Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,008 members, 7,806,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? (3260 Views)

Opinion: Courses That Are Easy To Obtain A FIRST CLASS Degree / For those with 3rd class degree take these steps!!!! / I Did Not Make 3rd Class Degree(Soyinka) I Made 2:1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by FiremanJr(m): 1:00pm On Nov 19, 2008
hey nairalanders! I am a student of FUT Minna and the question is; Is a first class degree worth it in our terrible economy. I am in 200L Elect/Comp Engineering and I am presently holding a first class GP and with every day that goes by I wonder if its worth it. The Irony of the Nigerian education system countinues to weigh me down. We keep studying formulas, equations, uses etc with no exposure to the actual applications of these theories. Lecturers are not helping matters either. So is it just me or there's something else to it. Becuase I cant help but think that even with a first class degree in a Nigerian Institution, one can not still make any difference.

I want to believe that my judgement is still being clouded with youthfull exuberance so honourable nairalanders let me know what you think. Adiose

1 Like

Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 19, 2008
The simple answer is "It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

Have you never read the job section on this nairaland so? You no see 2.1 and 1st class only tire?!

1 Like

Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by FiremanJr(m): 8:37am On Nov 20, 2008
You are absolutely right. I guess I'll go visit the job section of nairaland.Nairalanders,we need bits of wisdom like that of my fellow nairalander. Every bit counts
Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by server34(m): 10:10pm On Nov 20, 2008
@ Poster, my advice for you is to put a lot of effort to finish with your first class degree. Its Elect Engr for dat matter. When you finish, lots of opportunities await you. Don't get confused with the mentality associated with the people around you that the Nigerian economy is bad, and hence u cant make it.

True, with a first class degree from a Nigerian university just alone, u really cant make 'the difference', but believe me, the degree puts you in a better position to get a great job, or scholarship opportunities to top universities in the world, then u can make 'the difference' ur talking about.

1 Like

Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by FiremanJr(m): 9:52am On Nov 21, 2008
@server 34. Your post was really encouraging. It throws a new light to the issue. Thanks. This thread is getting the kind of replies that can go a long way in helping a lot of different people. The discussion remains open my fellow nairalanders
Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by djkunect(m): 10:30pm On Dec 03, 2008
Oh my God! Why should we run away from getting First class. Anything worth doing at all is worth doing well. During a screening lately in a big firm, all applicants were asked to leave except those with first class.
Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by rasabtol(m): 9:20am On Dec 04, 2008
what is worth doing is worth doing well.
Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by danfido(m): 4:53pm On Dec 22, 2008
Iive just entered my first year in sch. My dream is to graduate not just with a first class degree, but to be the Best Graduating Student of my set, what do you pls suggest I should do, in order to be the top- notch student I've always dreamed of?
Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by danfido(m): 4:54pm On Dec 22, 2008
I've just entered my first year in school. My dream is to graduate not just with a first class degree, but to be the Best Graduating Student of my set, what do you pls suggest I should do, in order to be the top- notch student I've always dreamed of?
Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by FiremanJr(m): 11:19am On Dec 24, 2008
@danfido
Depending on the course you're reading and the flexibility of ur school, the sky is ur limit.Dedication and hardwork is what anybody will tell you. But I believe that asides from these, a desire to proove to someone or some people is a very strong factor. I acquired my first class status just because I wanted to let people know that u dont have to be badly dressed and negligent of urself and social being all in the name of first class. You'll soon see for urself that 90% of first class students are guilty of this. I also wanted people to take me seriously. So my advice for u is to ask urself if u really want a first class cuz when u know what u want, getting it should be a piece of cake.

3 Likes

Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by kinibd(m): 4:27pm On Sep 01, 2015
danfido:
Iive just entered my first year in sch. My dream is to graduate not just with a first class degree, but to be the Best Graduating Student of my set, what do you pls suggest I should do, in order to be the top- notch student I've always dreamed of?

@dandifo, this post of yours has been close to 7 yrs, how did the journey go and were you able to achieve your dreams?
Re: Is A First Class Degree Worth It In Nigeria? by Richiez(m): 4:59pm On Sep 01, 2015
Nice Thread...

(1) (Reply)

Worst Primary School There Is in Nigeria?- Pathetic Pictures! / What Is The Jamb Combination For Food Science / Internal Memo Of Katsina State University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.