Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,022 members, 7,807,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement (1463 Views)

Governor Amaechi Disobeys Order to Receive President Jonathan at PH (PHOTOS) / Atiku "Selected" As Northern Consensus Candidate / Atiku Emerges As Nothern Consensus Candidate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by Tectono: 3:08am On Oct 31, 2014
ENUGU 2015: UNGRATEFUL SPEAKER DISOBEYS CONSENSUS AGREEMENT, BUYS PDP GOVERNORSHIP NOMINATION FORM
Tectono Business Review has gathered that the speaker of the Enugu State House of Assembly, Hon. Eugene Odo, on Thursday disobeyed the consensus arrangement put in place by Governor Sullivan Chime by declaring his intention to contest the 2015 governorship election in the state. It is obvious that this ungrateful speaker wants to die a political death.

Hon. Odo told journalists at a news conference in the Assembly complex that he had purchased the 11 million naira form for the Peoples Democratic Party governorship primary election. He just wasted 11 million naira that is capable of changing the lives of many people in his constituency.

The speaker was among a number of governorship hopefuls from Enugu North Senatorial District, to which the governorship position had been zoned. Odo had attended a stakeholders meeting called by Chime on September 26, where the governor presented the member representing Igbo Eze North /Udenu Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, as his anointed successor.

The stakeholders at the meeting thereafter adopted Ugwuanyi as the consensus candidate, but Odo’s was said to be among the dissenting voices that kicked against the development. The Enugu State PDP Caucus and the State Executive Committee had also adopted Hon. Ugwuanyi as the consensus candidate.

The speaker said that his experience as the head of the state legislature, which he said maintained a harmonious working relationship with the executive, would help him to serve the people of Enugu State if elected in 2015. He identified the economy, agriculture, poverty alleviation and healthcare as the issues that he would focus on. Rt. Hon. Rotimi Amechi was equally a speaker of River State House of Assembly for eight years. He blackmailed his way into winning PDP governorship primary election and eventually became the governor of River State. What has his experience as the speaker helped him to achieve as a governor?

Hear what Hon. Odo said: “I believe that if we find ourselves on the other side of the divide (executive arm of government), having led the legislature and also helped the executive, we are going to do better.” This is arrant nonsense. Which level of exposure and contact does he have? He is only a local champion. He urged delegates of the PDP in Enugu State to vote for him during the governorship primaries on November 29. He said he rejected the consensus arrangement that threw up Hon. Ugwuanyi. This is the same Hon. Ugwuanyi that saved Hon. Odo from impeachment some years back. Some people can be ungrateful.

Noting that the laws of the PDP did not welcome the adoption of consensus candidates by state chapters, he said the process adopted in arriving at the consensus arrangement was not proper. He said, “Of course we were in the meeting and we had our reservations; there is nothing wrong with consensus but the process through which it was arrived at was the problem. Our party frowns at consensus; the consensus that will make more sense to all of us is the consensus that will be arrived at on November 29 during the primaries. We hope that on November 29 the delegates will vote for the candidate of their choice.”

Wait a minute, what makes Hon. Eugene Odo think that Enugu people want a governor of Igboetiti extraction again? Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, from Igboetiti, has governed Enugu State before and achieved nothing. Hon. Odo is not electable. He is not capable of winning governorship election. So, it is risky for Enugu PDP to nominate him. He is a nobody when compared to Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi. Does he know what it means to be the chairman of house of representative committee on marine transport for many years? Consider the international exposure and contacts that Hon. Ugwuanyi has that he can deploy to attract infrastructural development when he become the governor.
http://tectono..com/
Re: Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by naijaking1: 3:11am On Oct 31, 2014
Ok, you're just so wrong!
Re: Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by Tectono: 3:27am On Oct 31, 2014
Naijaking1, could you please explain how and why I am wrong?
Re: Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by otil1: 4:24am On Oct 31, 2014
The Op clearly shows his preference. Very well. I can help his course a little, but before then, he should not be shy to face the fact inenugu today that the attempt at achieving consensus on pdp guber has collapsed irretrievably.

Good attempt but completely a failed venture.

Yes, the speaker has exercised his right to contest but there are many issues. I don't believe serving in the maritime committee chairperson. Of the lower chamber, even as the chairperson provides any unique experience and qualification to govern a state like Enugu that has zero inland water channels and capability. But I concur that as hopeful beneficiary of broader zoning arrangement, the domestic version of it might hurt Odo.

My take is that Odo's greatest undoing will come from the rubber stamp reputation of Enugu house of assembly which he will have been in for the past 12years and chaired for the past 8years.

Some of the issues have been raised about this in public fora but the one never remembered by many is that Odo presided over the disqualification and total humiliation of 2 highly reputable sons of nsukka,Denis Agbo and Prof Ugwuani by the house. Both served in the first tenure of Chime, got nominated to serve again as commissioners only to be disqualified right under Odo's watch, with no concrete reason offered only that orders came from above, a usual reference to government house lion Buildings perhaps from the then powerful madam at the top.

ODo operated as a lap dog of guv chime, even denying his members their right entitlement to please chime in the hope of his annointment.

I totally concur with the Op that Odo's candidature is DOD(dead on arrival). He had a greater chance seeking the senatorial ticket, my view.

Ugwuanyi may be riding on the trumped consensus but buyer beware! From all we have hear, he is a free giver and when a giver expects favour back from his 'gift', the arrangement is bribery. So when we hear gists about N800m house bought for former Enugu strong woman, ship procured for the henchman, N50m for former gov and senate president, Enugu go hear am when he gets the goods he has paid for. Buyer beware is my thots for Enugu about Ugwuanyi whose governance mindset and political philosophy are summarised in his usual campaign slogan 'afia'. Or in ful 'afia azumama'. Meaning is that politics is like market (trade), that when properly done, all goes. Cheers all
Re: Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by focus7: 4:53am On Oct 31, 2014
The PDPs are bunch of hypocrites, if this is an APC now they will be crying blue murder, its then that they will say all sort rubbish about Tinubu. I have been reading of recent the effort been made by the out going governors in PDP to impose a successor or the people in the name of a consensus candidacy. Though it all started by Jonathan consensus candidacy, here interested candidates are made to pay for the form and are denied. The governors scenario is that if anyone call a bluff of the consensus and determine to contest against the governor's anointed candidate, they raise all hell against such like what is going on in Akwa Ibom state, Abia state and now Enugu state, the case in Abia has even gone to another level of occultism, where the governor is taking his candidate to the shrine for an oath of allegiance.
Re: Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by signz: 5:47am On Oct 31, 2014
otil1:
The Op clearly shows his preference. Very well. I can help his course a little, but before then, he should not be shy to face the fact inenugu today that the attempt at achieving consensus on pdp guber has collapsed irretrievably.

Good attempt but completely a failed venture.

Yes, the speaker has exercised his right to contest but there are many issues. I don't believe serving in the maritime committee chairperson. Of the lower chamber, even as the chairperson provides any unique experience and qualification to govern a state like Enugu that has zero inland water channels and capability. But I concur that as hopeful beneficiary of broader zoning arrangement, the domestic version of it might hurt Odo.

My take is that Odo's greatest undoing will come from the rubber stamp reputation of Enugu house of assembly which he will have been in for the past 12years and chaired for the past 8years.

Some of the issues have been raised about this in public fora but the one never remembered by many is that Odo presided over the disqualification and total humiliation of 2 highly reputable sons of nsukka,Denis Agbo and Prof Ugwuani by the house. Both served in the first tenure of Chime, got nominated to serve again as commissioners only to be disqualified right under Odo's watch, with no concrete reason offered only that orders came from above, a usual reference to government house lion Buildings perhaps from the then powerful madam at the top.

ODo operated as a lap dog of guv chime, even denying his members their right entitlement to please chime in the hope of his annointment.

I totally concur with the Op that Odo's candidature is DOD(dead on arrival). He had a greater chance seeking the senatorial ticket, my view.

[/b]Ugwuanyi may be riding on the trumped consensus but buyer beware! From all we have hear, he is a free giver and when a giver expects favour back from his 'gift', the arrangement is bribery. So when we hear gists about N800m house bought for former Enugu strong woman, ship procured for the henchman, N50m for former gov and senate president, Enugu go hear am when he gets the goods he has paid for. Buyer beware is my thots for Enugu about Ugwuanyi whose governance mindset and political philosophy are summarised in his usual campaign slogan 'afia'. Or in ful 'afia azumama'. Meaning is that politics is like market (trade), that when properly done, all goes[b]. Cheers all

Enugu is finished cry
Re: Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by charsol: 6:06am On Oct 31, 2014
Why should governor chime impose a candidate on us...I am not kicking against the governor having his ideal successor in mind but imposing him on the the electorates is dictatorial. The PDP has zoned the governorship slot to enugu north and so they should map out a level playing ground to ensure the people's choice is represented ...
...And who said Mr Eugene odoh has no right to vie for the governorship post?
Re: Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by asha80(m): 6:39am On Oct 31, 2014
it is just that opposition parties are not strong in enugu state otherwise they would have taken advantage of the confusion in enugu pdp leading to this election.
Re: Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by Desdola(m): 7:25am On Oct 31, 2014
sorry to say, the Op seems biased in his assessment. The last I checked everyone has the right to vote and be voted for. What has been head of maritime committee in the house got to do with state politics. Instead of imposing candidates why not open up the process so members should decide
Re: Enugu 2015: Ungrateful Speaker Disobeys Consensus Agreement by iamodenigbo1(m): 7:54am On Oct 31, 2014
LET THE BEST CANDIDATE WIN

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Eyes Yola As Hong Andgombi Falls / No More Joint Account For Local/state Govt —tambuwal / Details Of All APC Governorship Winners.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.