Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,739 members, 7,802,249 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car (69480 Views)

Pictures Of The Car That Got Burnt At Onipan Bus Stop / See Ben Bruce's Electric Car That Is Charged With Solar (photo) / See The Car That Caused Commotion In Lagos On Easter Day...photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 30, 2014
ochallo:

LOl, your comment cracked me up and even though you sound like a hater,i understand what you are saying. to think it took them 2 years to assemble that and it is the most celebrated project makes you weep for nigerian's education system. Here is a car built by Australian university students. This car , the electric Sunswift eVe set a new world record for fastest average speed—more than 60mph—over 500 kilometers (310 miles) on a single battery charge.
why compare nigeria to australia ... those guys may get instant jobs , perhaps scholarship to further their education , there are thousands of their peers that are non productive ... there are stuffs we should not talk down if we want to move ahead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by tartar9(m): 5:23pm On Oct 30, 2014
"Chai!!ABOMINATION!! take it away!take it away!Jonathan wat is this iron you have presented me".looks more like an offering for ogun.

3 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by jchima14: 5:25pm On Oct 30, 2014
johnshagb:
Nice job but the tires though

U fit make one wey de run on gongoni?
Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by RFella(m): 5:27pm On Oct 30, 2014
rallymento:
When it was Unilag, people kept singing their praises here and there, those Unilag student were said to have traveled abroad to represent naija in one competition.
Now some Unizik students have done better, one Grape will come here to criticize these lads effort. Nkitikpa raa chaa kwa gi otule ebea ahu! Osu ko Osu nwa mkpi, sugbu kwa haa!

My brother tell them oh...ndi'ala...that's d major problem with 9ja, we don't appreciate progress....one random foreigner can see this design model from these boys and become interested, take them abroad, and change their lives, na dat time we go come dey claim them....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 30, 2014
benega:
Am not impressed, my mechanic can do better, no go find wetin 2 do with ur lyf, old men making toy car angry
eiyaa,is this hatred or jealousy??

2 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by Anthony3850(m): 5:29pm On Oct 30, 2014
The thing wey dey pain me b say, some peeps here calling dat ride all sorts of names cant even assemble a #250 toy car, bad-belle ppl.. *ndi afo ojoo*

2 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 30, 2014
blemon44:

who is talking about CNN
my dear grow up
I really lke to take it hard on folks just like you ... its people like you that calls a private car scrap while you are suffering in a molue in traffic ... yea , I have not seen you on ait or nta either ....learn to appreciate any development you see.
Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by RFella(m): 5:33pm On Oct 30, 2014
exxell:
What is this bull-shyte? Abeg commot this thing for front page..... Just look at the crap that cost 4 million shocked shocked shocked. Wonder of discrepancy between cost and value! grin grin grin

My brother, calm down u hear...firstly, its .4million, that is 400,000naira...secondly, we always complain about too much theory in our schools, now these lads have tried their hands on this project, ur here ranting...u better learn to appreciate ur own....

4 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2014
ochallo:

LOl, your comment cracked me up and even though you sound like a hater,i understand what you are saying. to think it took them 2 years to assemble that and it is the most celebrated project makes you weep for nigerian's education system. Here is a car built by Australian university students. This car , the electric Sunswift eVe set a new world record for fastest average speed—more than 60mph—over 500 kilometers (310 miles) on a single battery charge.

imagine what those guys will do if they had access to the same materials the australians had. Nigerians are some of the best soft ware developers in the world and jelani aliyu builds engines for GM. We can compete globally in software development because all you basically need is a computer , a software and the ability to think. Those materials are levellers. Nigerians have been building cars, helicopters( a guy in kano did), remto controlled tractor based equipment etc. The problem we have in nigeria is that apart from an inept government we also lack venture capitalists who take risks. In as much as you may cast dark shadows on this "toy" remember if ajaokuta mill was working we would probably have companies who will have the needed expertise to fabricate body parts etc. I know of mechanics that had no formal education but can couple and uncouple engines. These guys know how the various pieces in an engine interact with each other. The first thing in building a car engine is to understand the internal combustion and the relationship with a gear box. I stay in the UK and one thing I have come to learn is that Nigerians are the most culpable when it comes to insulting Nigeria and due to that I have stopped debating with whites as regards the nation. Nigerians have worse opinions than the average white man. I respect the task these young igbo men did for their tribe and for nigerians as a whole. It is this indomitable spirit that has kept the fire of hope some of us have that one day either by disintergration or good centralised governance we have what it takes to be great

9 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by salisuyoomen: 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2014
ammyluv2002:
Great! cool cool cool

grin grin
wic kind achivemnt, is dis wheel barrow or AMALANKE? Any way d guys try shaaa

2 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by prowlG: 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2014
why the criticism? What these guys need is encouragement and watch them build a modern flying car soon.

3 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by room089: 5:38pm On Oct 30, 2014
That's nice!

..........Given the necessary encouragement and support, these children will one day build an airplane.
Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by Abbey2sam(m): 5:38pm On Oct 30, 2014
finofaya:
@OP, That's nice, really. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. That is not a formula 1 car, or even any sort of race car. Also, we can already manufacture or assemble vehicles in Nigeria. In fact, cars are assembled and reassembled everyday by auto mechanics without university education. Its nice that these students were able to build their own chassis tho, and possibly other parts, especially with such a tight budget. If we could get the specifications of this car so that we can know exactly what was done, that would be even better. More grease to their elbows!

the budget is not tight ........With 4million naira , they can do better than than that

and it high time we stop encouraging coupling or assembling or whatever it is they call it.......

We need innovation
we need discovery
we need invention

2 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by asala1: 5:38pm On Oct 30, 2014
majekdom2:
the justification is we still got youths who have learnt and are keen on self development and not all graduates go to school and pay for good grades

But there is nothing here that shows that these guys are learned, anybody can do this without going to school. Just folding and cutting sheet metals, putting seat and fairly used engine into it means nothing brother. We need to learn and move away from this rubbish, this is not the 14th century. What development means is improving the available ones, like improving the fuel efficiency of the engine, improve the accelerating time, reducing weight of the car by developing light materials with higher weight to strength ratio, etc. Which car manufacturer in the world will want to invest into this? NONE. If you try this as a lecturer/research in China, India, japan, etc, you will surely be stoned to death no doubt.

6 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by tsolz300: 5:41pm On Oct 30, 2014
Kanyol:
I don't want to be sarcastic here but all I see is two "agbayas" on a toy car. Chinese students go don laugh dem tire undecided undecided

compare

1 Share

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by fammy101(m): 5:44pm On Oct 30, 2014
Good work ..............buh poor finishin
Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by ricky01: 5:45pm On Oct 30, 2014
lol
Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by tsolz300: 5:45pm On Oct 30, 2014
So these dudes spent 4m to build this piece of sh#t? undecided ..
Wow....and it took them two years? Lol..

Ko kan aiye undecided

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by millionboi(m): 5:46pm On Oct 30, 2014
4million ride.....2expensiv o o
Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by kenex4ever(m): 5:46pm On Oct 30, 2014
Kanyol:
I don't want to be sarcastic here but all I see is two "agbayas" on a toy car. Chinese students go don laugh dem tire undecided undecided

compare

Hater! If dem build dat one na u go still say dem buy d parts come couple am, Losers always trying to bring others down to their level.

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by Kanyol(m): 5:49pm On Oct 30, 2014
kenex4ever:
Hater! If dem build dat one na u go still say dem buy d parts come couple am, Losers always trying to bring others down to their level.
Abeg, face front! Even the toy cars I carved when I was still a kid looked a lot better than this. Hater ko lover ni

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by christopher123(m): 5:50pm On Oct 30, 2014
Kesmakveli:
Amazing: Unizik Students Produce Race Car

Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka has recorded yet another landmark breakthrough recently when five of her students produced a formula 1 car.

The students, from the department of mechanical Engineering produced the race car as their project.

The names of the student engineers include
*Okoyenta Augustus,
*Okeke Chukwuebuka,
*Ofoegbu Kenechukwu,
*Ibekwe Ebeneezer and
*Ezeani Chikeluba.

According to the initiator of the project, Okoyenta Augustus, the materials for the car were locally sourced and it took them two years to put in place. The cost of the project still according to him was about .4 million naira, though with the support of the department.

The students drove the car last tuesday to the administrative block to showcase the novel achievement to the vice chancellor, Prof. Joseph Ahaneku and the university community. Long Live the #‎UNIZIK5‬. Long Live Department of Mechanical Engineering. *Long Live Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=717008825043277&id=178933212184177&refid=17

This is no news cos igbos have been known to be technically endowed from the days of biafra to emeagwalli till now

So that aint news ...what was news was that imo kid that built a rocket what nig army cant

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by maxy097(m): 5:51pm On Oct 30, 2014
Unizik engineering students no dey carry last at all

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by 3kay945(m): 5:51pm On Oct 30, 2014
asala1:

But there is nothing here that shows that these guys are learned, anybody can do this without going to school. Just folding and cutting sheet metals, putting seat and fairly used engine into it means nothing brother. We need to learn and move away from this rubbish, this is not the 14th century. What development means is improving the available ones, like improving the fuel efficiency of the engine, improve the accelerating time, reducing weight of the car by developing light materials with higher weight to strength ratio, etc. Which car manufacturer in the world will want to invest into this? NONE. If you try this as a lecturer/research in China, India, japan, etc, you will surely be stoned to death no doubt.

grin

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by christopher123(m): 5:53pm On Oct 30, 2014
asala1:

So which one did ur father and tribrsmen built

2 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by Feraz(m): 5:54pm On Oct 30, 2014
asala1:

Oho!!! Now, you're making reference to these countries. Nigerians and hypocrisy. These same set of people will rant China made/India made and will state how it is not on par with Western nations yet when it comes to what a Nigerian has made, the technologies they so condemn automatically becomes adorable. They forget that despite the low quality work done by these people, they were encouraged which made them what/where they are presently and turned into nations where different firms outsource their various productions.
There really is an inherent problem with us. For students with that budget (#400, 000), they tried taking into consideration the negative factors that abound here in this country. But as the usual crowd mentality that we all have, we condemn, they never bothered reading the article to see that it was #.4 million yet they come here to criticise and say how they can couple sheets of metals together and voila! the car is made. Tomorrow, they'll say Nigerian students are not creative enough, they don't read anymore when they can't see a simple figure up in the above article about these young undergraduates. We should keep wallowing in our hypocrisy.

I'm sure when we hear and see what team Uniben did in South Africa recently, we'd still condemn.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by ChrisOkafor87(m): 5:54pm On Oct 30, 2014
Larow:
grin kolomentalist
poor man with poor mentality. Go and invent your own ideology and let's celebrate you. It's high time we beging to believe in ourselves. If this is car was contructed by White Guy I you will celebrate them. Go and discover your own talent and stop condeming&slandering other people's achievements.

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by kenex4ever(m): 5:55pm On Oct 30, 2014
Khalessi:
Nigerians celebrating mediocrity since the beginning of time, I can see the plastic bottle that's been used to hold the fuel. grin
what ever u see doesn't count. This is a final year project that is usually done in one semester along with other courses but these young boys started theirs earlier and spent their parents money (plus dia dept's money) and all u could say is u noticed a plastic bottle? Did dey tell u dey r selling d product? U guys should be reasonable for once.

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by subzero212(m): 5:55pm On Oct 30, 2014
Congrat dude. I think FG have to encourage dis guys... I luv dis. Na only witch craft we dey hear say dey land 4 Lagos grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car by Kingbilo(m): 5:55pm On Oct 30, 2014
I opened this link expecting one of those ready made picanto looking things every university does. This looks like it was actually built from scratch... I'm impressed. I'd like to look at the calculations and considerations uaed to build it tho. Hope there's a transmission. How did they decide on the suspension configuration etc. Did theyaactuallydo the aaerodynamics or just made it look like a fmla1 car?.. I want to see if it was actually bulit to race. Impressed so far sha.. Well done.

As for those talking about China students laughing etc. The important thing here is, what did they learn? Did tgey actually design a car or put stuff together to make it move? You can't condemn these guys until you look at the engineering design work tgat came along with it. That's where you can understand if they did a mechanic job or an engineering work. The manufacture will always be a bit shabby. This is Nigeria. Production is difficult. Cut them some slack on how it looks lol.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Will You Buy This Bulletproof Luxury Toyota Coaster Bus For N165m? (photos) / 'Witch' Number Plate In Garki Abuja {pics} / Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.