Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,483 members, 7,808,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

External HDD - Laptop Asks To Format When Plugged In - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / External HDD - Laptop Asks To Format When Plugged In (1069 Views)

Laptop Plugged In But Not Charging / Hp 255 G4 Amd Dual Core-1.4ghz (2gb,500gb Hdd) Laptop ₦ 87,700 / How Do I Remove $RECYCLE.BIN Virus From My Laptop And External HDD? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

External HDD - Laptop Asks To Format When Plugged In by Trillyonaire: 11:24pm On Nov 02, 2014
I have an iMation external HDD I've been using for a couple of years. I gave it out to someone and when they returned it, whenever I plug it in my computer it asks me to format it.

There is so much information on it thhat I don't want to loose. Is there a way I can at least get mmy data back?
Thank you.
Re: External HDD - Laptop Asks To Format When Plugged In by Nobody: 11:35pm On Nov 02, 2014
What is the size of the hard disk. Also have you tried chkdsk ?
Re: External HDD - Laptop Asks To Format When Plugged In by Trillyonaire: 12:06am On Nov 03, 2014
Ichiato:
What is the size of the hard disk. Also have you tried chkdsk ?

250GB

Where do I get the chkdsk menu and does it take time? So I know if to do it now or when I'm plugged in
Re: External HDD - Laptop Asks To Format When Plugged In by Nobody: 12:24am On Nov 03, 2014
Trillyonaire:

250GB

Where do I get the chkdsk menu and does it take time? So I know if to do it now or when I'm plugged in
Sorry I assumed you are using a windows os which is where chkdsk works. If I'm correct then the time it takes depends on the size and and number of errors the hard disk has, so I can't give an exact time frame but from experience I never seen it run for more than 20mins tops. Anyway the chkdsk is a windows command that scans and attempts to fix errors on the hard disk. The link below describes how to run it on windows 8,7 and xp

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/184611en
Re: External HDD - Laptop Asks To Format When Plugged In by Trillyonaire: 5:31am On Nov 03, 2014
Ichiato:

Sorry I assumed you are using a windows os which is where chkdsk works. If I'm correct then the time it takes depends on the size and and number of errors the hard disk has, so I can't give an exact time frame but from experience I never seen it run for more than 20mins tops. Anyway the chkdsk is a windows command that scans and attempts to fix errors on the hard disk. The link below describes how to run it on windows 8,7 and xp

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/184611en

It says "This disk check could not be performed because windows can't access the disk"
Re: External HDD - Laptop Asks To Format When Plugged In by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 03, 2014
Trillyonaire:

It says "This disk check could not be performed because windows can't access the disk"
Oops, sorry
The only other solution I know of is to format the hard disk and use a file recovery software to retrieve important files but there are no guaranties the files you need will be recovered.
Re: External HDD - Laptop Asks To Format When Plugged In by Vstuffs(m): 8:54am On Nov 03, 2014
Wait guy before you format....use a "recovery software to recover your files...then format..because you will have a 99% change of recovering most files..b/4 formatting than after formatting

(1) (Reply)

Model, Analyse And Design Easily With STAAD Pro!!! / Smashing Deal! On Dell & Hp Uk Used / 8'' Insignia Tablet Sales At Micostar Mall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.