Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms (14893 Views)

"Fulani Herdsmen Enter Abuja Farm So That Their Cows Would Feed On Crops" / Why PDP Supporters Have Grown On Nairaland Than APC Supporters. / Idi Amin: A True African Hero Portrayed A Villain By Western Propaganda! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 31, 2014

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 8:24am On Oct 31, 2014
gmo seeds and foods are not safe .. this is one of
the greatest scams .. that would reduce the
natural potency of food and also make us
subservent to the gmo companirs forever . Forget
that crap of it being locally produced .. there is a
patent for transfer of gmo technology and also
royalties would be paid.
I would give kudos to the minister of Agriculture ,
he is serving his paymasters well ... western
imperialism at its highest ... while european
countries are rejecting gmos .. we are embrscing
it whole heartedly .. Nigerians should wakeup and
smell the coffee

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 8:26am On Oct 31, 2014
recently this was posted ...
As part of new initiatives to boost the production
of cocoa in the country, he said the Nigerian
Cocoa Research Institute had released eight new
hybrids of cocoa, adding that the Federal
Government has distributed 1.4 million cocoa
pods to farmers in cocoa producing states across
the country.
We all know the rockafella trained economist is
pursuing the agenda of the white elite to wipe out
natural occuring food in nigeria . increase
diseases .. and make nigerian farmers solely
dependent on the elite
royalties would be paid.
smell the coffee

4 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 8:31am On Oct 31, 2014
under our watchdul eyes ...mosanto are secretly
partnering with our research organisations to
release gmo hybrid cocoa, cassava, rice ...
are we asleep ... i detest this administration ..
this is the greatest crime ... removing our food
sovereignty and allowing these devils to plaunder
africa again using their agents all n d name of
globalisation.

They deceive us with the word hybrid .. soon they would release hybrid egusi, bitter leave etc

Some of us who rely on the natural occuring phytochemicals in foods as alternative medicine .. have to start growing our own food.

Get ready for new diseases and ailments and get ready to buy their drugs and supplrments.

Instead of us to promote organic farming and promote balanced diets and healthy food.

THAT MINISTER OF AGRIC IS A DEVIL REINCARNATE ...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Omimah: 8:43am On Oct 31, 2014
ayo84:
royalties would be paid.
smell the coffee
What is GMO?

1 Like

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by oduastates: 9:22am On Oct 31, 2014
Monsanto.
Foolish and useless leaders .
Jonathan is essentially signing many people's death warrant.

Google Monsanto if you have no clue .
The best way I can dumb it down and summarise it is ,once these gmo crops take over,you crop will need chemicals ( herbicides and pesticides) from the company called Monsanto to be healthy. Also you would have to buy those seeds from this particular company .green scientist have proven that the crops are dangerous and in many cases , contain high levels of cyanogen .
Cyanogen causes cancer

8 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 9:44am On Oct 31, 2014
meanwhile the same minister claimed that they are hybrids.
Who funds the International Institute of Tropical
Agriculture (IITA) in Ibadan.

Read this : http://www.africanhealthmagazine.com/2014/08/22/nabda-the-minister-of-agriculture-the-senate-unwitting-pawns-in-the-defrauding-of-nigeria-by-monsanto/

On the 6th of July, The Minister of Agriculture
Dr Adesina made the following comments on
GMO’s:
“The fact remains that we have nothing in
this country called GMO. “
Without mincing words, that is an outright LIE ,
and the Nigerian populace deserves to know
the truth. The Minister and his ministry should
start by explaining the existence of Bt Cowpea
in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 9:51am On Oct 31, 2014
The same Minister on national TV(channels TV)
further talks about how Monsanto BT cotton is
being introduced in the northern part of Nigeria,
a plant which of his own explanation is GMO.
So why all the lies? That is a rhetoric question.
Lies have been the trade currency of Monsanto
and other Bio-tech firms for a long time but as
with all lies, the truth eventually comes out.
Thankfully to the good people at NABDA, who
despite contradicting the Minister of Agriculture
have at least been honest with Nigerians about
the existence of Bt Cowpea (A GMO cow pea
made by inserting MONSANTO BT gene in to
the cow pea DNA. Nothing conventional about
transgenic modification)

3 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 9:52am On Oct 31, 2014
On the 10th of July, The Director General of
agency, Prof. Lucy Ogbadu, made an appeal on
the need for a Bio-safety law for the adoption
of biotechnology in Nigeria. She maintained
that “some saboteurs had been feeding
false information to the public to frustrate
the efforts being put in place to introduce
genetically Modified Foods in the country,
adding that this is a deliberate effort by
those that want Africa to remain backward
to keep using misguided anti-technology
views to justify their antics. ”
It would seem that both the NABDA boss and
Minister Adesina, believe that by covering their
ears and repeating anti-science enough times,
the grim reality of what MONSANTO is would
go away. Neither of them have addressed why
six countries out of the G8 banned GMO and
placed restrictive policies in place against it.
They ignore the damage these plants and
agricultural practices have on the soil, the
dependency it creates on foreign companies to
plant food and the negative health
consequences scientist all over the world have
shown GMO’s have. This comes as no
surprise. NABDA has had MONSANTO as a core
partner for a long time now, so unfortunately
NABDA has become nothing more than a
mouth piece for Monsanto. The good folks at
NABDA would have us believe they are the only
authority entitled to speak on genetics and
Bio-tech. It is unfortunate that being a
scientist is not also the sole pre-requisite to
eating GMO. Since the NABDA population is
less than 0.000001 percent of Nigeria, I believe
it is only right that we Nigerians that have not
been tainted with “Monsanto money / funding”
apply our common sense to the matter as it
would be us, the driver, the plumber, the editor,
architect, lawyer and our children that would
be eating this Monsanto Poison.

4 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by thoth: 10:04am On Oct 31, 2014
The rate people will be dying and new incurable disease appearing will be staggering within next 5 years. i really pity Nigerians and their docile nature.

GEJ,OKONJO IWEALA, and now the Minister for Agriculture Mr Adesina. Hope Nigerians never forget these names because they should all be made to pay for what they did to the masses.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 10:08am On Oct 31, 2014
thoth:
The rate people will be dying and new incurable disease appearing will be staggering within next 5 years. i really pity Nigerians and their docile nature.

GEJ,OKONJO IWEALA, and now the Minister for Agriculture Mr Adesina. Hope Nigerians never forget these names because they should all be made to pay for what they did to the masses.

This should make front page . These people are devils ..they are western imperialists whi collaborate with the synagogue of satan ...

4 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 5:30pm On Nov 02, 2014
Check out this video of indian farmers complaining of BT Cotton , the same BT Cotton, this sleazy minister introduced in Northern Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFF96-wrtUM&list=UUEpUgQ6muzZ9YPy53O7w2HA

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Aphrygian(m): 6:21pm On Nov 02, 2014
ayo84:
The same Minister on national TV(channels TV)
further talks about how Monsanto BT cotton is
being introduced in the northern part of Nigeria,
a plant which of his own explanation is GMO.
So why all the lies? That is a rhetoric question.
Lies have been the trade currency of Monsanto
and other Bio-tech firms for a long time but as
with all lies, the truth eventually comes out.
Thankfully to the good people at NABDA, who
despite contradicting the Minister of Agriculture
have at least been honest with Nigerians about
the existence of Bt Cowpea (A GMO cow pea
made by inserting MONSANTO BT gene in to
the cow pea DNA. Nothing conventional about
transgenic modification)
if by ur BT u meant bacillus thurigensis then there is nothing bad in it, its just a IPP(incomporated plant protectant)which does not have a known toxicity on human being.pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/bt-ext.html
Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by gatiano(m): 7:13pm On Nov 02, 2014
THEY WERE EITHER PAID OR DECEIVED TO THINKING THAT THEY ARE HELPING THEIR PEOPLE, IF THE LATER IS THE CASE, WHY ALL THAT EDUCATION THEY HAD IN HAVARD AND MIT? SOLD OUT LEADERS. PEOPLE OF MY COUNTRY NIGERIA, BEGIN TO PLANT YOUR OWN FOODS LIKE VEGETABLES AND SMALL FRUITS IN YOUR BACKYARD, AND MAKE FOODS DIRECTLY FROM YOUR FAMILY LAND IN YOUR VILLAGES, THE DEVILS ARE ANGRY, THEY ARE MERCILESSLY DEVOURING THE BLACK OR DARKER PEOPLE OF THE EARTH. COOK YOUR OWN FOOD, LET ALL THOSE FAST FOOD JOINT FEEDING US JUNK FOODS GO BANKRUPT. IT FOR THE GOOD OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, ELSE YOU WILL DIE LIKE A COMMON LIZARD
thoth:

7 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by seagulsntrawler: 7:18pm On Nov 02, 2014
Aphrygian:
if by ur BT u meant bacillus thurigensis then there is nothing bad in it, its just a IPP(incomporated plant protectant)which does not have a known toxicity on human being.

Anything from mosanto is evil. Do your findings about them. And like the americans nothing good comes from them either.
Mods should do the needful and move to front page.

4 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Horus(m): 7:19pm On Nov 02, 2014
Remember, "You are what you eat"; If you eat Genetically Modified Foods , your DNA structure will be genetically modified. Numerous health problems will increase in Nigeria after GMOs introduction. Food allergies, and disorders such as autism, reproductive disorders, digestive problems, and others will be on the rise.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by akanke79: 9:28pm On Nov 02, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by gsalvatore: 10:05pm On Nov 02, 2014
This should be moved to the FRONT PAGE and be left there till NEXT YEAR.

I know this will happen one and its happening...other nations are desisting from GM foods here we are behaving like they just invented fire.

Even some of these rice being sold theses days DAT have 6hrs expiration when its cooked..Some thing should be done about awareness, folks need to know..

If this shit is for real then expect to see some kind illness in the nearest future and Nigeria doesn't have a good health system.

This shit should be dispersed to further enlighten people.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Aphrygian(m): 10:15pm On Nov 02, 2014
seagulsntrawler:

Anything from mosanto is evil. Do your findings about them. And like the americans nothing good comes from them either.
Mods should do the needful and move to front page.
wetin concern me with mosanto?.am just telling you what I no there is no way the world can be fed without the help of genetic engineering to alter the genes of plants to improve crops(vigour,productivity,tolerance to pest e.t.c)most of us commenting on dis post don't no jackshit abt gmp.its been in existence since God nos wen in Nigeria.go to fuman farm in ajawa and see the wonders of gm.
Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by delpee(f): 10:21pm On Nov 02, 2014
GMO food, imported embalmed chicken (with formaldehyde used for corpses), and relabelled expired food items....Reasons why Cancer is now rampant here!

We accept anything and even go to great length to justify anomalies.

God save us from the wicked among us who want money by all means.

6 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by gatiano(m): 10:26pm On Nov 02, 2014
on the contrary, a tomatoes left without consumption will begin to rot after three days, engineered tomatoes can last 2 weeks and still strong, they are beatiful to the eyes but deadly to the body. when i was young and anytime rice is being cooked, i had to be going to the kitchen several times to check if the rice was ready, my mum will always say "not ready", today put rice on fire and before you turn around,its already burning and cooked. bananas are now as sweet as sugar, oranges not the same.
they remove the vitamins from this fruits, and they use them to produce vitamin drugs, then the fruit is left devoid of all nutrients, so to compensate for it, they begin to add enzymes. and when consumed, it causes sickness, then one is then told to go buy the same vitamin. The vitamins in turns contain other toxic compounds that damages the body. so illnesses will compile in a person's body. and someone dares to argue that the whiteman is not the devil. black people loves imported things, well just like the native indians were infected with smallpox, all of the imported things from the whiteman to the darker people too are laced with something. everything even the diplomatic people.
gsalvatore:
This should be moved to the FRONT PAGE and be left there till NEXT YEAR.

I know this will happen one and its happening...other nations are desisting from GM foods here we are behaving like they just invented fire.

Even some of these rice being sold theses days DAT have 6hrs expiration when its cooked..Some thing should be done about awareness, folks need to know..

If this shit is for real then expect to see some kind illness in the nearest future and Nigeria doesn't have a good health system.

This shit should be dispersed to further enlighten people.

4 Likes

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by seagulsntrawler: 10:50pm On Nov 02, 2014
Aphrygian:
wetin concern me with mosanto?.am just telling you what I no there is no way the world can be fed without the help of genetic engineering to alter the genes of plants to improve crops(vigour,productivity,tolerance to pest e.t.c)most of us commenting on dis post don't no jackshit abt gmp.its been in existence since God nos wen in Nigeria.go to fuman farm in ajawa and see the wonders of gm.

The proponents of these evil plot will also argue in the same way by telling us about an imaginary`vigor,productivity and tolerance to pest, etc' holy crap. We need not understand how things work with sellouts and traitors, who are bent on killing off everybody in this country but I can assure you of one thing and that is we are aware of their plans and we know what `right'.
Lastly, thanks for the warning on fuman farms at ajawa. We shall surely keep an eye on them.

Cheers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Aphrygian(m): 11:24pm On Nov 02, 2014
seagulsntrawler:

The proponents of these evil plot will also argue in the same way by telling us about an imaginary`vigor,productivity and tolerance to pest, etc' holy crap. We need not understand how things work with sellouts and traitors, who are bent on killing off everybody in this country but I can assure you of one thing and that is we are aware of their plans and we know what `right'.
Lastly, thanks for the warning on fuman farms at ajawa. We shall surely keep an eye on them.

Cheers
oga stop misinforming people based on hearsay,am in the field of agriculture and to best of my knowledge have worked with 2great international plant breeders infact my final year project is on adapting simit inbred lines to ogbomosho agro ecological zone.there is nothing out of ordinary that's been done on the maize plants other than pollination,selfing and evaluation.buh when pple like u misinform pple I have to voice out.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Aphrygian(m): 11:48pm On Nov 02, 2014
What Nigerians should be fighting for is a strong and unbiased environmental regulatory body just like EPA of USA,infact gmfoods should be the least of our worries cos the rate at wich toxic junks are been rleased to nigerias atmosphere na wahala.not all gmfoods are bad infact the world can't do without them for now.what we need is regulations let's accept the ones that are not toxic and filter out the ones that are toxic simple.buh trying to say no to gm products will bring us back to square one (importing foods).My own opinion sha o

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by seagulsntrawler: 12:13am On Nov 03, 2014
Aphrygian:
oga stop misinforming people based on hearsay,am in the field of agriculture and to best of my knowledge have worked with 2great international plant breeders infact my final year project is on adapting simit inbred lines to ogbomosho agro ecological zone.there is nothing out of ordinary that's been done on the maize plants other than pollination,selfing and evaluation.buh when pple like u misinform pple I have to voice out.

The truth is out in the open. The atrocities of mosanto are well documented, and I think you should go through this article and see how mosanto maize caused the growth of cancer tumor in a group of mouse before you start recommending gmo for anyone.
m.naturalnews.com/news/037289_monsanto_corporations_ethics.html

Cheers

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 12:54am On Nov 03, 2014
please keep commenting till this reaches front page ..
please share this pic . we cannot play with the lives of our children ....

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Horus(m): 1:08am On Nov 03, 2014

[size=15pt]Health Dangers of Ingesting GM Foods[/size]

“Several animal studies reveal a long list of disorders, including: infertility, immune dysregulation, accelerated aging, dysregulation of genes associated with cholesterol synthesis, [faulty] insulin regulation, cell signaling, and protein formation, and changes in the liver, kidney, spleen and gastrointestinal system.”

Source: The American Academy of Environmental Medicine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by ayo84(m): 1:11am On Nov 03, 2014
Aphrygian:

you are the type the bible speaks off in revelations
I know your afflictions and your poverty--yet
you are rich! I know about the slander of
those who say they are Jews and are not,
but are a synagogue of Satan.

why are you practicinh pseudo science my brother ...

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Nobody: 1:16am On Nov 03, 2014
Ensure you all share this post. Share with everyone even face book and twitter.

It would probably never reach the front page, but we can ensure it reaches as many people as possible by sharing and by keeping on posting every day even if just one word like "bump".
ayo84:
please keep commenting till this reaches front page ..
please share this pic . we cannot play with the lives of our children ....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Nobody: 1:17am On Nov 03, 2014
Also like every post that is made.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Nobody: 1:23am On Nov 03, 2014
Please do you have more information about the chickens?
that shocking!
delpee:
GMO food, imported embalmed chicken (with formaldehyde used for corpses), and relabelled expired food items....Reasons why Cancer is now rampant here!

We accept anything and even go to great length to justify anomalies.

God save us from the wicked among us who want money by all means.
Re: Genetically Modified crops being grown on Nigerian soil by Western nation firms by Horus(m): 1:29am On Nov 03, 2014
[size=15pt]Nigeria: Controversy Over Genetically Modified Seeds[/size]

By Debo Oladimeji

CIVIL society groups in Lagos recently petitioned the Federal Government against any attempt to introduce Genetically Modified (GM) foods or Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) into the agricultural sector of the country.

In the petition, which was submitted to the office of Lagos State governor, the groups called for a ban on GM seeds which some foreign biotechnology corporations are planning to introduce into Nigeria through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture. The petitioners also cautioned the Senate against passing the Bio-Safety Bill.

Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour, Leader of Nigerians Against GMOs, said one of the problems with GM seeds is that it is a foreign technology. "It is a creation of foreign biotech firms. When they give you seeds, the seeds cannot be replanted. Which means that they own the patent rights for the seeds. So, every time you need to replant, you have to go back to them to buy the seeds. Now, in the process of planting the seeds and using their chemicals, you kill your own soil. It is made up of bacterial and other living things. Monsanto's system kills the soil. It now makes your land only suitable for their own seeds. That is the main problem of dependency. That means local farmers will have to pay double to buy GM seeds.

"Another factor is contamination. When you grow this plant on your soil, the pollen from them go and mix with your natural breed. When that happens, your natural breed becomes genetically modified. There are a lot of bigger factors involved here."

According to him, what now happens is that when they now spray Monsanto herbicides, the plants will not die but the weeds will die. "If you don't alter that gene, everything will die. So they change the plants, they don't change their chemicals. Independent researches have shown that these things lead to cancer. Research done by scientists on the effect of human exposure to such chemicals and foods linked GMO's to stunted growth, impaired immune systems, bleeding stomachs, abnormal and potentially precancerous cell growth in the intestines, reduced digestive enzymes among others."

He disclosed that many of the G8 countries have banned GM seeds. "Germany, France, Japan, Italy, England have banned GMOs. It is only Canada and America that allow GM seeds. Biotechnology has been existing in America since 1992. There is a company called Eulocyte. They announced in 2001 that they had developed a corn variety that has a spermicide effect. So if you eat their corn you cannot reproduce."

"Our government needs to invest in laboratories, needs to pay our scientists well, needs to provide 24-hour electricity so that we can do genetic experiment and then they can create things for us."

On his part, Dr. Martin Fregene, an agricultural biotech expert and a senior researcher at Donald Danforth Plant Science Centre, United States, but now a Senior Technical Assistant to the Agriculture Minister, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, adding that the current Biosafety Bill has gone through public hearing twice in the National Assembly and it is untrue that the Senate is trying to pass a bill without consulting the public.

"As a matter of fact, during the Musa Yar'Adua's regime, the National Assembly did public hearing, and got views from many Nigerians then. The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) is one of the agencies of government that support the National Biosafety Bill which promotes the responsible use of new technologies," Fregene said.

He added that there are no GMO seeds being grown in Nigeria at the moment; no local or foreign seed company can introduce GMOs into Nigeria without a regulatory approval from the Federal Ministry of Environment. "None of the seeds given out under the Agric Minister's Growth Enhancement Support Scheme (GES) is GMO seed. As a matter of fact, it is a crime in most countries of the world, including Nigeria, to hand out GMO seeds without regulatory approval."

According to him, there is no evidence that GMOs affect the soil. "Over a trillion meals have been served worldwide that include GM crops. There has not been a single report of death or sickness. GM crops are the most regulated items in the world by the way. On the other hand, there is documented evidence of over 100 deaths from consumption of organic foods, especially bean sprouts," he said.

Coordinator, Open Forum on Agricultural Biotechnology in Africa, Nigeria Chapter and Chief Scientific Officer, National Biotechnology Development Agency (NABDA), Lugbe, Abuja, Mrs. Rose M. Gidado, said hybrid seeds are just improved seeds produced using the conventional agricultural tools while GMO seeds are seeds produced by genetic engineering tools. "They are improved to either resist diseases or for nutritional enhancement. GMO seeds do not cause cancer. Monsanto is a leader in both conventional hybrid maize as well as hybrid genetically-modified maize. Neither of these seeds is sterile. Either can be significantly more productive than traditional, non-hybrid maize varieties," she said.

Nigeria, she revealed, signed and ratified the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety. "Parties to this protocol are expected to develop their administrative and regulatory framework in order to domesticate modern biotechnology. It is based on this that Nigeria developed the Biosafety Bill for the enactment of a Biosafety Law."

The way forward, according to her, is to have a Biosafety Law in place. "The Minister of Agriculture is not introducing GMOs to Nigeria. There is no legal framework for the commercialization of GMOs in Nigeria."

She said that it is not true that GM seeds damage the soil. "Monsanto actively advocates farm management practices that allow sustainable intensification of agricultural production." Gidado also debunked the notion that farmers will become dependent on foreign seed companies. "In fact, Monsanto actively licenses its biotech traits to other seed companies so that farmers can choose from a wide range of suppliers. Monsanto enables choice. If farmers choose to buy seeds with Monsanto's biotech traits, that is because they have seen the value that these traits provide and are willing to pay a premium for them in exchange for the increased yield that they enable," she said.

As a matter of corporate policy, she said, Monsanto only markets biotech seeds in areas where they enjoy broad political support, broad farmer's demand and where there is a predictable, functioning regulatory system which encourages innovation and protects intellectual property rights. "Monsanto will not sell any GM seeds in Nigeria without a system of rules and regulations that achieves these goals."

Gidado said the European Commission and European courts (including France's Supreme Court), twice have declared that these politically motivated bans on GM seeds in some countries as illegal and the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has stated that they lack any valid scientific justification. Moreover, these same countries are highly dependent on imports of biotech crops including soybeans.

She explained that, hybrid seeds produce a higher yield in the first year, but can't guarantee the same "hybrid vigor" in the second generation. "For this reason, professional farmers worldwide choose to buy and plant new hybrid seeds every year. Farmers make the decision whether to purchase hybrid seeds or non-hybrid seeds." She added that opening the Nigerian market to genetically modified seeds would not "force" farmers to buy seeds from Monsanto.

The position of the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya on GMOs and the private sector involvement in agriculture in Africa is also instructive. According to AGRA's Communication Director, Sylvia Mwuchili, AGRA welcomes and encourages open and inclusive debate on GMOs.

"AGRA itself does not invest in the development of GMOs or related genetic engineering activities. It supports the latest technological developments in conventional plant breeding efforts that build on and maintain the strengths of conventionally developed hybrids, improving their resilience in the face of pests, diseases and drought, and their efficiency in using available moisture and nutrients", Mwuchili said.

According to her, AGRA currently works with 16 National Research Institutes across Africa to put better seeds in the hands of farmers through conventional breeding programmes that are driving up productivity. She said that AGRA has been accused of trying to force regional economic communities (RECs) and individual countries to have draconian seed laws which will be to the benefit of large corporations and not small scale farmers, who neither have means or knowledge to patent their seed varieties.

"The seed policies and regulations of most African countries are outdated holdovers from an earlier era in which the state had responsibility for the entire seed value chain: developing improved varieties, testing them, releasing them for commercial use, producing certified seeds, and distributing (selling) the improved varieties to farmers."

Mwuchili disclosed that as with many such state-run enterprises, the lack of healthy competition and market forces, as well as the prevalence of entrenched bureaucratic interests, often mitigate against the efficient and cost effective delivery of improved seeds to farmers.

In general terms, she said AGRA believes in liberalizing seed policies, which is to say, reducing the stranglehold of the state on the seed industry and making room for African-owned and operated private seed companies to produce high-quality certified seeds that farmers can purchase in appropriate quantities and at affordable prices.

"To truly improve the productivity and profitability of smallholders, we advocate for the development of robust, well-adapted varieties and hybrids that can thrive in local agro-ecologies. Farmer preferences figure prominently in the development process, and the small-to-mid-sized private seed companies must respond to the needs of farmers, or they will simply go out of business," she said.

This, according to her, includes delivering certified seeds of improved, well-adapted crops to farmers when they need them and where they need them, and at affordable prices.

"While AGRA aims at strengthening the formal private seed sector in Africa, it also recognizes the importance of community-based seed enterprises and farmer-to-farmer seed exchanges. AGRA does not advocate for or against GMOs. We support conventional breeding research and development that improves the productivity of locally adapted crops and that involves farmers in the testing and selection process," she said.

According to Professor Ifeoma Okoye, Professor of Radiology, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Nsukka unregulated use of hormones, additives, antibiotics, preservatives in foods, over-processed foods, inorganic foods, use of sweeteners, easy availability of 'energy-dense nutrient poor' food products have all contributed to poor dietary habits and obesity and thus the current epidemic of Non-Communicable Diseases( NCDs).

"Thus an effective way to battle NCDs is to keep our immune cells strong and not fill ourselves with bad foods/lifestyle. Anti-oxidants obtained from consumption of adequate amounts of fruits, vegetables and exercise are needed to neutralize this free radical overload in the body and ensure a strong immune system. Anti-oxidants are the Holy Grail of youth and a disease-free life," she said.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201408180894.html

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Convention: Why Nigerian Govt Endorsed Oshiomhole As Party Chairman – SGF, M / FG Releases ₦185 Billion For Calabar-Itu Highway Dualisation / LP Chairman, Spokesman Differ Over Okupe's ‘Sacking’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.