Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,257 members, 7,780,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:23 PM

Read This Before You Hire A Nigerian To Build A Website For You - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Read This Before You Hire A Nigerian To Build A Website For You (909 Views)

Muhammadu Nuhu-Koko: 'I Control Over N200Billion But Can’t Build A House' / Should You Hire An Overqualified Candidate? / Who Would You Hire: Mr Nice Or Mr Ruthless? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Read This Before You Hire A Nigerian To Build A Website For You by ediko5(m): 4:32pm On Oct 29, 2014
Web Development is a highly intellectual professional and hence should be an expensive profession because of the high professional involved. Due to advanced technologies that have given rise to free website design & blogging tools, so many quacks who knows absolutely nothing about web development have turned web design (not development) to be a child’s play.

People have been confused when they here Web Design And Development. Some take both of them to mean the same thing.

Web Development: Involves building/developing/coding a website (usually from scratch) by a web developer with the required web development/programming languages for a particular website. This is what I may call “Original Version of Web Design”. Up to 70% of Nigerians who parade themselves as web designers knows absolutely nothing about Web Development.

Web Designing: Designing does not mean development or building. Web design may involve modifying & adding contents to an already built website template or theme [ This is what is used by about 70% percent of Nigerian web designers] and hence the reason many Nigerians charge peanuts for web design since they don’t know the skills and stress involved in developing a website.

Most of these web designers have zero knowledge beginner’s web development language like HTML & CSS , and people like these uses Custom Management System like WordPress & Joomla to build a website using themes built by other people some which are free or paid. All they have to do is to modify the theme and put in their contents where needed.

Others have slight knowledge about HTML and CSS knowledge and download either free or premium templates and use it to build a website for their clients.

WHO SHOULD I HIRE TO BUILD MY WEBSITE?
The answer is “A Professional Web Developer” and (not just “a web designer” because they are so many out there ). Web developer usually build custom websites that meets your exact demand while the other quacks will try to modify someone’s template/theme to meet your need.

HOW DO I KNOW A PROFESSIONAL WEB DEVELOPER ?
When you want to own a website insist on a custom website development. Here you can even use your pen and draw out the pattern of website you need to be built and also which features will be included and insist on getting the exact pattern.
Also if the website is say an eCommerce or membership website, insist that you will see the job step by step, i.e you want to see the designed website first before the person proceeds with the database development.

FINALLY
Custom web development is not cheap. ecommerce website for example if coded from scratch by one person can take up to One Month because of the work involved and this is the best option, so don’t expect that someone will spend 100 hours on your job and get a cheap amount of money. If you need standard eCommerce website, your budget should be from 70k up.
Re: Read This Before You Hire A Nigerian To Build A Website For You by ediko5(m): 3:46pm On Oct 30, 2014
Imagine what cheap price for a website can cause.

I read this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1901056/scam-alert-involving-web-designer and i discovered that this web designer charged his client 10k for web design using ready mage theme or template but the client ended up demanding for custom web development which is far beyond the agreed amount and when the web designer could not meet the client's need, the client ended up calling him a fraudster.

(1) (Reply)

Heritage Bank Introduces Portable Pos Machines / Tender Opportunity At Shell Petroleum Nigeria / Someone Please Help AD DYNAMO ISSUE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.