Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software (16745 Views)

How To Reduce Etisalat Browsing Speed? / FG Enforces Ban On Foreign Computers: HP, LG & Samsung To Lose / NCC Steps In To Reduce Internet Service Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by donigspain(m): 10:08am On Oct 30, 2014
This is a welcome development.

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 30, 2014
Mrkuvuki:

You just wan follow talk abi grin

whats this one saying?
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Youpele52: 10:12am On Oct 30, 2014
Don't just end in the news give scholarship to interested Nigerians to go oversea and study computer/software related courses. Guarantee the outstanding ones jobs in Nigerian ICT or start up IT firms. Then do that again and again and watch how we overtake India gradually.

Five science facts we learnt at school that are plain wrong.

www.nairaland.com/1973239/five-science-facts-learnt-school
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by asala1: 10:12am On Oct 30, 2014
Dream on Naija
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by igben(m): 10:14am On Oct 30, 2014
Nice move, we also need to start developing our own welding codes and standard cos we dont want AWS,ASME,CWB CODES anymore.They keep collecting millions of dollars from us yearly to run international certification.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by oseiwe(m): 10:18am On Oct 30, 2014
Let's go coding! smiley
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by lonelydora: 10:18am On Oct 30, 2014
GEJ is working.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 30, 2014
asala1:
Dream on Naija

Dream on..
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by anonimi: 10:27am On Oct 30, 2014
politricks:
Nice move but wont be easy to achieve if electricity problem persists.

I believe the electricity problem will steadily be resolved with privatisation and serious support for the investors by this Jonathan/Sambo administration.
They seem focused on reviving our economy and creating opportunities for EMPLOYMENT. It is however necessary for our state governors and LGA chairmen to prepare ALL our children by ensuring they are all in schools particularly VOCATIONAL and TECHNICAL ones.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Octaves(m): 10:29am On Oct 30, 2014
manutdadex:
y wont they spend dat amount?? Wen all they teach in our universities are Qbasic,fortran, these are insultin!! Qbasic shud b tut in sec skool. When u spend less dan 30mins a wk in a computer lab and all ur programmin na inside note....wat kind of result were u expectin Too many irrelevant courses in our educational system!
i dey tells you
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by watchindelta(m): 10:31am On Oct 30, 2014
story for the gods angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 30, 2014
mcdokwe:
on a front page new Islamic year thread.

Lol. You go fear by force conversion. shocked shocked grin
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by lawrenceunaa: 10:38am On Oct 30, 2014
okzcorp:

The use of the Vocab "brazen", is it right?
u can pls correct Me wink
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 30, 2014
irunobo2:
My boyfriend and I decided to try a new adventure today and we fvcked on the balcony. It was very sweet and I wish it could go on all day. He has an 8inch and my pusssy is still tight enough to lubricate his dicck. Ladies please share your intimate experiences. Let the fun begin smiley
Another attention seeking male hiding behind a female moniker. Well, have your fill.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 30, 2014
donigspain:
This is a welcome development.

Come, I go see my size so? I don tire to adjust shirt when I new buy. angry
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by iamord(m): 10:46am On Oct 30, 2014
voltron:
I think while noteworthy, this is foolhardy.. how well is Nigerian Software fairing on the International Scene.. I don't mean Ghana and Cotonu.
even small useful utilities for backing up, zipping files etc.. that have made millions for individuals worldwide.. you won't find one of Nigerian origin. how can you compete with International Expertise when you cannot climb over the fence?

It sounds like a good idea but seems to be the same old talk talk ..africans have a long way to go. There is no way I will patronize ur software if its not up to the standard of the ones In the market.. Is there even a nigerian market for such? What incentives are being put in place in schools to make this dream come alive? In order to achieve this things there is a lot that has to be in place.. Like a Nigeria silicon valley like the hope city of ghana and tatu city of kenya . That will stand as a hub for the industry experts to work and innovate
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by sonogo(m): 10:47am On Oct 30, 2014
They should privatized it nah it will work that way
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by donigspain(m): 11:17am On Oct 30, 2014
Three7Ty9:

Come, I go see my size so? I don tire to adjust shirt when I new buy. angry
Yes, bro... Just follow the link on my signature to the thread where everything is detailed. Orders have been made and deliveries successfully delivered.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 30, 2014
donigspain:
Yes, bro... Just follow the link on my signature to the thread where everything is detailed. Orders have been made and deliveries successfully delivered.

Ok, I hope so.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 11:22am On Oct 30, 2014
kenbee:
Nigeria got it wrong from our basic education system. Practical Oriented education system is the key to Employment, Hardwork, Technology & Science, Strong economy and what have U.
Nigeria that can't boast of toothpick production is dreaming of 30% software market size. Well, nothing is impossible.
I Luv Naija Spirit thou!
How true is it that Nigeria imports tooth-picks or is it the usual "nigeria is useless" popular mantra.?
I just checked my tooth-pick pack and there is no "made in china" there.
Anyway, For a country sufficient in domestic plastic manufacture,toothpick production should be easy.
The level of skill and expertise required to produce common biscuits is much higher than what is needed in producing tooth-picks.
Nigerians are mentally lazy.
I won't be surprised if an indian or chinese takes over that industry.
What a people.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by GateKeeper247: 11:52am On Oct 30, 2014
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by mmark12(m): 11:56am On Oct 30, 2014
Chai Chai.

I don’t what to sound pessimistic but I have to for some reasons

(1) It takes a while, about 10 yrs, to develop and perfect software. I am not referring to those mobile apps but real innovative softwares in the likes of “Windows", "Mac", “Sage", "Oracle". 2017 is not attainable.

(2) If I develop software in Nigeria, what is the patent law that will protect me and exclusive right to that product? Will the FG properly enforce that law?

(3) What is the educational system in term of software engineering in Nigeria; I would prefer some who has practical technical knowledge than just theoretical BA, MSC. Do we have such as people?

(4) Power supply. I rest my case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by auhanson(m): 11:57am On Oct 30, 2014
The young entrepreneur/sw developer strives too hard amidst erratic power supplies and poor internet connectivity..May God help us , because it looks like we have lost our priorities.

If we had these things in place , by now many other things would have fallen in place.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by highmood(m): 11:59am On Oct 30, 2014
kenbee:
Nigeria got it wrong from our basic education system. Practical Oriented education system is the key to Employment, Hardwork, Technology & Science, Strong economy and what have U.
Nigeria that can't boast of toothpick production is dreaming of 30% software market size. Well, nothing is impossible.
I Luv Naija Spirit thou!
you just said it; "nothing is impossible". If the likes of innoson, a Nigerian can make cars, if some unilag student could design a moving car, if some Niger Delta youth could refine crudes, etc then it is very possible. The question is do you have a brain? There are some youths who are good programmers who if they are given the chance they can do exploits. One problem is , will our indigenous companies and government institutions be ready to patronize and give them a try. Will those companies and government institutions be ready to employ these youth and get the best out of them?
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by cupidhero(m): 12:03pm On Oct 30, 2014
No be only software na nigerian wey skuul 4 nigeria go head google next year. noise makers!
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by GateKeeper247: 12:03pm On Oct 30, 2014
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by okzcorp: 12:36pm On Oct 30, 2014
lawrenceunaa:
u can pls correct Me wink

You have shown willingness to learn, you are hereby corrected.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 30, 2014
berbs112:
I hear..
if them ban you now,you go dey complain. why would u quote the whole post just to coment 'I hear'

1 Like

Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by pchax: 1:17pm On Oct 30, 2014
It is possible but we need to have two things in place - Good power supply and affordable and fast broadband internet.
Re: Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software by udswagz: 1:29pm On Oct 30, 2014
Hello Nairalanders,
we all know how we spam differents threads
trying to market our products and services,
something is here to help you market your products,
are you a shop owner in the remote corners of lagos ?
do you want to market your products to people in other
places outside your location.
visit www.amibaa.com
Signup as a merchant and let people find your products.
If you are really serious about increasing sales and making
money this December better visit www.amibaa.com
don't say i did not tell you ooo
NB: If you register from your shop, we will automatically get your address so that when potential customers want to buy your products, We will lead them straight to your shop.

Get started, it free, for the first 200 shops. amibaa.com
we currently have 116 shops now.
call: +234 08133482552

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SOLD! Lenovo Y520 Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 4gb Dedicated Core I7 7th gen SOLD! / What Are The Advantages Of Using A Chromebook Over A Regular Laptop? / Using Computer Keyboard Short Cut (tips 'n Tricks)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.