Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,062 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers (1787 Views)

It Offers Your Improve In Your Design Associated With Collagen / Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers / 15 Health Benefits Of Cucumber (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 4:34pm On Oct 26, 2014
The cucumber is a creeping vine whose fruits are also called cucumber; it’s the fruits that we are concerned with here. Most of us are familiar with this green fruit; it is cylindrical in shape, approximately 6 to 9 inches long. The skin of the cucumber closely resembles that of the watermelon and ranges from green to white; the inside is very juicy and has a pale green colour with an almost watery flavour taste as more than 90% of it is made up of water.
One wonderful thing about the cucumber is that it can be eaten raw as a fruit just like the watermelon or as a vegetable, either way the cucumber is very beneficial to the human system.

Most of us eat the cucumber without knowing how it benefits our body system while some maybe because they are not aware of the benefits they can derive from the cucumber don’t fancy eating it. After going through this benefits am sure you might want to include this wonderful fruit in your food intake. The benefits that this fruit offers extend even outside of the human system. Below are some of the benefits we derive from each bite of the cucumber.

Weight control
Most people want to lose weight so they cut down on their food intake. Although some of these foods may be little in quantity, the calories they contain are high, thus they starve themselves and at same time end up giving the body enough calories to store as fat. Cucumber on the other hand is less in calories; a cup of cucumber juice contains just 16 calories. In addition to the low calories cucumber has soluble fibres which can dissolve in the gut delaying digestion and giving you the feeling of fullness.

Antioxidant effects
The cucumber can help slow down the rate at which we get older. It contains antioxidants like β-carotenes, α-carotenes, vitamin c, vitamin A as well as many other antioxidants. These antioxidants scavenge the Oxygen-derived free radicals as well as the Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) which play a role in the ageing process thus slowing down the ageing process.

Nutritional benefits
The cucumber contains lots of vitamins and other nutrients. Click here to get the full nutritional contents of the cucumber.

Inflammation
Cucumber extracts have the ability to inhibit the enzyme Cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2) which is responsible for production of prostaglandins which foster inflammation. Thus cucumber has anti-inflammatory effects.

Puffy eyes
The next time you wake up with puffy or swollen eyes maybe due to fluid retention or probably crying yourself to sleep, all you need to do is to lie down and cut 2 slices of cucumber and place them on your eyes for about 10 minutes.

Cure for Diabetes
Cucumber contains a very little amount of sugar and can be eaten even by diabetic patients. It also contains a substance needed by the pancreas to produce insulin which helps to lower the amount of sugar in the blood.

Rehydration
Next time when you’re dehydrated and can’t seem to find water nearby, just take a bite of cucumber. More than 90% of the cucumber is made up of water which can serve to rehydrate your system.

Anticancer effects
Cucumber contains cucurbitacin which has anti-cancer effects and also lignans which may also help to lower the chances of developing cancers such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer as well as prostate cancer.

Hair nails and skin care
Cucumber contains silicon and sulphur which promotes hair growth. The silicon also helps to make the nails stronger. The high content of vitamin C and other antioxidants makes the cucumber an ingredient for beauty creams used in treatment of eczema and acne etc.

Relief for heartburn and sunburn
Cucumber can serve as a relief for heartburns when eaten, when used on the skin it can relieve sunburn.

There are many other enormous benefits that you can get from eating the wonderful cucumber fruit which I have not included here and I hope I've given you reasons to include the cucumber fruit in your diet.

source:http://joeterryscorner..com/2014/10/cucumber-benefits-it-offers.html#more

Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by Godmother(f): 8:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
I just can't stand this fruit! The sight, the smell, the taste...yuck!

1 Like

Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by Nobody: 1:17am On Oct 27, 2014
This is very wonderful information op, thanks for sharing this with us smiley
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by Evasmil4(m): 1:20am On Oct 27, 2014
Once upon a time I dislike the Taste, the sight and smell of Cucumber, but now I can finish 10 pcs. I started by taken just 1 bite and it was like I was goin to vomit. Leter I always mix the bite with other sweet fruits like apple or pineapple.
Thanks for d informatn
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 1:24am On Oct 27, 2014
Godmother:
I just can't stand this fruit! The sight, the smell, the taste...yuck!
everybody has their preferences but u should weigh the benefits you stand to gain when you eat it and maybe that'll change your mind
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 1:25am On Oct 27, 2014
Evasmil4:
Once upon a time I dislike the Taste, the sight and smell of Cucumber, but now I can finish 10 pcs. I started by taken just 1 bite and it was like I was goin to vomit. Leter I always mix the bite with other sweet fruits like apple or pineapple.
Thanks for d informatn
that was a smart plan
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 1:26am On Oct 27, 2014
xcelsia:
This is very wonderful information op, thanks for sharing this with us smiley
yo welcome. u can visit my blog joeterryscorner..com for lots of other health info

1 Like

Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by Godmother(f): 3:28am On Oct 27, 2014
joeterri:
everybody has their preferences but u should weigh the benefits you stand to gain when you eat it and maybe that'll change your mind

Yea, I know cucumber is very rich but I still can't stand it. I think I'd rather get the nutrients from other fuits instead. Its just about the only common fruit I can't take
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 7:23am On Oct 27, 2014
Godmother:

Yea, I know cucumber is very rich but I still can't stand it. I think I'd rather get the nutrients from other fuits instead. Its just about the only common fruit I can't take
you can get of the benefits from watermelon and some other fruits too
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by Godmother(f): 7:44am On Oct 27, 2014
Yea, and I love watermelon like crazy!
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by Bulksolutions: 8:06am On Oct 27, 2014
Get informed, read more articles on health, beauty, business/job tips, love and celebrity news on

www.trendyweekly..com
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 9:18am On Oct 27, 2014
Godmother:
Yea, and I love watermelon like crazy!
you've got a substitute then.
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by emygreat747(m): 9:25am On Oct 27, 2014
Cucumber,lolz!!!!i cant get enough of that fruit.
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 9:45am On Oct 27, 2014
emygreat747:
Cucumber,lolz!!!!i cant get enough of that fruit.
neither can I bro
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by LizNaira: 8:08pm On Oct 27, 2014
You could use raw diced potatoes over your eyes instead of cucumbers see
http://littleladyhealth..com/2014/10/10-natural-ways-to-lighten-your-skin.html
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 8:29pm On Oct 27, 2014
LizNaira:
You could use raw diced potatoes over your eyes instead of cucumbers see
http://littleladyhealth..com/2014/10/10-natural-ways-to-lighten-your-skin.html
don't know about that. but cucumber is really popular

1 Like

Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by LizNaira: 5:32pm On Oct 28, 2014
joeterri:

don't know about that. but cucumber is really popular

Try it!
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 7:54pm On Oct 28, 2014
LizNaira:

Try it!
OK
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by sucezTP(f): 7:26am On Oct 29, 2014
Interesting...
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by rutibaby(f): 9:16am On Oct 29, 2014
For me I don't take the seeds. That's just me.
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 9:23am On Oct 29, 2014
sucezTP:
Interesting...
really interesting
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 9:29am On Oct 29, 2014
rutibaby:
For me I don't take the seeds. That's just me.
the juice is the most important thing
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by rutibaby(f): 4:58pm On Oct 31, 2014
joeterri:

the juice is the most important thing
It makes me have running stomach.
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 5:34pm On Oct 31, 2014
rutibaby:

It makes me have running stomach.
ouch! that's sad. Guess it's one of those foods your intolerant or allergic to
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by lillyjane(f): 11:17pm On Oct 31, 2014
its such an amazing fruit. it goes well for me.
Re: Cucumber: The Benefits It Offers by joeterri(m): 11:19pm On Oct 31, 2014
lillyjane:
its such an amazing fruit. it goes well for me.
yea...me too

(1) (Reply)

TTC: How Can I Get Gufei Bao & Serrapeptase / ;D / 7 Ways To Handle Menstrual Pain (dysmenorrhea)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.