Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,887 members, 7,806,569 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Is The Holy Spirit A Person? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Holy Spirit A Person? (1319 Views)

God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:04pm On Nov 01, 2014
Is the Holy Spirit a person? Is the Holy Spirit a force? Is the Holy Spirit the personification of God's power? When thinking about the Holy Spirit, can we think of him as a Person?

http://www.gotquestions.org/Holy-Spirit-person.html
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by CANTICLES: 4:09pm On Nov 03, 2014
Lols, the holyspirit is a person so it had sex with Mary right ?? Honestly speaking .... Religion is brainwashed !!! That what d trinity doctrine has led to , No Wonder i heard a religious group tell me that fornication is not a sin , I asked why ?? The guy said didnt i read in the bible that holyspirit fornicated with mary before her mariage ..... I cant just stop laughin at his ideas !! TRUTHBOX: the holyspirit is not a person, so as to have sex with mary or be regarded as the father of Christ .. But its the " POWER of God" Luke 1:35

1 Like

Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by rutibaby(f): 4:19pm On Nov 03, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
Is the Holy Spirit a person? Is the Holy Spirit a force? Is the Holy Spirit the personification of God's power? When thinking about the Holy Spirit, can we think of him as a Person?

Yes. He is a person. The third person in the God head.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by CANTICLES: 4:55pm On Nov 03, 2014
rutibaby:

person indeed !! So it obviously had sex with Mary , and Jesus was born ?? .... Impregnating Mary and thus bcame the Father of Jesus ?? Try and think straight beacause the scriptures itself has explained it has " POWER of the most High God" Luke 1:35 ..... Answer dis : if the holyspirit is a person, why is it " poured out" Act 2:17 ?? Bcoz a person can not be poured out like water

1 Like

Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by paulGrundy(m): 9:47pm On Nov 03, 2014
CANTICLES:
person indeed !! So it obviously had sex with Mary , and Jesus was born ?? .... Impregnating Mary and thus bcame the Father of Jesus ?? Try and think straight beacause the scriptures itself has explained it has " POWER of the most High God" Luke 1:35 ..... Answer dis : if the holyspirit is a person, why is it " poured out" Act 2:17 ?? Bcoz a person can not be poured out like water

“And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption”.
Ephesians 4:30

Can you grieve a force?

Rom.8:27 He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the spirit is, because he makes intercession for the saints,"

1 Cor.12:11: "But the one and the same spirit works all these things dividing to each one as He wills.

Does a force have a will?

Acts 8.29: The Spirit spoke to Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it."

Rev 2-3: "Let him hear what the Spirit says to the Churches"

Rev 22.17[b]:The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"[/b]

Can a force speak?

Romans 8.16: The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

Can a force testify?
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by ChristisGod: 10:02pm On Nov 03, 2014
THE HOLY SPIRIT IS GOD

ALL SINS SHALL BE FORGIVEN EXCEPT BLASPHEMY AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by CANTICLES: 10:26am On Nov 04, 2014
Knockout to all the prophets of Baal ........ Its not uncommon for the scriptures to personify a thing ! Wisdom is said to help God to create the world as stated in prov 8:30, Christ Jesus himself personify wisdom again saying it has children?? Is wisdom a person so as to have children ..... Now Lets Dive Into The Deep Things Of God!!! Jesus himself personify the holyspirit by using " he" ... Did i say personify ?? Yes, of course infact its high time u let the scripture explains itself on what the holyspirit is , when the scripture say the spirit intercedes in rome 8:26 , its explained, that this was done thru Jesus Christ ( Rom 8: 34) !! When The scripture says the spirit spoke , honestly this is done thru an Angel, or a man ( compare Act 21:3, and Act 21:10,11) .... While revelation 2:7 says the spirit spoke, this was done thru Jesus (rev 1:1) .... So, let the scriptures now give the meaning of holyspirit , Matthew 3:11 " that one will baptize u people with holyspirit and fire" !! Gud, is fire a person??
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by CANTICLES: 10:53am On Nov 04, 2014
So, if fire is not a person ... What makes u absurdly think the holyspirit mentioned is a person !!! "Baptized with" exactly as water ...... SCRIPTURES EXPLAINED : ACT 1:8 "but you will receive power when the holyspirit arrive upon u" ! This scripture shows its d power of God! ...... Luke 1:35 explains d holyspirit as the " POWER of the most High" ! Walla power again ...... Rome 15:13,19 Explains as " May God fill u with ..... The POWER of the holypsirit"power again!!! Luke 4:14 explains "Jesus returned in the power of the spirit" described as power again !!! This helps Jesus to perform many powerful works(Act 2:22) The Father Controls and give out this force to equip us with POWER (LUK 11:13, lik a generator emits current, holyspirit emits from d Father 1the4:8,Act 2:32,33)Apostle Paul examines "for all things i have the strenght by virtue of him (God) who imparts Power to me" phili 4:13,dats why pple can be " Filled with" it Act 2:4,&it can be " poured out"Act 10:45
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by paulGrundy(m): 11:17am On Nov 04, 2014
CANTICLES:
Knockout to all the prophets of Baal ........ Its not uncommon for the scriptures to personify a thing ! Wisdom is said to help God to create the world as stated in prov 8:30, Christ Jesus himself personify wisdom again saying it has children?? Is wisdom a person so as to have children ..... Now Lets Dive Into The Deep Things Of God!!! Jesus himself personify the holyspirit by using " he" ... Did i say personify ?? Yes, of course infact its high time u let the scripture explains itself on what the holyspirit is , when the scripture say the spirit intercedes in rome 8:26 , its explained, that this was done thru Jesus Christ ( Rom 8: 34) !! When The scripture says the spirit spoke , honestly this is done thru an Angel, or a man ( compare Act 21:3, and Act 21:10,11) .... While revelation 2:7 says the spirit spoke, this was done thru Jesus (rev 1:1) .... So, let the scriptures now give the meaning of holyspirit , Matthew 3:11 " that one will baptize u people with holyspirit and fire" !! Gud, is fire a person??

Saying it in that manner would have been appropraite. The reason why am scared of watchtowers version is that its heavily baised and its used to reinforce their trinity doctrine.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by fortizo4u: 2:25pm On Nov 04, 2014
The Holy Spirit is a person.
He is not a formless impersonal entity .
He is the third person of the God Head, God The Father The Son and The Holy Spirit.
He is the Last but the first to be revealed gen1:2. ...and the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
The Holy spirit is the doer of Gods work . He is the one that brings the word of God to us otherwise you will never b able to hear God , He make the Word of God communicable to you .
The Holy Spirit is like you and me . He has head, nose , eyes , mouth, hands, legs . remember the bible said "let us make man in our own image".
He was actually the that created you prov 33:4. it wasn't the Father that created you , it was the Holy Spirit that made you , He Carries out the work of God , God speaks and the Holy Spirit does the work
He is the spirit of God , God never leaves His Throne, He's always on His throne. If God wanted to move from here to their He doesn't have to get up and go their, the one one that proceed from Him is called the sprit of God (The Holy Spirit). He look like Him , He's One with Him.
The Holy spirit is the person of the God Head that function in different place at the same time.the Father doesn't do that . The father remains on the throne. Every thing the Father does everywhere He does by the Holy spirit.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by fortizo4u: 2:37pm On Nov 04, 2014
Act 1:8 Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you... Jesus didn't say you shall receive power after the power of God has come upon you. He said when the Holy Ghost Come upon you, He is the power giver .
when Jesus said its the Father in me that does the work, he was actually referring to the Holy Spirit
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by Emusan(m): 4:15pm On Nov 04, 2014
CANTICLES:
So, if fire is not a person ... What makes u absurdly think the holyspirit mentioned is a person !!! "Baptized with" exactly as water ...... SCRIPTURES EXPLAINED : ACT 1:8 "but you will receive power when the holyspirit arrive upon u" ! This scripture shows its d power of God! ...... Luke 1:35 explains d holyspirit as the " POWER of the most High" ! Walla power again ...... Rome 15:13,19 Explains as " May God fill u with ..... The POWER of the holypsirit"power again!!! Luke 4:14 explains "Jesus returned in the power of the spirit" described as power again !!! This helps Jesus to perform many powerful works(Act 2:22) The Father Controls and give out this force to equip us with POWER (LUK 11:13, lik a generator emits current, holyspirit emits from d Father 1the4:8,Act 2:32,33)Apostle Paul examines "for all things i have the strenght by virtue of him (God) who imparts Power to me" phili 4:13,dats why pple can be " Filled with" it Act 2:4,&it can be " poured out"Act 10:45

I once asked a JWs this question he couldn't answer me in fact he didn't know whether such statement appear in Bible and he is a long time JW because he told me he has spent more than 10years as JWs.

John 16:13 "When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, [size=14pt]but whatever he hears he will speak,[/size] and he will declare to you the things that are to come." RSV

The Bolden part is my questions based, if Holy spirit is a God's active FORCE as JWs claim;
1. How can a force HEAR?
2. Who is speaking to this force? Because this force suppose to be generated from God according to JWs.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by Emusan(m): 4:25pm On Nov 04, 2014
CANTICLES:
Knockout to all the prophets of Baal ........ Its not uncommon for the scriptures to personify a thing ! Wisdom is said to help God to create the world as stated in prov 8:30,

This shows that you don't know what your organization teaches because JWs agree that Prov 8 support the creation of Jesus as first created being by quoting Prov 8:22. So if you now said Wisdom is personified that negate JWs believe.

Christ Jesus himself personify wisdom again saying it has children?? Is wisdom a person so as to have children ..... Now Lets Dive Into The Deep Things Of God!!! Jesus himself personify the holyspirit by using " he" ... [size=14pt]Did i say personify ?? Yes,[/size] of course infact its high time u let the scripture explains itself on what the holyspirit is , when the scripture say the spirit intercedes in rome 8:26 , its explained, that this was done thru Jesus Christ ( Rom 8: 34) !! When The scripture says the spirit spoke , honestly this is done thru an Angel, or a man ( compare Act 21:3, and Act 21:10,11) .... While revelation 2:7 says the spirit spoke, this was done thru Jesus (rev 1:1) .... So, let the scriptures now give the meaning of holyspirit , Matthew 3:11 " that one will baptize u people with holyspirit and fire" !! Gud, is fire a person??

In fact the rest of your post show that you're confused.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by rutibaby(f): 4:25pm On Nov 04, 2014
CANTICLES:
God the Father Son and Holy Spirit are three personality in one. Who gave u this quack doctrine that d holy spirit impregnated Mary? Beware of false prophets.
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by CANTICLES: 10:18pm On Nov 04, 2014
Emusan:

John 16:13 "When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, [size=14pt]but whatever he hears he will speak,[/size] and he will declare to you the things that are to come." RSV

The Bolden part is my questions based, if Holy spirit is a God's active FORCE as JWs claim;
1. How can a force HEAR?
2. Who is speaking to this force? Because this force suppose to be generated from God according to JWs.
in John 16:13 Jesus use " he" to personify it , but Christ himself knows its not a person ..So he states " and i will request .... The Father to give you the spirit of truth...You know it, bcoz it remains with you and is in You" John 14:16,17 Interestingly He uses "it" ,!! Peter explained " he ( Christ ) was exalted to the ryt hand of God and received the promised holyspirit from d Father, (christ) has POURED OUT this wich u see and hear"
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by Emusan(m): 11:11pm On Nov 04, 2014
CANTICLES:
in John 16:13 Jesus use " he" to personify it , but Christ himself knows its not a person ..So he states " and i will request .... The Father to give you the spirit of truth...You know it, bcoz it remains with you and is in You" John 14:16,17 Interestingly He uses "it" ,!! Peter explained " he ( Christ ) was exalted to the ryt hand of God and received the promised holyspirit from d Father, (christ) has POURED OUT this wich u see and hear"

How does the jargons you put up answer my question and who is talking about pronoun here?

It seems you don't have answer to my questions.
Here are the questions again;

John 16:13 says "...whatsoever he shall HEAR..."

1) How can a force HEAR?
2) The Spirit will SPEAK whatsoever he HEARS, who is talking to this force according to JWs?
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by fortizo4u: 11:36pm On Nov 04, 2014
@ CANTICLE . I pray that God open your spiritual understanding cos honestly speaking you don't know what you are saying . stop confusing yourself
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by fortizo4u: 11:38pm On Nov 04, 2014
@Canticle . may God open your eyes of understanding
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by CANTICLES: 9:21am On Nov 05, 2014
Emusan:

John 16:13 says "...whatsoever he shall HEAR..."

1) How can a force HEAR?
ANSWER: ... the same way the sun will walk if we want it to walk , u are lik a person who heard his neighbour says "open the door , so that the sun can enter" and conclude from that statement that the sun is a person so as to walk, without looking at d evidences which shows its not a person but was just personified to walk, so also the holyspirit !!!

Here are the evidences, open ur heart and mind , Jesus denote it with "it" wich is neva used for a person John 14:17! People can be "filled with" It Act 2:4, Luke 1:41 , filled with is not used for a person, emusan is filled with his dad is an abnormal statement ! ...it can be Also be " poured out" act 10:45 a person cant be poured out, Christ is poured out is an abnormal statement! .......bro, it can be measured ... Elisha asked for a double Portion ( 2kings 2:9) i bet u neva read this
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by CANTICLES: 10:13am On Nov 05, 2014
Emusan:

Not according to JW'S but the Bible " the father GIVES the holyspirit to those asking him" luke 11:13 ! The father generates it and give it to those asking of him ..... " God puts his holy spirit in you" 1the 4:8 ! Also described it as " power beyond what is normal" 2cor 4:7 , Luke 5:17 makes it clear that " the power of the LORD[JHVH] was there for Jesus to do healing" !!! With the foregoing, its also clear that while some scriptures say the holyspirit spoke , other passages makes it clear that this was done thru angels or humans ( yess compare Act 4:24, 25 ; 28:25; matthew 10:19,20; infact its also clearly showed in Act 20:23 compared with Act 21:10,11) ! It Emanates from God and whatever God use it to accomplish is inspired of God ( 2peter 2:21, 2 tim 3:16) !!!
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

who fucckked mary then?
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by CANTICLES: 10:30am On Nov 05, 2014
CANTICLES:
Lols, the holyspirit is a person so it had sex with Mary right ?? Honestly speaking .... Religion is brainwashed !!! [colour=red]That what d trinity doctrine has led to , No Wonder i heard a religious group tell me that fornication is not a sin , I asked why ?? The guy said didnt i read in the bible that holyspirit fornicated with mary before her mariage [/color]..... I cant just stop laughin at his ideas !! TRUTHBOX: the holyspirit is not a person, so as to have sex with mary or be regarded as the father of Christ .. But its the " POWER of God" Luke 1:35
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:16pm On Nov 05, 2014
ifeness:

who fucckked mary then?

Speak proper English! angry
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:17pm On Nov 05, 2014
rutibaby:

Well said. smiley
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Nov 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Well said. smiley

Ta le ni to do Mary?
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:19pm On Nov 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Question: "Is the Holy Spirit a person?"

Answer: Many people find the Holy Spirit confusing. Is the Holy Spirit a force, a person, or something else? What does the Bible teach?

The Bible provides many ways to help us understand that the Holy Spirit is truly a person. First, every pronoun used in reference to the Spirit is “he” not “it.” The original Greek language of the New Testament is explicit in confirming the person of the Holy Spirit. The word for “Spirit” (pneuma) is neuter and would naturally take neuter pronouns to have grammatical agreement. Yet, in many cases, masculine pronouns are found (e.g., John 15:26; 16:13-14). Grammatically, there is no other way to understand the pronouns of the New Testament related to the Holy Spirit—He is referred to as a “He,” as a person.

Matthew 28:19 teaches us to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This is a collective reference to one Triune God. Also, we are not to grieve the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30). The Spirit can be sinned against (Isaiah 63:10) and lied to (Acts 5:3). We are to obey Him (Acts 10:19–21) and honor Him (Psalm 51:11).

The personhood of the Holy Spirit is also affirmed by His many works. He was personally involved in creation (Genesis 1:2), empowers God’s people (Zechariah 4:6), guides (Romans 8:14), comforts (John 14:26), convicts (John 16:8,) teaches (John 16:13), restrains sin (Isaiah 59:19), and gives commands (Acts 8:29). Each of these works requires the involvement of a person rather than a mere force, thing, or idea.

The Holy Spirit’s attributes also point to His personality. The Holy Spirit has life (Romans 8:2), has a will (1 Corinthians 12:11), is omniscient (1 Corinthians 2:10–11), is eternal (Hebrews 9:14), and is omnipresent (Psalm 139:7). A mere force could not possess all of these attributes, but the Holy Spirit does.

And the personhood of the Holy Spirit is affirmed by His role as the third Person of the Godhead. Only a being who is equal to God (Matthew 28:19) and possesses the attributes of omniscience, omnipresence, and eternality could be defined as God.

In Acts 5:3–4, Peter referred to the Holy Spirit as God, stating, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.” Paul likewise referred to the Holy Spirit as God in 2 Corinthians 3:17–18, stating, “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.”

The Holy Spirit is a person, as Scripture makes clear. As such, He is to be revered as God and serves in perfect unity with Father and Son to lead us in our spiritual lives.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Holy-Spirit-person.html#ixzz3ICDCp5dC
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by paulGrundy(m): 10:16pm On Nov 05, 2014
CANTICLES:

ANSWER: ... the same way the sun will walk if we want it to walk , u are lik a person who heard his neighbour says "open the door , so that the sun can enter" and conclude from that statement that the sun is a person so as to walk, without looking at d evidences which shows its not a person but was just personified to walk, so also the holyspirit !!!

Here are the evidences, open ur heart and mind , Jesus denote it with "it" wich is neva used for a person John 14:17! People can be "filled with" It Act 2:4, Luke 1:41 , filled with is not used for a person, emusan is filled with his dad is an abnormal statement ! ...it can be Also be " poured out" act 10:45 a person cant be poured out, [i]Christ is poured out is an abnormal statement!

The rational behind the italised is wrong because in the bible christ was given inanimate attributes:

Galatians 3:27 ESV
”And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes“.

.......bro, it can be measured ... Elisha asked for a double Portion ( 2kings 2:9) i bet u neva read this

Ok lemme use your analogy to defeat you:

1john 2:27
 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

The anointing you claim is an object becaused it can be measured, is here teaching little children. What you fail to realize is that the holyspirit is a person whose qualities are described in inanimate terms. Sort of like a metaphor.

Tag: Emusan
Re: Is The Holy Spirit A Person? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:48pm On Nov 25, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

This brings us back to the question.

(1) (Reply)

Africans Are Too Religous / Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine / Insatiable Sexual Urge-queen Of The Coast Tubes@work!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.