Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

What Every Sports Person Should Know - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Every Sports Person Should Know (789 Views)

What Every Sports Person Should Know / Every Sports Man/woman Needs Coconut Oil. / Most Honourable Nairaland Sports Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Every Sports Person Should Know by dabarpharmacy: 4:17pm On Nov 03, 2014
Athletes often look for alternative nutrition to perform at their best. And Supplements are just it
What is a Supplement?
A supplement is something added to the diet, typically to make up for a nutritional deficiency. Ideally, it should be used as a substitute for eating well. Supplements ideal for sporting individuals include the following:

Common Sports Supplements Used by Athletes

B-Vitamins
Vitamins are essential for the body to function properly. There is a link between the B-vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, B-12 and folate) and performance in high-level athletes.

Protein Supplements
Protein is a necessary nutrient that everyone needs to function properly. Both athletes and sedentary individuals need to get adequate protein.

L-Glutamine
What it does: prevents catabolism
Glutamine is the most commonly occurring amino acid in the human body. It is responsible for transporting nitrogen into your muscles. Glutamine also plays a large role in metabolism, the functioning of your immune system, protein synthesis and energy restoration. During heavy workouts your body’s glutamine levels can become depleted, sometimes taking a week to get back to a normal level. Supplementing glutamine allows you to work out rigorously without running the risk of depleting your natural stores.

Vitamin C
What It does: boosts immune function
Vitamin C is probably the most widely used single vitamin. It's known as an antioxidant, and is often recommended as a remedy for the common cold. There is even research to suggest that it may have cancer preventing properties due to its ability to aid the body in fighting off malicious cells.
Who Should Take it?
The RDA for Vitamin C intake is 40mg per day – although, as with many health guidelines, the numbers suggested only really take into account the amount necessary to avoid health problems relating to a vitamin deficiency. In the fitness industry we’re far more focused on optimising health. I take vitamin C year round to avoid minor colds and flus, and if I do feel something creeping up on me I’ll take a high dose of 2000-3000mg, which I find often turns the tide in my favour and allows me to avoid getting sick. In my opinion, anyone with a strenuous and active lifestyle should consider supplementing Vitamin C as a general boost to the immune system.

Glucosamine
What it does: supports joints
Glucosamine is formed naturally in the body as a combination of glucose and the aforementioned amino acid Glutamine. It repairs cartilage and other tissue. While we form glucosamine naturally, production in our bodies slows as we age.

Multi Vitamins and Multi Minerals
What it does: Overall Health
By the time our food has been harvested, refined, packaged, transported and left on supermarket shelves, a lot of its original nutrients are lost. Eating the highest quality food can offset this challenge considerably, but it's expensive and not always practical. As a work around, I recommend that everyone takes a multi vitamin and multi mineral supplement each day to keep their body enriched with essential nutrients.
Who should take it?
Everyone, especially those engaged in heavy physical activity or who are unable to fully control their diet or quality of food sources. Many health problems – both minor and major – can be traced back to a vitamin or mineral deficiency.
If I could take just one supplement on this list, this would be it.

I am sure you are a sports person and would certainly need some supplements to help your body keep in shape even when you exert it while sporting.
Call us today 08170547494 or visit www.dabarpharmacy.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Every Sports Person Should Know by BigBizzy(m): 4:35pm On Nov 03, 2014
informative

but in the wrong forum
Re: What Every Sports Person Should Know by dabarpharmacy: 12:47pm On Nov 04, 2014
BigBizzy:
informative
but in the wrong forum

Thanks. Where should this have been?
Re: What Every Sports Person Should Know by Benjamin702: 5:45pm On Jul 12, 2021
Thank you, you are right, everyone needs a whole complex of vitamins so that he can keep his body active and recover well. I also think about mass gainer, and other sports nutrition that can help me achieve my goals.

(1) (Reply)

After The Match...... What Liverpool Fans Still Thinks. / Philip Hughes Dies 2days After Ball Hits Head At 25.. / Native Doctors That Advertist On Sports Newspapers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.