Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,912 members, 7,802,969 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life (19777 Views)

How Was Service In Uni? Enlighten The JJC / Injustice In The Payment Of Lagos State NYSC Allowance / Nysc For Part-time Students Of Lagos City Polytechnic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by maclatunji: 10:31am On Oct 31, 2014
There is nothing I won’t see in this Lagos. Since I came to live here two months ago, I have seen all kinds of activities and all kinds of people. I have had so many experiences that I’ve simply had to put down. My lecturer once said that “The world is my lecturer and I am a lifelong student in it”. It was Shakespeare who in his play, As You Like It, wrote: “All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players”. I never understood the gravity of these two statements until I came to live in Lagos.

In this case, I would say that my teacher was the roads of Lagos, while my classroom was every one of the commercial buses which I boarded in my day to day transportation. To start with, the average Lagos life is defined by much hustle and bustle. This contributes to an ever increasing stress among the commuters. The frustrations of Lagos traffic, heat and rigorous work all contribute to a general annoyance and theses steadily build up into anger and transferred aggression everyday. Beft coming here, I heard I was going to experience a lot of stress. I once heard that Lagos or “Lasgidi” as many call it is a city of hustlers and that only the tough survive it. I once overheard someone say that “It is in Lagos that your eyes will be open”. Truly, my eyes were open to many things when I got here. Many of them I had seen before but of a less intense nature. Some, I had never seen before and were very peculiar, some even humorous.

I had heard that Lagos was a city of hustling and while going about my daily business, I saw people using all means possible to survive. Some were legitimate and lawful, others were for me quite dangerous. One of the stories I heard before coming was that you could buy all the ingredients to cook for your household in Lagos traffic. You could also get tools, cooking utensils, appliances and some types of furniture for the house. I had laughed it off and said it was impossible. Now, I would say that it was very much possible except the bit about the furniture which was exaggerated.That part sounded so strange and I simply could not imagine people carrying furniture on their heads such as arm chairs and dining tables to sell on the road. By the sides of many roads, you could see food ingredients ranging from food seasoning to vegetables, yams, grains, etc. All you needed to do was to indicate from the vehicle and they would all rush at you with each person trying to convince you that his or her foodstuff was the better one to buy. The roads also seem to be a kind of make-shift eatery as well. Many people (especially the lower middle class and below) would not see the need to go to a restaurant when snacks, drinks and food are sold on the road as well. The snacks are both the traditional ones such as Coco (cocoyam chips) and the adopted foreign ones such as pastries. The same goes with markets that sell phones, clothes, shoes and even films.

What I have noticed about many people in this area is that they seem to think nothing of dangers on the road as long as they can make money. From time to time, I see someone with a bag of garri, rice or a cooler of food on his or her head, running across the expressway to meet customers on the other side; this includes people with wheelbarrows and trolleys full of goods (some being as heavy as cement). In places where pedestrian bridges are provided, they usually do not use them. I believe they think that this seems to waste their time in making as much income as they can (time is also a very important factor here and a few minutes are usually precious to people who have businesses to attend to). In a traffic jam one day, a man came up to the bus. He looked like someone coming to beg and looked set to be ignored by many. Surprisingly, he greeted an Alhaja on the row before me saying “Salamaa’le kun, Ina wuni”. Then he came to me saying in Igbo language, ‘Ijeoma, gankeomaooo’ (wishing me a safe journey).To the person behind me, he greeted in Yoruba and to the people on the last seat of the bus, he spoke in English still saying the same thing. Amused by all this, the passengers gave him money not because of his begging but for the brief entertainment through his unique method of begging.

It continues here http://storried.com/jjc-corper-reflects-on-hustle-of-lagos-life/

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by maclatunji: 10:33am On Oct 31, 2014
I have lived virtually all of my life in Lagos but I found it hard to readjust after spending a year away because of NYSC. So, I can imagine how this guy feels about the city.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by bomkizle(m): 11:16am On Oct 31, 2014
Tell me more undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by TeamclicksAir: 11:17am On Oct 31, 2014
LasGidi state of mind......
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by richardjemedafe1(m): 11:17am On Oct 31, 2014
Story for the gods..how much will the OP pay me if I read all these write up??

HMmmmmm I can bet u that 90% of people that open this page dnt read ur writeup complete.....

(Learn to post in summary)

19 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by dotna(m): 11:17am On Oct 31, 2014
Eya

Life is beautiful

Land Rover Discovery SE7 Trail Edition for N1.7m (DASH)
https://www.nairaland.com/1973996/land-rover-discovery-se7-tokunbo
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by IAMGEJ(m): 11:17am On Oct 31, 2014
Na wa oh, this tin long die oh...

1 Like

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by Sunnycliff(m): 11:18am On Oct 31, 2014
Lagos, city of The idle Who pretends to be busy! I detest living in those shackled areas. Life is too precious to be abused! Team PH city

16 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by englishmart(m): 11:18am On Oct 31, 2014

Unlike other states, if you enter Lagos, there is no sign board that reads "welcome to Lagos. Instead this is what you see.
"This is Lagos. Shine your eyes." LOL
I think nobody is welcomed there. Anything you see, take am so

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by seunwen2(m): 11:18am On Oct 31, 2014
How that one take add money to my pocket
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by slimpoppa(m): 11:19am On Oct 31, 2014
Lagos is one crazy place.

3 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by tobaflexy1984: 11:19am On Oct 31, 2014
Dnt mind him or her jare dey have not see anytin that white fowl
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by dridowu: 11:20am On Oct 31, 2014
Hmmmmmmm, lagos na real rugged life. I love lagos with passion. Lagos life is fun. Sometime also lagos life can give you tears of joy.

8 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by lordhugo(m): 11:20am On Oct 31, 2014
Lagos na hard place o! Too fast paced for me!

I love my warri! High energy but much slower.

But queen Rozzay will do her best to make Nairaland a SOFT/EASY place! grin

Vote rozzay for miss Nairaland!

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/mexk3232og3f7h6clxo4nvx4cjqjfwr01109878[/img]

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by Omexonomy: 11:20am On Oct 31, 2014
Lagos is a place where people who dont take their bath and smells like soakaway patrol the streat. A place where touts are lord and king even police do give them chance. A place where the poor people spent more on partying. A place where laziness is hiGhly rewarding.

3 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by holyeye1989(m): 11:20am On Oct 31, 2014
Lagosstateofmind#
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by Ahmed4002(m): 11:22am On Oct 31, 2014
nah only him dey there? What about the two guys.
you just can't berra one time. You have to step step up.
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by godofwar666(m): 11:22am On Oct 31, 2014
And this later make fp undecided
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by Benbisco(f): 11:23am On Oct 31, 2014
Abeg, no hard feelings, but this stuff is too long. We dey office o make una dey post wetin we fit read sharp sharp before our ogas see wetin we dey do.

15 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by adedayourt(m): 11:23am On Oct 31, 2014
If you can survive in lagos you would survive any where in the world.

#fact

Even if u find yourself in hell, its gonna be a life goes on senerio lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by foluberry(f): 11:25am On Oct 31, 2014
If you weren't born and bred in Lagos, it's difficult to adjust especially when you've lived a buttered life somewhere outside lag but you have to be in lag for a job and better opportunities

N.B- Call for hygienically prepared fruit salad as an appetizer and dessert for all occassions.

1 Like

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by Blackchampion(m): 11:25am On Oct 31, 2014
Can sm1 pls summarize what dis OP wrote 4me abeg
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 31, 2014
Sunnycliff:
Lagos, city of The idle Who pretends to be busy! I detest living in those shackled areas. Life is too precious to be abused! Team PH city
keep consoling yourself...you wish...grin

5 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by Lagusta(m): 11:26am On Oct 31, 2014
Lagos, my birthplace...

But when i came down to ilorin for studies, i'm scared i may not adjust to the hustle and bustle like before...

I remember when i was in secondary school, pursuing molue, trying to hook up from PWD to agege, i cant forget those days....

Now the cool ilorin life don spoil me, wetin i fit do now

4 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by ideepaul: 11:27am On Oct 31, 2014
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by maclatunji: 11:29am On Oct 31, 2014
Lagusta:
Lagos, my birthplace...

But when i came down to ilorin for studies, i'm scared i may not adjust to the hustle and bustle like before...

I remember when i was in secondary school, pursuing molue, trying to hook up from PWD to agege, i cant forget those days....

Now the cool ilorin life don spoil me, wetin i fit do now

LOL. You have 2 choices:

1. Stay away from Lagos

2. Come back to Lagos.

The choice is yours.
Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by obeenah40(m): 11:29am On Oct 31, 2014
.LAGOS IS OVERRATED

#TEAM PH

9 Likes

Re: JJC Corper Reflects On Hustle Of Lagos Life by stanisbaratheon: 11:29am On Oct 31, 2014
Lagos; a city of inevitability

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Corpers Personal Charity Foundation Project / Jama’atu Nasril Islam Slams NYSC For Opening Orientation Camps During Ramadan / How Is Life In Kaduna?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.