Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,155 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:18 AM

Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars (18904 Views)

Presidency Votes N3.6bn For BMW Cars In Budget 2016 / My Take On Stella Oduah's Fake MBA Degree - Femi Fani-kayode / NCAA Can’t Find Documents On Oduah's N255M Armoured BMW Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by inteli: 10:42pm On Oct 28, 2014
A Federal High Court sitting Lagos has struck out the Freedom of Information suit filed by the incorporated trustees of the Media Right Agenda (MRA), demanding information about the controversial armoured BMW cars purchased for former minister, Stella Oduah, when she was in office.

MRA had filed the action seeking to compel the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) and the Attorney-General of the Federation to disclose information on the procurement of the controversial BMW cars bought for former Aviation Minister, Princess Stella Oduah.

MRA had sought a relief to the effect that the failure and or refusal of NCAA to disclose or make available to the applicants the information requested in their letter dated October 21, 2013 amounts to violation of applicants’ right to access to information established and guaranteed by section 1(1) and section 4(a) of the Freedom of Information Act 2011.

The letter had requested for NCAA’s annual budget, the public procurement plans, procurement record for the purchase of two BMW 760 LI vehicles, evidence of advertisements to that effect, a list of bids tendered, copies of bid evaluation meetings, pro forma invoice of those documents as well as documents showing delivery of procured vehicles among other things.

They insisted that the information requested for, apart from not being exempted from disclosure under the FOI Act, bothers on an issue of national interest, public concern, social justice, good governance, transparency and accountability.

The NCAA, in its objections, said that the applicants did not meet up with certain condition precedent before instituting an action against the respondents. He also argued that the FOI applications failed to issue the 30 days notice required by section 24(2) of the Civil Aviation Act 2006 among other objections. He then urged the court to strike out the suit for lack of jurisdiction.

Justice Ibrahim Buba, in his decision, ruled that the information requested went outside the contemplation of the Freedom of Information Act.

He also held that the requested information is a published material that falls under the exception stated in section 26(a) of the Freedom of Information Act and that the budgetary allocation for the referred procurement process was contained in the 2013 budget of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
http://www.channelstv.com/2014/10/27/court-dismisses-foi-request-on-stella-oduahs-bmw-cars/

1 Like

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by noblealuu: 10:52pm On Oct 28, 2014
There's no gainsaying that Jonathan's administration is corruption-friendly. Such financial recklessness has always been treated with kid gloves so I was not taken aback!

But not for the fear of the unknown as shrouded by the much talked about alleged islamization of Nigeria, Buhari would do this country much good as he has the temerity and audacity to fight corruption for which GEJ's regime has fought 'abysmally' if not left in the doldrums.

Let's am mistaken for anti-Ibo, I'm a bona fide son of Ibo land and I dnt condone any self-aggrandizement from these-so called polithicians who are painstakingly milking this country dry.

The voice of the people, is the voice of God!

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by GoodluckJonatan: 6:28am On Oct 29, 2014
angry

1 Like

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 29, 2014
Hmmm...aren't these reasons Anti-FOI?(national interest, public concern, social justice, good governance, transparency and accountability')

6 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by Donsammi(m): 6:28am On Oct 29, 2014
ok o0h... datz n0ne of my biz!
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by QMark: 6:28am On Oct 29, 2014
This case still dey since?

Donsammi:

Let's just pretend that it's your keyboard that doesn't know the difference between letter "o" and number "0",....and not you.

16 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by GoodluckJonatan: 6:29am On Oct 29, 2014
angry corruption till 2019

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by dotna(m): 6:29am On Oct 29, 2014
Someone has to be driving these bmw so it does not waste away. I'm sure Madam S can take care of them very well. So ride on
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by MuguliciousMUGU: 6:29am On Oct 29, 2014
Who is stella oduah again, i thought she was sacked for "hand of God" story, bribery and corruption, stealing, criminal activities, misuse of funds, diverting public funds into her private account
Infact she suppose to be quarantined... Her case is beyond my powers as a chief judge...

6 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by ramje(m): 6:29am On Oct 29, 2014
Ok
FP things....
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by sammieguze(m): 6:30am On Oct 29, 2014
Money don change hand

1 Like

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by Youngzedd(m): 6:30am On Oct 29, 2014
Okk
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by Muthola(m): 6:30am On Oct 29, 2014
K
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by eleko1: 6:31am On Oct 29, 2014
M
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by eleko1: 6:31am On Oct 29, 2014
sad
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by smudge2079(m): 6:32am On Oct 29, 2014
I stand to be corrected. Even Late Chief SAN, Dictator Abacha led administration will envy d level of corruption in dis present government. GEJ till 2015.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by ichidodo: 6:32am On Oct 29, 2014
Very daft complainants,tis better they focus their attention on the sleaze of Lagos State Government instead of Airports carparks..

9 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by richardjemedafe1(m): 6:32am On Oct 29, 2014
Yt
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by Damalex4luv(m): 6:33am On Oct 29, 2014
Why won't the court do that when my Oga @ the top is still on the sit of power...
Fresh air till 2015
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by drkay(m): 6:34am On Oct 29, 2014
I thought the issues is no more making rave.
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by LMAyedun(m): 6:34am On Oct 29, 2014
Donsammi:
You shouldn't make a comment then.

3 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by OchukoisBlack(m): 6:34am On Oct 29, 2014
Why exactly was this FOI bill signed into law cos I can't see it's usefulness when requests for information is always being rejected.

12 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by njuwo(m): 6:34am On Oct 29, 2014
smiley
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by Donsammi(m): 6:35am On Oct 29, 2014
LMAyedun:
You shouldn't make a comment then.
evry0ne is entitled to his 0pini0n br0da! ... Dem0cracy ni
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by Nobody: 6:37am On Oct 29, 2014
the type of judicial system we practice in Nigeria baffle me. Anything can be right or wrong, depending on who is involved.

4 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by S3un(m): 6:38am On Oct 29, 2014
wetin concern me with d car?? dem go dash me 1??
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by markzy: 6:39am On Oct 29, 2014
:-Xwe are in a nation where sincerity is an arrow shot in d dark. Help us Jah
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by godsveryown(f): 6:40am On Oct 29, 2014
Cheiii
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by esshman(m): 6:42am On Oct 29, 2014
The rate at which corruption cases are buried ehn …

2 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by babdap: 6:44am On Oct 29, 2014
Story for the gods
Re: Court Dismisses FOI Request On Stella Oduah’s BMW Cars by Innodon(m): 6:44am On Oct 29, 2014
Still on top this matter?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Crisis: Govs Back Down As Buhari Supports Oshiomhole / Gunmen Hide Under Biafra Agitation To Kill In South-east – Army / Sen Lalong Said He Is Confused Whether To Remain A Minister Or Go Back To Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.