Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Chairman.. The Album Review - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Chairman.. The Album Review (1252 Views)

Album Review: Psquare Double Trouble. / I Need Faze's "need Somebody" Lyrics In The Album "independent". (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chairman.. The Album Review by funmo(m): 4:38pm On Nov 02, 2014
SHAREMON ALBUM REVIEW

(I'm not a serious writer, The federal ministry of unserious mindedness warns that readers that take this piece serious are liable to pai and para..)

I'll attempt to review this album as a fan, a critic and (an upcoming)rapper(I don't have a single song anyways... )

Back in late 06, when sound city was just a regular tv musical show, I was tuned in that lovely noon as usual. But the next video shown was different, Jeremiah Gyang was strumming his guitar and introducing some black dude beside him... then this black somebody started to rap, and then he did a call-and-respond chorus that Jeremiah replied to ,3 verses and that was all. I was curious, I couldn't even catch his name. Being a rap fan for two years at then, I just wanted to hear that stuff again. I never got to see the video again, but by 07,I heard the single on radio and I instantly remembered it was that black dude's song.I got to know he goes by the name m.i,and I've being a fan ever since.WHAT MY STORY FOR THE GODS is tryna say is simple, I've known Mr Jude for hate years now, to now start to eight , so this piece will just be what it should be - THE TRUTH.

One of them twitter overlords, Japhet Omojuwa tweeted he was gonna do an album review, after he hadn't done any since his M.I's talk about it review. That was on the day the chairman album got released. Since reviewing an album has been "hungrying" me since I started my unserious writing, I decided to debut it with the chairman's album..

P.S m.i sits in my top 2 Nigerian EMCEES' list. TOP TWO.

LET THE REVIEW BEGIN JARE

1. The Begining/Nobody
Duration: 3:12
Rate:5stars

A typical m.i's intro cum skit. M.I impresses and mimicks imaginary voices of a principal, students and himself. Funny as it comes, but the whole ish is about "never giving up on your dreams "

2. Monkey ft. Chi Girl
Duration: 4:13
Rate: 3 stars

The first lady will particularly love this track though. You know all those sister Agatha's Igbo Gospel songs' style?this is one! With 3 verses m.i raps about those who never believed in him...and the typical m.i braggadocio... my Alma mata can adopt this track as a cultural dance song.

3. Rich Ft Koker
Duration: 3:35
Rate: 5 stars

My favorite track off this album. I've heard it like ten times. No exaggeration...
Inspiring!melodious!dope!KOKER's hook will pass for a praise song in a tungba church. M.I raps about dating former miss world Agbani. smh !short men will always pass their boundaries... this track ends with a recording of an evangelist prophesying. E BE LIKE SAY NA EVANGELIST ABAGA BE THAT

4. Mine Ft Wizkid
Duration: 3:56
Rate: 2 star

The kid on this track didn't kill the hook as he is known to always do. He did a better work on that money track back on talk about it. But cool proposal song. Mild and lullabyic...abeg on to the next one

5. Bullion Van ft. Phyno, Runtown and Storm Rex
Duration: 4:05
Rate: 4 stars

Kegites go like this song die. The one I suspect write most of David's hit tracks kills the hook. Man of the year spits his igbo rhymes as usual. MI is that mc that can flow more than menses.SHOULDN'T HE GET A GRAMMY FOR THAT?storm rex did justice to the outro.

6. Bad Belle Ft Moti Cakes
Duration: 3:07
Rate: 0 star

Well, only a bad stomach like me will rate this track 0 star. I don't understand the track. Sounded like a 2001 m.i...the track reminds one of mi's height though. And who tha Jack is moti cakes? Abi moti rogo!

7. Shekpe Ft. Reminisce
Duration: 3:50
Rate: 3 and a quarter stars

I'm a teetotaller. So I don't have the Highness to relate to this. But Boda mi remi killed the hook and his verse. M even spat 3 bars in yoruba. And he goes ahead to lie that he has nothing.ehn!! If I hear? Dude you sold this album for 10 dollars online!

8. Brother ft. Nosa & Milli
Duration: 3:54
Rate: 4 stars

This just a heart-felt open letter to Jags and Ibrymo. Pastor Nosa goes deep as usual. And a milli does a fine outro.he even gets another feature. The song asks a question "will the four-chocolate selling boys ever get back again? "

9. Middle ft. Olamide & I.J
Duration: 4:09
Rate: 3 stars

Baddo's bridge and I.J's chorus made the song a street song. And both rappers brought out beasty bars... ehmm!...a southern style beat is used. Hip-hop though!

10. Enemy ft. Patoranking
Duration: 5:11
Rate: Jesse Jaggs star

This sounds like a jags work... even ma bad mon patoran sounda lika jesse jags pon this. Whya this?? Well, they both addressed enemies of their fathers' and mothers' houses

11. Millionaire Champagne ft. Ice Prince &
Sarkodie
Duration: 5:54
Rate:2 stars

Ice is an average rapper that has more than average flows and employs the best of beats(does that make sense ...read my n.b again)chaley raps in English all through on this. He dropped like 32 bars, or was it 24.... I get that commercial hiphop is about this concept..but who am I to say 3 of the most popular rappers in Africa missed it on this one?

12. Always Love Ft Seyi Shay
Duration: 4:29
Rate: 2 and half stars

M.I really doesn't do well with them love tracks.I didn't dig one naira,nor did 7 days freaked me out that much. And his autotunes singing... na wa o. And shay sounded like a savage on this one.I really don't know her. This her first work I've heard.out of love.but she did well sha.He sampled some Ol' r n b song too.

13. Wheel Barrow Ft Emmy Ace & Bennie Man
Duration: 4:53
Rate: I'll decide when Nigeria wins the world cup

Jude is always trying to make his albums all genres. Which girl is carrying them like a wheel barrow here self? To do dance hall na by force? If he paid benin Man for that collaboration, he didn't invest well. Emmy Ace no bad sha

14. Yours ft. Milli & Debbi
Duration: 5:21
Rate:

He tries to wash the fans on this one.s m h...how is his success theirs(ours)? Guy no wash us. It's all yours joor.though the fans did bring him here. And milli spits some bars. He is Drakish anyways. If I found out that he has never been in yanke b4 b4,I'll just swear for him. Him dey sound like oyinbo.

15. BEG Ft Morell & Loose Kaynon
Duration: 3:48
Rate: s m h

Morell has being falling my hand these days. What was he singing on this?... loose is dope, we know... Kahli Abdu should have appeared on this one for a party... I don't even know what the song dey sing

16. Human Being Ft Tuface & Sound Sultan
Duration: 5:46
Rate: 5 stars to gara

This review keeps screaming one thing about the writer... "him self him be human being "
With 2, sultan and m on a track,what's expected than a culpable homicide? The track is reminiscent of imperfect me off the mi2 album.

17. Chairman/The End ft. Oritsefemi, Frank
Edwards
Duration: 5:53
Rate: I rate Gospel songs 5 stars o. Who wan commit blasphemy?

Maybe m.i is not a born again, maybe.. but you can't deny the parental training of an evangelist doesn't tell on him in his albums... he go sha do one Gospel-like track on album .. femi and Frank spiced this up spiritually... m.i's young niece almost made me go into trance when she read Psalms 121...I'm a kerubu boy proper, and all the Psalms _121s in my life Don pass a thousand, so anybody wey swear for me because I do review dey just deceive imself!

Prior to the album release, m.i said he doesn't need to rap no more to make cash. True....probably the reason why the album came out the way it did. Talk about it, his debut, was done by a rapper who wanted to make money and fame... AND WHO WANTED TO BE THE BEST EVER. Hence, the difference between his debut, sophomore and this 3rd studio album.

I'm funmo.I write, I rap, I crack jokes, I phone six, I am not serious. And I tweet @adefunmiloye

Re: Chairman.. The Album Review by niqqa(m): 5:55pm On Nov 02, 2014
The best things should be once in every four years just like the world cup...I must say this M.I_abaga is the best from the rest

1 Like

Re: Chairman.. The Album Review by dazekid(m): 9:44pm On Nov 02, 2014
Ok,Just copped the album on itunes and I am yet to listen to all the tracks but bros,I don reach that bad belle jam and your rating for it is b.s.That song is a jam abeg.Just the beat alone got me going on this one.Abeg modify your assessment abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Chairman.. The Album Review by dazekid(m): 9:50pm On Nov 02, 2014
For some reason,M.I is sounding like he listened to Migos versace song and the remix/remixes too many times. He was using that rap style on too many songs.

1 Like

Re: Chairman.. The Album Review by jrerico1(m): 10:12pm On Nov 02, 2014
I don't understand what you're saying about "always love" and "bad balle". They are my best tracks. The album is perfect for me, his trying to go commercial because man must chop and besides. That's what must Nigerians want

1 Like

Re: Chairman.. The Album Review by jrerico1(m): 10:16pm On Nov 02, 2014

1 Like

Re: Chairman.. The Album Review by Bawss1(m): 11:05pm On Nov 02, 2014
I honestly found this album to be just ok. Not bad but great either. Maybe if I listen to it some more I will feel differently about it but right now I can't understand why people are all pumped for it.

1 Like

Re: Chairman.. The Album Review by ejiro2130(m): 12:52am On Nov 03, 2014
Op u seriously gave Bad Belle zero star?? The beat alone is worth two stars or you are just a Bad Belle??

Why smh for beg?? I thought it was a nice track all artist here where on point from hooks to flows I don't kw much abt music but this track is worth at least 3 stars

Am disappointed with the track ft ice Prince and sarkodai expected more when you have those 2 emcees on same track.

A completely different style from his previous work..

But great album!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Your Best Album In D Year, So Far? / Dede Rocs Out With A Fresh Hip-hop Sound Titled Soro-soro / Got Weighty Bars? Lets See Your Rap Prowess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.