Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,574 members, 7,801,638 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! (22263 Views)

Opinion: The Boy-child Should Not Be Domestically-inclined Primarily / LOCK Your Spouse UP! A Cure For Domestically-Violent Partners!!! / Boy-child or Girl-child, does it matter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by smudge2079(m): 5:03pm On Nov 20, 2014
Definitely. It can neva be over emphasized.

1 Like

Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 20, 2014
tmosco:
Most guys knows hw 2 cook bt just chose not 2.talking of boys I agree dey shud learn hw to cook and d girls should learn hw to wash cars and turn on d gen,4 does like me dat av bushes in my house dey can learn hw to cut grass.No more differential housework for kids.grin

No biggy..

I wash dad's car, I can put on the gen(with key or without)

I can cut grass(did at boarding school) I can paint, I can do a little bit of carpentry work

.. They are all survival skills at least they saw me tru during my service year!

2 Likes

Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by weber042(m): 5:05pm On Nov 20, 2014
I lik it wen youths talk more of their stigma. In my school, I gain a lot because I can cook very well,most guys bring their food stuff 4 me 2 help them in cooking. I gain respect nd favour each tym I visit my big bros, uncles nd family friends because I help a lot in hauz chores. The ratio shld b 50:50.

2 Likes

Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by bosun11(m): 5:06pm On Nov 20, 2014
Both sexes should be trained domestically, that is all i have got to say

2 Likes

Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by msmon(m): 5:06pm On Nov 20, 2014
Before nko,

There are some domestic work I could do that you can't do. Yes, I dare u.

nomabeeee:
I learnt how to do a lot of domestic work while I was growing up..if you will agree with me,mothers are only concerned about their girl-child being domestically inclined. They teach their girl-child probably because they feel knowing or doing domestic work is meant for just the female..

I personally don't agree to the fact that domestic work is meant for only the female..I think mothers should also teach their boy-child domestic work too..if you can teach your girl how to sweep,clean,cook,do the dishes and laundry then your boy should also learn that as well..it goes a long way..

The importance of the boy-child being domestically inclined is that when he grows up,he stands on his own.That knowledge helps him take care of his personal needs not to go about looking for someone to do it for him..this is my opinion...
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Krisddon: 5:07pm On Nov 20, 2014
Here in United States of Kafanchan, machines undertake house chores for us.
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 20, 2014
Krisddon:
Here in United States of Kafanchan, machines undertake house chores for us.

All??
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Abiolainfo: 5:10pm On Nov 20, 2014
Godmother:
My younger brother is a good cook; can cook beans, yam, make eba and stew. The only problem is that he puts grounded pepper in his stew grin. My mum made sure she never treated him any differently while growing up and this has helped him to be a sensible and considerate young man.

Story For The Gods, he will also be a good housemaid I guess tongue
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Blueboy146(m): 5:10pm On Nov 20, 2014
here in amsterdam,,,, we aint tryna do shit... i mean shet! datz why we have home appliances
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by creamy1990(f): 5:11pm On Nov 20, 2014
I learnt how to cook from my dad,he cooked our meal wen mum took ill,just imagin life for us den if he hadn't learn how to cook.I remember how much I use to grind pepper on a grinding stone under his supervision wen I was young and thnk God his own mother tought him. He doesn't even wait for any of us to come home b4 he prepares his food wen he's hungry,we cnt even shakara him with food.

1 Like

Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by stinggy(m): 5:11pm On Nov 20, 2014
CoCoLav:
Of course!. The first time I asked my brother to help me pound crayfish, he gave me this disgusted look like 'am I a girl'. By the time I finished with him ehn, now he will come by himself to ask me if there's anything I will like him to do. He is now a pro at pounding afang.

See what you've turned a nigga to. Not fair sad angry
What does he stand to gain with the experience?

3 Likes

Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Threeaces(f): 5:13pm On Nov 20, 2014
eleojo23:
You're correct. I learnt how to do most of the house chores before my sisters. Cooking, washing my siblings clothes, etc. I did all of that and still do whenever I'm at our family house (minus the clothe washing 'cos we are all grown up now). Back then, my mum even preferred my cooking to my sisters'.
I also learnt how to bake cakes and make doughnuts from my mum because I was her 'assistant' whenever she did it then.

Now that I'm on my own, I don't have problem managing myself. I go to the market to buy food stuffs and do the cooking (I don't like eating out).
I wake up early to make my breakfast (not just bread and tea!) before leaving for work by 7.30am.

Please, marry me?
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 20, 2014
i don't think i mind doing housework per say but unfortunately as a child whenever i was asked to sweep all i ever heard was "you're not doing it well!!"

going forward though, i may not fancy the idea of having a maid or house-help at least not in the early stages of marriage so somehow she and i will find a way to share the housework. its really not a big deal at all in my opinion
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Blueboy146(m): 5:17pm On Nov 20, 2014
Threeaces:

Please, marry me?

do you worth the care are you a virgin??
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by kendrick93(m): 5:17pm On Nov 20, 2014
weber042:
I lik it wen youths talk more of their stigma. In my school, I gain a lot because I can cook very well,most guys bring their food stuff 4 me 2 help them in cooking. I gain respect nd favour each tym I visit my big bros, uncles nd family friends because I help a lot in hauz chores. The ratio shld b 50:50.
no it shouldn't be 50-50
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by buoye1(m): 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2014
Yes i agree cos i'm,and its really helpful now!i can do al ma chores nd cukin without itches
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Krisddon: 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2014
carefreewannabe:

All??
Yes all but we go to car-wash to take our bath. smiley
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2014
To me its OK for a guy to know how to do house chores but I would hate if he knows how to cook very much...such a huge turn off.
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by herald9: 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2014
Cooking and household chores?

These are normal things to me....Even when I go for a visit... Step mum always surrender the pots to megrin

Was exposed to cooking at a very tender age....Since I'm the first born and dad was single...

So tell me why I shouldn't juggle the pots with perfectiongrin
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by ayeesha: 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2014
[quote author=eleojo23 post=27540153]You're correct. I learnt how to do most of the house chores before my sisters. Cooking, washing my siblings clothes, etc. I did all of that and still do whenever I'm at our family house (minus the clothe washing 'cos we are all grown up now). Back then, my mum even preferred my cooking to my sisters'.
I also learnt how to bake cakes and make doughnuts from my mum because I was her 'assistant' whenever she did it then.

Now that I'm on my own, I don't have problem managing myself. I go to the market to buy food stuffs and do the cooking (I don't like eating out).
I wake up early to make my breakfast (not just bread and tea!) before leaving for work by 7.30am.

nago kocho omaye mi. I trust ami iye wa. My brothers are just like you. No woman can do shakara for them both in the kitchen and when it comes to domestic work. Will do same with my boys when i eventually have any by the grace of God. Im totally for the male child learning alongside the girl child. No partiality!
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Matthewbriggs(m): 5:19pm On Nov 20, 2014
nomabeeee:
I dnt quite angree with u..any man who learnt how to do domestic chores frm childhood would get used to it and also won't forget it neither will he get tired of It..except he has a busy job that won't allow him do it or a wife.meanwhile i talked about teaching a boy child not forcing..they are two diFferent things..when you teach,there is joy but when you force..you alrdy know the result..thanks

I disagree ...I grew up knowing how to do domestic work. In fact I was even a house boy for a family when I was young. Handling all the domestic task. It is one experience I am realy proud of.

But today even to cook indomie for myself is punishment talk less of washing my cloths. I pay people to do that stuff. Yes I can do them and occasionally do them but I do not have the time or the passion for domestic work. I see it as a waste of my productive time. I have so much on plate to to consider domestic work.

If I marry a wife that loves domestic work great ... If she doesn't I would not mind paying for such service. The only clause is she alone will still be responsible for what we eat. The paid professional help can take care of the rest.

Moreover I would teach my kids domestic work. Whether they use it or not is up to them.
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Appswheel(m): 5:21pm On Nov 20, 2014
Not a bad idea
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by MNDY(m): 5:21pm On Nov 20, 2014
kreamidiva:
Imagine a 28 year old man asking his mum "am i even supposed to know how to turn on the gas?" angry

Before nko? The boy-child should be given the "life of hustle" orientation by the dad ideally! You wouldn't want a boy-child whom you groom with house chores and later becomes afraid to face the real life out there (the hustle life) for men!
------------------
Women (should) hustle too but relatively on a low scale, life has been crafted in a way that the men are specially given the larger chunk of the hustle task!
------------------
At teenage, a vast majority of young dudes realize this and brace up for it! An average dude is bereft of doing chores or domestic works even for his own personal bachelor gain and rather gets out there chasing the money till his toes bleed!
------------------
His room dirty, he himself looking unkept, dirty nails, smelly mouth! All because "no time" and in the words of Davido's new song, "owo ni koko" meaning "money is the in-thing."
------------------
On the whole, the OP who posted this topic already knew the response to this topic and just posted it!
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by herald9: 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2014
CoCoLav:
Of course!. The first time I asked my brother to help me pound crayfish, he gave me this disgusted look like 'am I a girl'. By the time I finished with him ehn, now he will come by himself to ask me if there's anything I will like him to do. He is now a pro at pounding afang.

well donegrin
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 20, 2014
Normal Thing In My Family!

#sipping garri and coconut #
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by deennest: 5:23pm On Nov 20, 2014
gidjah:
HABA AUNTY!stop messin up d men(not d boys)!my dad is a great cook,he influenced my cooking skills alot.i am now a full blown fine man wit a familly,my sweety no fit do of any shakara wit cooking at all,when they r away, i do my thing.i hav not bin to a restaurant for about 15 years now!thats my principle,No eating outside,DO YOUR COOKING YOUR SELF!EVEN WHEN AM OFF TO WORK ,I COOK MY FOOD.my staff (married& d likes)would be like...mr MiKe na wa for you o!bla bla bla bla non sense non sense!.. but trust me now,its has become a culture and ritual wit me,and it has helped me in saving a great deal people

You neva chop for restaurant for about 15yrs!!! nah nah... u dont work in lagos!!! grin grin

Restaurant; where it's almost the only means to get regular meals
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by cosmos4242: 5:26pm On Nov 20, 2014
I think cooking should nt be left for only females, I growth up with my mum, and wen I was coming up she told me am felling this nw as a punishments bt I ll understand it later, she taught me Hw to cook encase if I marry and if tell my wife to cook for me and she filling some Hw I should go to kitchen and make cooking and bring it to her, and to honestly it help me a lot, I can do my cooking without waiting for my woman, I think the work should nt be only leave for woman, I rest my cases.

Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by CANTICLES: 5:26pm On Nov 20, 2014
I see no reason why a man should not know how τ̅o do household chores, ezpecially cooking .....

. My Mum makes sure we know those things, OR how do I help my future wife with cooking or other things when she is sick or tired , if I don't know those things ??
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Blueboy146(m): 5:31pm On Nov 20, 2014
[quote
author=cosmos4242 post=28194917]I think cooking should nt be left for
only females, I growth up with my mum, and wen I was coming up she told
me am felling this nw as a punishments bt I ll understand it later, she
taught me Hw to cook encase if I marry and if tell my wife to cook for
me and she filling some Hw I should go to kitchen and make cooking and
bring it to her, and to honestly it help me a lot, I can do my cooking
without waiting for my woman, I think the work should nt be only leave
for woman, I rest my cases.[/quote]

why the pix na you nor fine reach seun
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by GlorifiedTunde(m): 5:31pm On Nov 20, 2014
nomabeeee:
I learnt how to do a lot of domestic work while I was growing up..if you will agree with me,mothers are only concerned about their girl-child being domestically inclined. They teach their girl-child probably because they feel knowing or doing domestic work is meant for just the female..

I personally don't agree to the fact that domestic work is meant for only the female..I think mothers should also teach their boy-child domestic work too..if you can teach your girl how to sweep,clean,cook,do the dishes and laundry then your boy should also learn that as well..it goes a long way..

The importance of the boy-child being domestically inclined is that when he grows up,he stands on his own.That knowledge helps him take care of his personal needs not to go about looking for someone to do it for him..this is my opinion...

Kai! This is very important.

I never really cooked while young. I had three sisters who did the cooking. But I did dishes, went to market a lot.

Sometimes its not that mothers forbid it, its just that while the ladies are in the kitchen, the boy child is either running errands or some man job assigned by the dad.

I remember being the one who goes out to grind the pepper most. I also am the one who goes to the market. But u wasn't allowed to cook. I however paid attention to the necessary ones like rice and beans grin

1 Like

Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by danbrowndmf(m): 5:31pm On Nov 20, 2014
[quote
author=moca post=27563380]I blame mothers.
How can u train ur boy/gal child differently?

And all those fathers that will mount seat siddon for palour while mumsi
is slaving away in d kitchen being a good wife, una never jam.
Una marry mary amaka cos there is no way only me will be slaving away
and u will be doing nothing. U get two heads.

Enter kitchen with r wifey let ur boy learn from u. Enough of this
yeyecious mentality joor![/quote] see has dis one don dy condemn men,u know go marry first b4 u select sef.sad
Re: The Boy-child Should Also Be Domestically Inclined!!! by Lexusgs430: 5:32pm On Nov 20, 2014
My children(male and females), equally share in the chores in my household, from hoovering,plate washing, room tidying,bed making etc etc
And has they mature in age, chores like car washing, understanding kitchen appliances and their uses etc etc, would also be included.
Not also forgetting, easy around the house DIY stuffs !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? / Why Do Women Generally Want More Kids? / Mother In Law Wants My 2.5 Year Old To Sleepover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.