Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:52 PM

What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? (1500 Views)

All The Applicants Failed This Interview Question. (please Help Out) / Emfrica/greater Washington Air-cargo Logistics : Applicants Come In Here!! / First Bank Applicants,what's Your I.d's. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? by insidifyguru: 9:48am On Oct 27, 2014
Good morning Nairalanders,trust you had a beautiful weekend?

Can you respond to the question above in 30secs?
Ever gone for an interview and got asked the question above? Or have you ever found yourself in any situation where you needed to respond to the question of why should people listen to you instead of the other guy?

Job-seekers are jumping over themselves in the search for a job.
If we get you a job, right now, do you think you can handle it? Why? What do you think you have that other job-seekers don't?

This simple exercise is necessary because this is not the kind of question that you trust to your gut instincts, it is the kind of question that you would have asked yourself and provided an answer to long before it is required of you.

So,again,I ask you,what makes you different?

Let's hear your responses in the comments section. Have a beautiful day and week. #Insidify
Re: What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? by petengine(m): 2:15pm On Oct 04, 2015
insidifyguru:
Good morning Nairalanders,trust you had a beautiful weekend?

Can you respond to the question above in 30secs?
Ever gone for an interview and got asked the question above? Or have you ever found yourself in any situation where you needed to respond to the question of why should people listen to you instead of the other guy?

Job-seekers are jumping over themselves in the search for a job.
If we get you a job, right now, do you think you can handle it? Why? What do you think you have that other job-seekers don't?

This simple exercise is necessary because this is not the kind of question that you trust to your gut instincts, it is the kind of question that you would have asked yourself and provided an answer to long before it is required of you.

So,again,I ask you,what makes you different?

Let's hear your responses in the comments section. Have a beautiful day and week. #Insidify

example 1.
"This position is for a quality assurance manager, I'm confident I'm the best person for this job because of my past experience. At ABC Software Company, I was in charge of a team that was responsible for the quality of three different applications. I have intimate knowledge of quality assurance, product support, and even some creative processes that will benefit a quality assurance team. I've built a team from scratch and fully understand the product development cycle. Finally, one of my traits is in developing and mentoring junior employees. I believe in transferring knowledge to everyone in the company and investing a little more effort into the people who work for me. So I strongly believe that I'll be the best candidate due to the combination of my experience, my managerial skills, and my desire to provide growth in employees."

example 2.
"I can not say much about other applicants as regarding this job but the reason I applied for this position is because the qualifications matched my strengths perfectly. I'm good at juggling multiple tasks, I'm very detail oriented, and I organize my time very efficiently. But the truth is that many applicants have these traits. But if I were in your position, I would hire myself because of the passion I have for this industry, and my optimistic personality. My education background and my strengths show that I can do this job. But I want to make more of an impact than just doing my job. I don't want to blend in with the company, I would rather want my addition to improve it."

The first answer is using experience and skills to convince the interviewer to hire him or her. In addition to talking about past experiences, this example also emphasizes the strong ability to mentor people. The second example is more on the personal level and definitely more creative. Every other applicants will claim to have all the good traits. So this candidate says it by saying, "... the truth is that many applicants have these traits." On top of these traits, this candidate is including passion and excitement. This is very important during interviews. Finally, the last sentence is a good line that the interviewer will remember. It is creative and bold.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? by Gherrokid(m): 3:26pm On Oct 04, 2015
@ petengine, your responses are exexcellent. Are you a HR manager? undecided
Thanks for the contribution.
Re: What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? by petengine(m): 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2015
Gherrokid:
@ petengine, your responses are exexcellent. Are you a HR manager? undecided
Thanks for the contribution.
Thanks for your kind words. I'm not an HR manager, I'm a recent engineering graduate awaiting NYSC next year at the same time seeking for for internship opportunity.
Re: What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? by funkyglitz: 11:18pm On Oct 04, 2015
Nice one but just note you can't use a word to describe the same word for instance on ur quality assurance example you said something like you were able to maintain the "quality" of 3 softwares
Re: What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? by petengine(m): 12:51am On Oct 05, 2015
funkyglitz:
Nice one but just note you can't use a word to describe the same word for instance on ur quality assurance example you said something like you were able to maintain the "quality" of 3 softwares
there are two diff things there, "quality assurance manager" is the position applied for and the word "quality" like u have quoted tells your interviewer about the similar job u handled in the past that matches the job position applied for. for instance, say you are applying for a drilling position in an oil company. I believe is ok to say:
"This position is for a drilling engineer, I'm confident I'm the best person for this job because of my past experience. At ABC Drilling Company, I was in charge of a team that was responsible for the drilling of three different oil wells in Niger Delta." pls let me know if I'm still wrong? am also learning on this! thanks for your input.
Re: What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? by funkyglitz: 7:07am On Oct 05, 2015
Am not here to argue with u but just my simple candid opinion cos I hv bin in dat position before and all am tryin to say is that wat u described as having done as a quality assurance is not wat the job entails ad am definitely sure u hvnt done dat role anyways lyk I said "is just my opinion" and finally your answers to a question all comes down to the interviewers ,for instance I went 4 an interview ad was asked abt salary pay,ad goin 2ru dis job interview question,I tld dem 2 pay acc 2 der salary structure and the nxt guy dat went was like he stated sm amt, so I didn't mk it den in anoda interview I was asked d same tin,this time I arnd I told dem I would reli lyk 2 earn more dan my last salary...d guy was impressed he was like am the only one that said smth dat odas refuse statin amt...so just stick 2 ur gut durin interviews it hlps
Re: What Makes You Different From Other Applicants? by petengine(m): 8:17am On Oct 05, 2015
funkyglitz:
Am not here to argue with u but just my simple candid opinion cos I hv bin in dat position before and all am tryin to say is that wat u described as having done as a quality assurance is not wat the job entails ad am definitely sure u hvnt done dat role anyways lyk I said "is just my opinion" and finally your answers to a question all comes down to the interviewers ,for instance I went 4 an interview ad was asked abt salary pay,ad goin 2ru dis job interview question,I tld dem 2 pay acc 2 der salary structure and the nxt guy dat went was like he stated sm amt, so I didn't mk it den in anoda interview I was asked d same tin,this time I arnd I told dem I would reli lyk 2 earn more dan my last salary...d guy was impressed he was like am the only one that said smth dat odas refuse statin amt...so just stick 2 ur gut durin interviews it hlps
noted. thanks for your contributions

(1) (Reply)

Puzzle For Job Interview / CWAY Group Is Recruiting Sales Managers / Please How Do I Answer This In An Interview.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.