Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented (12939 Views)

Any Cake Lovers In The House-chocolate Cake Recipe-very Easy / Chocolate Cake Ingredients And Recipe / Download Free Video On How To Make Chocolate Cake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 10:16am On Nov 02, 2014
Just last saturday was my elders bros wedding and a friend had insisted she wanted to do the wedding cake as a gift to my bro and his wifey. So on the day of the wedding ,pieces of cake was passed to everyone for a bite. OMG on my first bite I lost my senses, next I lost my manners and so to my amazement was everyone elses table manners changed. Guests kept stretching for the 'wonder cake', it was the best chocolate cake ever. It tasted record-breaking delicious. It was melty, yes chocolaty and the aroma was like sweet perfume. Believe it or not this cake caused a scene.

Till date all efforts to reach the cake maker for orders or tips have been fruitless.

So as nairalanders will say,”ask google” and yes I did and now have a chocolate cake recipe. I went shopping already and now am bout to get baking and fingers crossed if I should get close to what I tasted that saturday. My mum is gonna be wow'd when she gets back from church.
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 10:22am On Nov 02, 2014
So my ingredents are:
Flour
Baking soda
Baking powder
Eggs
Cocoa powder
Sugar
Salt*just a pinch
Butter
And a tiny cup of hot boiling water
Vanilla extract

Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 10:26am On Nov 02, 2014
Procedur:
Mix butter and granulated sugar together until almost white, light and fluffy.

Then beat the eggs together in a seperate bowl and add little quantity of vanilla flavor or vanilla extract.

Turn the egg mixture into the earlier butter and sugar mix and stir until thoroughly blended to a fine paste.

1 Like

Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 10:34am On Nov 02, 2014
Now mix the dry ingrednets together in a seperate bowl.
These are the baking powder and soda(measure need'd quantity with a teaspooon, for me I used 2ts each) the flour(my flour was half kilo 500g and so also was my sugar and butter) and cocoa powder together.

Now turn the dry mix into the earlier mix and stir until evenly thin, spread and even again lol.

Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 10:39am On Nov 02, 2014
I know u wana see the end product...yeah me too cos its in the oven as I type and its for an hour.

So expect a pic in an hour and of course my verdict

So far its looking and tasting gooooood (notice the several o's, yeah that good lol)
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 12:03pm On Nov 02, 2014
Cake is ready...looks extremely professional considering its my first cake ever and it came out without a scratch.
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by rolled: 12:19pm On Nov 02, 2014
If it makes front page does it make you get a better job?
Just curious
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2014
rolled:
If it makes front page does it make you get a better job?
Just curious
kk

Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 12:55pm On Nov 02, 2014
I'll rate the cake a 95% and about the cake caving in ”that's cos I peeped in at the wrong time.

Lol see what's left haha...everyone is thrilled

Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 02, 2014
yummy, yummy, yum, yum!!!! It looks appealing.
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 10:46pm On Nov 02, 2014
debolly:
yummy, yummy, yum, yum!!!! It looks appealing.
I wish u could get a bite, it was heavenly.
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 5:33pm On Nov 03, 2014
.leftovers taste even better
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 7:51pm On Nov 05, 2014
Phew...what a cake.
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by eminent91: 3:28pm On Nov 06, 2014
nice cake I must say,salivating already. pls I av a problem wit measurement wen baking,if I want to make dat size of ur cake,wat quantity of flour,sugar and butter can I use I.e if I want to use dis big and small derica tomato tins for my measurement.i will b glad if u reply me tanx.
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 8:20am On Nov 07, 2014
eminent91:
nice cake I must say,salivating already. pls I av a problem wit measurement wen baking,if I want to make dat size of ur cake,wat quantity of flour,sugar and butter can I use I.e if I want to use dis big and small derica tomato tins for my measurement.i will b glad if u reply me tanx.

yea measurement is key ...now 500g is what is called half kilo on a measuring scale...so therefore 1000g is 1kilo.

small tin tomato cup about 6cups will make half a kilo
and the large cup of tin tomato about 2cups will make half a kilo.

PS: am not a professional oh...but am sure of the scale measurements

I got my chocolate cake recipe from am american website and it read:
500g sugar
500g butter(actually the site said ''vegetable oil'' but I couldn't risk it lol
500g flour
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by trublvr(f): 3:15pm On Nov 07, 2014
Next time use vegetable oil, not butter, to cut the dryness the cocoa powder brings into the recipe. And with chocolate cakes, its best to wait about 30 minutes before "peeping" to prevent that ugly cave in. Your batter is very runny from the hot water you added, and it needs time for the egg proteins to set up the cake.

I usually fill my cave ins with a chocolate ganache after cooling, but that's just me.

And I got a set of measuring cups in the baking section of the market for N500 last year. This has helped a lot. I also try to use recipes that are written in cups, not grams. I'm that lazy, I guess!

Well done on your lovely chocolate cake! More grease to your elbow!

3 Likes

Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 9:13pm On Nov 07, 2014
trublvr:
Next time use vegetable oil, not butter, to cut the dryness the cocoa powder brings into the recipe. And with chocolate cakes, its best to wait about 30 minutes before "peeping" to prevent that ugly cave in. Your batter is very runny from the hot water you added, and it needs time for the egg proteins to set up the cake.

I usually fill my cave ins with a chocolate ganache after cooling, but that's just me.

And I got a set of measuring cups in the baking section of the market for N500 last year. This has helped a lot. I also try to use recipes that are written in cups, not grams. I'm that lazy, I guess!

Well done on your lovely chocolate cake! More grease to your elbow!
yep u are 101% right about my cake been a lil dry...so imma use vegetable oil nexttime(which do u prescribe tho?) cos imma bake again for christmas a chocolate, banana and coconut cake resp.

My batter was actually thick as I didn't add much water,just little.

Is it possible to bake a cake as fluffy as a bread. What's the remedy to a soft cake that dosent crumble?

Yes u are right, my cake caved in cos I peepd too early. I was too curious lol.

Chocolate ganache...is this like a choco icing? *imma ask google tho*

Lastly my cake was heavenly and I miss it already
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by pretydiva(f): 6:25pm On Nov 09, 2014
Yummy

1 Like

Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 7:45pm On Nov 09, 2014
pretydiva:
Yummy
yeah it was
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 8:54am On Nov 15, 2014
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by trublvr(f): 9:30am On Nov 25, 2014
tonididdy:
yep u are 101% right about my cake been a lil dry...so imma use vegetable oil nexttime(which do u prescribe tho?) cos imma bake again for christmas a chocolate, banana and coconut cake resp.

My batter was actually thick as I didn't add much water,just little.

Is it possible to bake a cake as fluffy as a bread. What's the remedy to a soft cake that dosent crumble?

Yes u are right, my cake caved in cos I peepd too early. I was too curious lol.

Chocolate ganache...is this like a choco icing? *imma ask google tho*

Lastly my cake was heavenly and I miss it already

Sorry for the late reply.
I use Sunola for my baking, and I haven't had any complaints so far. It gives me nice crunchy cookies and moist chocolate cakes.
Consider using a hand mixer to puree your banana, and if your baking pan is 10 inches or less, use 11/2 bananas, or it might come out too gooey.

If you add the right amount of hot water to your chocolate cake batter, its going to be runny and the resulting cake will be fluffy.

Otherwise, just make a good old-fashioned sponge (takes about 10 minutes to mix, and involves no butter) if you want a light, fluffy cake.

If you want your cake to be a bit denser (less holes when you cut into it), cream the butter and sugar together first and mix all wet ingredients together, and then add all dry ingredients gradually, but DON't OVERMIX! Its a tough balance to find, but you can do it.

A chocolate ganache is a kind of chocolate icing made by melting chocolate/cocoa powder with cream/butter&milk together. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-ganache/.

Good luck!
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tonididdy(m): 1:16pm On Nov 25, 2014
trublvr:

I use Sunola for my baking, and I haven't had any complaints so far. It gives me nice crunchy cookies and moist chocolate cakes.
Consider using a hand mixer to puree your banana, and if your baking pan is 10 inches or less, use 11/2 bananas, or it might come out too gooey.

If you add the right amount of hot water to your chocolate cake batter, its going to be runny and the resulting cake will be fluffy.

Otherwise, just make a good old-fashioned sponge (takes about 10 minutes to mix, and involves no butter) if you want a light, fluffy cake.

If you want your cake to be a bit denser (less holes when you cut into it), cream the butter and sugar together first and mix all wet ingredients together, and then add all dry ingredients gradually, but DON't OVERMIX! Its a tough balance to find, but you can do it.

A chocolate ganache is a kind of chocolate icing made by melting chocolate/cocoa powder with cream/butter&milk together. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-ganache/.

Good luck!
noted...thankx alot.
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by dupsylad(f): 11:28pm On Feb 10, 2016
Hello trublvr,ow do u make ganache with cocoa powder pls.tnnks
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by tpiar: 12:33am On Feb 11, 2016
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by trublvr(f): 9:12am On Feb 11, 2016
chocolate ganache
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Bring to a rolling boil in a medium heavy saucepan:
1 cup heavy cream
Immediately remove from the heat, and pour over:
8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
Stir with a rubber spatula until very smooth and glossy. Let cool to room temperature and use as needed. If you want to store it, just cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. The ganache will harden in the refrigerator, but it will still be scoopable. To liquefy the ganache (in case you decide you want to ice a cake with it or something), simply place it in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until it melts.

Also, check this link: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Ganache-with-Cocoa-Powder/?ALLSTEPS
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by dupsylad(f): 3:43pm On Feb 18, 2016
Tnks Trublvr,much appreciated.where I live there's no where to get douuble cream or heavy cream,hence my Joy wen I read ur statement

"A chocolate ganache is a kind of chocolate icing made by melting chocolate/cocoa powder with cream/butter&milk together".. So If u could pls help wt the cocoa powder and butter&milk recipe ,it would be of great delight.Tnks a bunch .Sorry for d wahala
Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by joyousmother2016: 5:02pm On Apr 18, 2017
tonididdy:
yea measurement is key ...now 500g is what is called half kilo on a measuring scale...so therefore 1000g is 1kilo.

small tin tomato cup about 6cups will make half a kilo
and the large cup of tin tomato about 2cups will make half a kilo.

PS: am not a professional oh...but am sure of the scale measurements

I got my chocolate cake recipe from am american website and it read:
500g sugar
500g butter(actually the site said ''vegetable oil'' but I couldn't risk it lol
500g flour

Vegetable oil makes cakes moist. If you are not sure of the vegetable oil, you can use half cup (125g) margarine and half cup (125g) vegetable oil. Try adding vegetable oil in your cakes next time and see the difference in moistness.
Also most American cakes calls for " cake flour". In Nigeria we bake cakes using "all purpose flour" that we get so easily in the market.
In making "Cake flour", you can buy corn flour in the market which you can get for less than N400. In a 250g measuring cup, take 2 tablespoons of corn flour and put in the cup then gradually fill the cup with all purpose flour. Sieve the corn flour/all purpose flour in the measuring cup 5 times or more until it mixes well. Here you have your cake flour for fluffy cakes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented by Lilyebi: 11:38am On Jan 09, 2019
trublvr:

Good luck!

Pls how do you measure your vegetable oil for your chocolate cake. That is assuming u want to bake 500g of flour, what quantity of vegetable oil do u need? Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

How To Cater To A Man Who Doesn't Eat Draw Soup. / Do People Still Eat Three Square Meals Daily In Nigeria? / Tasty Time Warns Against Products Abuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.