Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,090 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males (2952 Views)

The Tall Dark Skinned Married Yoruba Guy! / My Boyfriend Is Tall, Dark And Handsome! Short Guys Stay Off. / Whats So Special About Tall, Dark And Handsome Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by tpia6: 9:28am On Oct 29, 2014
In africa where almost everyone is one shade of dark or another, its silly to keep parroting tall dark and handsome when referring to a black man.

Please refer to your cultural standards of beauty in this regard.

Traditionally, tall is not one of them, neither is dark and neither is handsome ( unless you are a nilotic).

Let us not be more european than the whites plz.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by iceberylin(m): 12:27pm On Oct 29, 2014
incase grin
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Tallesty1(m): 12:32pm On Oct 29, 2014
See teeth
iceberylin:
incase grin
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by iceberylin(m): 12:34pm On Oct 29, 2014
Tallesty1:
See teeth
şo ƒŗoşђ wink
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by amakufrancis(m): 12:44pm On Oct 29, 2014
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by radiant3(f): 1:06pm On Oct 29, 2014
@op,wht is d cultural standard of beauty if I may ask
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2014
LOL .....great topic....I scream this in my head everytime I see "Tall, Dark and Hansome" on Nairaland. it's for white guys! the "Dark" ... it means a well tanned white guy, not a black man.
The use of those words everywhere on NL unnerves me a lot... maybe 'cause I'm not so dark. embarassed
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2014
I don't know where they got that "tall, dark and handsome" from, probably too much "mills and boons" and harlequin novels.
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 29, 2014
tpia6:
In africa where almost everyone is one shade of dark or another, its silly to keep parroting tall dark and handsome when referring to a black man.

Traditionally, tall is not one of them, neither is dark and neither is handsome ( unless you are a nilotic).

Nice thread. A lot of Nigerian girls are ignorant about the concept. My white girlfriends use the 'dark' to refer to dark hair rather than blonde or coloured. It has nothing to do with skin.

When I first heard it on NL, I was like but hundreds of African guys have dark hair...

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by passionate88: 1:38pm On Oct 29, 2014
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by passionate88: 1:39pm On Oct 29, 2014
Swagalord18:
LOL .....great topic....I scream this in my head everytime I see "Tall, Dark and Hansome" on Nairaland. it's for white guys! the "Dark" ... it means a well tanned white guy, not a black man.
The use of those words everywhere on NL unnerves me a lot... maybe 'cause I'm not so dark. embarassed
Me too. Especially the "TALL" angryangryangry
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Rapsainot(m): 1:50pm On Oct 29, 2014
undecided
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by tobiboss(m): 2:21pm On Oct 29, 2014
Nice thread
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by solomonbrown64: 2:43pm On Oct 29, 2014
...Abeg, tel them oh......peeps dont find out why .....dey just apply ......Smh
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by tpia6: 2:50pm On Oct 29, 2014
hifaif:

Nice thread. A lot of Nigerian girls are ignorant about the concept. My white girlfriends use the 'dark' to refer to dark hair rather than blonde or coloured. It has nothing to do with skin.

When I first heard it on NL, I was like but hundreds of African guys have dark hair...

Dark in white terminology is not the same as african standards for a man.

We measure manliness by other things besides looks.

Except maybe the nilotics could be an exception since they're normally quite tall and very dark.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by tpia6: 2:52pm On Oct 29, 2014
chinziaski:
I don't know where they got that "tall, dark and handsome" from, probably too much "mills and boons" and harlequin novels.

True.

Maybe they superimposed that image of the tall dark and handsome white male, and transferred it to blacks.

Still sounds silly though, in such a context.
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by tpia6: 2:54pm On Oct 29, 2014
radiant3:
@op,wht is d cultural standard of beauty if I may ask

Cultural standards of beauty according to region.
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 29, 2014
tpia6:

True.

Maybe they superimposed that image of the tall dark and handsome white male, and transferred it to blacks.

Still sounds silly though.

Its very silly, I just feel with time they'll outgrow it. But these days, we still see ladies in their late 20's still fantacizing abt it.
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Tymax(m): 3:02pm On Oct 29, 2014
3cycle. Come here o!

1 Like

Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by tpia6: 3:03pm On Oct 29, 2014
Most ladies probably wouldn't outgrow such until they start getting rather anxious about marriage and less unrealistic about males.

Until then, they want that mysterious stranger with the swag , arrogance, devil may care attitude and deep pockets who will sweep them off their feet with his manly swagger.

Just like the mills and boon and harlequin romances.

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2014
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by NaMe4: 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2014
tpia6:

grin grin grin

I have always laughed whenever such statements were made in our own clime.
The idea of tall, dark and handsome conceived in the west (by caucasians), originally referred to white men with a dark shade to their complexion. Eg George Clooney, Sean Connery.

But trust black man! E go copy pass the original sef!

Even African mixed-race individuals are referred to as dark by default!
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by ERCROSS(m): 3:23pm On Oct 29, 2014
No mind dem..
It's becoming their pledge anthem..
Tall , dark and handsome..
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by nickz(m): 3:24pm On Oct 29, 2014
VickyyB:
this one don lostgringringringrin
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by tpia6: 3:25pm On Oct 29, 2014
In africa, you don't marry by rote, since life is not comfortable enough for you to be cherry picking male partners by appearances alone. That's a western thing.

As an african, your situation is what you're supposed to look at when searching for a partner ( situation does not routinely mean money), and this was what families considered before hooking themselves up in marriage.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 29, 2014
so tall dark and hand some is white thing cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 29, 2014
nickz:
this one don lostgringringringrin

lol. The op writeup is incomprehensible.

The he/she is pained. sadsad grin
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Mprex(f): 3:37pm On Oct 29, 2014
The short fair and ugly ones will be coming here to console themselves. cheesy
*blocks face incase of bashing*

TALL, DARK AND HANDSOME. tongue
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 29, 2014
I guess ours in Nigeria is a tall,god faring,rich,kind,not selfish,from a good home guy,dat s the dream Nigerian male.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Fkhalifa(m): 3:44pm On Oct 29, 2014
This tall dark and handsome of a thing has so spread to d extent that you ill have to ask why?
i believe our ladies just follow whats trending on town,cos mycoli wants tdh gracie also want cycle etc and spreads round cos they don't wana b seen as weird or outdated for chosen differently

only few have a mind of their own same with guys to.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by Ejerry(m): 3:53pm On Oct 29, 2014
I dnt get it.....if a blck African male is tall n handsome....what do I call that?...tall, dark n handsome I suppose; mean how do they, d ladies differentiate a tall dark skind guy from a tall light skind one na? guy....abegi.....d whites hav thr own context n we hav ours...d fact we borrowed it from them doesn't make it meaningless in our context. Dats what I think sha.
Re: Ladies, The Terms Tall Dark And Handsome Originally Referred To White Males by nickz(m): 4:15pm On Oct 29, 2014
VickyyB:

lol. The op writeup is incomprehensible.

The he/she is pained. sadsad grin
lipsrsealed pained about what??
i can see her point clearly thotongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

How You Overcame a Sexual Temptation: Lets Hear Your Testimonies / How To Use Pillow... / If You Have Only One Day To Live In This Earth, What Will You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.