Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,227 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

Nigerian Male Value Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Male Value Culture (3317 Views)

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Gay Culture Gains Ground On Nigerian Varsity Campuses / How Culture affects Marriage Among Educated (westernized) Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Male Value Culture by DeepZone: 11:45am On Nov 17, 2008
Why do *some tribes in Nigeria value male children over female children even when it's obvious that female children are more productive than male ones. Don't you think that culture ought to be banished and seen as barbaric by now?
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by ikeyman00(m): 12:01pm On Nov 17, 2008
u are mad
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by DeepZone: 12:09pm On Nov 17, 2008
U are a witch hunter molesting children undecided
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by benincitys(f): 12:15pm On Nov 17, 2008
[/quote][quote author=ikeyman00 link=topic=196789.msg3098075#msg3098075 date=1226919674]
u are mad
why all this she ask a question if you have no answer move away.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by DeepZone: 12:19pm On Nov 17, 2008
benincitys:

why all this she ask a question if you have no answer move away.

Thank you. Stupid male ego disturbing most Nigerian male specie kiss.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by kokoye(m): 3:32pm On Nov 19, 2008
Simple: The man does not change his last name so the father knows his name will continue to exist.

The female child on the other hand gets married and starts bearing the husband's name - and this is the prayer of every parent. (who cares if they add their maiden name to thier husband's name?)

This is one of the major reasons - and I also know a lot of white men who truly want male kids, or have you ever heard of a female U.S president? well maybe almost, but not yet!

I only answered the question so please do not crucify me
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by bawomolo(m): 7:38pm On Nov 19, 2008
DeepZone:

Why do *some tribes in Nigeria value male children over female children even when it's obvious that female children are more productive than male ones. Don't you think that culture ought to be banished and seen as barbaric by now?

the great sociologist deepzone, i greet you.

so how are female children more productive than male ones?
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by KarmaMod(f): 7:41pm On Nov 19, 2008
DeepZone:

U are a witch hunter molesting children undecided

Rofl grin
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by Abagworo(m): 7:46pm On Nov 19, 2008
from the Jewish,Mohammedan and Christian point of view,male seem to be dominant.this does not however hold in traditional africa.in igbo speaking area for example,the ada has a whole lot of respect even more than males.in some parts of igboland, there exists matrilineal societies.precisely eastern igbo in present abia state.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by bawomolo(m): 7:49pm On Nov 19, 2008
Abagworo:

from the Jewish,Mohammedan and Christian point of view,male seem to be dominant.this does not however hold in traditional africa.in igbo speaking area for example,the ada has a whole lot of respect even more than males.in some parts of igboland, there exists matrilineal societies.precisely eastern igbo in present abia state.

that's a generalization considering igbo age grades and age sets were male dominated. marilineal societies such as the igbo and swahili didn't practice matriachy. the eldest male in an extended family was seen as head of the clan.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by DeepZone: 12:19am On Nov 20, 2008
Simple: The man does not change his last name so the father knows his name will continue to exist.

The female child on the other hand gets married and starts bearing the husband's name - and this is the prayer of every parent. (who cares if they add their maiden name to their husband's name?)
Many women keep their family name and refuse to change theirs to their husbands name. So that reason is kaput.

This is one of the major reasons - and I also know a lot of white men who truly want male kids, or have you ever heard of a female US president? well maybe almost, but not yet!
Who told you this BS?
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by DeepZone: 12:20am On Nov 20, 2008
When did Igbos or any other tribe in Nigeria start matrilineal culture? Are you telling me that some igbos answer their mothers name instead of their fathers last names?
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by DeepZone: 12:22am On Nov 20, 2008
bawomolo:

the great sociologist deepzone, i greet you.

so how are female children more productive than male ones?

Count your teeth na. How many women are area boys/girls or almajiris in Nigeria?.  40% of males in Nigeria are on the streets compared to 2% of females.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by osisi6(f): 1:49am On Nov 20, 2008
DeepZone:

Most races and tribes value male children above female children and in Nigeria it's probably all Nigerian ethnic groups.
Deepzone not to worry,your folks have a man and a woman rolled up in one lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by KarmaMod(f): 1:57am On Nov 20, 2008
DeepZone:

Count your teeth na. How many women are area boys/girls or almajiris in Nigeria?.  40% of males in Nigeria are on the streets compared to 2% of females.

That's cos they are too busy in the cars of aristos.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by bawomolo(m): 2:01am On Nov 20, 2008
KarmaMod:

That's because they are too busy in the cars of aristos.

hahaha classic grin
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by DeepZone: 3:06am On Nov 20, 2008
KarmaMod:

That's because they are too busy in the cars of aristos.

grin grin No be only car.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by DeepZone: 3:08am On Nov 20, 2008
*osisi:

Most races and tribes value male children above female children and in Nigeria it's probably all Nigerian ethnic groups.
Deepzone not to worry,your folks have a man and a woman rolled up in one lipsrsealed
Why? It ought to have stopped by now. Why should my parents value a dic.khead over me?
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by ChinenyeN(m): 4:51am On Nov 20, 2008
To be honest, I don't think it's about valuing males over females. I think it's about valuing males a certain way and females a certain way. It may look as if it's about valuing males more than females because valuing males is more outwardly expressed than valuing females, but I don't think it is because males are more valued than females. If anything, I'd say that overall, the females are more valued than males, but that's just me.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by osisi6(f): 4:55am On Nov 20, 2008
ChinenyeN:

To be honest, I don't think it's about valuing males over females. I think it's about valuing males a certain way and females a certain way. It may look as if it's about valuing males more than females because valuing males is more outwardly expressed than valuing females, but I don't think it is because males are more valued than females. If you were to ask me though, I'd say that overall, the females are more valued than males, but that's just me.

You don't know Nigerian and African culture then.
Do you know how many wives that've been abandoned and a new wife brought in because they only bore females?I know a few
do you know how many husbands that have impregnated random women looking for male sons? I know some
do you know how many women that have upwards of 5 daughters and keep trying just to have a son.I know several
some have died in childbirth looking for a son after being blessed with females.I know a few.

Next to being Childless/barren,bearing only female children is the next taboo in that stupid thing we call culture

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by DeepZone: 5:00am On Nov 20, 2008
*osisi:

You don't know Nigerian and African culture then.
Do you know how many wives that've been abandoned and a new wife brought in because they only bore females?I know a few
do you know how many husbands that have impregnated random women looking for male sons? I know some
do you know how many women that have upwards of 5 daughters and keep trying just to have a son.I know several
some have died in childbirth looking for a son after being blessed with females.I know a few.

Next to being Childless/barren,bearing only female children is the next taboo in that stupid thing we call culture

Who is to blame here? The men or the women?. I think the women are to blame because if they did not give men the allowance to do this shit, they will stop trying it. Women need to stand up and say no to foolish practices like this. The sex of a child is determined by the man and not the woman and if somebody should be leaving, it should be the man that should be kicked to the curb.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by ChinenyeN(m): 5:06am On Nov 20, 2008
Well, I don't know what to say other than what I truly know. Even with everything you just said osisi, if I really look at it, it only seems that males are valued a certain way and for certain reasons, not that they are more valuable than females. The most likely reason being lineage. That's usually the main purpose for wanting to give birth to a son. That doesn't make males more valuable than females. Then again, I'm only saying what I'm familiar with, and I'm really only familiar with Igbo culture.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by KarmaMod(f): 5:45pm On Nov 20, 2008
And I'm really only familiar with Igbo culture.

I believe osisi is as well
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by ChinenyeN(m): 8:22pm On Nov 20, 2008
I don't doubt that, KarmaMod.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by queenTG(f): 12:21pm On Mar 24, 2009
ikeyman na u d mad let me ask u guys if all children born are boys na dogs femal they will married not same girl u dont accept .u all crazy tongue
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by iReport: 2:47pm On Mar 24, 2009
ikeyman na u d mad let me ask u guys if all children born are boys na dogs femal they will married not same girl u dont accept .u all crazy
grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by queenTG(f): 1:48pm On Mar 29, 2009
Deepzone are u leasten to ourself u will blamed the woman because she is GOD to give u what u want(son) isn't u are go and look for it cheating u got a son u go sun tongue
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by AloyEmeka9: 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2009
khai  menini  wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by biina: 7:50pm On Apr 01, 2009
DeepZone:

Who is to blame here? The men or the women?. I think the women are to blame because if they did not give men the allowance to do this shit, they will stop trying it. Women need to stand up and say no to foolish practices like this. The sex of a child is determined by the man and not the woman and if somebody should be leaving, it should be the man that should be kicked to the curb.
Not entirely true. 

The sex determining chromosome pair is XY for male and XX for female. During meiosis (production of f sex gametes -sperm cells and ova), the chromosome is split into two. The ova always carries  an X chromosome (from XX) while the sperm is X or Y in 50:50 ratio (since each original cell has an XY that splits into a X and a Y). A sperm and an ovum will later combine to form the new baby. Hence, theoretically, the man determines the sex of the baby and the chance of having a boy or a girl is 50:50.

Unfortunately the process of combination is not necessarily equitable, as several factors affect which of the sperm gets to be lucky. The Y chromosome bearing sperm (which would result in a boy) is thought to be more fragile when compared to the X counterpart and hence dies more easily. So the time in the woman's monthly cycle that sex happens could affect the sex of the child, as also the amount of time that the sperm spends waiting in the testicles. Also certain women are thought to secrete hormones that are harmful to one sex of sperm hereby tilting the table in favor of the other i.e. you could have a woman who is unaccommodating to Y bearing sperms.

All this being said, only a single sperm is needed to form a baby, and thus while the odds might be stacked against a particular gender, it does not bar the unlikely from occurring.
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by otele(m): 5:37pm On Apr 02, 2009
i believe the igbo culture values both genders. we value men because the are so important in the society for strength, protection, family name etc. hence the names ikenna, ahanna, obinna etc, were manufactured by our ancestors

also we value females so much for their productivity, family upbringing, beauty, softness, and of course strength too. that is why our ancestors manufactured the name nneka . . you cant beat that name inour culture wink , adaobi, adanna, ezinne etc. and we value women so much that we dont want them to suffer, hence our forefathers manufactured the name obiageli, adaure etc grin

we value both genders, we even created names that can be used for both genders such as uche, nkem etc . if an igbo man has 4 kids, all boys, most likely he'll wish for a girl, and vice versa cool
Re: Nigerian Male Value Culture by otele(m): 5:39pm On Apr 02, 2009
names mean a lot in igbo culture never mind my user name grin. my grandpa used to teach me a lot of those when i was much younger. he used to give me books by chinua achebe to read and understand the igbo society better

(1) (Reply)

Tell Me About Your Culture? What Do We Have In Common? / Meet The Koma Poeple Of Adamawa State Where Women Don't Wear Cloths / Item Day[pictures]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.