Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,818 members, 7,798,757 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? (1676 Views)

[PHOTO] Difference Between Mums And Dads / Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie / Illness Causes 20-year-old To Look-like A Toddler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by pwerrymansion(f): 7:27pm On Nov 02, 2014
Fellow N/ders, I was watching a family Nigerian soap with my 7yr old son when a particular scene of a young lady being abducted and ruffled up was displayed. Following that scene was where the lady's parents were panicking and scared that the gang might molest/rape their daughter...... When my son heard the word, 'rape',he was startled and he's facial expression changed. Suddenly he blurted out "mom", that's not cool if they rape her"! shocked I asked him if he knew what the word "rape" meant? and he replied affirmatively. Infact he went ahead to explain it,I quote"its when a person puts their 'penis" into another person! shocked shocked. To say i was shocked is an understatement. I engaged him in a chat and he told me it was a fellow student that told him that whilst they were in their school bus. She even went ahead to say that one of their classmates 'raped' a fellow mate while the girl was asleep. I was alarmed and asked if the reported the case to their proprietor bt he said he was not aware of the story. Probably it might be a plot used by "Denise" to get him out of being friends with the other boy! These whole situation has got me thinking, why would kids this age talk about a sensitive thing as this Is it okay or am I making a mountain out of a mound hill? Kids of this era are so over their age!!! NB: Am trying to bond and relate with him more so that he can share his feeling and be free to discuss anything with me. He also made me understand that the reason why he was open was because I insisted he tells me everything that goes on in school and beyond...... grin
Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Nov 02, 2014
pwerrymansion:
Fellow N/ders, I was watching a family Nigerian soap with my 7yr old son when a particular scene of a young lady being abducted and ruffled up was displayed. Following that scene was where the lady's parents were panicking and scared that the gang might molest/rape their daughter...... When my son heard the word, 'rape',he was startled and he's facial expression changed. Suddenly he blurted out "mom", that's not cool if they rape her"! shocked I asked him if he knew what the word "rape" meant? and he replied affirmatively. Infact he went ahead to explain it,I quote"its when a person puts their 'penis" into another person! shocked shocked. To say i was shocked is an understatement. I engaged him in a chat and he told me it was a fellow student that told him that whilst they were in their school bus. She even went ahead to say that one of their classmates 'raped' a fellow mate while the girl was asleep. I was alarmed and asked if the reported the case to their proprietor bt he said he was not aware of the story. Probably it might be a plot used by "Denise" to get him out of being friends with the other boy! These whole situation has got me thinking, why would kids this age talk about a sensitive thing as this Is it okay or am I making a mountain out of a mound hill? Kids of this era are so over their age!!! NB: Am trying to bond and relate with him more so that he can share his feeling and be free to discuss anything with me. He also made me understand that the reason why he was open was because I insisted he tells me everything that goes on in school and beyond...... grin
As they would say,this is "computer" age,children of today reason a lot more wiser and faster than their age..

So,now that he's still fresh and young,inculcate the facts,I mean undiluted facts into him.....Don't play hide and seek with what he should know from you else he learns it outside,the wrong way...

2 Likes

Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by pwerrymansion(f): 7:14am On Nov 03, 2014
Odilafta:

As they would say,this is "computer" age,children of today reason a lot more wiser and faster than their age..

So,now that he's still fresh and young,inculcate the facts,I mean undiluted facts into him.....Don't play hide and seek with what he should know from you else he learns it outside,the wrong way...
Thanks a lot,I will do just that. smiley
Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by Ishilove: 7:24am On Nov 03, 2014
Nawa for the shidren of nowadays. At the age of seven I had no idea that such a thing as sex existed, and it was in JSS3 that I only got to know that women gave birth through the vajina, and not the navel as I had been thinking all my young life. You can imagine my horrified shock that day in class when I heard this piece of 'appalling' news. grin

Op, since he already knows almost all, its time to teach him about the birds and the bees. grin grin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by gidjah(m): 8:17am On Nov 03, 2014
PLS he seem TO KNOW alot,help him to be more enlightened,let him know about sex education too,but let there be boundaries too.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by pwerrymansion(f): 10:56pm On Nov 03, 2014
Ishilove:
Nawa for the shidren of nowadays. At the age of seven I had no idea that such a thing as sex existed, and it was in JSS3 that I only got to know that women gave birth through the vajina, and not the navel as I had been thinking all my young life. You can imagine my horrified shock that day in class when I heard this piece of 'appalling' news. grin

Op, since he already knows almost all, its time to teach him about the birds and the bees. grin grin
hmmmm....most definitely I will bt still need to sensor some details....thanks
Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by pwerrymansion(f): 11:02pm On Nov 03, 2014
gidjah:
PLS he seem TO KNOW alot,help him to be more enlightened,let him know about sex education too,but let there be boundaries too.
thanks bt where will I have to set in d boundaries? I mean not having to give so much information and @ the same not having to hide the "needful"?
Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by gidjah(m): 7:47am On Nov 04, 2014
pwerrymansion:
thanks bt where will I have to set in d boundaries? I mean not having to give so much information and @ the same not having to hide the "needful"?
GOOD A M ma,there must be boundaries because the more he is bin taught ,the more he wants to know more ma,he wil always get more curious wit more info,u shall ensure that he does not go near pono products,no unnecessary films at home and at school,bury him wit gods word all d time,if the school monitors them, that will be a nice idea too.MOST of dem mates share terrible info wit them at school too thats why u need to always hear him out.i hav taught in most of those super rich schools ,my dear they r horrible o!i kept seizing items from them until i got tired
Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by vickyO(f): 8:59am On Nov 04, 2014
A child is never to young to be taught about sex... He should be told about the birds and bees the moment he starts making friends and attending school.

1 Like

Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by pwerrymansion(f): 9:24am On Nov 04, 2014
gidjah:
GOOD A M ma,there must be boundaries because the more he is bin taught ,the more he wants to know more ma,he wil always get more curious wit more info,u shall ensure that he does not go near pono products,no unnecessary films at home and at school,bury him wit gods word all d time,if the school monitors them, that will be a nice idea too.MOST of dem mates share terrible info wit them at school too thats why u need to always hear him out.i hav taught in most of those super rich schools ,my dear they r horrible o!i kept seizing items from them until i got tired
. Thanks Dear, as for having access to pono materials it will definitely not be in my house cos there's nothing of that sort. For films, I've warned them of not flicking through any channels apart from cartoon networks in my absense and they adhere to it. And info @ school....that's where the problem lies. The girl that fed him with this info is even a class lower than him, Bsc1 ie primary 1! shocked God help us all and guide us rightly
Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by francizy(m): 7:43am On Apr 21, 2015
pwerrymansion:

That's what you think but unknowingly, you people make a grave mistake by not educating your kids about sex and rape. Check my posts about molestation of male children. Two of them.

If parents teach children about the dangers of child molestation and tell them to run from suspected rapists, we would have better upbringing for our children.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by pwerrymansion(f): 7:52am On Apr 21, 2015
francizy:

That's what you think but unknowingly, you people make a grave mistake by not educating your kids about sex and rape. Check my posts about molestation of male children. Two of them.

If parents teach children about the dangers of child molestation and tell them to run from suspecting rapists, we would have better upbringing for our children.
my Dear thanks! But after that encounter, I have long educated him on sex and rape. Kids these days grow more than their age.
Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by francizy(m): 7:55am On Apr 21, 2015
pwerrymansion:
my Dear thanks! But after that encounter, I have long educated him on sex and rape. Kids these days grow more than their age.

Welcome. The fear of rape/molestation of any kind is one reason I will let my children in on everything they need to know. I don't want them to end up like me when they come into this world. By the way, you have to also tell him to be ware of not only females but males too..
Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by pwerrymansion(f): 8:31am On Apr 21, 2015
francizy:

Welcome. The fear of rape/molestation of any kind is one reason I will let my children in on everything they need to know. I don't want them to end up like me when they come into this world. By the way, you have to also tell him to be ware of not only females but males too..
wow my dear were you ......? It must have been an awful experience. Am so sorry to hear that. The problem I have now is knowing where to draw the line as in not letting so much, you get me? We need to talk more Francis cos am so scared of failing in my civic duties to bring up my children well informed and smart as well. These evils keep roaming around. And most times they are so close to you.
Re: Pls Fellow Super Moms And Dads,is It Normal/ok For A 7yr Old To Talk About Rape? by francizy(m): 9:14am On Apr 21, 2015
pwerrymansion:
wow my dear were you ......? It must have been an awful experience. Am so sorry to hear that. The problem I have now is knowing where to draw the line as in not letting so much, you get me? We need to talk more Francis cos am so scared of failing in my civic duties to bring up my children well informed and smart as well. These evils keep roaming around. And most times they are so close to you.

To answer the bolded, this is my story https://www.nairaland.com/2138113/child-molestation-molested-twice-kid ...
You can also check this out. It happened in my area https://www.nairaland.com/2264732/found-out-male-child-been

I and my sister didn't reason towards talking to our nephew about molestation till the incident of child molestation happened in my area this year (second story I posted there).

If you are a stay at home mum, makes life better. All you need do is to ensure your children all attend day schools but if you work and your husband works too, that is where the problem may arise. Nonetheless, I still maintain you keep them in day schools, except of course you and your hubby get home very late. Why do I insist on day schools? I did my NYSC in an all girls boarding school and no be small thing I use my ears hear about wetin those under 18s dey do for hostels.

I taught JSS classes only but you needed to see how girls were flocking around male corps members. I didn't give them the chance, especially the senior girls and most of them didn't like me. The junior ones knew I don't take shit. I did't discuss anything with them apart from studies and I scolded at them on regular basis because they always wanted to play or get their bodies close to a male's whether he's a teacher or not. A former teacher of that school once told me he had sex with a JSS2 student who as at then shouldn't be more than 13 years of age. He was seeing it as swag of some sort but I felt disgusted, although I didnt tell him how I felt.

Now I attended an all male secondary school and I can tell you that it makes many males to appear not confident with females. It doesn't get them exposed to their female counterpart. It could be advantageous and disadvantageous. But I don't really see much advantages in a female attending an all girls school.

Now kids in boarding school, either all boys or all girls school, are sometimes intimidated into having an affair with same sex. Sometimes, they loose control when close to opposite sex and the opposite sex can easily have their way (especially for females).

It all now depends on you to weigh your options and know how best to train your children. Mind you, education is the key. Try and educate them on sex and molestation and make them see reasons to avoid it till they are adults. Make them aware that there are many adults out there seeking for children's lives to destroy thru molestation.

I wish you the best ma'am..

(1) (Reply)

At What Age Should Igbo, Yoruba Man Or Woman Marry?- Read This Before You Answer / Can You Defecate Infront Of Your Spouse / Am Totally Confused Please I Need Your Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.