Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,830 members, 7,802,653 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:21 PM

Radial Engines - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Radial Engines (3732 Views)

Motorcycles With V8 Engines / Why V8 Engines Are Better Than V6 Engines / What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radial Engines by Nobody: 11:49pm On Oct 27, 2014
Radial engines are most commonly found in airplanes and was primarily designed for use in aircrafts.

Of late some creative designers have been installing them in cars and motorcycles.

This goes to show that you should never assume you know what is powering a car until you have looked under the hood.

Re: Radial Engines by Nobody: 11:51pm On Oct 27, 2014
Adjusting the valves is sure to be an all day affair.
Re: Radial Engines by lonelydora: 12:03am On Oct 28, 2014
CityNG:
Adjusting the valves is sure to be an all day affair.

That is ehh, e no go easy.
Re: Radial Engines by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:27am On Oct 28, 2014
CityNG:
Radial engines are most commonly found in airplanes and was primarily designed for use in aircrafts.

Of late some creative designers have been installing them in cars and motorcycles.

This goes to show that you should never assume you know what is powering a car until you have looked under the hood .

You don't have to look too hard seems they have a problem fitting it all under the hood grin. For the first pic how does the designer balance the weight to keep it from tipping?
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmB38eMPdaTC5HS1MGhriTlcwNu_O6iHM2f4UEDs1T0tGHYbDh_hjk067z[/img] some designers are really creative ill get there some day. CityNG you really know how to bring out some interesting automtive info cool
Re: Radial Engines by Homguy(m): 3:57pm On Oct 28, 2014
I just read more about the radial engine. First time am seeing it. My questions, are those spokes cylinders? cause if the are, I can only imagine the power produced. Secondly, I noticed all radial engines are positioned longitudinally, is there a specific reason why? That article I read didn't answer these questions,...
Re: Radial Engines by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 28, 2014
Homguy:
I just read more about the radial engine. First time am seeing it. My questions, are those spokes cylinders? cause if the are, I can only imagine the power produced. Secondly, I noticed all radial engines are positioned longitudinally, is there a specific reason why? That article I read didn't answer these questions,...

Thank you for taking the time to read up on this. I respond well to people that expands their minds and try to learn new things.

1) Do you mean arranged in a spokes like manner around a wheel? There's a saying common to hot rodders, "no replacement for displacement". This basically means that a bigger engine (in terms of cubic inches) is always better than a small engine even with supercharging. So when you have up to 16 cylinders then you have a lot of cubic inches.

2) Space. You can fit as many cylinders in a little bit of space. Just think of how long an inline 16 cylinder engine would be grin
Re: Radial Engines by Homguy(m): 12:52am On Nov 01, 2014
Just thought somebody might want to see this... Really complex IMO relative to a crankshaft http://m.youtube.com/?reload=2&rdm=1b04hj1g1#/results?q=how%20a%20radial%20engine%20works%2Ccutaway%20in%20motion%20&sm=3

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need You Guys To Put Me Through Of These Car I Can Buy / Which Car Did You Learn How To Drive With? / Kia Rio Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.