Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) (1879 Views)

Thugs Kill A Danfo Driver In Lagos Over Loading Fee / EFCC Impostor Caught Taking N.5m To “kill” A Fraud Case (pictured) / Mob Kill A Policeman In Gombe For Allegedly Killing A Man (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 03, 2014
At various times, I have pondered on this topic:
___ why do people kill?
___Why do they commit murder?
___How do we explain acts of violence?

Last night after reading a James Hadley Chase book (Not Safe To be Free...), I decided to do a lil research on this topic.
It is not an exhaustive explanation but it describes many, if not most types of homicide and most acts of violence. It describes most of the killers and violent individuals..

Chronically Aggressive Individuals
-Easily frustrated, limited or poor impulse control
-Frequently express anger or hostility
-Resents authority, defiant with supervisors.
-Believes violence and/or aggression are legitimate responses to various interpersonal problems in life (i.e., if someone provokes you, you fight back)

The Over-Controlled Hostility Type
-Rarely display or express anger - they don’t cuss or yell, and may be offended by such.
-Emotionally rigid and inflexible: appear to be polite, serious, and sober, rarely “loose” or jocular.
-Morally righteous and upstanding: see themselves as “good people”
-Often judgmental: see others as “not such good people”
-After the violence, people say that they never expected it, “he always seemed like such a nice guy; he was always so quiet”

The Hurt and Resentful
-Feel that people walk on them and that they are never treated fairly
-When they are passed over, there is always someone else to blame
-Things are easier for everyone else: other people get more and have more advantages.
-They are often whiners and complainers, as a matter of attitude.
-Violence occurs because they hold grudges and are “impotent” to deal with their anger in other ways.

The Traumatised
-Aggression occurs in response to a single, massive assault on their identity
-Something happens that is potently offensive, absolutely intolerable, and which strips them of all sense of personal power
-The essence of their existence (or their manhood) will be destroyed if they do not respond
-Violence is predictable & preventable

The Obsessive
-Immature and narcissistic individuals who demand or crave attention and affection.
-Absolutely cannot stand to be deprived of desired gratifications, like a baby who cries because mother removes the breast.
-When deprived of love, they continue crying: repeated phone calls, following the object of their obsession, etc.
-Violence because: “if I can’t have her, nobody can.” ... or: “if she won’t have me, she won’t have anything.”

The Paranoid
-Jealous Type: Delusionally believes their lover is unfaithful
-Persecuted Type: Delusionally believes that people are out to get him
-Typically engage in behaviors which make their paranoid beliefs come true
-Delusions may reach the point at which the person is grossly out of contact with reality (may be insane).

The Insane
-Rare: does not understand the nature and quality of their actions.
-More typical: fundamental misperceptions of reality, incapable of rational behaviour, delusional beliefs deprive them of the ability to know that their behaviour is wrong, beliefs and perceptions are incongruent with reality.
-Twisted, psychotic beliefs about what is right, what is wrong, and what is necessary.

The Just Plain Bad & Angry
-A combination of most of the above (except for insane): angry, hostile, jealous, resentful, impotent, and disturbed individuals, who are socially isolated, socially inadequate, and who feel worthless
-May be seeking attention
-May be seeking revenge

My question(s) my fellow Nairalanders are:-__ Can you kill or be violent (a fellow human...if given the right amount of provocation)?
__Have you ever been involved in a violent act (as a victim / offender) ?
__which of the above describes(eb) you?
__How did you feel after the display of violence.

Copyright, Paul G. Mattiuzzi, Ph.D.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by unibenstudent1(m): 11:58am On Nov 03, 2014
Madam na text book u write so oh,,I go read am chapter by chapter,,and I will finish it next week
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 03, 2014
No1 would openly agree to be any tho..but I can be angry and wana take revenge but at d end ,I can't cos I av never been involved in violence of these natures..it takes a really dead conscience to kill anoda human being..
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by AbuMikey(m): 12:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
I would be right back to Read this.

I'm in a Jury now.
Exam.
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 03, 2014
unibenstudent1:
Madam na text book u write so oh,,I go read am chapter by chapter,,and I will finish it next week

Olodo...lol
I wasn't expecting someone like you to read it in a day. How u take dey cope for Engineering in that Uniben gaan?

Truetalk @supermartins
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by priscaoge(f): 12:34pm On Nov 03, 2014
She created another thread grin grin grin

The Paranoid
-Delusions may reach the point at which the person is grossly out of contact with reality (may be insane).

I think these points can actually drive insane person to commit murder. Stories of Lovers killing each other is common in our society today. Last week I read a story in a Newspaper with similar story and it's because of "Jealousy"
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Rapsainot(m): 12:49pm On Nov 03, 2014
The grammar too mushhh..... need to compartmentalize the whole write up. undecided

Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by unibenstudent1(m): 1:04pm On Nov 03, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Olodo...lol
I wasn't expecting someone like you to read it in a day. How u take dey cope for Engineering in that Uniben gaan?

Truetalk @supermartins
na formulars we deh deal with nah,,give me maths and physics then unibenstudent comes alive
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by TheRealAdonye(m): 1:43pm On Nov 03, 2014
This is interesting.. I'll be back with my thoughts..
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 03, 2014
Rapsainot:
The grammar too mushhh..... need to compartmentalize the whole write up. undecided

Bobo,no fall my hand o...this isn't how I trained you, after putting you in private schools

*ooo jigbijigbijigbi** #In papa Ajasco's voice#
Now I'm angry angry

@Priscaoge : I have thought about it a lot, I had to ask my husband yesterday, he didn't even allow me land - he said nope!
- I said, even if you get me committing adultery, he said nope!...lol
___then later said 'maybe',but then it would be 'manslaughter'...hahaha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by priscaoge(f): 3:26pm On Nov 03, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Bobo,no fall my hand o...this isn't how I trained you, after putting you in privates schools

*ooo jigbijigbijigbi** #In papa Ajasco's voice#
Now I'm angry angry

@Priscaoge : I have thought about it a lot, I had to ask my husband yesterday, he didn't even allow me land - he said nope!
- I said, even if you get me committing adultery, he said nope!...lol
___then later said 'maybe',but then it would be 'manslaughter'...hahaha

Hahaahahahah... Lmao @Maybe. Lol cheesy cheesy Umu nwoke ka iji egwu egwu cheesy cheesy cheesy

Called in the afternoon(tho not with my number ) but no answer.
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 03, 2014
Yes. ive been opportuned to watch a couple of crime investigation documentaries and the above mentioned personalities are all capable of murder especially the paranoid, the loners and the unusually quiet people.
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 03, 2014
The Obsessive
-Immature and narcissistic individuals who demand or crave attention and affection.
-Absolutely cannot stand to be deprived of desired gratifications, like a baby who cries because mother removes the bosom.
-When deprived of love, they continue crying: repeated phone calls, following the object of their obsession, etc.
-Violence because: “if I can’t have her, nobody can.” ... or: “if she won’t have me, she won’t have anything.”
I was thinking this is nt enough reason to comit murder but then I remembered what happened to Linda Ikeji recently. If ayedee could do that, then he or anyone else could kill for the same reason

And even if I had all the traits listed, I think it'll still be so impossible for me to kill. Whatever happened to conscience!
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by andyanders: 10:13pm On Nov 18, 2014
When dem don take igbooooooooooooooooooooo. marijuana. Their head go spoil.
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by joseph1832(m): 10:44pm On Nov 29, 2014
The act or should I say art, yes Kachisbarbie killing is indeed an art, perfected thousands of year ago.

The reasons varies, but I believe it just boils down to our basic nature: 'Man is an animal'.

What kind of books do you read?
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 29, 2014
joseph1832:
The act or should I say art, yes Kachi sbarbie killing is indeed an art, perfected thousands of year ago.

The reasons varies, but I believe it just boils down to our basic nature: 'Man is an animal'.

What kind of books do you read?

lol @indeed an art
I read James Hadley Chase
*detective/crime/murder/fraud*

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by joseph1832(m): 10:57pm On Nov 29, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

lol @indeed an art
I read James Hadley Chase
*detective/crime/murder/fraud*
Okay. Apart from Hadley Chase which other author do you patronize?.
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 11:04pm On Nov 29, 2014
joseph1832:
Okay. Apart from Hadley Chase which other author do you patronize?.

sincerely, none.
You can recommend for me.
I have been reading random book, I wanna have a steady author/book.

I want detective/crime.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by joseph1832(m): 11:17pm On Nov 29, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

sincerely, none.

I want detective/crime.
Before I Suggest I want to ask, do you read for fun, to pass time or to learn?.
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 29, 2014
joseph1832:
All 3. Oya Jose recommend abeg.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 29, 2014
joseph1832:

all of the above.
Mostly to learn, that's why I go for detective/crime.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by joseph1832(m): 11:35pm On Nov 29, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

all of the above.
Mostly to learn, that's why I go for detective/crime.
Go for Tom Clancy, he writes mainly about espionage.

John Grisham, he writes about crime/rape/murder basically with an interpretation and acute understanding of the american justice system, and yes John Grisham is a lawyer.

Dean Koonz, he writes on horror, suspense and thriller.

Eric Van Lustbader(my favourite) he writes basically on martial arts with suspense, thriller, Van Lustbader is a 2nd level Reiki master. His novels are basically oriental base. The wrote Ninja, White Ninja, Zero, Kaisho, Second Skin, Floating City, Siren etc. He's my personal favorite.

Then there's Dan Brown. I believe you guys must have heard of him, due to his Da Vinci Code theory.

These authors are my favorite. I've learnt a great deal reading their novels...
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by joseph1832(m): 11:39pm On Nov 29, 2014
laykorn:

All 3. Oya Jose recommend abeg.
Ayamlaykorn
Try the ones I mentioned above.
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Sleekyshuga(f): 1:42am On Nov 30, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

sincerely, none.

I want detective/crime.
I'm a lover of crime/detective fictions, and also a huge fan of James Hardley Chase.. They keep you edgy, always wanting more wink wink... You can try out these novels:

1. Danshiell Hammet-- The Maltese Falcon (reprinted edition).

2. Patricia Highsmith-- Strangers on a train..

3. James M. Cain-- The Postman Always Rings Twice (reprinted edition)..

4. Gillian Flynn-- Gone Girl (a novel and movie based on s*x and crime)..

5. Collins Wilkie-- The Lady in White (based on romance and crime)..

6. Jim Thompson-- The Killer inside me..

7. John Grisham's novels are also worth it, and quite easy to comprehend..

These are all I can remember now on crime related novels..
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Sleekyshuga(f): 2:12am On Nov 30, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
At various times, I have pondered on this topic:
___ why do people kill?
___Why do they commit murder?
___How do we explain acts of violence?

The Obsessive
-Absolutely cannot stand to be deprived of desired gratifications, like a baby who cries because mother removes the breast.

The Paranoid

The Insane
-Rare: does not understand the nature and quality of their actions.
-More typical: fundamental misperceptions of reality, incapable of rational behaviour, delusional beliefs deprive them of the ability to know that their behaviour is wrong, beliefs and perceptions are incongruent with reality.
-Twisted, psychotic beliefs about what is right, what is wrong, and what is necessary?

My question(s) my fellow Nairalanders are:-__ Can you kill or be violent (a fellow human...if given the right amount of provocation)?
__Have you ever been involved in a violent act (as a victim / offender) ?
__which of the above describes(eb) you?
__How did you feel after the display of violence.

Copyright, Paul G. Mattiuzzi, Ph.D.

---------Back to topic---------
These set of people, I consider the deadliest, especially when things are not done/going their way.. It's natural to be paranoid (I can be temperamental tongue, though with words) but still, I try to draw it @ a point so I don't regret my action(s)..

1. No matter how provoked I am, I cannot (can't even think about it shocked shocked) kill/ physically hurt a fellow being.. Huh!!! Whatever happens to forgiveness, and my conscience

2. Hmmmmm... I was once involved in an obsessive relationship (though as the victim, and a distant one), and I tell you, it wasn't funny grin grin.. It took a whole lot to finally pull out.. Those set of people, "FEAR THEM"..
Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Nobody: 10:37am On Nov 30, 2014
Sleekyshuga:
I'm a lover of crime/detective fictions, and also a huge fan of James Hardley Chase.. They keep you edgy, always wanting more wink wink... You can try out these novels:

1. Danshiell Hammet-- The Maltese Falcon (reprinted edition).

2. Patricia Highsmith-- Strangers on a train..

3. James M. Cain-- The Postman Always Rings Twice (reprinted edition)..

4. Gillian Flynn-- Gone Girl (a novel and movie based on s*x and crime)..

5. Collins Wilkie-- The Lady in White (based on romance and crime)..

6. Jim Thompson-- The Killer inside me..

7. John Grisham's novels are also worth it, and quite easy to comprehend..

These are all I can remember now on crime related novels..

Thanks babe.
I don't know where to see a good book-shop in this town, but amma ask around sha.

Lol @obsessive lover___ my hubby used to be like that o, then he would tell me his obsession is 99.9%...
__but, he is ok now. Maybe 70%

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Kill? (A Typology On Violent Offenders) by Sleekyshuga(f): 12:43pm On Nov 30, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Thanks babe.
I don't know where to see a good book-shop in this town, but amma ask around sha.

Lol @obsessive lover___ my hubby used to be like that o, then he would tell me his obsession is 99.9%...
__but, he is ok now. Maybe 70%
You can still buy/read online wink wink... Lol @ 99.9%... OMG grin grin... I fear those people ooo...*run...run...run*.. It's an experience I don't wanna go thru again.. @Kachisbarbie, trust me, twasnt funny.. God 4 punish me if we were in same state grin grin.. My guy/would be husband would love me normally/naturally cheesy cheesy..

(1) (Reply)

Very Graphic Photos Of Victims Of Borno Bomb Blast *BE WARNED* / Photo : Pastor Who Uses “juju” Caught And Paraded N.aked With His Juju Priest / Italy Migrants: Nigerian Killed In Fermo Race Attack (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.