Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,500 members, 7,801,310 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Systematic Posting of new Topics Based on Events - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Systematic Posting of new Topics Based on Events (3681 Views)

FRSC: Outrage Over Posting Of Married Officers / How Do Post New Topics From My Blog? Please Help Me. / Where Is Nairaland's "New Topics" Section? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Systematic Posting of new Topics Based on Events by Seun(m): 3:56pm On May 10, 2005
Hello,

One of the ways to make sure a website has consistent traffic (direct traffic from existing users) is to post in a consistent, systematic way. A very good example is a news website that's updated once a day, so that every morning when you go there there's something new for you (that's one reason why news websites are so popular)

I do not think that, for a forum, it's reasonable to arbitrarily set a rule for number of new topics a day. It is not nice to have a forum cluttered with dry (boring) threads that were started just to maintain a minimum number of new topics for the day. A better approach is to monitor popular events that take place periodically and make sure that there is a thread for each occurence of that event.

Once we are able to guarantee a certsin number of new topics per week due to events we have chosen to cover, we can sit back and rely on our fast-growing population of users to spice up the forum by introducing a random, unscheduled, variety of new topics of their own.

I have created this thread so you can suggest periodic events (events that take X times a year, X times a month, etc) that are popular enough to be fully covered on the forum.

Seun.

1 Like

Re: Systematic Posting of new Topics Based on Events by Seun(m): 4:40pm On May 10, 2005
The forum should keep track of Nigerian and International public holidays.

Public Holidays Officially Recognized in Nigeria:
January 1 - New Year’s Day.
Mid January - Eid al-kabir
Mid April - Eid al-maloud
Mid-April - Easter: Good Friday and Easter Monday
May 1 - Workers’ Day.
October 1 - Independencel Day.
Tail-October - Eid al-Fitr (End of Ramadan).
Dec 25-26 Christmas day and Boxing day.

International Holidays we Unofficially Recognize:
February 14 - Valentine's Day
April 1 - April Fool's Day
Mid May - Mother's Day
Mid June - Father's Day
8 march - International Women's Day

Some Christian/Catholic holidays
Mid April - Lent
April, May, or June - Pentecost

For More Information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday
Re: Systematic Posting of new Topics Based on Events by solo2(m): 11:49am On May 11, 2005
Seun, I think you did not include the Democracy Day, May 29. or is it not officially recognise?
Re: Systematic Posting of new Topics Based on Events by Seun(m): 12:05pm On May 11, 2005
Based on Solo2's Suggestion, we can also observe:
'June 12' - Anniversary of the 1993 election annulment
'Democracy Day', May 29 - anniversary of the swearing in of the current president.

We can observe all widely accepted "days" even if they are not recognized as public holidays.
Re: Systematic Posting of new Topics Based on Events by solo2(m): 8:51am On May 22, 2005
I think it is nice, we observe these days, because Historical events took place that particular day.
Re: Systematic Posting of new Topics Based on Events by delarontus(f): 6:42pm On May 22, 2005
Strikes and fuel increase
Re: Systematic Posting of new Topics Based on Events by allormout: 3:36pm On Feb 06, 2011
Вы уже выбрали себе косметику. Если нет,смотреть здесь

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Taken When You Were a Child / Nude Photos Of Nigeria Girls / 419eaters, Have Turn 419ers To Mugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.