Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,907 members, 7,802,949 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

The 10 Commandments - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 10 Commandments (3100 Views)

20 Commandments Of Muhammad The Founder Of Islam. / The 10 Most AWKWARD Moments In Church / Why Did God Need To Write The 10 Commandments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 10 Commandments by pope732901(m): 10:21pm On Nov 19, 2008
The Number 5 minister to me a lot. SOmetimes my parent does things that I will just fee like slapping them Number 5 calms me down.

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'
Re: The 10 Commandments by Elvischido(m): 1:46am On Nov 20, 2008
Pls pope, check the fourth commandment and rewrite it very well
maybe check KJV or other good bible version kiss
Re: The 10 Commandments by pope732901(m): 8:36am On Nov 20, 2008
No 4. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy : Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Re: The 10 Commandments by huxley(m): 10:15am On Nov 20, 2008
pope732901:

The Number 5 minister to me a lot. SOmetimes my parent does things that I will just fee like slapping them Number 5 calms me down.

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

These are NOT the true 10 commandments. The true ones can be found in Exodus 34.
Re: The 10 Commandments by KunleOshob(m): 10:31am On Nov 20, 2008
huxley:

These are NOT the true 10 commandments. The true ones can be found in Exodus 34.
Pastor Huxley grin
Re: The 10 Commandments by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:43am On Nov 20, 2008
And the punishment for failing any of the first 8 is death by stoning so you better keep your hands to yourself else you might just be stoned to death.
Re: The 10 Commandments by Bastage: 10:57am On Nov 20, 2008
The 10 Commandments are Hebrew and have no bearing on today in the context they were given back then.

One and Two emphasise freedom from bondage in Egypt and freedom from it's many gods.

The Third refers to not using the name of Yaweh in magical practice - not blasphemy.

The Fourth, resting on the Sabbath, is because a nomadic tribe fighting it's way around Canaan had to take a day off or it would overheat. Enforcing a day of rest meant the tribe could be kept healthy.

The Fifth. "Honor thy mother and father"  means "submit to your parent's authority". A statement calling upon the young to upkeep Hebrew tradition.

The Sixth should read "Thou shalt not murder". Not "Thou shalt not kill. It only refers to murdering another tribe member. Everyone else is fair game.

The Seventh forbidding adultery is more for the sake of tribal cohesion. It was also considered imperative that a man was able to be certain that his children were his children. The Hebrews believed that when you died, you lived on in your offspring. This is why there's always emphasis on blooodlines in the Bible.

The Eighth refers to "man-theft". Not the minor crime of theft. A common crime back then was to kidnap and sell a man into slavery.

The Ninth. "Thou shalt not bear false witness" can be taken literally. As nearly every crime resulted in ostrasisation or death, it was imperative that the truth be told at a trial. Unlike most societies today, the rule was "Guilty until proven innocent".

The Tenth. "Thou shalt not covet" refers to covetting and dispossessing a man of his property in a spiritual sense. Basically an admonishment not to deprive a man of his rightful place in the tribal community.
Re: The 10 Commandments by KunleOshob(m): 11:08am On Nov 20, 2008
@Bastage
Interesting explainations, could you share the source of these explainations with us? If your submissions are true it would really help us to understand the bible better.
Re: The 10 Commandments by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:14am On Nov 20, 2008
Crude and wicked commandments not withstanding whether then or now God should have known better.
Are you saying that these commandments were not given by God.
Re: The 10 Commandments by Bastage: 11:18am On Nov 20, 2008
@KunleOshob
Professor Richard Friedman - Who wrote the Bible.
You can get the paperback online.

@Chrisbenogor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis
Re: The 10 Commandments by huxley(m): 12:29pm On Nov 20, 2008
Bastage:

@KunleOshob
Professor Richard Friedman - Who wrote the Bible.
You can get the paperback online.

@Chrisbenogor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis

This is a great book and puts forward a very very plausible explanation for why the bible is as it is - a compilation of documents from various kingdoms poorly merged into one book.

For instance, the Genesis creation accounts is actually two separate accounts cut and spliced into one. The flood account is two stories merged into one.

To my knowledge, there has been no successful criticism of Freidman's presentation of the DH. If this is the only book you had to read about bible/religion, then you would have done yourself a great favour.
Re: The 10 Commandments by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:05pm On Nov 20, 2008
So just how can this have been the inspired word of God?
Finding out about these things just make me sick to the stomach because most christians do not know the origin of this book they have called the perfect word of God.
Re: The 10 Commandments by Bastage: 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2008
^^ Only the blind take it as the perfect word of God.

The Old Testament is part of the library of the history of the Hebrew nation. The writers were inspired by their god to set down the Old Testament to record how they saw the influence of that god shaping their nation.
But tieing the god into the nation means that it is utterly and totally impossible to avoid bias and politics. Hence why it is utterly illogical to take the Bible as the "perfect word of God".
Re: The 10 Commandments by Elvischido(m): 1:33pm On Nov 20, 2008
Hey guys lets check out this writeup !
I hope this answers the question!

The Role of the Ten
Commandments in Public Life

The Seventh-day Adventist
Church applauds interest in the
role of the Ten Commandments
in public life. The Decalogue, as
given on Mount Sinai, is a
reflection of God's character. It
contains universal and
unchanging principles of
morality and describes our
relationship to God and our
fellow human beings.
For Seventh-day Adventists,
obedience to the Ten
Commandments represents
the foundational expression of
love and gratitude to God for
His gift of salvation. We obey
the law, not as a means of
salvation, but as a response to
God's grace demonstrated
most convincingly through the
death of Jesus Christ in our
behalf.

The Ten Commandments
provide a moral compass in an
age of relativism. Through
God's law, the Holy Spirit
convicts us of sin and brings us
to a sense of utter
helplessness. The law of God is
the instrument by which the
Spirit calls us to repentance. It
also has a teaching function,
revealing eternal principles of
righteousness that contribute
to the development of our
character in the likeness of our
Savior. Consequently, we
comprehend more clearly how
to serve others and our God.

Seventh-day Adventists see the
embodiment of God's law in the
life and ministry of Jesus
Christ. They respect, honor and
submit to it as God's will for all
people. By dealing with our
thoughts, desires and
motivations the Ten
Commandments address more
than external behavior. They
challenge us to moral, spiritual
and ethical purity.

Seventh-day Adventists believe
the law of God features
prominently in the controversy
between Christ and Satan. In
Satan's final attack against
God just prior to the second
coming of Christ, the believer's
obedience to God's law provides
the best evidence of
commitment to Christ.

Governments establish laws to
preserve and protect the well
being of their citizens. While
civil law defines what is legal,
God's law defines what is
moral. The first four
commandments relate to our
relationship with God. Any
attempt to legislate these
commands requires the state
to interpret and apply God's
will, an act that is beyond its
sphere of competence and
jurisdiction. The final six
commandments pertain to our
relationship with one another.
Laws in keeping with these
principles of human conduct
are common in civil societies.
It is the duty of Christians to
obey these laws, insofar as
they are in keeping with God's
law, and to actively support
efforts to improve them.

Seventh-day Adventists hold
the Decalogue in highest
esteem and appeal to men and
women in all societies to live in
harmony with its principles as
a foundation for lives of loving
service to humanity. At the
same time, they recognize the
need for tolerance, Christian
humility, and respect for the
rights of others in making
application of these principles.
Consequently, Seventh-day
Adventists uphold the
fundamental principles of
religious liberty and the
separation of church and state.
Hope this really helps!
You can see this article in the link below:

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/statements/ten_commandments.html
Re: The 10 Commandments by KunleOshob(m): 1:51pm On Nov 20, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

So just how can this have been the inspired word of God?
Finding out about these things just make me sick to the stomach because most christians do not know the origin of this book they have called the perfect word of God.
The catholic church had to present it has the "perfect word of God" so it could used as a instrument of control. In those days the bible was not widely in circulation since there was no printing technology then. People had to depend on what the church told them then since they didn't have access to the bible talkless of scrutinizing it. Telling people you were reading from the perfect word of God would make it easier for you to get results especially when they can't verify what they have been told.
Re: The 10 Commandments by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:07pm On Nov 20, 2008
@elvis
So you believe the commandments were from God abi? Did you read the link bastage posted?
@kunle
It even saddens me that the creation story was sliced and merged with another, moses had no hand in writing any of those books and they were compiled probably by ezra from other existing documents hence the repetitions. Don't you think the average christian needs to know this, these churches are wicked!
Re: The 10 Commandments by mazaje(m): 3:29pm On Nov 20, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

@elvis
So you believe the commandments were from God abi? Did you read the link bastage posted?
@kunle
It even saddens me that the creation story was sliced and merged with another, moses had no hand in writing any of those books and they were compiled probably by ezra from other existing documents hence the repetitions. Don't you think the average christian needs to know this, these churches are wicked!

You want them(churches and politicians) to loose the power they have over the ignorant masses? you want the money to stop flowing? i was stunned while watching god TV europe today, so many pastors were telling people to sow seeds and donate money to plant 1 million trees in isreal,pastor matthew ashimolowo came up and spewed absolute nonsense with regards to sowing and reaping in the name of jesus, why do people believe all this nonsense lies?

90 percent of christains do not know anything about the council of nicea or constantine, 90 percent of christains have never read all of the bible, 90 percent of christains do not know how the bible was complied, 95 percent of nigerian christains do not know anything about the history of christainity. . . .
Re: The 10 Commandments by Bastage: 3:49pm On Nov 20, 2008
the commandments were from God abi?

The Commandments were probably originally plagiarised from the Egyptian Book of the Dead before being given a Hebrew twist:

'Not have I despised god, Not have I killed, Not have I fornicated, Not have I despoiled the thing of the god, not have I defiled the wife of a man, Not have I cursed god, Not have I borne false witness'.

As part of the Egyptian (Hyskos) royalty, the Hebrews (and Moses in particular) would have been well aware of this book and would have studied it many times. It would have quite literally been their Bible before the exodus.
Re: The 10 Commandments by mazaje(m): 3:52pm On Nov 20, 2008
Bastage:

The Commandments were probably originally plagiarised from the Egyptian Book of the Dead before being given a Hebrew twist:

'Not have I despised god, Not have I killed, Not have I fornicated, Not have I despoiled the thing of the god, not have I defiled the wife of a man, Not have I cursed god, Not have I borne false witness'.

As part of the Egyptian (Hyskos) royalty, the Hebrews (and Moses in particular) would have been well aware of this book and would have studied it many times. It would have quite literally been their Bible before the exodus.

source pls. . . . . .
Re: The 10 Commandments by Bastage: 4:01pm On Nov 20, 2008
Why should I keep having to hunt for links? You have Google don't you?

Anyway. I found this one:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10cl.htm

You can find the Book of the Dead at:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/ebod/index.htm
Re: The 10 Commandments by mazaje(m): 4:08pm On Nov 20, 2008
Bastage:

Why should I keep having to hunt for links? You have Google don't you?

Anyway. I found this one:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10cl.htm

You can find the Book of the Dead at:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/ebod/index.htm

Thanks so much. . . . . .
Re: The 10 Commandments by IDINRETE: 4:20pm On Nov 20, 2008
hi everybody
Chris et Mazaje please check out GERALD MASSEY 
Cheers
Re: The 10 Commandments by coolruler(m): 4:50pm On Nov 20, 2008
@Bastage et al,
Its a common fact that no single religion on earth is "pure". Every religion borrows from those before it and around it. That is why the Biblical manuscripts have been heavily influenced by Egyptian mythology and Greek philosophy.
The story of creation has parallels in Egyptian, Greek and Sumerian mythologies
The 10 commandments has its parallel in ancient Egypt
The life and times of Jesus Christ also has its own parallels in other even more ancient religions

So you see, nothing is really new under the Sun
Re: The 10 Commandments by mazaje(m): 4:57pm On Nov 20, 2008
coolruler:

@Bastage et al,
Its a common fact that no single religion on earth is "pure". Every religion borrows from those before it and around it. That is why the Biblical manuscripts have been heavily influenced by Egyptian mythology and Greek philosophy.
The story of creation has parallels in Egyptian, Greek and Sumerian mythologies
The 10 commandments has its parallel in ancient Egypt
The life and times of Jesus Christ also has its own parallels in other even more ancient religions

So you see, nothing is really new under the Sun

i agree with that. . . . .
Re: The 10 Commandments by Bastage: 4:57pm On Nov 20, 2008
the Biblical manuscripts have been heavily influenced by Egyptian mythology and Greek philosophy.

Actually, you could probably add well over a dozen other belief systems and religions to that list.

Its a common fact that no single religion on earth is "pure". Every religion borrows from those before it and around it.

You addressed me, but you're not really telling me anything I don't already know. Suprising then that I consider myself a Christian isn't it?  grin
Re: The 10 Commandments by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:03pm On Nov 20, 2008
Abeg oh tell us why you are a christian
Re: The 10 Commandments by Bastage: 6:18pm On Nov 20, 2008
Heh!!!

Simply because I choose to be. grin
Re: The 10 Commandments by huxley(m): 6:18pm On Nov 20, 2008
Bastage:

Actually, you could probably add well over a dozen other belief systems and religions to that list.

You addressed me, but you're not really telling me anything I don't already know. Suprising then that I consider myself a Christian isn't it?  grin

yes, I am rather intrigued.  Your contribution so far on NL does not suggest that you are a christian.  What type of christian are you?   Which of the core christian precepts do you adhere to and which don't you?
Re: The 10 Commandments by mazaje(m): 6:27pm On Nov 20, 2008
Bastage is a christain because he just has just wants to believe in the supernatural. . . .he has discarded the old testament god as evil an tribal, but still believes in the new testament god(jesus). . . i noticed that most european protestant christains fall into this category, they dislike and decry the old testament god but believe in jesus. . . how can that be? me thinks that they just want to believe in the supernatural because they just can not accept the fact that there is no god . . . . . . .
Re: The 10 Commandments by Lady2(f): 6:35pm On Nov 20, 2008
And the punishment for failing any of the first 8 is death by stoning so you better keep your hands to yourself else you might just be stoned to death.

You know very well that this is not true.
Re: The 10 Commandments by mazaje(m): 6:39pm On Nov 20, 2008
~Lady~:

You know very well that this is not true.

I know that god ordered some one to be stoned to death for breaking one of the laws. . . . . picking sticks on the sabbath. . . . pls can some one tell us what the punishment is for boiling a baby goat in its mothers milk? it's also one of the commandments will jehova boil you in your mother's blood if you break that law? i know he can because he has done worse things. . . . . . .
Re: The 10 Commandments by Bastage: 6:41pm On Nov 20, 2008
Bastage is a christain because he just has just wants to believe in the supernatural. . . .he has discarded the old testament god as evil an tribal, but still believes in the new testament god(jesus)

No. I don't see it as supernatural. I see God as logical. Supernatural is a lazy argument put forward by shallow opponents. When people approach me with it, I tend to point them towards Quantum Mechanics and ask them wether or not that is "supernatural". After all, it's just theory and most of it is paradoxical - it shouldn't work, but it does!!!

Add to that the realisation that anyone with any depth to them would realise that the whole of our existence is "supernatural" and you can see why I laugh at that accusation. cheesy

I don't really care about the historical New Testament Jesus either. It's the message that intrigues me. I also like Buddhism and Hinduism but Christianity is the easiest for me to relate to.

So bad luck mazaje. You haven't managed to pigeon-hole me yet. grin

By the way, you say no god. But take it all the way down to the bottom and you're left with just one thing - You. Nothing else. The only thing you know for sure is "I think therefore I am". The only proveable "reality" is You. Then you have a choice. Did you create that You or did something else?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top Ten Signs You're An Atheist / Jamb Questions From The Book Of Daniel For Christians & Scholars To Answer / Names, Origin, Ancestry And History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.