Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,725 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! (14049 Views)

Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver / From catholic To "Catholic" And Back To catholic! / Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by SalC: 8:26am On Nov 01, 2014
All Saints' Day (in the Roman Catholic Church officially the Solemnity of All Saints and also called All Hallows or Hallowmas[1]), often shortened to All Saints, is a solemnity celebrated on 1 November by parts of Western Christianity, and on the first Sunday after Pentecost in Eastern Christianity, in honor of all the saints, known and unknown.

In Western Christian theology, the day commemorates all those who have attained the beatific vision in Heaven. It is a national holiday in many historically Catholic countries. In the Roman Catholic Church, the next day, All Souls' Day, specifically commemorates the departed faithful who have not yet been purified and reached heaven. Catholics celebrate All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day in the fundamental belief that there is a prayerful spiritual communion between those in the state of grace who have died and are either being purified in purgatory or are in heaven (the 'church penitent' and the 'church triumphant', respectively), and the 'church militant' who are the living. Other Christian traditions define, remember and respond to the saints in different ways.

In the West

The Western Christian holiday of All Saints' Day falls on November 1, followed by All Souls' Day on November 2, and is a Holy Day of Obligation in the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church.

The origin of the festival of All Saints celebrated in the West dates to May 13, 609 or 610, when Pope Boniface IV consecrated the Pantheon at Rome to the Blessed Virgin and all the martyrs; the feast of the dedicatio Sanctae Mariae ad Martyres has been celebrated at Rome ever since. There is evidence that from the fifth through the seventh centuries there existed in certain places and at sporadic intervals a feast date 13 May to celebrate the holy martyrs.

The feast of All Saints, on its current date, is traced to the foundation by Pope Gregory III (731.741) of an oratory in St. Peter's for the relics "of the holy apostles and of all saints, martyrs and confessors, of all the just made perfect who are at rest throughout the world", with the day moved to 1 November and the 13 May feast suppressed.

A November festival of all the saints was already widely celebrated on November 1 in the days of Charlemagne. It was made a day of obligation throughout the Frankish empire in 835, by a decree of Louis the Pious, issued "at the instance of Pope Gregory IV and with the assent of all the bishops", which confirmed its celebration on November 1. The octave was added by Pope Sixtus IV (1471.1484).

The festival was retained after the Reformation in the calendar of the Anglican Church and in many Lutheran churches. In the Lutheran churches, such as the Church of Sweden, it assumes a role of general commemoration of the dead. In the Swedish calendar, the observance takes place on the Saturday between October 31 and November 6. In many Lutheran Churches, it is moved to the first Sunday of November. It is also celebrated by other Protestants of the English tradition, such as the United Church of Canada, the Methodist churches, and the Wesleyan Church.

Protestants generally regard all true Christian believers as saints and if they observe All Saints Day at all they use it to remember all Christians both past and present. In the United Methodist Church, All Saints' Day is celebrated on the first Sunday in November. It is held, not only to remember Saints, but also to remember all those that have died that were members of the local church congregation.[10] In some congregations, a candle is lit by the Acolyte as each person's name is called out by the clergy. Prayers and responsive readings may accompany the event. Often, the names of those who have died in the past year are afixed to a memorial plaque.

In many Lutheran churches, All Saints' Day and Reformation Day are observed concurrently on the Sunday before or after those dates, given Reformation Day is observed in Protestant Churches on October 31. Typically, Martin Luther's A Mighty Fortress is Our God is sung during the service. Besides discussing Luther's role in the Protestant Reformation, some recognition of the prominent early leaders of the Reformed tradition, such as John Calvin and John Knox, occurs. The observance of Reformation Day may be immediately followed by a reading of those members of the local congregation who have died in the past year in observance of All Saints' Day. Otherwise, the recognition of deceased church members occurs at another designated portion of the service.

Roman Catholic Obligation

In the Roman Catholic Church, All Saints' Day is a Holy Day of Obligation in many (but not all) countries, meaning going to Mass on the date is required unless one has a good reason to be excused from that obligation, such as illness. However, in a number of countries that do list All Saints' Day as a Holy Day of Obligation, including England & Wales, the solemnity of All Saints' Day is transferred to the adjacent Sunday if 1 November falls on a Monday or a Saturday, while in the same circumstances in the United States the Solemnity is still celebrated on November 1 but the obligation to attend Mass is abrogated.

In English-speaking countries, the festival is traditionally celebrated with the hymn "For All the Saints" . The most familiar tune for this hymn is Sine Nomine by Ralph Vaughan Williams. Catholics generally celebrate with a day of rest consisting of avoiding physical exertion

http://www.catholic.org/saints/allsaints/

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by SalC: 8:57am On Nov 01, 2014
Today, we again celebrate the annual "ALL SAINTS' DAY" . A day we celebrate the known and unknown saints, a day we pray with the saints, look at the life of the saints. Meditate on their life and sayings, appreciate them for their good fight of faith. And try henceforth to emulate them.

It's also a holy day of obligation in the mother church,

Today we pray with the saints as they pray for us in unison before God.......

You too can be a saint!
HAPPY ALL SAINTS' DAY BRETHREN

19 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by titoetal(m): 9:09am On Nov 01, 2014
Happy All Saints' day dearest and to all who commemorate this feast.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the COMMUNION of SAINTS, the Resurrection of the body and life everlasting, Amen.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by Syncan(m): 9:14am On Nov 01, 2014
May their lives inspire us, and may the good Lord see us through, till the race is won.

How God will judge my life I know not, but I trust he will see me with mercy and compassion. I am only certain there will be three surprises in Heaven.
First of all, I will see some people whom I never expected to see.

Second, there will be a number whom I expected who will not be there.

And - even relying on God’s mercy - the biggest surprise of all may be that I will be there
"...Fulton J sheen.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by mmsen: 11:33am On Nov 01, 2014
Happy idolatry day.

6 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by vest(m): 11:54am On Nov 01, 2014
mmsen:
Happy idolatry day.
Same To You And Ur Miserable Life

23 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by POPEII: 9:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
Thank you and Amen Sal C
Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by urheme: 9:59pm On Nov 01, 2014
mmsen:
Happy idolatry day.

Your are very correct.

There are a lot of barbaric practices in the roman catholic church, an organised religion packed up with all sort of scare tactic.

You uproot a dead man and call it saint for purpose of worship, this is a criminal act for which the united nation must hold yet another convention to prohibit it.

And those in surport say ai
The ai has it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by mmsen: 1:16am On Nov 02, 2014
vest:
Same To You And Ur Miserable Life

Whatever happened to the xtian spirit of compassion..

Did the Pope also say that "love thy neighbour" no longer applies?

5 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by virginboy1(m): 1:31am On Nov 02, 2014
I personally needs medidation and spiritual intervation. My lifesytle is gradually going sour,
I tried so hard to portray the life of St paul and some well known saint,but it was still very difficult.
I give to all the Saints,its not easy living a complete chaste life in this worldly earth.
HAPPY ALL SAINTS DAY.

Some non believers will come and derail...

*TeamTolenrance*

6 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by justi4jesu(f): 7:52am On Nov 02, 2014
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

[img][/img]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by soldierdollar(m): 7:52am On Nov 02, 2014
Happy all saints to the "Roman " Catholics . As you remember the " saints " today , I would like to usher my gifts to you . Am giving u guys a recharge card printing software and manual for free .

Download from http://naijasuya..com/2014/10/recharge-card-printing-manual.html?m=1
Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by mcdokwe(m): 7:53am On Nov 02, 2014
Today is All Souls

2 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 02, 2014
As we celebrate the day and thank our creator.

let's also remember to
Vote...NABSPRADA (Miss Nairaland 2014)
https://www.nairaland.com/nabsprada

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by klem93(m): 7:53am On Nov 02, 2014
I wish all my catholic friends happy all saint day

8 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by kunlesehan(m): 7:53am On Nov 02, 2014
Happy new month y'all

3 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by morbid: 7:53am On Nov 02, 2014
Ok
Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by jaybiz007(m): 7:53am On Nov 02, 2014
Saints day? OK, I guess my knowledge of history just increased.
Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by holyboss: 7:54am On Nov 02, 2014
Can somebody tell me when is the unsaint day? rolleyes
Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by Kelvin0(m): 7:54am On Nov 02, 2014
Happy to be a saint.... grin
Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 02, 2014
Ok, Happy Sunday Nairalanderz.
Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by alotofgrace(m): 7:55am On Nov 02, 2014
all saints......

well, but on a second thought, why cant we just have one body of church. after all we all believe in God, Christ.

i get paused when i hear roman catholic, Anglican, Coptic church, latter day saints, them (Jehovah witness lipsrsealed), Pentecostal, cele, kerubu and serafu (white garment church) Presbyterian, and those exclusive catholics like movement for mother mary.........

nawa o

2 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by LordMecuzy(m): 7:55am On Nov 02, 2014
I Would Attend 2 Masses today and light a candle in D grave yard to remember all my dead loved ones

5 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 02, 2014
Happy birthday to muah ooo. Chai i was here o

1 Like

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by LORDI(m): 7:56am On Nov 02, 2014
Haappy suunday nlder.
Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by austinbrown: 7:56am On Nov 02, 2014
urheme:

Your are very correct.

There are a lot of barbaric practices in the roman catholic church, an organised religion packed up with all sort of scare tactic.

You uproot a dead man and call it saint for purpose of worship, this is a criminal act for which the united nation must hold yet another convention to prohibit it.

And those in surport say ai
The ai has it

. Mad man

11 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by Cymbal: 7:57am On Nov 02, 2014
Happy Sunday brethren.May the blessing of God be with us all.

2 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by BrAkingNews: 7:58am On Nov 02, 2014
good
Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by Johnnoo(m): 7:58am On Nov 02, 2014
You too can be a Saint wink
Keep striving & the Grace of God will perfect others

3 Likes

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by nkpommpko(m): 7:58am On Nov 02, 2014
I Never pray to God finish na some dead men na him I go go pray to. Why?

1 Like

Re: Happy All Saints' Day To Catholic: You Too Can Be A Saint! by Iykebestbt(m): 7:58am On Nov 02, 2014
Happy all saints day

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Impact Of The Church To The Economy Of Nigeria - Daniel Osato Edegbe Uddo / Debate An Atheist / Drop Your Quote Here And Bless Someone:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.