Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,442 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Oh! My Knee Hurts... What Could Be Wrong? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Oh! My Knee Hurts... What Could Be Wrong? (1095 Views)

Please Help..i Feel So Much Weakness In My Knee Joint / Special Magnetic Knee Belt For Treatment Of Arthritis / Pain On My Knee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Oh! My Knee Hurts... What Could Be Wrong? by Orthodocng: 6:13am On Oct 29, 2014
OH!!! MY KNEE HURTS!! WHAT COULD BE WRONG?

Knee pain is one of the most common musculoskeletal complaints that brings people to their doctor. With today's increasingly active society, the number of knee problems is increasing. Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments.

It could vary from mild to severe pain and can be very disabling and distressing to the patient.

The common causes include

Injury leading to damage to ligaments ,cartilage,meniscus (shock absorbers)inside the joint.

Arthritis is also an important factor in knee pain The commonest in our country is osteoarthritis,others include rheumatoid arthritis,gouty arthritis etc.

Bursitis can also cause knee pain these are bags around the knee that can become inflamed and very painful leg prepatellar bursitis, infrapatellar bursitis etc

Other causes of knee pain include recurrent patella dislocation,loose bodies in the knee, Osgood schlatters disease.

What to do if you have knee pain?
The treatment depends on if the knee pain is of recent onset(acute) or has been going on for a longer duration (chronic).

Some measures for acute knee pain are summed up as RICE.
R-rest, I- ice, C- compression, E- elevation

Home treatment may help relieve pain, swelling, and stiffness.
• Rest and protect an injured or sore area. Stop, change, or take a break from any activity that may be causing your pain or soreness. When resting, place a small pillow under your knee
• Ice will reduce pain and swelling. Apply ice or cold packs immediately to prevent or minimize swelling. Apply the ice or cold pack for 10 to 20 minutes, 3 or more times a day.
o For the first 48 hours after an injury, avoid things that might increase swelling, such as hot showers, hot tubs, hot packs, or alcoholic beverages.
o After 48 to 72 hours, if swelling is gone, apply heat and begin gentle exercise with the aid of moist heat to help restore and maintain flexibility. Some experts recommend alternating between heat and cold treatments.
• Compression, or wrapping the injured or sore area with an elastic bandage (such as an Ace wrap), will help decrease swelling.
o Don't wrap it too tightly, since this can cause more swelling below the affected area. Loosen the bandage if it gets too tight. Signs that the bandage is too tight include numbness, tingling, increased pain, coolness, or swelling in the area below the bandage.
o Don't expect the bandage to protect or stabilize a knee injury.
o Talk to your doctor if you think you need to use a wrap for longer than 48 to 72 hours. A more serious problem may be present.
• Elevate the injured or sore area on pillows while applying ice and anytime you are sitting or lying down. Try to keep the area at or above the level of your heart to help minimize swelling.
• Reduce stress on your sore knee (until you can get advice from your doctor):
o Use a cane or crutch in the hand opposite your painful knee.
o Use two crutches, keeping weight off the leg with the sore knee. You can get canes or crutches from most pharmacies. Crutches are recommended if a cane causes you to walk with a limp.
• Gently massage or rub the area to relieve pain and encourage bloodflow. Do not massage the injured area if it causes pain.

• Avoid high-impact exercise, such as running, skiing, snowboarding, or playing tennis, football and basket ball until your knee is no longer painful or swollen.

If your pain persists then it is time to visit your doctor who will examine you properly to find out what could be causing the pain..
For chronic pain( weeks or months). See your doctor who will examine you and conduct a proper diagnostic evaluation.
http://doctorsalami.com/

(1) (Reply)

This Cartarrh Is Killing Me, Help ! / My Lips Is Getting Black / Anambra On Fire As Army Men Allegedly Inject School Pupil With Monkeypox Virus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.