Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,890 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Nigeria No More Jaga-jaga — Eedris Abdulkarim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria No More Jaga-jaga — Eedris Abdulkarim (593 Views)

Nigeria Jaga Jaga.... / Nigeria No More Jaga-jaga — Eedris Abdulkarim / Fela, Femi Falana, Eedris Abdulkarim, African China Deserve National Honors. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria No More Jaga-jaga — Eedris Abdulkarim by backtosender: 12:32pm On Oct 31, 2014
IN October, the Gulf International Technology Exhibition held in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, from October 12-16, with Nigeria as the official Country Partner of the event, reputed to be the biggest technology show in the MEASA (Miidle East, Africa and South Asia) region. The National Information Technology Development Agency, NITDA, actualized Nigeria’s status as official country partner at the event.
One of the highlights of Nigeria’s participation at GITEX was an Investors’Dinner which held at the Grand Hyatt Hotel on Sheikh Rashid Road in Dubai. A top Nigerian crooner, Eedris Abdulkarim, was billed to entertain guests at the gala dinner, but for what he called “technical problems”, he could not. In the interview below, Eedris disclosed why he could not perform, saying, Nigeria “is no more jaga-jaga!”Excerpts:
Eedris, what is a musician doing at GITEX 2014?

You know, as a Nigerian and an individual, I like to expand my reach — that is — I like to learn because I believe everybody learns every day. I am here in Dubai to perform during GITEX.
NITDA brought me here to perform; it was a beautiful experience, but the performance didn’t take place because of some technical problems and I also used the opportunity to know the age which we are in technology and I must say that technology has gone to digital science and anybody who is not literate with computer is living in the past.
I am here to expand my experience and to learn also to entertain my people.
What hitches prevented you from holding the show?
I came in with a tourist’s visa, and it was after this we then understood that I needed a work visa to perform. The work visa took two weeks to get, so I couldn’t perform, as the event had held. But definitely I would be performing in Nigeria on November 19th at the next NITDA event, which is the e-Nigeria event in Abuja.
Since your last album it seems you haven’t been active. What’s with you?
Basically because my kind of music talks about ills in the society, and it needs research which takes time, to know what is going on, evaluate the present government, then compare and contrast with the past governments. I must tell you that for the first time I’m very positive about this government. In three years, Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has been able to show Nigerians that there actually could be development.
Refurbishing of airports

Our airports are being refurbished. See our road from Lagos to Ore which has been there for fifteen years — he has done it. Now it’s three hours from Lagos to Benin. Also the Lagos-Ibadan road has also been there for years and Dr Jonathan is doing it.
I am positive about this government and it is my responsibility to use music as a platform to promote what he has done. NITDA is implementing the Transformation Agenda by adding values to the lives of our children, making sure there are a resource centres everywhere in the community and it is a beautiful thing. I’m really happy with the experience.
So, Nigeria is no more “jaga-jaga?”
No, no no! Twelve years ago Nigeria was jaga-jaga, but now Nigeria is no more jaga jaga, even though we know that the insecurity happening in Nigeria is propaganda against government, but Dr. Jonathan is doing his best and is trying.
This GITEX show is about technology. How do you think technology can improve your calling as an artiste?
Most of our recordings are now digital, no more analog, and you can see digital has gone into science. Everyone is improving every day, new softwares are coming up everyday, unlike when I produced my first album. Digital science has gone so deep that if we apply it, our music will go to the next level.
What’s your take on the kind of music making waves now?
For me, music is a call from God; He asked me to speak to the people, I speak for the voiceless. I don’t know about the other guys, but for me the music they play today is always talking about boobs, booty and all that. For me I think music should be educative, it should be a platform where you can educate people. Some wouldn’t know what education is all about but when they listen to music they learn. If you listen to my music 12years ago, I talked about the ills in the society.
I also remembered then when I came back from Egypt when I represented Nigeria at the Olympic Torch with Prof Pat Utomi, late Dora Akunyili, Chief Olusegun Odegbami and others, I came back and sang about the ills in the society. “Mr Lecturer” was one of them, Jaga-jaga was another. Those are the kinds of songs that I do and for me I think that is the best way to educate the people. There are lots of things to talk about; there is rape, there is insecurity and lot of more things to talk about. So why would you waste time singing about boobs and booty? It’s crazy.
Re: Nigeria No More Jaga-jaga — Eedris Abdulkarim by Rikidony(m): 1:04pm On Oct 31, 2014
AND U EXPECT MOU TO READ THAT LONG SHIAT

(1) (Reply)

Governor Fashola Declares Friday As Public Holiday For Lagos Workers / Who Is The Bigger Threat To Nigeria - Boko Haram Or GEJ / Is This Right? Do You See Anything Wrong With This ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.