Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. (27744 Views)

Know The Condition Of Every Organ In Ur Body / Oouth Development Project / Teens Accused Of Beating Disabled Woman : How Appalling! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by nationwide24: 11:43pm On Nov 01, 2014
MissMeiya:

No one who has been to a Teaching Hospital in Nigeria is surprised by this story. It's depressingly common. Maybe you need to go on an exexcursion.
Not in all Teaching Hospitals in Nigeria. There are some very clean teaching hospitals in Nigeria except you've never been to one. Btw, is OOUTH a federal or state institution?
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by philtrum(m): 11:58pm On Nov 01, 2014
TOKUGAWA, well I feel your pain,I understand every thing you put up there but some of them are rather "exaggerated"
1.) stinking and extremely dirty:- patients sometimes contribute to tat....what they eat, their drugs or some of them with body odour.... Their relatives also litter the whole place....
2.) Nurses are mean and unfriendly:- abeg tell me a place in Nigeria whr nurses are different.....They are not mean and unfriendly....they are strict and you Dont expect them to cry with you (most patients want this)..They can only sympathize for a little time...dats all
3.) About the power.There are big Generators in fact more than two.. It could be faulty tho(I'm very sure they are serviced as often as possible, since power is not stable and the government won't take responsibility fix things ...and those small ones are just for backup....)

4) You complained about paying for every thing(the main cause is because of (1)
5) If you don't know patients abscond without paying bills.....parents leave their kids in the wards and do not return....

6) Queuing up to 6 hours : OOUTH is a small place compared to UCH and others and patient number is relatively high so Doctors only attend those they can attend to....
7) Please which of the roofs are falling ....?? pictureOrAdontbliv....or give me the name of the ward I'll go see it for myself

One last thing Most facilities are not available because the government isn't doing anything about it....

4 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 12:15am On Nov 02, 2014
TOKUGAWA:
I was opportuned to visit the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching hospital shagamu Ogun state,o check on my mum who was about to have a Mastectomy surgery.What I saw was beyond pathetic.

I must say OOUTH is an eyesore. I would never pray my enemy visits that place. If not for the fact that the procedure can't be performed in my mum's hospital (NNPC Medical centre Mosimi shagamu). I wouldn't allow her stay a single night there. Stinking and extremely dirty.

The Nurses are very mean and unfriendly,u get to pay for everything from using of toilet and bathing. Power is never available, to use the generator the patients have to contribute money for fueling. You can queue upto 6 hours just to see a doctor.

Mosquito nets are either torn or non-existent. Over grown weeds have taken over the hospital, each block is run by a Petrol generator. Patients on admission have to beg the nurses before they can attend to them. The roofs are falling, the risks of infection is very high here.

The commissioner for health in Ogun state is the son of Wole Soyinka, I'm wondering what the governor does with the state's funds. Despite boasting of record revenue in the history of the state.

Can't imagine a whole Teaching Hospital can be this pathetic, infact I'm so embarrassed to be from Ogun state. Something has to be done, at night its flash lights galore, all the workers at the hospital owns a flash light because never expect power at night.

OOUTH is a glorified General Hospital, infact some general hospitals in Osun and Ondo state are far far better than OOUTH.

My dear you just described every single hospital in Nigeria
At the highest ranking Nigerian hospital in Abuja ,you have to carry ice bucket or cooler and enter Keke or taxi to go miles to a blood center to purchase blood for your relative undergoing surgery.
God help you if the surgery requires more blood than anticipated,na RIP be thats

I wish your mom well,if she needs radiation or chemotherapy afterwards ,I hope she follows through
If you can get her to India please do,Nigerian hospitals are no place for anyone with an illness beyond malaria

6 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 12:24am On Nov 02, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Oi, what did you expect?

You see, our hospitals are in a bad state because the amount of money spent on them is not enough.

And before you call for increased spending....keep in mind that what the hospital in the UK spends per annum would be about what six, maybe ten (my estimate) teaching hosptals share in Nigeria.

You see, in Nigeria, we have subsidsed health care. This means the govt pays hospitals a fee in return for keeping costs low. The problem is, this limits the amount of money a hospital can raise. Add the fact that if fees go up...there will be rebellion on the streets....and you have the mess we have.

There is also the problem of poor light and water supply, as well as the fact that our hospital facilities are overstretched by the Grand Nigerian Tradition of the family moving into the hospital when someone falls ill. Toilet facilities meant for ten suddenly end up being used by eighty.

There is a solution....and the immediate solution means turning that hospital into a public private entity. And spending more on primary and secondary health care...because 90% of cases seen in outpatients in a teaching hospital could have been taken care of in a PHC.

We may have to increase taxes. And remove fuel subsidy. Because it does not make sense wasting money subsidizing a product of which 40% is imported....the subsidy cash can go into funding hospitals.

Of course...we have to improve power supply. And long term we have to become industrial.....so that our GDP and by extension our treasury would grow.,....and we would have enough cash to fund hospitals galore.

You see....Nigeria does not have enough money because we are a Dutch diseased society. Until we make some hard choices....poor health care is going to be the price we pay for ''cheap''.

In other words, the medical directors should stop stealing. What effect would an increased revenue be of, with a big hole in the pocket?

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 12:27am On Nov 02, 2014
popcykaylah:
imagine that.. and we get minister for health ..later some mofos go say gej till year 3000..people keep dying from bomb blast, sickness, accidents and most of all poverty. and our Mr president can only think about campaign and blocking the whole vi and ikoyi.I only pity our kids
I dont support GEJ tho ... but we cant blame him for this .

3 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 12:31am On Nov 02, 2014
was watching dubai healthcare city the other time , Nigeria has a long way to go ... it is not just in the hands of our politicians alone .

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Tonylyte(m): 1:09am On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:
Never mention Wole Soyinka's son or the APC in the mess we find ourselves in. The crook called Onyebuchi Chukwu, and the crook CMD had the mandate to make the hospital world class, but instead of doing so, they stole the money! Oh i recall GEJ calls it "ordinary stealing". Just like the people of Bukina Faso burnt down their presidential villa so shall it be to Aso Rock, the Haramites and the Jonathanians, should they scuttle our bid to retake power! Do the right thing and vote them out. All the best to your mama!

-CramJones
Crimes-jokes, u re a hypocrite like your apc allies. If the federal govt repairs that hospital and puts things in other and start recording successful treatments and cure of EBOLA diesease, you and your cohorts will be the first to start shouting ''credits shouldnt be given to the federal govt but the apc governor for the successful containment of the ebola virus'' now that things are going the other way round you are blaming the federal govt. Balderdash.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Tonylyte(m): 1:17am On Nov 02, 2014
lordnammy:
is it a state teaching hospital or federal; whose responsibility is it state or federal: is the university state or federal? Did the state not received their allocation? Lets be mature think and talk like leaders of tomorrow.
Crime-jokes is a phool like his apc allies...they claim the glory recorded by federal govt(gej) owned hospitals and jettison their(apc) own shortcommings.

4 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by huptin(m): 1:27am On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:
Never mention Wole Soyinka's son or the APC in the mess we find ourselves in. The crook called Onyebuchi Chukwu, and the crook CMD had the mandate to make the hospital world class, but instead of doing so, they stole the money! Oh i recall GEJ calls it "ordinary stealing". Just like the people of Bukina Faso burnt down their presidential villa so shall it be to Aso Rock, the Haramites and the Jonathanians, should they scuttle our bid to retake power! Do the right thing and vote them out. All the best to your mama!

-CramJones

Mr cram Jones I have neve responded to your comments before but this one up there is the grandfather of all absurdities, how can you mention a federal minister's name in a matter that absolutely involves a state?

While I like Amosun's strident developmental steps in Ogun state, it is obvious that he has apparently not paid enough attention to the health sector, why not encourage him to do so instead of calling onyebuchi's name.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by delishpot: 1:37am On Nov 02, 2014
Op, my prayers are with you and mama o. Tell her that I delishpot is wishing her a successful surgery and very quick recovery.

When she comes out and gets better, we will discuss how she will fill my adoption form wink.
Eh, I just said a prayer for her.
Pkele, its going to be well again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by jwillng: 2:05am On Nov 02, 2014
This is commonplace in Naija bros. Beautiful structures erected-with no plan to maintain them. Whether its America or Europe or Asia or Africa-if you dont maintain something-it will depreciate and decay.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by skyeboy98(m): 4:16am On Nov 02, 2014
Hmmm op I feel for u ooo,come to think of it what ve we done wrong to all this politicians to deserved this? Ma question is, is this how things wil continue?

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by easytask(m): 4:34am On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:

-CramJones

This is a State Owned Institution, what has Chukwu or Jonathan got to do with it.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by faboben10: 5:22am On Nov 02, 2014
Wish ur mum quick recuperation
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by drkay(m): 5:27am On Nov 02, 2014
Hmmm, my dear alma mata has suffered leadership problem.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Lucasbalo(m): 5:39am On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:

-CramJones
They are all guilty my friend. That's why Nigeria is in a mess that it is. The Feds and the State Govt. are equally to blame. None of the political leaders or their families will ever go for treatment in those lousy stinking place. I hope Nigerian youths revolt and do like the youths of Burkina Faso hence Nigeria will be eternal third world. The funny thing is that some of the people condemning the hospital are the same people that idolize politicians that are oppressing them. Politicians and their oligarch friends fly abroad for their medical needs and leave their subjects to die in some subhuman hospital .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by otokx(m): 5:48am On Nov 02, 2014
More pictures are needed but truth be told the average Nigerian is very dirty. There is no light and no water in most of Nigeria and thats not news. You have to pay for the non existence of basic infrastructure even after paying taxes. Both PDP and APC are both different sides of the same coin and truly rewarding us accordingly.

3 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by binladen(m): 5:59am On Nov 02, 2014
Though oouth is a crap like every other government hospital in d country. It's has a poor structure and facilities. You can never understand until u have a relative there. But it still gat some brain if not your mum mega furnished nnpc hospital won't send her there.
Female surgical ward is usually the dirtiest with stinks in most hospital.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by iykbethany(m): 6:30am On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:

-CramJones

This is Ogun State Government owned institution, it has nothing to do with Jonathan. There is no need for you to play politics in every thread.

Some of us are ready for a change, but the way you guys are playing this game it seems we will stick with Jonathan. So many criminals are ganging up in full force just to take power away, I dont think they have anything to offer.

As a man that preach change, that change should start from you. See how you shifted the blame to Jonathan? Does that portray you as an honest Nigerian that wants change?

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by redsun(m): 6:31am On Nov 02, 2014
We don't take pride in our surroundings in Nigeria. If we do we won't have all those dusty pavements,littered street and ditch filled roads. We lack building and maintenance culture acutely.

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Lexusgs430: 6:38am On Nov 02, 2014
It goes to show the extent of decay in some basic aspects of human needs.
The government does not seem to think health is a basic need.
All those new hospitals they keep commissioning, why not spend the funds, updating older establishment.
Each Governor wants to make a grand-stand(using such to divert funds), rather than maintaining and equipping old establishments.
Why would they care about the health of the masses, when their is always a private jet or enough funds(stolen) available, to fund treatments abroad? Places they go for treatment,they see how well maintained and funded this hospitals are, and they do not think of replicating such services @ home ?
Shame on our so - called rulers !!!!

2 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by emsheddy(m): 6:39am On Nov 02, 2014
iykbethany:

This is Ogun State Government owned institution, it has nothing to do with Jonathan. There is no need for you to play politics in every thread.

Some of us are ready for a change, but the way you guys are playing this game it seems we will stick with Jonathan. So many criminals are ganging up in full force just to take power away, I dont think they have anything to offer.

As a man that preach change, that change should start from you. See how you shifted the blame to Jonathan? Does that portray you as an honest Nigerian that wants change?
God bless u my brother. The way these dudes r going about this whole thing, i wont be surprised if peeps stick to GEJ. Any little things, we hear cries from APC fans to PDP and vice versa. Rubbish!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 7:15am On Nov 02, 2014
TOKUGAWA:
I was opportuned to visit the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching hospital shagamu Ogun state,o check on my mum who was about to have a Mastectomy surgery.What I saw was beyond pathetic.

I must say OOUTH is an eyesore. I would never pray my enemy visits that place. If not for the fact that the procedure can't be performed in my mum's hospital (NNPC Medical centre Mosimi shagamu). I wouldn't allow her stay a single night there. Stinking and extremely dirty.

The Nurses are very mean and unfriendly,u get to pay for everything from using of toilet and bathing. Power is never available, to use the generator the patients have to contribute money for fueling. You can queue upto 6 hours just to see a doctor.

Mosquito nets are either torn or non-existent. Over grown weeds have taken over the hospital, each block is run by a Petrol generator. Patients on admission have to beg the nurses before they can attend to them. The roofs are falling, the risks of infection is very high here.

The commissioner for health in Ogun state is the son of Wole Soyinka, I'm wondering what the governor does with the state's funds. Despite boasting of record revenue in the history of the state.

Can't imagine a whole Teaching Hospital can be this pathetic, infact I'm so embarrassed to be from Ogun state. Something has to be done, at night its flash lights galore, all the workers at the hospital owns a flash light because never expect power at night.

OOUTH is a glorified General Hospital, infact some general hospitals in Osun and Ondo state are far far better than OOUTH.
JOURNALISM ISNT JUST ALL ABOUT WRITING ITS HAS TO DO WITH THE VISUAL ASPECT OF UR STORY.
n back to d topic of d day sabi na d.one way u see u dey talk der more dat.cant be regarded or called health centers or hospital self na just GOD go save us all.
HAPPY SUNDAY TO ALL.NL
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 02, 2014
adonbilivit:
ABU zaria teaching hospital shika is the best. best believe
...you can have ur dinner in the toilet...yeah, it is that neat and kept.

True talk and I'm not disputing your fact. I'm a Zaria born and brought up. But have you been UDUTH? I mean Usman DanFodio University Teaching Hospital?. You are gonna be wowed. To say the fact, most public hospital in the West and south West are not that standard. I'm from the west too and when you know the fact, you say it.
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 02, 2014
cramjones:

-CramJones

We shall see about these threats soon. You want to retake power that doesn't belong to you by force. Power belongs to the Nigerian people and come February 2015 they will make a choice of who they want to lead them. If your master buhari loses and you people try to repeat the event of 2011, we will gladly join u in destroying what remains of this country. Just mess around in 2015

4 Likes

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by drealdoc89(m): 7:21am On Nov 02, 2014
Dreambeat:
@Op,I wish your mum soonest recovery.On a different note,what you saw was not peculiar to the hospital you mentioned but cuts across all the tertiary health institutions across the nation.This is what the NMA has been fighting to stem,the sorry state of our health institutions.Alas doctors were called different derogatory names.The citizens of this country have to stand up and do something fast otherwise things will get worse.
Its fallacy to categorically say that what the OP talked about cuts across all tertiary health institutions. My question to you is, how many have you being to?
Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 7:21am On Nov 02, 2014
gboss4sure:

We shall see about these threats soon. You want to retake power that doesn't belong to you by force. Power belongs to the Nigerian people and come February 2015 they will make a choice of who they want to lead them. If your master buhari loses and you people try to repeat the event of 2015, we will gladly join u in destroying what remains of this country. Just mess around in 2015
keep.it up i pity ur mumsi

1 Like

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by anonimi: 7:23am On Nov 02, 2014
Dreambeat:
@Op,I wish your mum soonest recovery.On a different note,what you saw was not peculiar to the hospital you mentioned but cuts across all the tertiary health institutions across the nation.This is what the NMA has been fighting to stem,the sorry state of our health institutions.Alas doctors were called different derogatory names.The citizens of this country have to stand up and do something fast otherwise things will get worse.

I thought NMA was fighting the other professionals over pay and superiority

The situation in the hospital is not unique but replicated in most of our government facilities. It boils down to staff MOTIVATION and absence of MAINTENANCE culture among ALL of us.
Why will nurses, cleaners etc not extort money from patients and visitors if they are paid on the basis of N18,000 minimum wage while a 25-year old, ATTENDED Secondary school LGA Councillor is guaranteed N300,000 salary? shocked
Are we not the CLUELESS citizens bragging about how much IGR our state governors raised from our wallets, pockets, bags and handbags rather than be CONCERNED about whether services, utilities, infrastructure etc have also improved by as MANY times Just as an example, Lagos IGR has increased 34 times from 1999 to 2013 but has government performance all over the state also improved 34 times?

When was the last time we [anyone of us] repainted/refurbished/renovated our shop/office/house
We all need to have our heads examined angry

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Appalling Condition Of The OOUTH Shagamu. by GraceInUSA: 7:25am On Nov 02, 2014
Of course, all nurses in government hospitals aint friendly and are mean.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NABDA COVID-19 Test Kit: Nigeria Develops, Launches COVID-19 Test Kit / Israeli Technology Can Now Freeze Cancer Cells / Which Song Is The Best To Listen To While Waiting For Your HIV Test Result?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.