Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,861 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong (1672 Views)

WAEC's Response To NGO Seeking To Sponsor Best Students / Why Ants Bites / Why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants? A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by SMALLPENIS(f): 1:50pm On Oct 27, 2014
Deejacy2 created a thread on why ants carry the body of their dead here: www.nairaland.com/1967049/why-ants-carry-bodies-fellow , well she is correct to some extent but it's not because of instinct that they want to dispose of the dead members of their colonies in middens (ant cemetery). this is the reason why;

To the naked eye, ants deal with their dead much like humans. When a
member of the colony dies, the carcass will lie where it fell for a period
of roughly two days. In the fashion of a wake, this time period
presumably gives the other ants time to pay their respects to their fallen
comrade. After two days, the living ants take the dead ant to an ant
graveyard in a respectful procession, honoring the good work it
performed for the colony.

Well, not quite. The carcass does lie there for two days and it is carted
off to a pile of dead ants. But this isn’t done out of social obligations or
as a healing ritual to soften the loss. As Harvard entomologist Edward O.
Wilson discovered, in reality, the dead ant must lay there for two days
because the other ants simply don’t realize it is dead. undecided

Two days after death, the tiny ant corpse begins emitting a chemical
called oleic acid. To an ant, the smell of oleic acid equals death. The
experience of death is not a sense of loss, not a dead body, not an ascent
to ant afterlife- it is simply oleic acid. As soon as the living ants smell
the oleic acid smell, they spring into action, carrying the tiny decaying
intruder out of their midst and dumping it into the pile. sad

Even more interesting, Wilson discovered that if you give a live ant a
bath in oleic acid, it is as good as dead to the other ants. The still alive
(but oleic acid covered) ant is carried off to the dead ant pile, trying to
clean itself, flailing around, perhaps screaming “um, hey guys, I’m fine,”
to no avail. If you smell like a corpse, sorry little buddy, you’re a corpse.
Into the pile with you grin

SOURCE: www.orderofthegooddeath.com/on-the-death-rituals-of-ants

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by silverluci(f): 1:57pm On Oct 27, 2014
If this is really true, can I have the link to the site you got this from? Or is Dr. Wilson your Uncle?
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by Truth24(m): 2:51pm On Oct 27, 2014
Mmmmmm......Some people have time Sha ooo

1 Like

Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 27, 2014
SMALLPENIS:
Deejacy2 created a thread on why ants carry the body of their dead here: www.nairaland.com/1967049/why-ants-carry-bodies-fellow , well she is correct to some extent but it's not because of instinct that they want to dispose of the dead members of their colonies in middens (ant cemetery). this is the reason why;

To the naked eye, ants deal with their dead much like humans. When a
member of the colony dies, the carcass will lie where it fell for a period
of roughly two days. In the fashion of a wake, this time period
presumably gives the other ants time to pay their respects to their fallen
comrade. After two days, the living ants take the dead ant to an ant
graveyard in a respectful procession, honoring the good work it
performed for the colony.

Well, not quite. The carcass does lie there for two days and it is carted
off to a pile of dead ants. But this isn’t done out of social obligations or
as a healing ritual to soften the loss. As Harvard entomologist Edward O.
Wilson discovered, in reality, the dead ant must lay there for two days
because the other ants simply don’t realize it is dead. undecided

Two days after death, the tiny ant corpse begins emitting a chemical
called oleic acid. To an ant, the smell of oleic acid equals death. The
experience of death is not a sense of loss, not a dead body, not an ascent
to ant afterlife- it is simply oleic acid. As soon as the living ants smell
the oleic acid smell, they spring into action, carrying the tiny decaying
intruder out of their midst and dumping it into the pile. sad

Even more interesting, Wilson discovered that if you give a live ant a
bath in oleic acid, it is as good as dead to the other ants. The still alive
(but oleic acid covered) ant is carried off to the dead ant pile, trying to
clean itself, flailing around, perhaps screaming “um, hey guys, I’m fine,”
to no avail. If you smell lik e a corpse, sorry little buddy, you’re a corpse.
Into the pile with you grin

SOURCE: www.orderofthegooddeath.com/on-the-death-rituals-of-ants
Ok Thanks so much for letting me know.
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by darnley16(m): 5:12pm On Oct 27, 2014
Deejacy2:
Ok Thanks so much for letting me know.
yes my dear no knowledge is a waste, unlike the previous people who commented above , with absolutly nothin to gain from or learn from, by the way you said you carried out this experiment and researched you self?, well I must say u really are a jewel of information, keep it up, both you n the OP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by Exjoker(m): 5:55pm On Oct 27, 2014
Commendable article.
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by Franchise21(m): 6:08pm On Oct 27, 2014
Nice piece of work I must confess
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by Sparrow13: 6:43pm On Oct 27, 2014
darnley16:
yes my dear no knowledge is a waste, unlike the previous people who commented above , with absolutly nothin to gain from or learn from, by the way you said you carried out this experiment and researched you self?, well I must say u really are a jewel of information, keep it up, both you n the OP
was she refering to you ?
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by darnley16(m): 6:47pm On Oct 27, 2014
Sparrow13:
was she refering to you ?
was I referring to you?
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by Adesam09(m): 6:49pm On Oct 27, 2014
nice
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 8:10pm On Oct 27, 2014
love this.,.....nairaland...... a place to learn.......thanks to you op and deejaycy2

1 Like

Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by Pimples(m): 11:42pm On Oct 27, 2014
Wow. That's a new piece of knowledge.
Meanwhile, A man went to Church last Sunday and gave testimony that he was infected with ebola and God had healed him.
When he had finished, he tried to give the mic to the 2nd man but the 2ND Man refused to take it:

2ND MAN- I have no testimony. Give it to Pastor.

PASTOR- I'm not in charge of testimonies so give it to the Senior Pastor.

SENIOR PASTOR- Brother in Christ, the mic is yours. It's a gift from the Church. You may take it home.
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by Nobody: 1:12am On Oct 28, 2014
First time SMALLPENIS is having sense!
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by silverluci(f): 9:00am On Oct 28, 2014
darnley16:

Some people don't know how to talk sha. So simply asking for the link to the site where he/she got this fact from means I haven't gained anything at all? *shakes head* please op, i'll still need that link.

It's always good to acknowledge your source! angry
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 21, 2015
Cool...
Re: Response To 'why Ants Carry The Bodies Of Their Fellow Dead Ants' Is Wrong by sylve11: 11:12am On Aug 20, 2023
Pimples:
Wow. That's a new piece of knowledge.
Meanwhile, A man went to Church last Sunday and gave testimony that he was infected with ebola and God had healed him.
When he had finished, he tried to give the mic to the 2nd man but the 2ND Man refused to take it:

2ND MAN- I have no testimony. Give it to Pastor.

PASTOR- I'm not in charge of testimonies so give it to the Senior Pastor.

SENIOR PASTOR- Brother in Christ, the mic is yours. It's a gift from the Church. You may take it home.

😆 cool

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Print Jamb Admission Letter From Jamb Site / (PART 1) Photos Of All Faculties And Places In Unilorin By Olamide Fabanwo / PHYSICS: Topic "Capacitor And Capacitance."

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.