COMMEMORATION OF HUSSAIN’S DEATH
Imam Muslim records in his Sahih, vol. 4 p. 1873, #2408, part of the very last sermon of the holy prophet (peace be on him and his progeny) to his Ummah (community) in his last Hajj at a place called (Ghadir) Khumm. The EXACT wording of the prophet reads:

"...O Mankind! I am only a human being. The messenger of my Lord (i.e angel of death) will soon reach me and I will answer (the call of death). But, I am leaving behind over you TWO WEIGHTY THINGS. The first of them is the Book of Allah. In it there is guidance and light. So hold fast to the Book of Allah and adhere to it and My Ahl Al-Bayt (progeny). I REMIND YOU, with Allah, of my Ahl al-Bayt! I REMIND YOU, with Allah, of my Ahl al-Bayt! I REMIND YOU, with Allah, of my Ahl al-Bayt!"

In another authentic narration, the holy prophet declared:
“I am leaving behind over you two khalifahs (successors); the Book of Allah – a rope stretching between the heaven and the earth – and my offspring, my Ahl al-Bayt (progeny). Verily both shall never separate from each other until they meet me at the lake-Fount”
~Musnad, Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal vol. 5 p.181, #21618; Imam al-Fasawi, al-Ma’rifah wa al-Tarikh vol.1 p.294 etc.

Despite the fact that the holy prophet warned and entrusted this community with his progeny (of which Hussain is part) who were par of the holy Quran as the "Two Weighty Legacy or Two Khalifas (successors)" we are to adhere to and follow after his demise, just like the Bani Israil (Israilites) murdered many of the prophets sent to them and distort the legacy of their prophets, this nation also stained its hands with the blood of the family of its prophet and distort the par legacy of their prophet with “sunna of the prophet” claimed to be derived from his companions among whom were hypocrites as Allah revealed (e.g Quran 9: 101).

It is interesting that this hadith, with the underlined word “I leave behind you the book of God and my sunnah...” never exist in any of Sunni six most authentic book of hadith (i.e sahih Bukhari, Muslim,Tirmidhi etc) while other books who have reported the hadith with the underlined phrase recorded it either with no chain of transmission or weak chain which render such a report unacceptable in the science of hadith. Little wonder why this nation (muslim world) has been in chaos, ever since the demise of the holy prophet.

“Lo! Those who disbelieve the revelations of Allah, and slay the prophets wrongfully, and slay those of mankind who enjoy equity; announce to them a painful doom.” ~Quran 3 : 21

Ever since the martyrdom of Imam Hussain till date, the muslim world (except few) seem to have forgotten the significance of Ashura in the remembrance of the death of Imam Hussain. What majority publicized has always been either fasting or feasting and not sorrowful commemoration which Ashura is synonymous with. Even the holy prophet cried profusely and sorrowfully for the killing of Hussain. Interestingly he (saws) even kept the soil (tur’ba) upon which Hussain (will) died ever before he was even born.

To those who fanatically insist on those inconsistent narration (hadith) on fasting on Ashura day, it is of high paramount to remind them of a golden verse in the holy Quran where Allah instructed His prophet thus: "Say (O Muhammad)! I do not ask any reward from you for this (propagation of Islam) except kindness to my nearest of kin" ~Quran 42: 23

And one of the nearest of kin (infact Quran used the word ‘your sons’) of Muhammad was Hussain whom the prophet said:"Hussain is of me and I am of Hussain. Whoever hurt him has hurt me. May God love those who love Hussain”.

On this day (of Ashura), we do not only remember Imam Hussain for the truth of Islamic principles he stood and fought for, and just like Allah instruct in several verses “And remember in the book (the story of)...” many of His righteous prophets and saints, we also commemorate the death of Imam Hussain just as Jabir ibn Abdullah al-Ansari, Abdullah ibn Abbas (great companions of the holy prophet), Ali ibn Hussain, grandson of the prophet, among many others commemorated the death of Hussain.

as-Salam alal Hussain
Peace and blessings upon Muhammad, his purified progeny and righteous among his companions.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by Yustash001(m): 6:37am On Oct 27, 2014
So what u are trying to say is that fasting on the day of ashura is not a sunnah?
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 8:36am On Oct 27, 2014
Yustash001:
So what u are trying to say is that fasting on the day of ashura is not a sunnah?

Fasting on the day of Ashura either as a practice of the age of ignorance or as a practice of the Jew or better as a purported practice of Muhammad (peace be on him and his progeny), it is more than clear from the highlighted ahadith that you have an option to abandon it.

What is obligatory on you is the love of Ahli Muhammad (progeny of Muhammad) which is stated in the holy Quran and explicit saying of the prophet before he died: "I REMIND YOU, with Allah, of my Ahl al-Bayt! I REMIND YOU, with Allah, of my Ahl al-Bayt! I REMIND YOU, with Allah, of my Ahl al-Bayt!"

To remember and shed tears or atleast feel remorse for the brutal killing of the progeny of the holy prophet (peace be on him and his progeny) on the day of Ashura is worthier perhaps Allah may forgive this 'community of Muhammad' for the crime of murdering their prophet's progeny.

Imam Hussain (as) died to revive Islam.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by Yustash001(m): 8:58am On Oct 27, 2014
AlBaqir:

Fasting on the day of Ashura either as a practice of the age of ignorance or as a practice of the Jew or better as a purported practice of Muhammad (peace be on him and his progeny), it is more than clear from the highlighted ahadith that you have an option to abandon it.

What is obligatory on you is the love of Ahli Muhammad (progeny of Muhammad) which is stated in the holy Quran and explicit saying of the prophet before he died: "I REMIND YOU, with Allah, of my Ahl al-Bayt! I REMIND YOU, with Allah, of my Ahl al-Bayt! I REMIND YOU, with Allah, of my Ahl al-Bayt!"

To remember and shed tears or atleast feel remorse for the brutal killing of the progeny of the holy prophet (peace be on him and his progeny) on the day of Ashura is worthier perhaps Allah may forgive this 'community of Muhammad' for the crime of murdering their prophet's progeny.

Imam Hussain (as) died to revive Islam.
toor....May almighty Allah help us,....
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 4:24pm On Oct 27, 2014
My First Muharram - Dr. Rebecca Masterton - Hussein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIkb4UhD2ig
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by abuhalima(m): 8:28am On Oct 28, 2014
(i)It was narrated from Abu ‘Abdullah (peace
be upon him) from his father that ‘Ali (peace
be upon him) said: Fast ‘Ashoora’ in this
manner, on the ninth and the tenth, for it
expiates the sins of a year.

Narrated by at-Toosi in Tahdheeb al-Ahkaam,
4/299; al-Istibsaar, 2/134; by al-Fayd al-
Kaashaani in al-Waafi, 7/13; by al-Hurr
al-‘Aamili in Wasaa’il ash-Shi‘ah, 7/337; by
al-Buroojardi in Jaami‘ Ahaadeeth ash-
Shi‘ah, 9/474, 475.

(ii)It was narrated from Abu’l-Hasan (peace be
upon him) that he said: The Messenger of
Allah (blessings of Allah be upon him and his
family) fasted the day of ‘Ashoora’.

Tahdheeb al-Ahkaam, 4/39; al-Istibsaar,
2/134; al-Waafi, 7/13; Wasaa’il ash-Shi‘ah,
7/337; also in Jaami‘ Ahaadeeth ash-Shi‘ah,
9/475

(iii)It was narrated from Ja‘far, from his father
(peace be upon him) that he said: Fasting
the day of ‘Ashoora’ is an expiation for a
year.

Tahdheeb al-Ahkaam,4/300; al-Istibsaar,
2/134; Jaami‘ Ahaadeeth ash-Shi‘ah, 9/475;
al-Hadaa’iq an-Naadirah, 13/371; al-Waafi by
al-Kaashaani,7/13; al-Hurr al-‘Aamili in
Wasaa’il ash-Shi‘ah, 7/337

(iv)It was narrated that ‘Ali (may Allah be
pleased with him) said: Fast the day of
‘Ashoora’, the ninth and the tenth to be on
the safe side, because that is expiation for
the past year. If one of you did not know
about it before he ate, then let him fast for
the rest of the day.

This report was narrated by the Shi‘i
hadeeth scholar Husayn an-Noori at-Tabrusi
in Mustadrak al-Wasaa’il, 1/594; and by al-
Buroojardi in Ahaadeeth ash-Shi‘ah, 9/475.

(v)It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allah
be pleased with him) said: When you see
the new moon of Muharram, then count (the
days), and when the ninth day comes, then
fast. I – that is, the narrator – said: Is that
how Muhammad (peace be upon him and his
family) used to fast? He said: Yes.

This report was narrated by the Shi‘i Radiy
ad-Deen Abu’l-Qaasim ‘Ali ibn Moosa ibn
Ja‘far ibn Tawoos in his book Iqbaal al-
A‘maal, p. 554; and by al-Hurr al-‘Aamili in
Wasaa’il ash-Shi‘ah, 7/347; and by an-Noori
at-Tabrusi in Mustadrak al-Wasaa’il, 1/594;
and in Jaami‘ Ahaadeeth ash-Shi‘ah, 9/475.

We have quoted these reports and their
sources from the book Man qatala al-Husayn
(radiy Allah ‘andhu)? by ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abd
al-‘Azeez.

And Allah knows best.

www.islamqa.info/en/128633

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 12:50pm On Oct 28, 2014
abuhalima:
(i)It was narrated from Abu ‘Abdullah (peace
be upon him) from his father that ‘Ali (peace
be upon him) said: Fast ‘Ashoora’ in this
manner, on the ninth and the tenth, for it
expiates the sins of a year.

Narrated by at-Toosi in Tahdheeb al-Ahkaam,
4/299; al-Istibsaar, 2/134; by al-Fayd al-
Kaashaani in al-Waafi, 7/13; by al-Hurr
al-‘Aamili in Wasaa’il ash-Shi‘ah, 7/337; by
al-Buroojardi in Jaami‘ Ahaadeeth ash-
Shi‘ah, 9/474, 475.

(ii)It was narrated from Abu’l-Hasan (peace be
upon him) that he said: The Messenger of
Allah (blessings of Allah be upon him and his
family) fasted the day of ‘Ashoora’.

Tahdheeb al-Ahkaam, 4/39; al-Istibsaar,
2/134; al-Waafi, 7/13; Wasaa’il ash-Shi‘ah,
7/337; also in Jaami‘ Ahaadeeth ash-Shi‘ah,
9/475

(iii)It was narrated from Ja‘far, from his father
(peace be upon him) that he said: Fasting
the day of ‘Ashoora’ is an expiation for a
year.

Tahdheeb al-Ahkaam,4/300; al-Istibsaar,
2/134; Jaami‘ Ahaadeeth ash-Shi‘ah, 9/475;
al-Hadaa’iq an-Naadirah, 13/371; al-Waafi by
al-Kaashaani,7/13; al-Hurr al-‘Aamili in
Wasaa’il ash-Shi‘ah, 7/337

(iv)It was narrated that ‘Ali (may Allah be
pleased with him) said: Fast the day of
‘Ashoora’, the ninth and the tenth to be on
the safe side, because that is expiation for
the past year. If one of you did not know
about it before he ate, then let him fast for
the rest of the day.

This report was narrated by the Shi‘i
hadeeth scholar Husayn an-Noori at-Tabrusi
in Mustadrak al-Wasaa’il, 1/594; and by al-
Buroojardi in Ahaadeeth ash-Shi‘ah, 9/475.

(v)It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allah
be pleased with him) said: When you see
the new moon of Muharram, then count (the
days), and when the ninth day comes, then
fast. I – that is, the narrator – said: Is that
how Muhammad (peace be upon him and his
family) used to fast? He said: Yes.

This report was narrated by the Shi‘i Radiy
ad-Deen Abu’l-Qaasim ‘Ali ibn Moosa ibn
Ja‘far ibn Tawoos in his book Iqbaal al-
A‘maal, p. 554; and by al-Hurr al-‘Aamili in
Wasaa’il ash-Shi‘ah, 7/347; and by an-Noori
at-Tabrusi in Mustadrak al-Wasaa’il, 1/594;
and in Jaami‘ Ahaadeeth ash-Shi‘ah, 9/475.

We have quoted these reports and their
sources from the book Man qatala al-Husayn
(radiy Allah ‘andhu)? by ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abd
al-‘Azeez.

And Allah knows best.

www.islamqa.info/en/128633

Just when is "Rafidhi's" books became reference sources to those who believe Shi'a are Kafir and have their own separate religion? @islamqa.info/en
Wonders shall never end. The website should rather worry about the Jewish-info of the significance of Ashura and the so-called adopted practice of the Jahili as documented in their 'sahih books'.

* Ayatullah al-Khoei (http://www.al-khoei.us/books/?id=3258) has been reported to have talked at length on this ahadith in Shi'a books being existed and correct yet it never outweighed the remembrance of the Martyrdom of Imam Hussain and other family member of the holy prophet.

There are however many ahadith that forbid fasting on the day of Ashura; unfortunately, islamqa failed to quote those ahadith.

On the other hand, Ayatullah Ali Sistani rule thus:
1756. It is Makrooh (dislike) to fast on 'Ashura (10th of Muharram). It is also Makrooh to fast on the day about which one is not sure whether it is the day of 'Arafa or Eid-ul-Azha.
www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2282/

Perhaps On this basis:

ﻧﻌﻢ ، ﺇﻥّ ﻫﻨﺎﻙ ﺭﻭﺍﻳﺔ ﻭﺍﺣﺪﺓ ﺻﺤﻴﺤﺔ ﺍﻟﺴﻨﺪ ، ﻭﻫﻲ ﺻﺤﻴﺤﺔ ﺯﺭﺍﺭﺓ ﻭﻣﺤﻤّﺪ ﺑﻦ ﻣﺴﻠﻢ ﺟﻤﻴﻌﺎً : ﺃﻧّﻬﻤﺎ ﺳﺄﻻ ﺃﺑﺎ ﺟﻌﻔﺮ ﺍﻟﺒﺎﻗﺮ ‏( ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﺍﻟﺴﻼﻡ‏) ﻋﻦ ﺻﻮﻡ ﻳﻮﻡ ﻋﺎﺷﻮﺭﺍﺀ ‏« ﻓﻘﺎﻝ : ﻛﺎﻥ ﺻﻮﻣﻪ ﻗﺒﻞ ﺷﻬﺮ ﺭﻣﻀﺎﻥ ، ﻓﻠﻤّﺎ ﻧﺰﻝ ﺷﻬﺮ ﺭﻣﻀﺎﻥ ﺗﺮﻙ

Narrated Zuraarah and Muhammad b. Muslim:

We both asked Abu Ja'far, peace be upon him, about the fast of 'Ashura. Then, he said, "It was fasted before the month of Ramadaan. But, when the month of Ramadaan was revealed, it was abandoned."

The hadeeth has a saheeh chain as al-Khui said.

However, the existence of the fasting of Ashura in Shi'a books does not erase the fact that the traditions in the sahih of Ahl sunnah are contradictory and ridiculous to Islam. Likewise, it does not dispel the fact that 'fasting on Ashura' remain optional. But commemorating the death of Hussain is obligatory as his love is mandatory.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 12:52pm On Oct 28, 2014
LagosShia:
[b]Sayings of Imam Hussain (as):

"I never revolted in vain, as a rebel or as a tyrant, but I rose seeking reformation for the nation of my grandfather Mohammad. I intend to enjoin good and forbid evil, to act according to the traditions of my grandfather, and my father Ali Ibn Abi-Talib". (Bihar al- Anwar, Vol. 44, P. 329)

"Those who worship God for the hope of gaining , they’re not real worshippers ,they’re merchants. Those who worship God out of fear ( of punishment ) , they’re slaves. And those who worship God to be grateful towards their creator , they are the free people , and their worship is a real one". (Bihar al- Anwar, Vol. 78 , P. 117)

"If you don’t believe in any religion and don’t fear the Resurrection Day, at least be free in this world". (Bihar al- Anwar, Vol. 45, P. 51)

"People are slaves to the world , and as long as they live favorable and comfortable lives , they are loyal to religious principles. However , at hard times , the times of trials , true religious people are scarce". (Bihar al- Anwar, Vol. 78 , P. 117)

"Don’t you see that the right is not conveyed and the wrong is not prohibited. Let believers wish to die and righteously meet their God". (Bihar al- Anwar, Vol. 78 , P. 117)

"To me , death is nothing but happiness, and living under tyrants nothing but living in a hell". (Tohaf-al- Uqoul , P. 245)

"O’ God! Surely you know that whatever we did was not a competition to gain worldly positions and not for the worthless physical attractions of the world. But to show the signs of religious ways and to remove corruption from your lands , so that the oppressed feel secured and act according to your traditions and rules". (Tohaf-al- Uqoul, P. 239)[/b]
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 6:53am On Oct 29, 2014
Q12) What is the philosophy of Azadari
(mourning and lamentation) for Imam Husain?

A12) Why is Husain (A) regarded as the "leader of the martyrs"? It is because he was not just the victim of an ambitious ruler. There is no doubt that the tragedy of Kerbala, when ascribed to the killers, is a criminal and terrible act.

However when ascribed to Husain (A) himself, it represents a conscious confrontation and a courageous resistance for a sacred cause. The whole nation had failed to stand up to Yazid. They had succumbed to his will, and deviation and regression towards the pre-Islamic ways were increasing.

Passiveness by Husain (A) in this situation would have meant the end of Islam as we know it. Thus Husain (A) took upon himself the responsibility of the whole nation. The greatest tragedy was that one who stood up for the noblest of causes, the defense of Islam, was cut down in so cruel a manner.

It is for this reason that the sacrifice of Husain (A) is commemorated annually throughout the Muslim world. Our sorrow never abates as we relive the tragedy.

The commemoration of Ashura on the 10th of Muharram every year serves to remind us of the sacrifices of the family of the Prophet (S). It also makes us aware of the people, then and now, who tried to destroy Islam and the family of the Prophet (pbuh) and all that they stood for - as well as those who watched, listened and did nothing.

By Ayatullah Sayyid Ali Sistani
www.alulbayt.com/rulings/19.htm
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 11:00am On Oct 31, 2014
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 6:51am On Nov 02, 2014
"O Allah! (All) praise is for You (alone); praise of the "Ever-thankful to You", who glorify You whatever come to pass. (All) praise is for Allah for my deep-felt intense grief. O Allah make available for me the recommendations of Husayn on the day I present myself before You, let me stand firm in safety before You on account of my sincere attachment with Husayn, along with him and his comrades, who sacrificed everything they had (heart, mind, soul and life) for Husayn, peace be on him.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 2:01pm On Nov 09, 2014
"In a distant age and climate, the tragic scene of the death of Hussain will awaken the sympathy of the coldest reader."
~The decline and fall of the Roman Empire, London, 1911, volume 5, p. 391 - 392 by Edward Gibbon, English historian and member of parliament.

"No battle in the modern and past history of mankind has earned more sympathy and admiration as well as provided more lessons than the martyrdom of Hussain in the battle of Karbala"
~Hussain in Christian Ideology by Antoine Bara.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by true2god: 9:31pm On Nov 09, 2014
When will shia muslims stop all this story of hussein death, it is quite sicknening. Hussein is long dead, the sunnis killed him cos his grand father, mohammed, did not do a proper exchange of power. I am sorry to say, the foundation of Islam, vis a vis the arab race, is fraught with violence and bloodshed.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 3:55pm On Nov 11, 2014
true2god:
When will shia muslims stop all this story of hussein death, it is quite sicknening. Hussein is long dead, the sunnis killed him cos his grand father, mohammed, did not do a proper exchange of power. I am sorry to say, the foundation of Islam, vis a vis the arab race, is fraught with violence and bloodshed.

That is when there's no more oppression on earth. His death happened to be the peak of oppression and tyranny. And this happens everyday on everyland. In his saying, Imam Zainul Abeedin says:
"Everyday is Ashura and Every land is kar'bala"

As a muslim, we believe in near future, a man named al-Mahdi will come and establish justice of God and orderliness on the earth as it is filled with injustice and oppression. That is when there will be final nail on the coffin but for now all we are doing yearly commemorating the death of Imam Hussain and the 72 companions that were murdered in a cold blood alongside him, is declaration of our opposition to oppression and injustice, renewing our allegiance for truth, justice...
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 9:46am On Oct 15, 2015
true2god:
... cos his grand father, mohammed, did not do a proper exchange of power. I am sorry to say, the foundation of Islam, vis a vis the arab race, is fraught with violence and bloodshed.

Really that is what you are made to believed in. On the contrary,

1. Prophet is reported to have said:

"I am leaving behind over you TWO KHALIFAHS (successors); the Book of Allah - a rope stretching between the heaven and the earth - and my offspring, my Ahl al-Bayt. Verily, both shall never separate from each other until they meet me at the Lake-Fount"

Sheik Nasir deen al-Albani comments: Sahih (authentic).

{Sahih al-Jami' al-Saghir wa Ziyadatuhu (Al-Maktab al-Islami), vol. 1 p. 482, hadith no. 2457}

And on different occasion, he officially appointed 'Ali ibn Abi talib. For example:

2. 'Allamah al-Albani (d. 1420H) in his annotated version of Ibn Asim's "kitab al-Sunnah" documents

Ibn Abbas:

The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said to 'Ali: "You are to me of the status of Harun to Musa, with the exception that you are not a prophet. [Verily, it is not right that I depart except] with you as my Khalifah over every believer after me."

Allamah al-Albani comments: Its chain is hasan...

{Kitab al-Sunnah (al-Maktab al-Islami; 1st edition, 1400H) [annotator: Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani], vol. 2, p. 565, #1188}

3. Imām al-Ṭaḥāwī (d. 321 H) documents:

Ibrāhīm b. Marzūq - Abū ‘Āmir al-‘Aqadī – Kathīr b. Zayd – Muḥammad b. ‘Umar b. ‘Alī – his father - ‘Alī:

Verily, the Prophet, peace be upon him, came to a tree at (Ghadīr) Khumm. Then he came out, holding the hand of ‘Alī, and saying: “O mankind! Do you not testify that Allāh the Almighty is your Lord?” They said, “Yes, we do.” He said, “Do you not testify that Allāh and His Messenger are more entitled to you than yourselves and that Allāh the Almighty and His Messenger are your Mawlā?” They said, “Yes, we do”. He said, “So, whosoever Allāh and His Messenger are his Mawlā, verily this one – or ‘Alī - is his mawlā. I have left behind over you that which if you hold fast to it you will never go astray: the Book of Allāh – one end of which is in your hands – and my Ahl al-Bayt.”

Shaykh al-Arnāūṭ comments:
Its chain is Hasan

{Abū Ja’far Aḥmad b. Muḥammad b. Salāmah b. ‘Abd al-Malik b. Salmah al-Azdī al-Ḥajarī al-Miṣrī al-Ṭaḥāwī, Sharḥ Mushkil al-Athār (Muasassat al-Risālah; 1st edition, 1415 H) [annotator: Shu’ayb al-Arnāūṭ], vol. 5, p. 13, # 1760}

4. Imam Ahmad al-Busiri (d. 840H) also documents:

Narrated ‘Alī b. Abī Ṭālib, may Allāh be pleased with him: The Prophet, peace be upon him, came to a tree at (Ghadīr) Khumm. Then he came out, holding the hand of ‘Alī, and saying: “Do you not testify that Allāh is your Lord?” They said, “Yes, we do.” He said, “Do you not testify that Allāh and His Messenger are more entitled to you than yourselves and that Allāh and His Messenger are your Mawlā?” They said, “Yes, we do”. He said, “So, whosoever Allāh and His Messenger are his Mawlā, verily this one (i.e. ‘Alī) is his mawlā. I have left behind over you that which if you hold fast to it you will never go astray: the Book of Allāh – one end of which is in His Hand and the other in your hands – and my Ahl al-Bayt.”

And al-Būṣīrī has this simple verdict about it: Isḥāq recorded it with a ṣaḥīḥ chain.

{Aḥmad b. Abī Bakr b. Ismā’īl al-Būṣīrī, Itiḥāf al-Khiyarah al-Maharah bi Zawāid al-Masānīd al-‘Ashra (Riyadh: Dār al-Waṭan; 1st edition, 1420 H), vol. 7, p. 210, # 6683}

5. ‘Allāmah al-Muttaqī al-Hindī (d. 975 H) too records the ḥadīth:

Narrated Ali Ibn Abi Talib, may Allāh be pleased with him:

The Prophet, peace be upon him, came to a tree at (Ghadīr) Khumm. Then he came out, holding the hand of ‘Alī, and saying: “Do you not testify that Allāh is your Lord?” They said, “We do.” He said, “Do you not testify that Allāh and His Messenger are more entitled to you than yourselves and that Allāh and His Messenger are your Mawlā?” They said, “Yes, we do”. He said, “So, whosoever Allāh and His Messenger are his Mawlā, verily this one (i.e. ‘Alī) is his mawlā. I have left behind over you that which if you hold fast to it you will never go astray while following it: the Book of Allāh – one end of which is in His Hand and the other in your hands – and my Ahl al-Bayt.”

Then al-Hindī says about it:

Narrated by (Isḥāq) Ibn Rāhwayh, Ibn Jarīr, Ibn Abī ‘Āṣim, and by al-Muḥāmalī in his Amalī, and he (al-Muḥāmalī) declared it ṣaḥīḥ.

{‘Alī b. Ḥusām al-Dīn al-Muttaqī al-Hindī, Kanz al-‘Ummāl fī Sunan al-Aqwāl wa Af’āl (Beirut: Muasassat al-Risālah; 1989 H), vol. 13, p. 121, # 36441}.

These are what our brethren keep undermine and brainwash generations upon generations to believe otherwise.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by MrOlai: 11:00am On Oct 15, 2015
Yustash001:
Yustash001:
toor....May almighty Allah help us,....

Don't mind him pls. He is a chronic shia! He is out there to mislead Muslims! Fasting on the Day of Asura is Sunnah of the Prophet (SAW). Pls, ignore him!
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 3:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
MrOlai, rather than being pathetic, you can only convince the man by counter the OP's presentations and arguments. You will not only convince him but will also be at rest in your very heart. The following are the mountains before your eminent:

# Convince the man that the hadith attributed to Ibn Abbas (radiyallahu anhu) is indeed true that the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa a'alih) truly was naive of the fasting of Ashura. And that he only heard from the Jews and follow the practice.

# Convince the Yustash001 that the hadith of Aisha is not contradictory with that of Ibn Abbas. Aisha was alleged to have said that the fasting of Ashura was a practice dated since the time of the age of ignorance and Muhammad used to observe the fasting then until Allah replaces it with Ramadhan.

# Lastly, convince Yustash001 that Prophet never mourn and weep for his son, Hussein (alayhi Salam) who was killed by the same Ummah the Prophet painstakingly guided for 23 years.

Shukran kathir.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by MrOlai: 9:42pm On Oct 16, 2015
AlBaqir:
MrOlai, rather than being pathetic, you can only convince the man by counter the OP's presentations and arguments. You will not only convince him but will also be at rest in your very heart. The following are the mountains before your eminent:
# Convince the man that the hadith attributed to Ibn Abbas (radiyallahu anhu) is indeed true that the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa a'alih) truly was naive of the fasting of Ashura. And that he only heard from the Jews and follow the practice.
# Convince the Yustash001 that the hadith of Aisha is not contradictory with that of Ibn Abbas. Aisha was alleged to have said that the fasting of Ashura was a practice dated since the time of the age of ignorance and Muhammad used to observe the fasting then until Allah replaces it with Ramadhan.
# Lastly, convince Yustash001 that Prophet never mourn and weep for his son, Hussein (alayhi Salam) who was killed by the same Ummah the Prophet painstakingly guided for 23 years.
Shukran kathir.

@Bolded. It's so unfortunate the way you shia people take the Prophet(SAW)! "THE PROPHET WAS TRULY NAIVE.."! Subhanallah!

This is what Allah(SWT) says about the Prophet(SAW):

ﭠﭡﭢﭣﭤ"ﭥ وَمَا يَنطِقُ عَنِ ٱلْهَوَىٰٓ
". إِنْ هُوَ إِلَّا وَحْىٌ يُوحَىٰ

" Nor does he speak from [his own] inclination.
It is not but a revelation revealed,."

Only Allah(SWT) can guide you shia people with the level you have descended to in referring to the Prophet(SAW).
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 12:50pm On Oct 17, 2015
MrOlai:

@Bolded. It's so unfortunate [s]the way you shia people[/u] take the Prophet(SAW)! "THE PROPHET WAS TRULY NAIVE.."! Subhanallah!

This is what Allah(SWT) says about the Prophet(SAW):

ﭠﭡﭢﭣﭤ"ﭥ وَمَا يَنطِقُ عَنِ ٱلْهَوَىٰٓ
". إِنْ هُوَ إِلَّا وَحْىٌ يُوحَىٰ

" Nor does he speak from [his own] inclination.
It is not but a revelation revealed,."

Only Allah(SWT) can guide you shia people with the level you have descended to in referring to the Prophet(SAW).

It seems you have a problem of mental comprehension. May Allah cure your diseases.

First, it was your book that made such claim not Shia. The hadith is clear as posted in the OP.

Second, the noble ayah you quoted further sink your almighty hadith of sahih Bukhari and Muslim that claimed the holy Prophet took "fatwa" of the Jews in establishing fasting for the Muslim on the day of Ashura rather than consulting his Lord.

I can see you are using your senses of late now. The robotic followership of whatever is documented in the Sahihain is injurious to your Iman.

Lastly, you still have huge mountains before you to rebutt the OP by convincing the viewers of this thread. Do not run away from the responsibility by trying to divert and derail the topic with your usual, sick, pathetic cunning cries of Shia this Shia that.

WA Salam alaykum.
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by MrOlai: 8:47pm On Oct 17, 2015
AlBaqir:

First, it was your book that made such claim not Shia.
You and your Taqiya!
Where in the hadith is it mentioned that the Prophet(SAW) was NAIVE? You shia people used the silly word!
Anyway, I'm not surprised. You have come here in the past to make blashemous comments against the Prophet(SAW)! It's ur way!
Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 6:55pm On Oct 19, 2015
MrOlai:

You and your Taqiya!
Where in the hadith is it mentioned that the Prophet(SAW) was NAIVE? You shia people used the silly word!
Anyway, I'm not surprised. You have come here in the past to make blashemous comments against the Prophet(SAW)! It's ur way!

Sometimes I wonder if you go to school at all.

NAIVE: Innocent, lack of experience/knowledge

Here's what your hadith says:

Narrated Ibn Abbas:
The holy prophet entered Madina and saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashura. He asked them: "What is the significance of this day on which you fast?" They replied, "This is a good day, the day on which God rescued the children of Israel from their enemy. So, Moses fasted this day." He (saw) then said, "We have more claim over Moses than you." He then fasted on that day and ordered Muslims too.”

Ref: Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 3 Book 31, Hadith 222; Sahih Muslim- chapter: Fasting on the Day of Ashura, Book 13 Hadith 164, Book 6 Hadith2520

Awaiting another foolish reply of yours, Mr Taqiya MrOlai

1 Like

Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by MrOlai: 12:50am On Oct 20, 2015
^^^ Pele grin grin grin
Honestly, I don't have your time! It's so shameful that Allah(SWT) and the Prophet(SAW) would say something, you shia people would say something contrary to Allah's injuctions!

The Prophet(SAW) recommended fasting on the day of Ashura, you shia people are saying people should not fast! You are saying the Prophet(SAW) was "naive"! Subhanallah! It so shameful!

The Scholars of Islam who consider shia as kufar, mushrikun(unbelievers, polytheists) have their evidence. For those who might be following, this is what Albaqir has to say about the first three Caliphs of Islam(Abubakr, Umar, Uthman(R.A. Ajmain)) and others that followed them:

AlBaqir:

We (Shia) have over many centuries after the demise of the holy prophet (saws) presented our 12 Imams as being successor of the holy prophet, it is alarming that Ahl Sunna wal Jama'a (past or present) have NEVER reach any conclusion as who were those 12 as many of their Khalifas were monsters, murderers, adulterers and devil incarnates.

This is what Albaqir has to say about the wives of the Prophet(SAW):
AlBaqir:

There is a narration in Tafsir al-Ayyashi which states that the Prophet (pbuh) was poisoned by his two wives, A’isha and Hafsa.

This is what Albaqir has to say about the Prophet Himself(SAW):
AlBaqir:

Other evidence for the Prophet being martyred(poisoned) comes from the narration of Imam Sadiq (a.s):
'There is none of us but is killed by sword or poison'

It's so shameful! Even the non-muslims would not make those silly and blasphemous statements against the muslims!

Mr Albaqir, I don't have your time! A non-muslim who respects the sanctity of the Prophet(SAW), his wives and the first three Caliphs you rain curses upon year in year out, might be better than you in the sight of Allah(SWT)!

1 Like

Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by AlBaqir(m): 1:55pm On Oct 20, 2015
MrOlai, I can only beg you in the name of Allah to stop this nonsense and childish attitude. Quran says even if you hate a group or individual, do not let their hatred blind your treatment of them with equity and justice. It is a grave sin how you continue to incite hatred by lying: Deliberately and continuously quoting out of context. Even as staunch as fundamentalist, he never stoop so low to this tactics.

Demmzy15, Empiree, Sissie, et al please I need your plea to this man.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) by MrOlai: 2:32pm On Oct 20, 2015
AlBaqir:
MrOlai, I can only beg you in the name of Allah to stop this nonsense and childish attitude. Quran says even if you hate a group or individual, do not let their hatred blind your treatment of them with equity and justice. It is a grave sin how you continue to incite hatred by lying: Deliberately and continuously quoting out of context. Even as staunch as fundamentalist, he never stoop so low to this tactics.
Demmzy15, Empiree, Sissie, et al please I need your plea to this man.

Pele! grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do Muslims Call The Name Of Mohammed When They Are In Danger? / Spiritual Healings In Islam / Al-istikhaarah Simplified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.