Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You (1552 Views)

Creating Jobs, Plans B And Getting Rich Through Aimglobal!!!! / The 9 People In Your Life Keeping You From Getting Rich / The Science Of Getting Rich (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by Giftedgreen: 10:25am On Oct 27, 2014
Forget what you know, being rich is awesome, being rich feels good, and most importantly being rich is exhilarating.

Riches give you the luxury of not worrying about money anymore. You can spend money and not worry about the cost of everyday items.

But is there a dark side to having money; are the downsides of being rich?

Read on and let us know if you agree with us or not

1. There Will Still Be Some Expenses That You Cannot Afford

No matter how much you own, there are things that you surely will not be able to afford. Sure you can buy most things that an average Nigerian is unable to afford but you surely cannot everything you want in life.

You might own the latest car, but next week you would want your helicopter, when you finally buy a helicopter, you would wish for a private jet, you are able to afford a private jet and you want to. . . Well we have a feeling you know where this is going.

2. You Are Not Allowed To Complain About Money

The first downside of being rich is that you are not allowed to complain about money. Everybody has his ups and downs, which do not include rich people (at least the way most people see it). There are moments when you go broke and saying you are broke would seem ultra strange to some people and downright insulting to others.

Being rich is viewed as living in paradise and complaining about money is a taboo when you do it. You lose the ability to have human needs or frustrations in public. But, you are still a human being, and most people won’t see you as one.

3. You Can’t Differentiate Friends From Foe

When you are rich, almost everybody you meet wants something from you, this makes it really hard to differentiate an ally from an enemy. When someone is nice to you, you start to think if it is because they like you or because they want something from you.

This is worse when you are single, good luck trying to figure out whether your next partner is in love with you or your money.

4. People Don’t Appreciate What You Do For Them

Friends and family would have unbelievably high expectations from you. When they collect loans from you, they become reluctant to pay, and most times they don’t pay because you are obviously super rich.

When you give them gifts, they won’t appreciate it because they were expecting something ludicrously unrealistic. If you don’t pay for the bill during a meal, you may seem as stingy.

Most times they expect you to just throw money their way for the littlest of reasons.

They become easily disappointed when you do meet their unrealistic expectations.

5. You Are Constantly Scared Of Losing All Your Money

You are going to live in constant fear of everything you own. The more money you have, the more the fear.

You will stay awake at night, wondering if you made the right decision. What if you lose it all? Where will you begin from? What becomes of your friends? How will your family fend?

Let’s put this succinctly, being rich is like climbing a ladder, the more money you own the higher you climb. The higher your climb; the more the pain when you fall

6. You No Longer Appreciate The Things You Own

The things you’ve always wanted won’t mean so much to you anymore.

Remember your excitement when you bought your first car? Buy the time you buy your tenth car, you would literally feel little or no excitement. The food from that fancy restaurant that you were unable to afford starts to taste like crap because you’ve eaten there so many times; it is now boring to eat there.

You are always looking towards the next big thing, the next level up. You have to reset your expectations all the time and everything that level doest get you quite as exited anymore.

7. You Might Start Searching For Happiness In Weird Places

Most people are raised to believe that when they have more money, life would be better and they would ultimately be forever happy. Then they get rich and they realise that money does not bring happiness, this fact alone can throw them into a serious life crisis.

They start looking for happiness in weird places, and before you know it you are involved into something illegal just for the thrill, the temporary happiness it brings.

People who know true happiness usually maintain perspective and stay grounded. This is the group of people who do not equate happiness with what you have vs what you do not have.

8. Your Children Might Not Learn The Value Of Money.

They might feel like they don’t have to work for or worry about money, because they grew up in such a comfortable environment. Although they will have the ambition to know they “should be” working hard, they might not develop the qualities needed to succeed like you did.

This might explain why some rich people do not splash money on their children.

9. You Don’t Know What To Do Next

A old proverb says “When a fool sees success, he will laugh until he forgets himself. But when a wise man sees success, he will laugh for a while, stop and ask himself what next”

Most people use money as their motivation to work hard. Once they reach that goal, they are at a loss for what else to do.

Some people become lost, with nothing else to do.

10. You Learn That Money Doesn’t Change Your Internal Mindset

Jay Z once said, “You can pay for school but you can’t buy class”

If you are a horrible person, chances are that money will not make you a better person. Money does not make you a happier person and neither will it make you a nicer person.

Becoming a better person comes from within not the other way round.

Conclusion

If you’re not happy now, you won’t be happy because of money.

Whether you’re rich or not, make your life what you want it to be, and don’t use money as an excuse. Go out there, get involved, be active, pursue your passion, and make a difference.

What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comment section below

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/10/27/10-downsides-of-getting-rich-no-one-ever-tells-you/

4 Likes

Re: 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by Omexonomy: 11:16am On Oct 27, 2014
How i wish our greedy politicians will come accross this pieac.

1 Like

Re: 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by zappyj(m): 6:23pm On Oct 27, 2014
After all the disadvantages in this article.. I still won't been fucking wealthy.

Money answereth all things.. d network na express oo bro.. no console urself

1 Like

Re: 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by tspun(m): 9:16pm On Oct 27, 2014
damm i love this post, it was as if someone was wisppering them on my ear.

them say ''who no go nor know'' i have being poor and now i am rich, i can tell the difference, so believe me when i say the OP is RIGHT.

1 Like

Re: 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by justi4jesu(f): 9:53am On Oct 28, 2014
Nice write up. Kudos Op.

1 Like

Re: 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by virtual7(m): 10:06am On Oct 28, 2014
Op tanx for the post but i still want to be damn rich

1 Like

Re: 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by dking123: 11:57am On Oct 28, 2014
Thanks OP but i prefer the downsides of being rich to the downsides of being poor.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 28, 2014
poverty no gud o, na him make me join dis biznes--julius agu(osuofia)
Re: 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 28, 2014
very good article but trust me the downsides of getting poor is worst than earthquake..grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Downsides Of Getting Rich No One Ever Tells You by guyANDROID1: 3:56pm On Oct 28, 2014
This world we live in is two way, which is;

You either Get Rich OR Die Tryin'

Thanks Op but i still prefer the downside of getting damn rich than the sweet side of getting poor grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Scams Nairalanders Should Take Note Of / Available Cranes For Sale / Creating Wealth Through ''sleeping'' Assets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.