Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,766 members, 7,802,343 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years (12777 Views)

Ex-egyptian President, Morsi Jailed 20 Years / How Did A White Man Become President In Zambia!!! / Number Of British Muslims Will Double To 5.5m In 20 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by ArtanK(m): 4:32pm On Oct 29, 2014
(Reuters) - Zambia's Guy Scott became Africa's first white head of state in 20 years on Wednesday after the president, "King Cobra" Michael Sata, died in a London hospital aged 77.

Scott, a Cambridge-educated economist born to Scottish parents, had been Sata's vice president. He will be interim leader until an election in three months, making him the first white African leader since South Africa's F.W. de Klerk lost to Nelson Mandela in the 1994 election that ended apartheid.

Scott, 70, is ineligible to run for the presidency in the election because of citizenship restrictions, leaving defense minister Edgar Lungu and finance minister Alexander Chikwanda the most likely contenders for the ruling Patriotic Front party's ticket, analysts say.

"Elections for the office of president will take place within 90 days. In the interim I am acting president," Scott said in a brief televised address.

"The period of national mourning will start today. We will miss our beloved president and comrade."

Many Zambians welcomed Scott's interim appointment.

Scott is a lively character who has caused diplomatic controversy in the past, describing South Africans as "backward" in an interview with Britain's Guardian newspaper last year. "I like a lot of South Africans but they really think they're the bees' knees and actually they've been the cause of so much trouble in this part of the world," he said.

"He is a black man in a white man’s skin," said Nathan Phiri, a bus driver. "The very fact we accepted him as vice-president shows that we consider him as one of us."

Sata, who was nicknamed "King Cobra" because of his sharp tongue, died on Tuesday, the government said earlier. He had been president of Zambia, Africa's second-largest copper producer, since 2011.

The cause of death was not immediately disclosed, but Sata had been ill for some time. He was at London's King Edward VII hospital when he died, the website Zambian Watchdog reported.

"As you are aware, the president was receiving medical attention in London," cabinet secretary Roland Msiska announced on state television. "The head of state passed away on October 28. President Sata's demise is deeply regretted."

"DIVISIVE FIGURE"

Sata, whose populist platform included defending workers' rights, was often fiercely critical of the foreign mining companies operating in Zambia's copper belt. Analysts said his death could prompt a rise in investment in the country.

"President Sata has been a divisive figure for Zambia on the economic front, espousing increasingly authoritarian and ad hoc policy measures against the crucial mining sector in recent years, which has hampered investment," South African consultancy ETM said.

"The president's passing could make way for a more reformist administration and help to remove broader policy uncertainties."

Sata, whose varied CV included stints as a policeman, car assembly worker, trade unionist and platform sweeper at London's Victoria station, had left Zambia on Oct. 19 for medical treatment, accompanied by his wife and family members.

Defense Minister Lungu, secretary general of Sata's Patriotic Front party, had to lead celebrations last week of the 50th anniversary of Zambia's independence from Britain.

Concern over Sata's health had been mounting since June, when he disappeared from the public eye without explanation and was then reported to be receiving medical treatment in Israel.

He missed a scheduled speech at the U.N. General Assembly in September amid reports that he had fallen ill in his New York hotel. A few days before that, he had attended the opening of parliament in Lusaka, joking: "I am not dead."

It was a typically no-nonsense denial from a politician not known for diplomatic niceties.

"I haven't bloody lost so don't waste my time," he barked at a BBC reporter in 2008 after results showed he had indeed lost an election to his main rival, Rupiah Banda, by a narrow margin.

His nationalist, anti-Chinese rhetoric finally helped him oust Banda in a 2011 election.

A year ago, he threatened to remove the mining license of Konkola Copper mines (VED.L), Zambia's biggest private employer, because of plans to lay off 1,500 workers. During the row, the company's foreign chief executive had his work permit revoked.

The Zambian kwacha ZMW= fell 2 percent against the dollar after Sata's death was announced. Traders said it was unlikely to suffer any prolonged weakness because of the underlying health of an economy expected to grow 7 percent this year.

"Obviously, there will be a sentimental temptation to go long on dollars, but I'm also quite confident the central bank will do everything it can to protect the currency," one Lusaka-based trader said.

"In terms of the economy, everything should still be on track."

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/29/us-zambia-sata-idUSKBN0II06S20141029
Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by jujutom(m): 4:36pm On Oct 29, 2014
Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by Mayydayy(m): 4:44pm On Oct 29, 2014
you van call me colonial whatever you want but i wish this man can contest.
Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by adamskutty(m): 4:53pm On Oct 29, 2014
Interesting
Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by gatiano(m): 5:50pm On Oct 29, 2014
No wonder GOD had to come himself. the blackman has lost everything about his makeup. Zambians wanted to be civilized like their colonial masters, by making a caucasian vice, they had no idea that the caucasian is an excellent trickster. like i wrote in my earliest post about the death of the president that he was killed. in one of nigerian parables " the witch cried yesterday, the child died today, who can claim that it was not the crying witch that killed the child?
Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by gatiano(m): 6:36pm On Oct 29, 2014
Why are you so quick to abusing and calling names you have no idea about? you are one of many who think that the whiteman or white government have your or our best interest at heart. you are just deaf, blind, and dumb. You have not the slightliest clue of what this people are, how can i blame you, you were not taught history properly and concretely. you think colonization entered africa by invasion, just a little lesson for you, the caucasian has never before militarily invaded any black nation, they don't have the ability to do so even today. the only way they do that is by getting close to us and winning our trust, once that is done, they get in positions of power and that is it, like it happened in 1555, a man name john hawkins had lived within us for 40 years, before he deceived your forefathers in slavery within illusional promises. most of our forefathers that were colonized here in africa went thru suffering too digging mines, after which they must be raped in their asses. do you think they have changed or sorry for what they did? no for a second.

and finally, when you read a comment that you dislike, its best you lay out your opinions and explain, that won't make me change my opinion about them until you give a concrete reason why i should. stop loving your enemy! he will drag you straight to hell.
Sagamite:

You are a cretinous fuuktard!

You need your daft brain smashed into smithereens.

2 Likes

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by morpheus24: 6:43pm On Oct 29, 2014
90 day head of state much like Ernest Shonekan in Nigeria's history.

Can't do much within that time frame so practically irrelevant if you ask me.

1 Like

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by gatiano(m): 9:37pm On Oct 29, 2014
there you go again, like "fuuktard" is a new word you just came across. my education is not sound, ok. you seem to have a better, quality education starting every of your opinion with "fuuktard", lecture me on what good your white/colonial masters has brought on the blackman, and if i can't defend your claim or refute it, i'll hold on to my shame and keep shut.

You are right on the fact that our black leaders don't or may not have their country's interest at heart, most are like you dancing to the whiteman's music. and the few that are honest and willing to do the little they can are either removed or killed by the whiteman obviously with the help of people like you. people like you would like the whiteman to feed him, cloth him, provide him jobs, etc, that is why you seem to be ok with the situation.

Zambia is just north of Zimbabwe, and people with enough air in their brain could suspect what that means.

African americans call people like you house negro, you with a better education, educated by the whiteman, what did we call you in africa? olodo wey talk oyinbo pass the english man.

lecture me right, and i will bow out if you comments or opinions are conclusive.

Sagamite:

You are a cretinouds fuuktard!

AHHH!

You learnt History, did you say? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Conjectures are "learning history in the failed education system". grin grin grin grin grin grin

While we are in the mode, fuuktard, please tell us:

So you blacks have their best interest at heart, fuuktard?

Do you blacks even have each other's self-interest at heart?

3 Likes

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by panafrican(m): 10:07pm On Oct 29, 2014
The White man is back. Is he going to sell the land to his ancestors cheesy
Here it is : The YES and the NO
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29826790
Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by gatiano(m): 10:11pm On Oct 29, 2014
you obviously aren't paying attention in your school, i made a statement, you called yourself fuuktard, tell me why my statement or comment is shortcoming or wrong. olodo buruku.

i don't know why where i studied history is of any importance to the discussion. i'm not a student of history. i take my time to know my grandfather and their fathers and yours too well. now instead of typing what you don't know, teach me or point out to where i'm wrong and quit acting like a fuuktard.
Sagamite:

You want to run from my questions? grin grin grin grin grin

What claims did I make that you are asking me to defend, fuuktard? grin grin grin grin grin

Cretin, tell us (from what you learnt in history):

3 Likes

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by gatiano(m): 10:21pm On Oct 29, 2014
enjoy urself, learn how to address people properly. we can't be here going to and fro when our roofs are leaking. if you know, teach is what i asked.
Sagamite:

Were you not the one that said I was not taught history properly and concretely? grin grin grin grin grin

Now I am giving your moronic arsse the platform to tish mi Hissry you are now running like a chicken escaping death. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Cretin, tell us (from what you learnt in history):

3 Likes

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 29, 2014
The white men ruled Nigeria from 1897 to 1960 (63 years) and in that period, they built not one power plant, not one expressway, not one general hospital, and not one university.

Chew on that for a second before begging them to return and rule over you.. I mean, if a black govt had that shocking record of inaction, you would be screaming for them NOT to ever rule. So why would you want whites to rule you, with such a record of total uselessness in Nigeria? Only an ignorant, slave-minded buffoon with zero historical knowledge can suggest a return to colonial rule.

2 Likes

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by panafrican(m): 11:18pm On Oct 29, 2014
Sagamite:

Fuuktard, why do you think he would sell the land to his ancestors?
sagamite you are still here with your same rethoric?
it is an open question, do you get it, Mister slow ?

1 Like

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by panafrican(m): 11:21pm On Oct 29, 2014
ROSSIKE:
The white men ruled Nigeria from 1897 to 1960 (63 years) and in that period, they built not one power plant, not one expressway, not one general hospital, and not one university.

It is called ripping OFF a continent. They sucked our blood!
Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by igbo2011(m): 11:49pm On Oct 29, 2014
panafrican:

It is called ripping OFF a continent. They sucked our blood!

They still are in control. It's called Neocolonialism

This is How France maintains 14 African countries…:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YT6cotv0YU

1 Like

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by morpheus24: 11:50pm On Oct 29, 2014
Sagamite:

Fuuktard, why do you think he would sell the land to his ancestors?

You usually judge a people by their past history and actions.

2 Likes

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by morpheus24: 8:10pm On Nov 03, 2014
Sagamite:

So going by your philosophy, it is perfectly okay to judge black people as barbaric, dumb, low-level thinking, heartless, incompetent, hungry, dimwitted bunch of illiterates that are incapable of ruling themselves in a civilised way, incapable of selecting good leaders and are the dumbest race out of all races on Earth, all they know how to do is to dance

All those adjectives for black people are inconclusive seeing that you can find individual black people today who are the exact opposite of each and everyone of the stated adjectives.

Seeing that the system of White supremacy still exists, it is quite logical to infer that ALL WHITE PEOPLE as a collective are bad since they still benefit greatly from the past and continued legacy of this system.

but then again trying to convince an UNCLE TOM of this is like beating your head against a stone wall.

I am not in the mood for senseless bleeding.

2 Likes

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by Sagamite(m): 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
gatiano, you moronic fuuktard.

Can you see that you black people have the best interest of whites at heart now? grin grin grin grin grin grin

So I can see why you are demanding they have the best interest of your dumb arsses at heart. grin

morpheus24:

All those adjectives for black people are inconclusive seeing that you can find individual black people today who are the exact opposite of each and everyone of the stated adjectives.

Seeing that the system of White supremacy still exists, it is quite logical to infer that ALL WHITE PEOPLE as a collective are bad since they still benefit greatly from the past and continued legacy of this system.

but then again trying to convince an UNCLE TOM of this is like beating your head against a stone wall.

I am not in the mood for senseless bleeding.

3 Likes

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by gatiano(m): 9:16pm On Nov 03, 2014
so in conclusion what are you saying? or what do you mean? i love to hear your opinion about the issue.

And your daddy must have shortchanged you or did you wrong by calling you cockroach or bedbug, cockroach is sneaky in nature, that is somehow a compliment except that you must have wet your bed till you were about 18 years of age, so he calls you retarded too. well don't put that anger on nairalanders who are stating their point and expressing their emotions. or are you adopted by white parent? there is nothing bad in that. anyways if not for miles that seperate us, i would have gimoknock your face, just to correct you.
state your opinion and lets get over with it at once.
Sagamite:

OHHHHHH!

OOOOOOHHHHHH!

So now you change the rules?

Say "Yes, Sir".

So if you find individual black people that are not A, then one should avoid generalisation they are A?

But if you find individual white people that are not B, ignore it, it is okay to generalise they are B?

That is "logical" in your fuuktard world?

The system of Black Idiocy and Barbarism still does not exist?

You are a moronic fuuktard!

Next time, in your dumb life, NEVER bring any of your moronic, dumbarse opinions Sagamite's way.

Dumb Black Monkey!
Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by Sagamite(m): 9:23pm On Nov 03, 2014
gatiano:
so in conclusion what are you saying? or what do you mean? i love to hear your opinion about the issue.

And your daddy must have shortchanged you or did you wrong by calling you cockroach or bedbug, cockroach is sneaky in nature, that is somehow a compliment except that you must have wet your bed till you were about 18 years of age, so he calls you retarded too. well don't put that anger on nairalanders who are stating their point and expressing their emotions. or are you adopted by white parent? there is nothing bad in that. anyways if not for miles that seperate us, i would have gimoknock your face, just to correct you.
state your opinion and lets get over with it at once.

You are a dumb, cretinous fuuktard!

So you don't want to lecture me on history anymore? grin grin grin grin grin grin

You are chickening out after I exposed your stupidity? grin

You think you have a right to state your mororic and racist point and express your fuuktard emotions without any challenge? grin

You are a cretinous moronic fuuktard! grin grin grin grin grin

You would do what to my face?

You have the liver? grin grin grin grin grin

Your fellow fuuktard, morpheus24, has already stated you are a moronic and barbaric fuuktard by virtue of your history anyway. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by gatiano(m): 9:26pm On Nov 03, 2014
state your opinion, don't you have anything to teach us? put us on the right track, lets hear or read it. verily you bed wetted for a very longtime.
Sagamite:

You are a dumb, cretinous fuuktard!

So you don't want to lecture me on history anymore? grin grin grin grin grin grin

You are chickening out after I exposed your stupidity? grin

You think you have a right to state your mororic and racist point and express your fuuktard emotions without any challenge? grin

You are a cretinous moronic fuuktard! grin grin grin grin grin

You would do what to my face?

You have the liver? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Zambia's Scott Becomes Africa's First White Leader In 20 Years by Sagamite(m): 9:30pm On Nov 03, 2014
gatiano:
state your opinion, don't you have anything to teach us? put us on the right track, lets hear or read it. verily you bed wetted for a very longtime.

DEFEND YOUR MORONIC OPINION FIRST!

You think it is your God, Sagamite, you can use deviation tactics for to escape exposing your pure stupidity?

TISH ME HISSRY, make I hear, fuuktard.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

International Organizations That Nigeria Belongs To. / Boko Haram Kills 24 Chadian Soldiers In Lake Chad Area / Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Wins $5 Million Mo Ibrahim Prize For African Leadership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.